Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Yeah I mean if you count the entirety of Tesla S sales against the numbers of luxury EV by other brands and split the numbers of the latter by trim level and treat every region for them as separately and focus on urban regions with a million charging stations I guess you could say people buy them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

The loving tube was only 12 inches in diameter?

:lol::lol:
They ran a section of Falcon 9 oxidizer pipe off the assembly line and hacked it together.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

GWBBQ posted:

They ran a section of Falcon 9 oxidizer pipe off the assembly line and hacked it together.

It is made of rocket parts & named wild boar

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

the internet is a series of tubes it therefore stands to reason that an internet nerd is also an expert on rocket and death tubes

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
@Orcanius or anyone else

what happens with the battery after you own an electric car for 2 years? 5 years?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

underage at the vape shop posted:

@Orcanius or anyone else

what happens with the battery after you own an electric car for 2 years? 5 years?

You won't care.
because your car will have killed you

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

@Orcanius or anyone else

the charge capacity diminishes and you lose range. depending on the battery capacity and the firmware/charge controllers, maybe a lot.

tesla actually has pretty good battery management, or did on the model s, so it's hard to say what the actual impact will be

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

infernal machines posted:

it's hard to say what the actual impact will be
My money's on pedestrian or emergency vehicle.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
heyoooo

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

infernal machines posted:

the charge capacity diminishes and you lose range. depending on the battery capacity and the firmware/charge controllers, maybe a lot.

tesla actually has pretty good battery management, or did on the model s, so it's hard to say what the actual impact will be

they say the losses are very small but they also lie about their mileage so

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I met a true believer irl whoalso works for Tesla. Goddamn.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Xelkelvos posted:

:gonk: Goondolences.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

@Orcanius or anyone else

In the US ev batteries need to be warrantied for at least 8 years or 100k miles. So over 5 years you won't need to worry too much because if the battery degrades they will have to replace it. Because of that most manufacturers will build their batteries to have larger capacities than advertised to account for the battery going to poo poo.

Eventually though they will degrade to the point of uselessness and will need to be replaced. Which is expensive as gently caress. This is also why used EVs are often sold for bargain prices (beyond what would be expected from normal depreciation).

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

lol this guy is fun to reply to, he gets mad real easy

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Raldikuk posted:

In the US ev batteries need to be warrantied for at least 8 years or 100k miles. So over 5 years you won't need to worry too much because if the battery degrades they will have to replace it. Because of that most manufacturers will build their batteries to have larger capacities than advertised to account for the battery going to poo poo.

Eventually though they will degrade to the point of uselessness and will need to be replaced. Which is expensive as gently caress. This is also why used EVs are often sold for bargain prices (beyond what would be expected from normal depreciation).

Yeah I get that fossil fuels have to go but its going to suck when you can't buy a cheap 10 year old car anymore. It's going to especially suck for poor people who will have to get poo poo loans to get a reliable car once ICE are gone. Unless we miraculously pull some crazy new battery tech out of our collective asses.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
met a guy at the bar tonight who works for nxp in their autonomous vehicle division and dug in on Tesla with him

he didn't have much beyond buzzwords but LOVED CAR

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Xelkelvos posted:

man its like meeting a heavens gate member before that spaceship came around what took em away

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

@Orcanius or anyone else

According to teslas self diagnostic software they lose about 3 percent capacity per year so you are looking at an 80% lifetime of about 7 years. Might be possible that the drainage slows down a bit over time but still, I can't fathom these packs surviving a decade before ending their life cycle and I bet there's some really nasty things happening then with people in tears about the insane repair bill on their barely 10 year old car.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
3% a year sounds like a lie.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Yeah I get that fossil fuels have to go but its going to suck when you can't buy a cheap 10 year old car anymore. It's going to especially suck for poor people who will have to get poo poo loans to get a reliable car once ICE are gone. Unless we miraculously pull some crazy new battery tech out of our collective asses.

Although the last time I mentioned it people got super angry but w/e...

1. The end of fossil fuels does not mean the end of internal combustion engines, we have had the technology to supplement them with regenerative and synthetic fuels for over 100 years now and it's not even that much more expensive (depending on your market, if you buy shell v power you already buy fuel that's not made from crude oil and its only marginally more expensive)

2. What really gives people brain spiders is that it'd unlikely we will even notice any fossil fuel shortage within our current driving generations. "peak oil" and the end of the world reserves has been proclaimed to be a few years away since the first oil crisis and so far turned out to be wrong ever since, because these statistics never factor in the improvements to oil reserve exploitation that allow to exploit reserves considered unreachable or unprofitable before. And even if oil gets too expensive, we have at least another century worth of stuff to burn and synthesize fuels from before we actually have to think about a major regenerative effort for transport energy.

I know it sucks and it won't the great for the climate but we aren't running out of poo poo to burn any time soon.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

3% a year sounds like a lie.

Somewhere itt there was a video of a dude explaining the expanded self diagnostic suite in an 80 kwh model S and that was the average yearly degradation after 2 years of use

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Isn't high super charger usage going to destroy your battery?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

Isn't high super charger usage going to destroy your battery?

Yeah, so is using it in the hot or cold or other things.

Some dudes put 400k miles on a model S and it's on it's third battery. the first one lasted 194,000 miles and only had 6% degredation, but the use of superchargers fried it.

https://electrek.co/2018/07/17/tesla-model-s-holds-up-400000-miles-3-years/

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Combat Theory posted:

1. The end of fossil fuels does not mean the end of internal combustion engines, we have had the technology to supplement them with regenerative and synthetic fuels for over 100 years now and it's not even that much more expensive (depending on your market, if you buy shell v power you already buy fuel that's not made from crude oil and its only marginally more expensive)

Diesel engines can run on drat near any flammable liquid/vapor with only minor tuning.
Vegetable oils work fantastic and dont even require industrial synthesis.

No clue how clean an old VW burning waste donut frier oil is though.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

The problem being that if we start using plants for vehicle fuel. The price of those plants will go up and farmers will start growing those instead of food and it will greatly effect people in poor countries.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Combat Theory posted:

2. What really gives people brain spiders is that it'd unlikely we will even notice any fossil fuel shortage within our current driving generations. "peak oil" and the end of the world reserves has been proclaimed to be a few years away since the first oil crisis and so far turned out to be wrong ever since, because these statistics never factor in the improvements to oil reserve exploitation that allow to exploit reserves considered unreachable or unprofitable before. And even if oil gets too expensive, we have at least another century worth of stuff to burn and synthesize fuels from before we actually have to think about a major regenerative effort for transport energy.

I know it sucks and it won't the great for the climate but we aren't running out of poo poo to burn any time soon.

Fracking and tar sands extraction is completely run on debt based on future earnings. Just because it's plugging the dike hole now, doesn't mean we have enough fingers or that it's a sustainable solution.

The real "relief valve" that might push off peak oil is the inevitable conflict reducing global population.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

poopinmymouth posted:

The real "relief valve" that might push off peak oil is the inevitable conflict reducing global population.
solve peak oil by completing the sixth mass extinction event to provide enough accumulated biological matter to provide fossil fuels for the next generation of sentient terrestrial species

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Katt posted:

The problem being that if we start using plants for vehicle fuel. The price of those plants will go up and farmers will start growing those instead of food and it will greatly effect people in poor countries.

That's why modern synthetic fuels are not made from resources that compete with agricultural reserves needed for food but rather from waste biomass or bio gas or other renewable means. Or if you live in the home country or Elon Musk, you just synthesize fuel from coal because hell why not (case in point about having a century left in the tank after we drilled out the last drop of oil)

The trick with synthetic fuels is a balance of resources vs power. If you have an abundance of renewable resources you only need very little power to synthesize fuels from it. If you have an abundance of power, you only need very little resources, or none at all (trough power-to-liquid) to synthesize fuels.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
thank god car fishmech is here to tell us how fossil fuels are super good and we can keep burning them until well after we all die, at which point who gives a gently caress about what happens to the world we left behind

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I'm not saying that's a cool or good thing, I'm just saying until a galactic brain comes up with a battery cell that doesn't suck for automotive applications that's where things are heading at the moment. Or people stop buying stupidly big cars but lmao at that thought.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Katt posted:

Poor countries could grow those crops too though and bring wealth to the area

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

redleader posted:

thank god car fishmech is here to tell us how fossil fuels are super good and we can keep burning them until well after we all die, at which point who gives a gently caress about what happens to the world we left behind

Hes saying we can not that we should

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

why can't we just feed live animals directly into the engine, kind of like Blood Drive

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

comedyblissoption posted:

solve peak oil by completing the sixth mass extinction event to provide enough accumulated biological matter to provide fossil fuels for the next generation of sentient terrestrial species

Sadly, the only reason we have oil and coal at all is that ancient trees evolved to use cellulose and lignin about 300 hundred million years before any bacteria evolved which could break that poo poo down.

So, when the plants died, that stuff just kinda, piled up.

Mass extinction now would leave us with bupkis.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Wachter posted:

why can't we just feed live animals directly into the engine, kind of like Blood Drive

This but neonazis instead of live animals.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ICE cars will be one of the last oil-burning things to fully go away, it is a very good usecase flexibility-wise. Electric cars will take up a lot of the market of course, but it likely will never fully compete on range (even if battery efficiency breakthroughs happen it will almost certainly be used to shrink the battery size and cost more than it will to further extent the range, precisely because ICE can, at basically no marginal cost, pick up the slack for the relatively uncommon cases where the range is needed).

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
the range thing will be a way bigger thing than an edge case. people buy crossovers for the 1 time a year they go camping.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

ICE cars will be one of the last oil-burning things to fully go away, it is a very good usecase flexibility-wise. Electric cars will take up a lot of the market of course, but it likely will never fully compete on range (even if battery efficiency breakthroughs happen it will almost certainly be used to shrink the battery size and cost more than it will to further extent the range, precisely because ICE can, at basically no marginal cost, pick up the slack for the relatively uncommon cases where the range is needed).

It's not range so much - most EVs can get >200 miles on a charge, some over 400 - it's charging time. The real use case for ICE vs batteries is that even the best technologies take several hours while filling a fuel tank takes minutes.

Which reminds me, I'm sure I saw an article years ago about batteries with quickly-replaceable electrolytes, meaning that you could actually recharge them almost as quickly as you can with hydrocarbon fuel (e.g. for a lead-acid battery you pump in fresh sulphuric acid while draining the acid+water left behind as the battery discharges), except they were working on electrolytes that were much easier to separate. Can't find it now and I'm guessing it got dropped in favour of lithium-based chemistries because of all of their other advantage, but it did seem an interesting compromise.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Combat Theory posted:

I'm not saying that's a cool or good thing, I'm just saying until a galactic brain comes up with a battery cell that doesn't suck for automotive applications that's where things are heading at the moment. Or people stop buying stupidly big cars but lmao at that thought.

or the right answer, an end to personal automotive transportation being a required part of life in much of the industrialized world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's not range so much - most EVs can get >200 miles on a charge, some over 400 - it's charging time. The real use case for ICE vs batteries is that even the best technologies take several hours while filling a fuel tank takes minutes.

Which reminds me, I'm sure I saw an article years ago about batteries with quickly-replaceable electrolytes, meaning that you could actually recharge them almost as quickly as you can with hydrocarbon fuel (e.g. for a lead-acid battery you pump in fresh sulphuric acid while draining the acid+water left behind as the battery discharges), except they were working on electrolytes that were much easier to separate. Can't find it now and I'm guessing it got dropped in favour of lithium-based chemistries because of all of their other advantage, but it did seem an interesting compromise.

energy density was probably poo poo because you had to space the electrodes far enough away to allow the electrolyte to easily flow.

the range thing will be a way bigger thing than an edge case. people buy crossovers for the 1 time a year they go camping.

the average person might not take a long car trip in a year, but the average car will absolutely take one or more long trips in its service lifetime.

I wonder if the solution might not be for a manufacturer to partner up with a rental company to offer a bank of a few weeks of an equivalent ICE loaner when you purchase.