Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

bees get stuck in my house daily and i just scoop them with my hands and bring them outside theyre chill af

That's not normal and you should probably squish those scouts unless you want 'em telling a swarm you have sugary treats to share

Because if they swarm for a new hive guess where they'll pick

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiwa4ADVp64

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Beads?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

Oh that's interesting, what about on digital format? Does it still work the same way?

Frame interpolation similar to sports tv mode does is weirdly off putting though

It's different. They have the same fundamental constraint that human persistence of vision requires flickering to be faster than the base 24 fps frame rate, but because different systems use different technologies for controlling illumination they each solve the problem differently. Film projection is more standardized since all film projectors fundamentally have to work based on shining light through physical film. There's also various solutions to this problem in home viewing.

It also gets wrapped up in the issue that a flicker can reduce the appearance of motion blur. So there's benefit in merely making it fast enough humans can't quite see it without actually eliminating it the way that some digital systems can. You even get digital display systems that artificially insert very short black frames to get the anti-motion blur effect. Interpolation is a more extreme solution to the same problem, with the issue, as you say, of looking bad in its own way.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
in concert news, i'm seeing Magic Sword next week for the second time, and then the very next loving day I'm seeing Ministry and Carpenter Brut

:unsmigghh:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also they did a live-action PV for the new Berserk volume

it's... something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm5T5Ok2Gms

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Too late, you reminded me that the movie was out so I went and saw it. And, yeah, definitely catch it. It's got a really deft mix of the grounded and the fantastical.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
So today I sold about $15 worth of CDs at the record exchange only to then by, like, $65 in movies, but I actually made out like a bandit in terms of great stuff I've seen before and some blind buys with potential:

- Baz Luhrmann's Red Curtain Trilogy (never seen Strictly Ballroom)
- Best of the B's Collection 1: Hot Bikes, Cool Cars & Bad Babes - I've never seen any of these: Angels Hard as They Come, The Wild Ride, Bury Me an Angel, The Fast and the Furious, Naked Angels, The Winner (a.k.a. Pit Stop), and T-Bird Gang
- The Wicker Man
- Hi, Mom!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dang I love Hi, Mom!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I also checked out Airheads from the library

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
At my work, the Bitcoin guy and Fox news grandpa have teamed up to have lunch together in the common area. Already heard "liberals tricked everyone into buying houses which caused the recession". Truely a meeting of the most powerful brains.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Gorman Thomas posted:

At my work, the Bitcoin guy and Fox news grandpa have teamed up to have lunch together in the common area. Already heard "liberals tricked everyone into buying houses which caused the recession". Truely a meeting of the most powerful brains.

Are these actual positions at your job? Let me know if they are ever looking for a new Bitcoin guy, I might know somebody

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just found out the Crowded House song is called "Don't Dream It's Over." I always thought it was "The Dream Is Over."

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

The Peccadillo posted:

That's not normal and you should probably squish those scouts unless you want 'em telling a swarm you have sugary treats to share

Because if they swarm for a new hive guess where they'll pick

Pretty sure their hive is in my attic. It's been a common occurrence for like a year now.

COEXIST, yall.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Never

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I'm starting to drink herbal/green tea in the morning to try and a) be moderately healthier and b) give me an excuse to start reading my growing pile of books and honestly I think I've been tricked into drinking hot water.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

How is the edit going can we see it?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

I, Butthole posted:

I'm starting to drink herbal/green tea in the morning to try and a) be moderately healthier and b) give me an excuse to start reading my growing pile of books and honestly I think I've been tricked into drinking hot water.

Maybe try a genmaicha? The tea leaves are mixed with roasted rice, so it has a nutty flavor almost like popcorn. It’s not so similar to other green tea in terms of flavor, but it’s got a bolder taste than most.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Green/black tea makes me nauseous, herbal mint tea for life.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

An afternoon vanilla chai to get through the last couple hours of work, imo

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

An afternoon vanilla chai to get through the last couple hours of work, imo

My choice for this is a cold Tazo Passion tea, 50% because it's delicious and tart and 50% because it's free at my office. If it's super cold, I go Spearmint or Earl Grey.

I'm about ready for a maiden voyage at making my own kombucha and have a big bag of gunpowder green that was on sale on Amazon ready for that, but I haven't tried it yet~

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Somehow bees made me laugh the hardest when watching Wreck It Ralph 2.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Coffee And Pie posted:

Green/black tea makes me nauseous, herbal mint tea for life.

Herbal “tea” ain’t tea. Tea is made from tea!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

People boil just any kind of plant parts and call it "tea".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

The MSJ posted:

It's like "Soy Milk," which is really soy juice, but no one would drink something called "Soy Juice."

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The MSJ posted:

I knew an audio mixer who would make tea and had his own custom tea leaf sep, but he'd crush nugs of marijuana in it too so his room would constantly smell like tea weed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

ruddiger posted:

I knew an audio mixer who would make tea and had his own custom tea leaf sep, but he'd crush nugs of marijuana in it too so his room would constantly smell like tea weed.

I don't think putting marijuana in hot water will get you high, it's fat soluble, not water soluble.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
lol if you dont consume insane amounts of preworkout energy drinks daily just to function

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I don't think putting marijuana in hot water will get you high, it's fat soluble, not water soluble.

That's what I told him! He insisted that he did it because it tasted good, but I tried some and it tasted pretty lovely.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Death By The Blues posted:

How is the edit going can we see it?

After about an hour of pacing around my room and getting pissed off at the project, something finally clicked and I ended up putting it together. It's not good, and needs more work. Might even make it into a 2 minute trailer. Not sure yet.

But no you can't see it. I did the NDA thing and all that. You may see it down the road but I'm not so sure.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

The MSJ posted:

Somehow bees made me laugh the hardest when watching Wreck It Ralph 2.

The bees joke is the highlight of that incredibly weird movie.

Like, WIR2 isn't a bad movie, it's actually mostly good, but it's just also loving weird and sometimes a little body-horror gross. It goes a lot of places I didn't expect Disney to go, it's like they accepted all ideas. Then of course, it goes the one place I did expect it to go, which is stopping the movie to become a commercial for other Disney properties.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I just noticed that you unfriended me on facebook, you monster.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Vargo posted:

The bees joke is the highlight of that incredibly weird movie.

Like, WIR2 isn't a bad movie, it's actually mostly good, but it's just also loving weird and sometimes a little body-horror gross. It goes a lot of places I didn't expect Disney to go, it's like they accepted all ideas. Then of course, it goes the one place I did expect it to go, which is stopping the movie to become a commercial for other Disney properties.

There have to be a subtext to stormtroopers being Disney's online security detail.

Also I did not expect the movie to visually quote WWZ (the movie) and a Clive Barker story (or the ending to Matrix trilogy game adaptation The Path of Neo).

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Someone uploaded von Stroheim's Greed to Vimeo in good quality. I've been meaning to watch it for ages, so this is great news, but I'm a bit confused about the running time. The video is 110 minutes long, while the information I find online lists the original cut as running for 140 minutes. Is the difference purely due to running at different fps, or is there an alternate version of Greed I don't know about?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CPL593H posted:

I just noticed that you unfriended me on facebook, you monster.

He doesn't associate with filthy shorts-wearers.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I’m watching Hard Boiled on YouTube. It’s been up for 6 years somehow.
https://youtu.be/crY_HlF5z9w

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

Someone uploaded von Stroheim's Greed to Vimeo in good quality. I've been meaning to watch it for ages, so this is great news, but I'm a bit confused about the running time. The video is 110 minutes long, while the information I find online lists the original cut as running for 140 minutes. Is the difference purely due to running at different fps, or is there an alternate version of Greed I don't know about?

The description notes that they edited it down for live presentation.

Which is kind of funny since all the big modern silent composers simply add intermissions so they can screen the complete films. Hell, Carl Davis is in his 80s and still doing live performances of the 5 1/2 hr. cut of Abel Gance's Napoleon with a full orchestra. I saw The Mark of Zorro with a live score and they simply had an intermission halfway through.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 6, 2018

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Samuel Clemens posted:

Check the wiki page for it. That's one weird story. There was a four hour "reconstruction" made several years ago.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

He doesn't associate with filthy shorts-wearers.

That was his idea!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Check the wiki page for it. That's one weird story. There was a four hour "reconstruction" made several years ago.

The weird thing about that live version is that they edited down the reconstruction, so it actually has less surviving footage than the theatrical cut because they left in stills-only sections.

Not a good score, either. The theatrical and reconstruction cuts as shown on TCM have full orchestral scores (theatrical cut by Carl Davis done for British TV and reconstruction by Robert Israel - both among the finest silent film composers).