Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Oh god drat IT. Playing RDR2 and slip up a shot on a 3 star elk, but I winged it. Start to chase it down and it loving runs into a lake and dies it away from shore where I can't even skin it or get the meat.

Dick move, elk. Dick move.

Wait til you need to get a 3-star panther! AKA, the one and only panther in the game. Thankfully, there is a very reliable way to get it done quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Anora posted:

When I first started playing it I thought it was Dark Souls, but after a bit I realized it was actually a Character Action game like DMC or Bayonetta. It does steal the souls/money death mechanic, and the Estus flask from Dark Souls.

Speaking of which, what was the first game to have an estus flask kind of thing where your healing item gets refilled when you drop by a checkpoint/town/whatever and you can improve their capacity as the game goes on? Warriors of the Lost Empire (2007) does it, but there's way older stuff where you just drop in to refill your gear like Soul Blazer (1992) too. That always made way more sense to me in Soul Blazer than almost any other game like that. Like you're the chosen one/avatar of god/whatever whose on a quest+race against time to save the universe so you don't even have any money at all you just walk into a shop when returning or after getting killed and they happily replenish your healing item/stuff for free. I think the first might literally be the earliest RPG with graphics that you could still consider it one today, Dragon Slayer (1984).

Anyway I always find this fascinating because a lot of cool ideas and ways of presenting visuals and information to abstract going on a magical fantasy adventure in a video game happened throughout the 80s, and we often see developers (especially today now that mid budget and indie games getting marketed releases on mainstream platforms are more of a thing), intentionally or not, go back to these concepts which is kind of the opposite of how they're often marketed and received by audiences. Reminds me of Contact on the DS, in the US it was advertised as being a very unique and different kind of game, I liked it a lot but the way you switch between "combat mode" and "defense mode," the discreet dungeons, there's not much going on in it that wasn't already being done regularly in the early 80s.

Video games are an industry where the AAA releases are so driven around "innovation" in their marketing, and it's only in the past few years that people at large have become collectively aware (or cynical) about that, like when Activision tried to hype up how they invented animated fish in water in a Call of Duty game a couple of years ago and were briefly a laughingstock for it. Or how with games like Dishonored we see developers more eager to wear their influences on their sleeve instead of having marketing team acting like it was an entirely new style of game never seen before in humanity which was a big part of how game marketing worked for ages no matter how untrue that was with the actual game.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 6, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Finally finished RDR2, just in time to buy more games from the current sale.

Verdict: Games are good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OcaZPWC6NU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Samuringa posted:

Finally finished RDR2, just in time to buy more games from the current sale.

Verdict: Games are good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OcaZPWC6NU

This owns but just a warning to anyone clicking, the Up Next for me had a video title that completely spoiled the end of the game :/

But back to the good video. The physics system is so good :swoon:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of which, what was the first game to have an estus flask kind of thing where your healing item gets refilled when you drop by a checkpoint/town/whatever and you can improve their capacity as the game goes on?

While not for health, the PS2 horror action game Extermination (2001) has a system where you collect rifle magazines. Every magazine you collect increased your capacity for 5.56×45mm NATO rounds. Safe rooms had an infinite refill for these, but they were pretty weak as far as firepower was concerned. This game was sweet btw.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

SettingSun posted:

While not for health, the PS2 horror action game Extermination (2001) has a system where you collect rifle magazines. Every magazine you collect increased your capacity for 5.56×45mm NATO rounds. Safe rooms had an infinite refill for these, but they were pretty weak as far as firepower was concerned. This game was sweet btw.

Hell yeah Extermination ruled. :hfive: I'm surprised it and Spy Fiction didn't get a reexamination once people realized who Hidetaka Suehiro/Swery65 was.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
See, the OTHER good thing about never watching video game channels on YouTube is that in all the years it’s been up I’ve never seen a spoiler for a game in a video title/preview image shown to me

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Montalvo posted:

Tried Iconoclasts last night and played through the first two levels. It seems fun, but I think it definitely suffers from the fact that I'm playing it concurrently with Hollow Knight, which is simply a better game on all fronts. I particularly dislike the writing in Iconoclasts; it makes absolutely no sense and is needlessly flowery in that sort of 'weaboo's first thesaurus' way.

:ssh: Celeste destroys them both.

Just a little fuel for the fire.

Montalvo posted:

I think you're right. I might crack on with Hollow Knight first -- I feel like it's probably a hard game to get back into if you put it down for a long time.

I'd definitely finish Hollow Knight. I put it down and never picked it back up. It's like it never even happened, I can't remember a single thing from it other than the Poo Boss.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Neo Rasa posted:

This is something I should have mentioned in my posts about it - I like the game a lot but, no joke you should get a 401 level statistician accreditation if you figure out how to effectively play it on your own - please pay attention to the tutorial. I always wished it got a sequel because it has a lot of cool stuff going on with its combat, but characters and balance of it is set up in such a way that there's exactly one right way to fight every battle, and so every battle plays out the same way. Though I still found it a lot more engaging than the Final Fantasy games of the time.

so its like a saga game?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Iconoclasts is definitely written pretty rough, and the writing can't really keep up with the themes it wants to touch upon.

I stared at the Dancing All Nights but it's kind of a tough sell when I've already got Miku and DJ Max, which is about 500 songs between the two games. With Smash and EDF on the way it's a bit rich for my blood right now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's literally a Saga game with the serial numbers filed off and a bunch of Saga people worked on it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I've got a question for the engine boffins. What's stopping Bethesda moving the core gameplay and poo poo from their games to Unreal or something rather than their rickety old Mazda with a V12 in the front and bricks in the boot to balance it?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i dont want to spend the money for the persona dancing game so someone recommend me a different rhythm game where i can play as a dancing cat (not a catgirl)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

JBP posted:

I've got a question for the engine boffins. What's stopping Bethesda moving the core gameplay and poo poo from their games to Unreal or something rather than their rickety old Mazda with a V12 in the front and bricks in the boot to balance it?

switching engines costs money. nothing is stopping them at all, functionally.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

rabidsquid posted:

switching engines costs money. nothing is stopping them at all, functionally.

I figured this was the case. Or they just didn't want to learn another engine. Good concise answer.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
they need to keep the pc modders happy with "easy" plug and play modding.

es6 is gonna be gamebryo on acid with some new name to make you thing its a new engine like they did with skyrim.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

JBP posted:

Incentive.

The thing is people keep buying their buggy as gently caress games and they are smash hits every time and the constant buggy releases show that they really just don't give a gently caress about quality assurance as long as they keep making boatloads of cash and raking in 9/10 scores.

They have no incentive to change their ways unless the FO76 disaster makes people hesitant to buy their next product. Tbh so many people bought FO76 I don't even think they lost any money at all on it.

In other news Digital Foundry put out a Just Cause 4 vid and I'm gonna see if I'm full of poo poo or not when I said on launch day that the resolution looked like rear end on base PS4.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m gonna buy Celeste with Christmas money I think. And play it on babby mode because gently caress hard games. I should probably get it for Switch, right?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m gonna buy Celeste with Christmas money I think. And play it on babby mode because gently caress hard games. I should probably get it for Switch, right?

Don't play it on baby mode.

Like, this isn't a big dick gamer thing (even though I have the biggest, blackest dick in the thread) but its difficulty fits in with the core of the game's themes, which are REALLY effective. Like I can see a long effortpost from you after you beat it about how it made you feel. The reason I point this out is I saw someone say a long time ago that, for whatever reason, people finish Celeste. The game is so effective at making you feel like you can do it and that you can overcome its challenges that people just seem to see through it to the end. I think it'll make the payoff of summiting at the end that much greater. I'll be honest, I got choked up during the game's final stretch.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I never got past the first boss on Super Meat Boy so nah

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

JBP posted:

I don’t work there but it’s probably a combination of being super familiar with it, not wanting to take the hit in cost and productivity to switch, and the engine doing exactly what they want it to do.

Like I worked in a place with a home built and centralized Unix authentication broker. It was built by a guy from scratch when there was no such thing and over time it grew into this monstrous beast that had really odd quirks and was difficult to manage and support but nobody wanted to touch it because it ran everything fairly well and had all these custom features like software deployment that had nothing to do with the original scope.

It became pretty much irreplaceable because no other off the shelf solution could possibly meet all the requirements and ripping it out and starting from scratch would literally be a scorched earth solution that management could never quite muster the courage to tackle.

It’s easy for us to criticize but I’m sure to them it’s akin to saying “but it’s such an easy solution! Just burn down everything in your company and start again! What’s the problem?”

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Don't they often say some poo poo when the engine question comes up like Gamebryo is uniquely customized to remember and restore the position of every bucket you ever dropped on a shopkeeper's head in the entire game world?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

All the bosses in Super Meat Boy are terrible though. Every single one of them. Oh well. The game is super fair about its challenges so you should give it a shot at first before you change anything. I believe you can start on standard difficulty and then tweak its difficulty settings mid-stride without starting over. Celeste I think is my GOTY '18.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah l’ll just play on regular until I can’t anymore

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Celeste is not Super Meat Boy.

Just play on Normal. Assist Mode is superfluous.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Any of you gonna watch The Game Awards tonight and see those world 'sclusives

I'm prob gonna watch one of my fav streamers comment over it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah l’ll just play on regular until I can’t anymore

I'd say that's fair. It's not overly demanding.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I shelved Celeste because it got too frustrating and the charm and fun disappeared.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

nvm

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4RJXuSg3Ns

also lol gameplay demo got leaked thats getting shown at the game awards. basically it announces a demo out TOMORROW. for xbox owners only. no idea on ps4 demo :shrug: they might as well enjoy it, not like they've got any new games to play is it.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
DMC5 looks so god drat good. Also wow who's that pretty beast boi.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

beep by grandpa posted:

Any of you gonna watch The Game Awards tonight and see those world 'sclusives

I'm prob gonna watch one of my fav streamers comment over it

No but I’m gonna find a live pbp liveblog to follow. I’m excited for the reveals!

Vikar Jerome posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4RJXuSg3Ns

also lol gameplay demo got leaked thats getting shown at the game awards. basically it announces a demo out TOMORROW. for xbox owners only. no idea on ps4 demo :shrug: they might as well enjoy it, not like they've got any new games to play is it.

That footage looks siiiiiiiiiiiiick

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Doctor Zero posted:

I don’t work there but it’s probably a combination of being super familiar with it, not wanting to take the hit in cost and productivity to switch, and the engine doing exactly what they want it to do.

Like I worked in a place with a home built and centralized Unix authentication broker. It was built by a guy from scratch when there was no such thing and over time it grew into this monstrous beast that had really odd quirks and was difficult to manage and support but nobody wanted to touch it because it ran everything fairly well and had all these custom features like software deployment that had nothing to do with the original scope.

It became pretty much irreplaceable because no other off the shelf solution could possibly meet all the requirements and ripping it out and starting from scratch would literally be a scorched earth solution that management could never quite muster the courage to tackle.

It’s easy for us to criticize but I’m sure to them it’s akin to saying “but it’s such an easy solution! Just burn down everything in your company and start again! What’s the problem?”

Oh I never thought it would be easy to do and assumed that half of it was the team's familiarity with gamebryo. It's more like, it doesn't seem sustainable. Using the :iiaca: there must be a limit on how many homer-mobile glass bubbles and airhorns you can tack on?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah I am mega in

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kilometers Davis posted:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah I am mega in

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I had a hard time enjoying the trailer cause the compression on it is so bad lol

Still can't wait for DMC5 tho

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

that engine is insane. what they are doing with dmc5 and re2 is just pure magic. i'd post new re2 stuff in here but lol its spoilery as poo poo and you better all be going in blind.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just in case people don’t believe me about that I know I won’t do well in Celeste I’m currently dangerously close to ragequitting on the final boss of Astro Bot which is basically for children

(the concept of the boss is incredible but by the third section some of the attacks become almost completely impossible to dodge)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Bought Celeste and played the first level and muttered "poo poo" to myself

I ragequit Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne for obvious reasons

I ragequit learning piano because of Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu

Let's see how long I last in Celeste!

Maybe if Dark Souls 3 or my piano teacher kept telling me "you can do this!" or "I believe in you" I'd be a concert pianist with a DS3 plat today

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
I put Celeste down, it didn't interest me.

Escobarbarian posted:

Just in case people don’t believe me about that I know I won’t do well in Celeste I’m currently dangerously close to ragequitting on the final boss of Astro Bot which is basically for children

(the concept of the boss is incredible but by the third section some of the attacks become almost completely impossible to dodge)

Haha. He was easy enough I almost forgot that whole fight. I'll remember the cool water levels, though.