Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BlackMK4 posted:

Printed some brake ducts that fit into stock blanking plates of my front bumper

Dangit, I really need to get a 3D printer.

KakerMix posted:

Began tearing into the Bongo in order to clean almost 28 years of never-cleaned construction 'stuff' out of it. Everything is vinyl which is good but bad because I keep burning through magic erasers :v:

I keep forgetting to buy a box of those to use for cleaning stuff.

I finally put a bumper on the shitbox:

It's just a fiberglass thing. I still need to buy some square tubing and build an actual bumper under there. I'm not confident it'll stay there @ 70 MPH as it is, but now I know where the actual bumper bar needs to go.

edit: please excuse the hard parking. That was to get access to the retaining screws for the bumper and the inner fender. Also, it looks 20% cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Vanagoon posted:

If it's soft enough plastic and it won't push further down into the tube try driving a coarse thread wood screw with a fine point into the top of it, and use pliers to grab onto the screw to haul it out.

Big long drywall screws are great for this sort of thing.

I considered that, but I think it'll just be safer to pull the tube so I don't accidentally get anything in the pan if something were to go awry. It doesn't look too bad, but it is definitely jammed in there solid. My replacement should be here in a few days.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

EvilBeard posted:

I considered that, but I think it'll just be safer to pull the tube so I don't accidentally get anything in the pan if something were to go awry. It doesn't look too bad, but it is definitely jammed in there solid. My replacement should be here in a few days.

You know...deep down...and we've all been there...replacing is going to be a helluva harder than removing.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
If you're going to remove the dipstick tube why not try and make an adapter to use air or water pressure to force the broken stick out?

Like, Put a basketball needle in a bike pump, and put a hose over the fat part of the needle and the other end over the end of the dipstick tube, and blow it on out. A bit of fuel line would be a perfect bridge for that purpose.

Same with a garden hose, I've been known to clear seemingly intractable clogs in bagless vacuum cleaner hoses by poking a garden hose in one end and cranking it wide open. One of those little super basic nozzles like this would be great for attaching a hose to the dipstick tube using a bit of fuel or vacuum line or something
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sun-Joe-2-in-1-Twist-Hose-Nozzle-Jet-Sweeper-Nozzle-8211-SJI-4BHNC/46408934

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 5, 2018

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I started it.

For the first time since probably like 2011 (not sure, the tabs on it expired 2010) and the first time ever in my possession.

The 12A wants to idle at 3000 RPM and I think I'm supposed to idle it in the driveway at more like 2000-2500 rpm for breaking it in , so I have to figure out how to get the idle down.

Also, the Racing Beat system on it is loud AF so I'm sure my neighbors are like a week away from hating my guts.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Soldered up a secondary air injection simulator for the S2000 a couple weeks ago so I could ditch the air pump, lines, check valve, etc. Car was dead when I went to move it a couple days later, figured it was because I hosed up the wiring or because I use a 170cca PC680 (https://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-PC680-Battery/dp/B0002ILK6I) battery in it that has been in the car since before I bought it two years ago. I let it sit without being started for weeks at a time so I usually leave it on a tender.

Nope, popped into my head a few minutes ago that I left the loving bluetooth OBD reader plugged in AGAIN. Goddamn thing drains the battery dead in a day every time I forget about it.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

clutchpuck posted:

I started it.

For the first time since probably like 2011 (not sure, the tabs on it expired 2010) and the first time ever in my possession.

The 12A wants to idle at 3000 RPM and I think I'm supposed to idle it in the driveway at more like 2000-2500 rpm for breaking it in , so I have to figure out how to get the idle down.

Also, the Racing Beat system on it is loud AF so I'm sure my neighbors are like a week away from hating my guts.

I’m sure everyone in a two mile radius is hating me as well since my 12A is currently running some sort of “custom” header and front section to an old Pacesetter rear, and is insanely loud even under 3k rpm.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I’m sure everyone in a two mile radius is hating me as well since my 12A is currently running some sort of “custom” header and front section to an old Pacesetter rear, and is insanely loud even under 3k rpm.

The sound of a straight piped rotary is pure sex (but only to the person redlining it before grabbing the next gear....).

doogle
May 24, 2003

My wife's civic came back from the dealer with an oil change and a note in the file saying that the oil level was over capacity due to oil/fuel dilution. Other than that they do not have a "fix" or anything other than a TSB right now.

In other news:

I hard wired my Valentine One to the rearview mirror in my Chevy SS. It was super simple to do, I just cut the end off of a phone cord, threw a 2A fuse-able link between the radar detector and the mirror wiring harness, and soldered some pins that fit in the back of the mirror plug which piggybacks on the 12v the car supplies to the mirror. Much cleaner than the spiral power cable from the cigarette lighter and I didn't have to run a power cable under the weatherstripping and across the side impact airbag.

also:
I got a set of gen 2 CTS-V brakes for the SS for super cheap thanks to cyber monday. Ignore how dirty the wheels are, it is cold outside.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

doogle posted:

My wife's civic came back from the dealer with an oil change and a note in the file saying that the oil level was over capacity due to oil/fuel dilution. Other than that they do not have a "fix" or anything other than a TSB right now.

In other news:

I hard wired my Valentine One to the rearview mirror in my Chevy SS. It was super simple to do, I just cut the end off of a phone cord, threw a 2A fuse-able link between the radar detector and the mirror wiring harness, and soldered some pins that fit in the back of the mirror plug which piggybacks on the 12v the car supplies to the mirror. Much cleaner than the spiral power cable from the cigarette lighter and I didn't have to run a power cable under the weatherstripping and across the side impact airbag.

also:
I got a set of gen 2 CTS-V brakes for the SS for super cheap thanks to cyber monday. Ignore how dirty the wheels are, it is cold outside.

Who the hell had Cyber Monday deals on those monsters?

Also, what kind of calipers are they replacing? Brembo 4 pots?

Also, what are you going to do with the old ones...?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

New door seals on the FB. The old ones were so perished you could see inside the car through them with the doors closed.

This job is not fun in below freezing temperatures outside (I let my wife park the FXT inside since I’m nice).

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

gently caress car doors. Cripes removing the cards/panels are a pain (and you always destroy something in the process.) Then, my god, peel back the plastic weather shield and you are left dealing with an adhesive that is used on spacecraft.

Of course after that, if your hands are larger than someone that is five years old get a tetanus shot.

Rant over.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Colostomy Bag posted:

gently caress car doors. Cripes removing the cards/panels are a pain (and you always destroy something in the process.) Then, my god, peel back the plastic weather shield and you are left dealing with an adhesive that is used on spacecraft.

Of course after that, if your hands are larger than someone that is five years old get a tetanus shot.

Rant over.

Good thing I don’t have door panels!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Colostomy Bag posted:

Rant over.

This.

I had my driver door on my 4runner blow open during a gust of wind. Had to replace the door check/stop. It should have been a simple 5 minute fix by unbolding the four bolts and replacing them. After replacing it, I realized my window wouldn't roll down. I looked into it and saw that the door check bent far enough to grab my window track and pinch/bend it enough so that my window couldn't roll up or down. It took 2-3 days to finally get it working properly again. Trying to bend a U shaped steel track blindly with your hands up the door like a veterinarian up a cows bum was tricky to say the least. I could get my door apart blindfolded now.

Then I had a rear license plate bolt head snap off and couldn't get it out so I had to remove my rear hatch panel and go in from the inside. The weather membrane and black mystery adhesive straight up sucks.

I hate getting behind panels.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Colostomy Bag posted:

Rant over.

Man, I hear that second part. I had to fix both the rear window tracks in the Nova and your think I was wrestling a cat by the time I was done with them both. And of course all of the work is done blind because your arm is in the way of actually seeing anything.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Solution: employ 5 year olds as surrogate hands.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

I had one set up with a header, straight pipe, stock muffler. My friends still remind me how loud it was and I sold the car in like 2003. This might be right up there. I sort of anticipated the pre silencer would do something

doogle
May 24, 2003

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Who the hell had Cyber Monday deals on those monsters?

Also, what kind of calipers are they replacing? Brembo 4 pots?

Also, what are you going to do with the old ones...?

They are replacing the stock Chevy SS 4 pot brembos (which are the same as gen 1 CTS-V).

EBC had a deal on rotors/pads for them too:

If you have an application you want the factory brakes for, I’ll cut you a deal.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Oh maaan. Those 1st Gen cts-v brembos will bolt on to my Nova with some z06 rotors. I'm pretty sure I'd have to go to 18" wheels though. I really don't have the scratch for it right now, but thanks for the offer. Dang.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Got it to idle at a reasonable speed?

https://youtu.be/WJIgRGp8mv4

It will rev too.

https://youtu.be/FpqHMgckeis

Found some oil leaks after running. Coming from the not very tight oil cooler line fittings, which I expected. Next time I have daylight, I'm going to tighten them just enough.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Changed the oil in both the Rugger and Bongo. Bongo just uses Miata filters so like 6 bucks at any auto parts store and 4~ quarts of oil. Rugger is a little more complicated, 13 bucks on Amazon :negative: plus 6.1~ quarts. Rugger insists on having a giant skid plate underneath too so that was a nice surprise.

Then I took the running boards off the Rugger as it turns out any SUV I get from Japan that has running boards looks better without them, and it was a lot easier to get to the oil change stuff without them. I then scrubbed clean the wheels and trim restored the black plastic using 303.

Going to be powder coating the wheels a gold/bronze color to match the decals on the side (and the bitchin' tire cover) and then mount them on so BF Goodrich KO2s with white letters OUT.

EDIT
and then I'll probably actually wash/detail the whole truck.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

KakerMix posted:

Changed the oil in both the Rugger and Bongo. Bongo just uses Miata filters so like 6 bucks at any auto parts store and 4~ quarts of oil. Rugger is a little more complicated, 13 bucks on Amazon :negative: plus 6.1~ quarts. Rugger insists on having a giant skid plate underneath too so that was a nice surprise.

God that fraction quart poo poo annoyed the hell out of me when we had our old civic. 3.4 Quarts. Well hell, kinda fill that last fourth one out trying to tell when it is close to half. Wait 10 drat seconds for the level to stabilize and repeat yada yada. Hell it felt like building a bomb. Then, of course you toss the .6 qts left on the shelf and the next time you do the oil change you ask yourself "Man, should I trust this, did I do something with this, etc."

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Colostomy Bag posted:

God that fraction quart poo poo annoyed the hell out of me when we had our old civic. 3.4 Quarts. Well hell, kinda fill that last fourth one out trying to tell when it is close to half. Wait 10 drat seconds for the level to stabilize and repeat yada yada. Hell it felt like building a bomb. Then, of course you toss the .6 qts left on the shelf and the next time you do the oil change you ask yourself "Man, should I trust this, did I do something with this, etc."

I bought a few cheap measuring cups from Walmart and don't even pour out any extra from the jug.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

clutchpuck posted:

I bought a few cheap measuring cups from Walmart and don't even pour out any extra from the jug.

Yeah, you are a much brighter bulb than myself. I'd lose the measuring cups in the morass of what I call my garage.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That is why I bought a few

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
Did a coolant flush on the MS3. I only ended up needing to put 1 gallon of fresh coolant in to fill it up, but the capacity is 2 gallons per the manual. Guess that means I need to do this a couple more times to get all of the old stuff out. :sigh:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There might also still be air in there. Don't forget to bleed it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
On the topic of coolant bleeding - Lisle funnels are cheap as poo poo on Amazon and worth every single penny
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-24610-Spill-Free-Funnel/dp/B001A4EAV0

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

So I bought this carb for the FB and I’m having questions as to what it really is. It doesn’t match visually with the standard Nikki carb. Any ideas? It was pulled from an 85 RX7.

Stock carb

Newly delivered Nikki

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That looks nothing like an FB Nikki to me.

Maybe it came of a SA or earlier 12A? I have no idea what those carbs look like but I hear there are considerable differences...

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 10, 2018

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

clutchpuck posted:

Which is exactly why I’m asking what it might actually be, since it was pulled off an FB

Edit: Carter?

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 10, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

On the topic of coolant bleeding - Lisle funnels are cheap as poo poo on Amazon and worth every single penny
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-24610-Spill-Free-Funnel/dp/B001A4EAV0

Thanks. I've been meaning to look those up since I recently saw a couple YouTubers using them (Aging Wheels, for one.) Added to "Tools" list.

clutchpuck posted:

Maybe it came of a SA or earlier 12A? I have no idea what those carbs look like but I hear there are considerable differences...

Not an SA, but probably still earlier rotary. SA Nikki looks pretty much like the FB.

edit: This guy had the same issue. Looks like it's amn early '70 12A carb.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 10, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

doogle posted:

In other news:

also:

Back when I was looking at brake upgrades for my Cutlass, first-gen 4-piston CTS-V Brembo calipers were amazingly cheap, literally the cheapest Brembo caliper available. How cheap (or "cheap") were those, if you don't mind my asking?
Jeeze, now it looks like the later rear calipers are as big as the first-gen front calipers!

New door seals on the FB. The old ones were so perished you could see inside the car through them with the doors closed.

This job is not fun in below freezing temperatures outside (I let my wife park the FXT inside since I’m nice).

Whose seals did you use? I've heard that some of the aftermarket ones are "too thick". The one's on my '79 aren't so much "perished" as mostly nonexistent.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Darchangel posted:

Thanks. I've been meaning to look those up since I recently saw a couple YouTubers using them (Aging Wheels, for one.) Added to "Tools" list.

Sorry, this one is cheaper and has the lid. I didn't realize they had multiple version :psyduck: - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A6AS6LY/

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Darchangel posted:

Back when I was looking at brake upgrades for my Cutlass, first-gen 4-piston CTS-V Brembo calipers were amazingly cheap, literally the cheapest Brembo caliper available. How cheap (or "cheap") were those, if you don't mind my asking?
Jeeze, now it looks like the later rear calipers are as big as the first-gen front calipers!

Whose seals did you use? I've heard that some of the aftermarket ones are "too thick". The one's on my '79 aren't so much "perished" as mostly nonexistent.

I got the Metro ones off Amazon. They are pretty drat thick but after a few times of closing them they are compressing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Sorry, this one is cheaper and has the lid. I didn't realize they had multiple version :psyduck: - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A6AS6LY/

Even better!

I got the Metro ones off Amazon. They are pretty drat thick but after a few times of closing them they are compressing.

That's kind of how I read the comments, hence the quotes. They just need a little time to conform. Though apparently the factory ones fit "better" from the start.
Also, I added an edit to my comment on the carburetor above to the effect that you've got an early '70s 12A carb, in case you missed it.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Darchangel posted:

That's kind of how I read the comments, hence the quotes. They just need a little time to conform. Though apparently the factory ones fit "better" from the start.
Also, I added an edit to my comment on the carburetor above to the effect that you've got an early '70s 12A carb, in case you missed it.

Yeah I saw that thanks. 12A is a 12A so I’ll toss it on there and see how she performs. Less emissions bullshit on this one anyhow.

I thought about getting the factory seals from Atkins but at $58/pair the Metro ones were half the price.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
On the weekend, we drove about 1200 km to deliver stuff to storage before we move to across the Pacific. My 97 Ranger had been exhibiting a slowly-worsening hesitation / shuddering issue that felt like a misfire but wasn't throwing a CEL (and it's not a blown CEL bulb, my scanner comes up clean). This truck has a history of problems with cylinder #4 due to a teeny-tiny oil leak that's never been *quite* worth the hassle of tracking down when a simple spark-plug swap will solve the problem for a year or so.

The shuddering happens under load. When the truck is empty, it doesn't happen unless I'm accelerating up a hill, especially in 3rd or 4th. Packed to the gills with boxes of books, it shuddered in any gear at all times except coasting down in gear from highway speeds, or descending steep hills.

Weirdly, the issue has completely gone away. Mid-trip Friday, having driven about 200 km with another 200 to go, it was not shuddering at all after lunch. The next time I shut it down and then started up again (fuel & bathroom break), the problem did not return. The next day, after the engine had cooled completely (to about -10 C), again no problem, and the problem still has not returned at all.

I'm happy about this - driving with a shudder like that is irritating and worrying - but confused. Literally nothing changed, except (like a computer), turning it off then on again a few minutes later.

tl/dr: What did I do? NOTHING, yet it's better

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ok thanks all you guys for the help in ID’ing that carb. The base plate is wrong for my intake manifold so I decided to do a ghetto mechanical secondary/AP mod on my stock Nikki. Yes that’s a paper clip mechanically linking the secondaries to the throttle linkage. If I like this I’ll throw a spot of weld on there and make it permanent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie: