Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Lighter roasts have more caffeine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oromo
Jul 29, 2009

Decaff is made by processing the beans in a certain way (they are always well roasted, for one). The caffeine content can surely be increased as well by tweaking those parameters of the process in the other direction

Starbucks probably puts caffeine content as top priority for their beans because people then get more addicted and Starbucks is the big evil corp of coffeeshops

Oromo fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 26, 2018

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Oromo posted:

Decaff is made by processing the beans in a certain way (they are always well roasted, for one). The caffeine content can surely be increased as well by tweaking those parameters of the process in the other direction

Starbucks probably puts caffeine content as top priority for their beans because people then get more addicted and Starbucks is the big evil corp of coffeeshops
The decaffeination process is done before the beans are roasted, and they can then be roasted to whatever level you desire; decaf is most certainly not always well roasted. There is no process by which you can add extra caffeine to a coffee bean that I'm aware of, nor anyone doing so, but please post a source if you have one. There are gimmick roasters that claim their coffee has more caffeine than anyone else but the devil is usually in their recommended preparation methods, which would yield similar results regardless of what beans you were using.

If Starbucks cared about caffeine content above all else they would be serving much lighter roasts, as those naturally contain more caffeine (the roasting process burns it off). In fact, as Starbucks' target market's (average Americans) preferences have swung heavily towards huge, milky/sweet beverages they've had to further darken their roasts in order for the coffee flavor to cut though all that dairy and sugar, resulting in bitter, burnt roasts. 25 years ago their espresso was actually palatable, though not to my preference at the time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Starbucks probably just dumps more espresso into their drinks. Their serving sizes are huge also.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Starbucks coffee is strongly caffeinated while their espresso drinks aren't. They put only a single shot of espresso into a tall drink (12 oz), two into a grande (16oz), and also only two into a venti (20 oz). According to their website a tall made with Pike Place/"medium roast" coffee has 235 mg of caffeine while a tall pumpkin spiced latte has 75mg of caffeine, but a grande pumpkin spiced latte is made with two shots of espresso so it has 150mg of caffeine.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I was told that Starbucks roasts are so dark because they wanted their coffee to taste the same everywhere, but because they have so many stores over the world they have to source their coffee from pretty much anywhere, then roast it to blackness so there isn't even a hint of the origin of the coffee left.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
More like they can get away with buying cheap garbage since it all tastes the same after conversion to charcoal.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I think it's both. Starbucks correctly realizes that people want a predictable experience, not a good one. See, e.g. McDonalds. Upside? Overroasting beans means cheaper beans are fine.

Oromo
Jul 29, 2009

bizwank posted:

The decaffeination process is done before the beans are roasted, and they can then be roasted to whatever level you desire; decaf is most certainly not always well roasted. There is no process by which you can add extra caffeine to a coffee bean that I'm aware of, nor anyone doing so, but please post a source if you have one.
I didn't mean that there is some process that adds caffeine, just that different processing preserves the caffeine to a varying degree.

If more roasting burns the caffeine away it explains why many (all I've seen - which is not much tbh) decaff beans are sold well roasted. But it makes the Starbucks high caffeine content a mystery. Don't you think they add robusta? Many espresso blends, even expensive ones, contain some robusta

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Beans are made decaf by washing them with some kind of solvent, not by roasting them into oblivion. The decaf beans are then roasted dark to mask any off flavours caused by decaffeination, plus there's the perception that if you're buying decaf coffee then you don't care about taste anyway and will drink the worst most burnt coffees. It's a shame because when I (briefly) tried to cut caffeine out of my diet it was hard to find a decaf that actually tasted like coffee, though some microroasters will sell quality decaf.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

There are decaf green beans available out there, but since I don't drink it, I can't say as to how they taste.....

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I get decaf beans to roast from Sweet Maria's and take them to my mother when I go visit. They are weird to roast but taste much better than the average decaf out there.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/green-coffee/decaf.html

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah, Swiss Water decaf coffees tend to be quite good, but I still tend to see them roasted pretty dark anyway, so I'm not actually sure how much of an impact the process really has.

Our decaf blend is always a little darker because it helps us develop a flavour profile that we can keep pretty consistent no matter what beans we're using. It seems like our decaf customers prefer it that way.

I definitely think it would be cool to decafinate one of our single origins and roast it the same as the regular cafinated version, but I don't think I can talk anyone into it.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

If you like bright, citrus notes Three Raven's Blend from Velton's is a great medium roast decaf.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
Can anyone recommend a high quality thermos that is made in the US? Or somewhere other than China?

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Lovelyn posted:

Can anyone recommend a high quality thermos that is made in the US? Or somewhere other than China?

Zojirushi is top notch.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Zojirushi is awesome if you enjoy drinking your coffee 9 hours after you brew it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Zojirushi is awesome if you enjoy drinking your coffee 9 hours after you brew it.

I don’t think my old thermos was a zojirushi, but I had one off amazon that had this same “problem.” I kept getting the initial pang of a caffeine headache because the coffee was too hot to drink.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

DangerZoneDelux posted:

That really annoyed me at first so now I either pre-cool the coffee or cool the thermos a lot while I make the coffee.

Or ideally put a latte in since they are already at drinking temperature when I make them

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Are any of the canister milk frother devices worth owning?

I have a "Brikka" mokapot which actually makes some decent crema considering what it is. I usually add a bit of cream and I'd love to have it FROTHED. I had one of the battery-powered wand frothers once and it was a joke so I wonder if the canister style ones are any better. I do not see them for sale on any of the snooty espresso sites so maybe that is not a good sign... or they assume you have a proper espresso machine :/.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They don't really do the microfoam you get from fancy coffee shops. It's just a large volume of flavorless froth and you won't be doing anything like latte art with it.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Mu Zeta posted:

Goons with Sporks >The Coffee Thread: It's just a large volume of flavorless froth and you won't be doing anything like latte art with it.

New thread title please, mods

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I have the Aeroccino frother that came with my Nespresso and it's good at heating milk and giving it some body. If you leave the spring in it you can get some insane foam but you're definitely not going to be making latte art like the above poster said.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Heh I am not trying to make art, just add some nice texture to the milk.

The nespresso one looks neat but is a bit more expensive than I would consider spending on something like this.

If I end up buying something I will report back how foolish I feel after.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I got my mom a Zojirushi as a gift a while ago and at first she was convinced there was a hidden heating element somewhere in the mug because of how hot her coffee was hours later.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I went against my better judgement and got a Rancilio Silvia before getting an espresso-centric grinder. Anyone here have luck getting a decent grind with a Lido 3? I've set it to barely above the point where the burrs rub, have dosed in 14 grams, and tamped with a calibrated tamper but have consistently gotten 45 ml out in about fifteen seconds. It doesn't taste terrible, but there's definitely room for improvement.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Spiggy posted:

I went against my better judgement and got a Rancilio Silvia before getting an espresso-centric grinder. Anyone here have luck getting a decent grind with a Lido 3? I've set it to barely above the point where the burrs rub, have dosed in 14 grams, and tamped with a calibrated tamper but have consistently gotten 45 ml out in about fifteen seconds. It doesn't taste terrible, but there's definitely room for improvement.

Something seems off here. Forgetting about equipment for a moment, I believe 45ml is equivalent to 45 grams. Rule of thumb I use is a 1:2 ratio ground beans to liquid in the cup. When I do 20.2g in, 45g out doesn’t taste great (38-42 is fine).

Your 14 in should be 28 out or so. Maybe try dosing more (use a double basket), since in your case dosing less will be an even shorter time, and you need longer. Maybe 20 grams in your double basket will take a longer and give you a better tasing 40-45ml espresso.

Edit: also check your puck for holes or channeling. Could be a distribution issue on top of the ratio. Channeling would make it go asterthan you want, and make the taste more bitter/astringent.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Ultimate Mango posted:

Something seems off here. Forgetting about equipment for a moment, I believe 45ml is equivalent to 45 grams. Rule of thumb I use is a 1:2 ratio ground beans to liquid in the cup. When I do 20.2g in, 45g out doesn’t taste great (38-42 is fine).

Your 14 in should be 28 out or so. Maybe try dosing more (use a double basket), since in your case dosing less will be an even shorter time, and you need longer. Maybe 20 grams in your double basket will take a longer and give you a better tasing 40-45ml espresso.

Edit: also check your puck for holes or channeling. Could be a distribution issue on top of the ratio. Channeling would make it go asterthan you want, and make the taste more bitter/astringent.

The stock Silvia double baskets looked to be rated at about 14g, and there's little headroom between the puck and grouphead when I try to bump the dose up to the 17ish range. I'll try increasing the dose tomorrow morning and checking out the spent puck for channeling.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Spiggy posted:

The stock Silvia double baskets looked to be rated at about 14g, and there's little headroom between the puck and grouphead when I try to bump the dose up to the 17ish range. I'll try increasing the dose tomorrow morning and checking out the spent puck for channeling.

Yeah, I completely forgot to mention that I use a 20g bottomless basket.

Your Lido should be capable for making good grounds for you. You may also want to temperature surf if you don’t have a PID. If you go with a full basket, however many grams, just brush or wipe off the screen if anything is stuck there.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Spiggy posted:

fwiw everything I’ve read says the Lido 3 works but a lot of people get the Lido E for the sole purpose of “never, ever, ever changing their espresso grind setting once they get it dialed in”.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Are there any recommended kettles in the 30-40 dollar range? My office went through a relocation exercise, and I was moved away from the office breakroom with a hot water spout.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone iced coffee? Or cold brew? :gbsmith: I need an honest opinion, am I weird for asking for a splash of cream in my cold brews or putting a splash when I make cold brew?

I need verification that the local baristas are the weird ones, and not me.

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 7, 2018

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Does anyone liked coffee? Or cold brew? :gbsmith: I need an honest opinion, am I weird for asking for a splash of cream in my cold brews or putting a splash when I make cold brew?

Do you like it without the cream?

Do you like it with the cream?

My advice? Get the one you like and don’t give a gently caress what the barista thinks unless you are trying to get in their pants. Also, if they give you poo poo for how you like your coffee, definitely don’t tip*.

*unless, again, you are aiming for the pants.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I never tip :shepface:

Good to know, I recently discovered using heavy whipping cream and I don't know if I can drink coffee any other way now adays. Heard good things about butter aswell. Not to say I don't drink coffee black. Local Nitro Cold Crew shop has wonderful brews on tap. I'd happily drink them as is, but every now and then when I ask for cream they point me to the back corner where they keep the powered cream. :smith: I hate powder :smith:

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I never tip :shepface:

Good to know, I recently discovered using heavy whipping cream and I don't know if I can drink coffee any other way now adays. Heard good things about butter aswell. Not to say I don't drink coffee black. Local Nitro Cold Crew shop has wonderful brews on tap. I'd happily drink them as is, but every now and then when I ask for cream they point me to the back corner where they keep the powered cream. :smith: I hate powder :smith:

A coffee shop has powered cream?? That seems weird.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I use my Breville frother to cold whip some lactose free milk. Shits like drinking a chocolate milk shake when I mix it with my cold brew, no need for added sugar either. Best hot summer drink

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Does anyone liked coffee? Or cold brew? :gbsmith: I need an honest opinion, am I weird for asking for a splash of cream in my cold brews or putting a splash when I make cold brew?

I either have my coldbrew black or with enough extra poo poo to be categorized as a frappucino, anything in the middle feels like a weird uncanny valley of nasty to me.

qutius posted:

A coffee shop has powered cream?? That seems weird.

I mean it sounds to me like they're making a "if you can't drink it black your taste is terrible and you deserve powdered creamer" kind of statement, but

Democratic Pirate posted:

Are there any recommended kettles in the 30-40 dollar range? My office went through a relocation exercise, and I was moved away from the office breakroom with a hot water spout.

There's a Bonavita that's usually $50 on sale for $25 right now (at least, on my screen). If you ever drink tea I feel like getting one without a thermometer is a travesty, but those also run into the $80 range so

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Cream in cold brew is way more acceptable than in hot brew IMO. Not weird at all. It's very well-suited to it, especially since there's no real risk of screwing up the temperature.

(I say this while drinking a creamed-and-sugared hot brew, so not judging)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

If I have lovely coffee (read: Starbucks, Dunkin, etc), I have to add milk, half and half, sugar, etc. Decent coffee, which is pretty much 8 O'Clock or better, I can drink black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

There's a Bonavita that's usually $50 on sale for $25 right now (at least, on my screen). If you ever drink tea I feel like getting one without a thermometer is a travesty, but those also run into the $80 range so
Thanks! I don’t drink tea, and I’m less picky about my coffee at work so as long as a kettle can get water to boiling levels I’ll be good to go.

Re: cream in coffee: yes for cold brew, no for hot coffee. I can drink cold brew black, but a splash of half and half is great for everything besides calories imo.