Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

STAC Goat posted:

I honestly always though the "no lunch/toilets" thing was mostly just people looking for things to complain about, to be honest. Like, the ethical questions of locking them up without trial is totally fair. But complaining that there weren't toilets and working plumbing in the makeshift cells or that they weren't devoting time on the show to show them delivering lunches? C'mon.

I'm convinced that if the webisodes were just part of episodes we would have just complained about them wasting time with exposition nonsense we could have just assumed.

At the time, you were probably right. But it was a legitimate criticism -- they devoted so little time to explaining their superjail that it came off kind of oblivious. Usually on these kinds of shows they have a little end scene where the bad guy gets put into a cell with rows of other bad guys in cells and there are security people around that you assume handle bathroom breaks and dinner. On the Flash, they told you that they're storing people in the old particle accelerator (which probably wouldn't have plumbing), then they put the guy in a tiny little cube and then slide the wall down and you never hear from him again (unless they need him to stop someone else wreaking havoc, or his brain gets eaten, or whatever). I think they honestly should have put in a scene or two where Cisco brings them lunch, or they try to pull someone up to help with the monster of the week and the guy's straining one out on the can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
One of these shows should have sets of communal washroom and mess hall areas for the inmates. Like OITNB for metas, hellbeasts et al.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Didn't they end up vivisecting one of the pipeline mutants? But it turned out it was okay because he was super lovely towards Iris or Patsy or someone?

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

I loved the epsiode but, I was surprised to see the Paul Reubens credit at the end. I omehow failed to notice him in the epsiode.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Shaddak posted:

I loved the epsiode but, I was surprised to see the Paul Reubens credit at the end. I omehow failed to notice him in the epsiode.

He was a bit shorter and more felt like than normal.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Medullah posted:

He was a bit shorter and more felt like than normal.

Oh poo poo, I should have caught that. I thought that voice sounded familiar when the doll said, "wrong doll, dick!"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

Didn't they end up vivisecting one of the pipeline mutants? But it turned out it was okay because he was super lovely towards Iris or Patsy or someone?

Earth-2 Wells back alley lobotomized him in his cell to save his daughter, and this was universally acknowledged in-show to be a Really lovely Thing to have done.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Binary Logic posted:

One of these shows should have sets of communal washroom and mess hall areas for the inmates. Like OITNB for metas, hellbeasts et al.

Well, Legends does repeatedly reference the fact that there's only one bathroom so at least it's being covered. Though why they can't build another one in seems a bit odd to me.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

muscles like this! posted:

a big flaw in the early seasons of The Flash was them just handwaving away what happened to anyone who was stuck in the pipeline.
To be fair though, this wasn't a problem for very many of the metas they faced back then.

Team Flash didn't take many of them alive in the early seasons.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

seaborgium posted:

Well, Legends does repeatedly reference the fact that there's only one bathroom so at least it's being covered. Though why they can't build another one in seems a bit odd to me.

Who needs two bathrooms? Just go back in time to when it wasn’t occupied and do your thing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Who needs two bathrooms? Just go back in time to when it wasn’t occupied and do your thing.

I can totally see Mick being petty like that. Zari is in the bathroom, Mick's pounding on the door telling her to hurry, she tells him to hold his horses. "Fine, I'll just take care of my business some other time". Zari laughs, then suddenly gets a disgusted look on her face, looks down into the toilet, cut to "MICK!!!!!!" being screamed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

kjetting posted:

...every time I think it's not possible to love this show more! Embracing the stupid and going "full retard" is the best thing this show ever did.

Missed this earlier but please do not use the phrase "full retard" in the future.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They had Gideon show up on Flash this week and forgot that she had a different voice than on Legends.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

twistedmentat posted:

They had Gideon show up on Flash this week and forgot that she had a different voice than on Legends.

Really? The one on Flash sounded like Morena Baccarin to me

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

ShakeZula posted:

Really? The one on Flash sounded like Morena Baccarin to me

Flash Gideon is Morena Baccarin, Legends Gideon is Amy Pemberton. If the two Gideons want to get together and make out I'm 1000% ok with that.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

They also used her "new" CGI floaty head that supposedly Zari just made for her even though the scene took place in the past. Although whatever, both shows are loving with time, it's amazing anything in the timeline stays fixed.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've actually never really assumed that the two Gideons were the same "person." Like isn't Gideon the little thing Booster Gold plays with? So I always assumed it was just an easter egg first to Thawne time traveling and the "janitor in a museum" similar comic origin and then to Legends and Rip and the similarities and connections. For a while there weren't we speculating that Rip's kid was Booster? Or he is in the comics or something?

Or maybe its just that Legends Gideon and Flash Gideon are different v.X.X like Brainiac? That seems to make more sense that the Waverider's AI somehow ended up as Thawne's AI... or vice versa... and it never comes up. Wally has to have known of them both, right? Or Stein? Seems like it might have come up during that "Don't trust me" story.

Phenotype posted:

At the time, you were probably right. But it was a legitimate criticism -- they devoted so little time to explaining their superjail that it came off kind of oblivious. Usually on these kinds of shows they have a little end scene where the bad guy gets put into a cell with rows of other bad guys in cells and there are security people around that you assume handle bathroom breaks and dinner. On the Flash, they told you that they're storing people in the old particle accelerator (which probably wouldn't have plumbing), then they put the guy in a tiny little cube and then slide the wall down and you never hear from him again (unless they need him to stop someone else wreaking havoc, or his brain gets eaten, or whatever). I think they honestly should have put in a scene or two where Cisco brings them lunch, or they try to pull someone up to help with the monster of the week and the guy's straining one out on the can.

I just don't really agree. Like I think it makes sense to just assume that even though we all agree there's some ethical and moral complications around the idea of vigilantism and locking up dangerous super powered villains without trial when there wasn't at the time a viable system in place to deal with them, the concern that maybe Team Flash is just letting them just fill their cells with piles of piss and poo poo until they starve to death is kind of silly. Like I never questioned "do they feed them?" because I just took it for granted that "Yeah, they feed them."

Like we don't question whether the Legends were feeding Charlie while she was locked in a cage in the middle of a room. The same basic situation is there and the Legends are established idiots and morally ambiguous people. And they've had other prisoners before when they were even less competent and more murdery. But we give it the benefit of the doubt because (a) we don't really need to be shown that kind of non-story or character thing and (b) we're enjoying the ride.

That's a BIG theory of mine when it comes to TVIV attitude. When we're enjoying a show we give it the benefit of the doubt, dismiss the little stuff, and excuse some big stuff. When we're not enjoying a show we nitpick the hell out of everything and start making a big deal about some really petty stuff.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 6, 2018

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Regardless of how you feel "No-Lunch Supermax" is a funny name and it stuck for the pipeline imprisonment system because it's funny.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Totally fair and true and the truth is I'll undermine myself a little bit and argue that I think on some level the focus on the very silly "No Lunch" thing was more of a kind of comical way to reference the more serious "No Trial" issue.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, the "no lunch" thing was always humorous allusion to the actual criticism.

STAC Goat posted:

Like we don't question whether the Legends were feeding Charlie while she was locked in a cage in the middle of a room.

Also, we actually see them do this. But I've seen people complain about Charlie's random kidnapping. "She looks like our absent friend! Don't let her get away!"

Arguably Legends gets away with it more because the leads are explicitly comically broken people. They're comedy characters, we expect them to transgress. The cast of The Flash are suggested to be more righteous, so it rankles when they take troubling action.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Mona is awful.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
That was pretty full on guy + guy action and outright stated gay love. I'm impressed, LOT still reigns supreme

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

STAC Goat posted:

I just don't really agree. Like I think it makes sense to just assume that even though we all agree there's some ethical and moral complications around the idea of vigilantism and locking up dangerous super powered villains without trial when there wasn't at the time a viable system in place to deal with them, the concern that maybe Team Flash is just letting them just fill their cells with piles of piss and poo poo until they starve to death is kind of silly. Like I never questioned "do they feed them?" because I just took it for granted that "Yeah, they feed them."

Like we don't question whether the Legends were feeding Charlie while she was locked in a cage in the middle of a room. The same basic situation is there and the Legends are established idiots and morally ambiguous people. And they've had other prisoners before when they were even less competent and more murdery. But we give it the benefit of the doubt because (a) we don't really need to be shown that kind of non-story or character thing and (b) we're enjoying the ride.

I mean, I don't think anyone actually thought that Team Flash was just letting all the prisoners starve to death, because we know they're not awful monsters. The jokes are because, as far as what's shown onscreen, they slide their prisoner's tiny cube back into the system and the guy sits there indefinitely.

I think the situation with Charlie was much different because, for one, she was stuck in something actually intended to be a jail cell. What even is a particle accelerator pipeline? It doesn't bring to mind something that's intended for human habitation, or plumbing or easy foot traffic. For another thing, the crew interacted with Charlie every episode, she wouldn't just disappear into the cell and not be heard from ever again. And there was a magic AI on the Waverider that's monitoring her to some degree. There was just so little discussion of the superjail on the Flash, and what we saw indirectly showed that it wasn't a real prison, that they really should have put a little more explanation there.

I don't think this is a good example of TVIV nitpicking either -- wasn't Flash S1 received really positively around here? I remember I had a Reverse Flash wallpaper on my screen for a good while afterwards.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sloth Life posted:

That was pretty full on guy + guy action and outright stated gay love. I'm impressed, LOT still reigns supreme

Yea you can totally have two women make out and such because gross homophobic guys are totally cool with that. But having dudes do it, that's pretty progressive.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

OK, I have to know--why do we call it "No-Lunch Supermax"?

I dunno, i've been pushing for Camp Xray Vision for years....

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rocksicles posted:

I dunno, i've been pushing for Camp Xray Vision for years....

That's the DEO.

englerp
Oct 13, 2011

Popelmon posted:

They're both terrible but still better than the Hawk-people.

Nah, they are both ok imho .

Agree on the Hawkpeople though, they were terrible. At least Hawkman was, Hawkgirl was one of those characters who just, well they are there.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hawkgirl was absolutely godawful and terrible. However, that can be easily offset by the fact that Hawkman was beyond bad and he existed only for the purpose of following Hawkgirl so you never had the chance of seeing him standing out by himself, so Hawkgirl was always presented together with Hawkman providing an unfair comparison.

The whole character of Hawkman was beyond creepy. Looking apathetic almost to the point of sociopathic while going "I understand you like to think you have a choice in finding a partner but you should know that no matter what you think or feel you will be my girlfriend forever and ever :) it is pointless to resist" was the entirety of his awful, awful, awful character.

Having them gone was a gigantic upgrade.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thad Castle is the best Hawkman

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
oh my god (spoilers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR2u7RwTi4M

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Custodians of the Chronology holy poo poo this show

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rocksicles posted:

Thad Castle is the best Hawkman

He really is

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DC’s Holy poo poo, What IS This Show?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Someone liked Kung Fury.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

nine-gear crow posted:

DC’s Holy poo poo, What IS This Show?

Along those lines, comicbook.com interviewed puppet Nate, Sara and Ray

quote:

What are your feelings on Beebo?

Puppet Steel: Hey buddy. Beebo is a kids toy, alright? We might be warm and cuddly... and yes from time to time we solve our problems by singing songs… But we’re real-rear end super-puppets, got it? I’d hate for you to find out just how real the hard way.

DC's Legends of Tomorrow: We’re Real-rear end Super-Puppets

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

There are many things I was not expecting in this.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Medullah posted:

Someone liked Kung Fury.

more like king furry lol

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
WHAT IF PEE-WEE HERMAN VOICED PUPPET STEIN BECAME A SERIES REGULAR

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

WHAT IF PEE-WEE HERMAN VOICED PUPPET STEIN BECAME A SERIES REGULAR

Gideon: it appears a number of magical phenomena are happening across the timeline

Puppet Stein: CONNECT THE DOTS LA LALALA

Sarah: He’s right, they’re all related!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I will not be satisfied unless this happens.

Edit: OMG imagine how DIggle would react to a living puppet