Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
They start to mold and stuff. I just got em all juiced and Im freezing the juice to use as a lemon vinaigrette. Its weird brcause I cant use any donated food in what I sell. I do this combo feed the residents/run a restaurant out of the same space. And like every other kitchen, my employees/volunteers are ex addicts and drunks(least their not currently tho I guess.) We have been having problems with prep consistency and quality lately so Im taking it over and going to have the rrst of the staff focus more on customer service. Any ideas on how to train people to clean while they work and also cook more than one thing at a time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

ApolloSuna posted:

Any ideas on how to train people to clean while they work and also cook more than one thing at a time?

Not sure if your issue is that folks are just standing around talking instead of working ("you got time to lean, you got time to clean!") , but one tip that from my GM that really helped me out when I started being a shift lead and couldn't seem to get some guys staying productive while not feeling like a slave-driver is:

Don't give them a task, or ask them to do something. As in, saying "hey, dude, get on dishpit" or "hey, can you pull that brisket?"

How you want to key phrase it is asking "Hey, what are you working on right now?" while they're dicking around on their phone or just standing there. Then the onus is on THEM to either do something, or come up with some lazy excuse that you can call them out on. Now you're not "the bad guy", they are for dicking around on the clock. Guilt's entirely on them. This tiny little tip has worked a treat for me.

If you're feeling slave-driver-ish, my KM won't let anyone take breaks until dish is caught up, or the kitchen looks tidy. Nothing will get people cleaning like a bunch of smokers itching to get their 5 minute smoke in (I'll raise my hand as guilty as charged).

In other news, guess who got a nibble as line cook from one of the $$$ stores in my city? I'm really sweating that it's above my skill set, but they also are hiring a dish position. Would I seem desperate during the interview if I offer to do dish and prep, and they give me a trial to see if I can hack the line? How would y'all phrase that?
Dish is hiring at $10, which is a dollar over what I'm pulling now as a cook, so even that would be an improvement.

EDIT: OMG guys I just did some homework and the chef/owner is CIA trained and worked under some big names before opening his own place. And he wants to interview tomorrow based on my resume. I'm about ready to puke with anxiety. Gonna trim my nails and give myself a haircut tonight and sharpen my knives. GAAAAAHHHHH what else should I do to prepare for this? Oh poo poo I should wash my aprons, oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo do I need to buy chef whites oh gaaaaaawd

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 5, 2018

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Don't wear chef whites to an interview.
Wear the same type of stuff you would wear if you're going to court or a fancy rear end church.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Wear what you normally wear to work. Reason for that is, the people interviewing you will almost never be as conscious of what you are wearing as you are yourself, and in an interview you want to be as close to your "at work" mindset as possible. Like, the best interview you could possibly give is if they came by the place you currently work at and stood over your shoulder for half an hour.

So yeah, that's my $0.02.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Granted, I’m front of house, but I would dress nicer for the interview and bring work clothes in case they want to do a tryout right away. I pay attention to what people wear when they drop a resume off, you better believe people pay attention to what you wear for an interview.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
Oh man that is solid good advice. Eh go in and slay it. If someone can work an egg station during brunch I assume they can do anything. Id phrase it as a growth opportunity and all that jazz. Congrats.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Dish is hiring at $10, which is a dollar over what I'm pulling now as a cook, so even that would be an improvement.

EDIT: OMG guys I just did some homework and the chef/owner is CIA trained and worked under some big names before opening his own place. And he wants to interview tomorrow based on my resume. I'm about ready to puke with anxiety. Gonna trim my nails and give myself a haircut tonight and sharpen my knives. GAAAAAHHHHH what else should I do to prepare for this? Oh poo poo I should wash my aprons, oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo do I need to buy chef whites oh gaaaaaawd

Lets see. Here's my interview routine:

Clean up, look nice, interview clothes. Fresh copy of resume.

Pack chefwear and knives and nonslip shoes in a bag/car in case of a stage.

Look up living wages in your area. mit epi

Look up their menu ahead of time. Take a gander at menu price and costs. For comparison, my wage asks from this point going forward are going to be looking for a salad and a soda(this is for experience, high return for minimal cost more) - Ilive in an area where cost of living is high, and a nice/fancy/sizable salad often run you 14-19.50 depending on protein choice and dinner v lunch. When I see places busy constantly, understaffed, clearly adjusting menu prices for cisco's latest price hike - and then offering experienced hires minimum wages, well. this is why I have this ballpark now. The 12$ burger is sort of a thing of the past - 15 and upward's common for pub fare.

Know your worth and be prepared to say no, I'll think about it, or 'i can start in in two weeks after my notice period.' Most restaurants try to hire on the spot, and/or start working the next day - and I get that lots of chefs are eager to jump at fresh opportunities, or chomp at the bit for something no - but its not a crime to ask for an offer letter in writing.

Cost of living adjustments in writing as part of your hiring agreement, or the assumption is you're looking for work in 3-6 months. Conversely, no salary without being paid OT.

Do some research. Glassdoor, tripadvisor, urbanspoon, you know, the usual. If the chef's name is on the menu, google that as well. Figure out if its going to be a nightmare to work for or not.

Now, granted, if you just want to BAIL on your current job asap, skip some of those steps - but don't sell yourself short, and give yourself those 2 weeks to keep looking.

Also, get contact info for current coworkers you get along with to put on your resume. You never know when a management is going to hold a grudge for leaving when you did.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Had a health inspector give me poo poo today for only temping one spot on a burger. I only temped one spot because that spot said it wasn't done yet ya goof. :argh:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I was always the religious about 2 weeks' notice unless the place was clearly going under before then, because the industry is a small place, and offending the wrong person may end in bad feelings if you have to work with them again. Or if your new chef is one of their after-shift drinking buddies.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Thanks for all the replies, guys!

Naw, I wasn't gonna interview in whites, I've already got an outfit picked out for that (some nice black pants and a white button down blouse --- classier than my usual jeans and plain black tee, but says I'm ready to roll up my sleeves). I was just panicking that I'd have to find where to get whites if that's the dress code and he says "you want to stage tomorrow?" Good advice on bringing my kitchen shoes, though, thanks for that reminder. I should clean those up, they're covered in flour from working at a biscuit place.

Already did my homework on the menu, and I love it. They keep it fairly small, but change every 6 weeks. Sounds right up my alley, I'd much prefer that over another place I applied that has like 768 things on the menu. If there's one takeaway I've gotten from binging Kitchen Nightmares, it's that a huge menu is a source of disaster. Teach me how to do a few things, and do them well, vs trying to learn how to make a jillion things according to spec, that's my jam.

I'm just freaking out a little bit because this place is huge step up from anywhere I've cooked before, in terms of quality, price, and prestige. Like, I'm going from local breakfast joint that gets everything from Sysco to swank-rear end bistro that literally has $$$ on their Yelp and Google reviews and strives for farm- to-table. I'm honestly a little surprised they got back to me, but they've seen my resume, so... :shrug: ? Maybe my cover letter wowed them. I's kin does rite gud wurdz.

I appreciate all the advice!

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

A great attitude can make up for a whole lot of inexperience, in my opinion. I was listening to Dominique Crenn on the radio the other day (one of her restaurants just got 3 Michelin stars). She was saying she hardly pays any attention to where people she's interviewing for the kitchen have worked previously. What she looks for is a thirst for learning, a real desire to be at that restaurant, a great work ethic. I think if you ask most chefs, they'd much rather have someone with all that who maybe needs extra mentoring than some CIA grad who thinks they know everything already.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Thoht posted:

A great attitude can make up for a whole lot of inexperience, in my opinion. I was listening to Dominique Crenn on the radio the other day (one of her restaurants just got 3 Michelin stars). She was saying she hardly pays any attention to where people she's interviewing for the kitchen have worked previously. What she looks for is a thirst for learning, a real desire to be at that restaurant, a great work ethic. I think if you ask most chefs, they'd much rather have someone with all that who maybe needs extra mentoring than some CIA grad who thinks they know everything already.

I worked in a kitchen with a really transient waitstaff while the kitchen staff all usually worked really well together and usually put in at least a few years. One of the FOH managers asked the chef how he managed to get employees like us, and the chef said "I only hire the quiet ones. I don't need anyone standing around bullshitting." It's one of those things that stuck with me, especially after years of being super busy but somebody needs to tell me about their entire boring weekend without leaving out a single detail and oh my god get to the point do you not have anything to do right now.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Thumposaurus posted:

Don't wear chef whites to an interview.
Wear the same type of stuff you would wear if you're going to court or a fancy rear end church.

ah, so a t-shirt and some jeans with holes in 'em

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

ah, so a t-shirt and some jeans with holes in 'em

:lol: Yeah when I was going through my court ordeal, I was always mystified by people that showed up looking like absolute slobs. Here I am, sweating my tits off in a skirt/suit set so swank that my public defender legit said upon meeting me, "Oh, you're Ms. Dempsey? I thought you were a new attorney" (only $9 from the thrift store!), and while waiting for my turn I was watching these schlubs going up in front of the judge with their Tweety Bird/Big Dog shirts and grubby sneakers. Jesus, people, "dress for success" is not that hard or expensive.

Had a phone interview today (which was super nerve-wracking because I hate talking on the phone, I'd actually rather do all that in person), gonna meet with chef tomorrow. Guy really sounds like a boss I wanna work with, so cross all the fingers, thread.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It took me a while to figure out you guys were referring to the Culinary Institute of America, so a lot of these chef posts were really confusing to me.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
So what do you do when one of your staff members goes over your head repeatedly and ypur boss supports it? Ive brought it up.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Regardless of what your title may be, if the boss supports it then effectively they're not going over your head. Workplace politics are so cool.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
Its super cool cause it leads to me getting told things like "thats not my job" and other fun quips and phrases. And being totally ignored when I repeatedly try and ask someone "hey I need to tell you something about this food that just came in."

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ApolloSuna posted:

Its super cool cause it leads to me getting told things like "thats not my job" and other fun quips and phrases. And being totally ignored when I repeatedly try and ask someone "hey I need to tell you something about this food that just came in."

Go to your boss, tell them you can't do your job if you're going to be second-guessed and overruled, and have a backup plan to pull the ripcord if they don't have your back.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Hey BOH peeps, I want to resurface my cutting boards but after I sand through the top layer, how do I restore that not quite smooth texture that they come with? These are the standard white nylon/plastic boards that you see everywhere

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

pile of brown posted:

Hey BOH peeps, I want to resurface my cutting boards but after I sand through the top layer, how do I restore that not quite smooth texture that they come with? These are the standard white nylon/plastic boards that you see everywhere

I get mine planed at a furniture shop. $20 for all eight. edit: It took awhile to find one willing to plane plastic, tho.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018

Liquid Communism posted:

Go to your boss, tell them you can't do your job if you're going to be second-guessed and overruled, and have a backup plan to pull the ripcord if they don't have your back.

I talked to my boss today and tried to explain stuff. He told me that "that could just be a text thing." Didnt seem too happy when I told him to just text me next time he needs me.

I move Monday and am going back to my folks house for xmas but seems like come January Im ready to just ripcord out of the industry.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

This is almost exactly why I'm at a new job this week. 1) boss just handed me a menu and told me to launch it the next day, having never seen it before (when normally I make the menus), 2) boss gave me poo poo (in front of my staff) for sending home an employee for being maliciously insubordinate, 3) boss started telling my staff to change menu items/run features/do whatever other poo poo, without keeping me in the loop. I shouldn't have to find out from my opening cook that now we're running lunch features for the first time in our restaurant's history (also it's a bad idea). Three strikes, I'm out. gently caress that noise.

If your responsibility and authority is being taken away without a conversation or any reasoning that you can find, and they won't tell you why, it's probably time to start looking.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018

Naelyan posted:

If your responsibility and authority is being taken away without a conversation or any reasoning that you can find, and they won't tell you why, it's probably time to start looking.

I wouldn't say its being taken away but its more I was given the title/position without actually letting me do anything. Its a lot of "hey we should do this" met with "naw I dont agree." Thats cool but I have 18 years of industry experience, opened spots, gm etc and you were a server at Dennys for like a year. Im just ranting and pissed. I see so much potential and its just so frustrating. Also staff just ignoring me is a spit in the face.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
You sound like kind of a neurotic mess, and that tends to lead to difficulties.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018

marshalljim posted:

You sound like kind of a neurotic mess, and that tends to lead to difficulties.

Yeah I havent had a day off since sometime at the beginning of October and I competed in the state fair cookie contest. Some of it is realizing that I cant push the level of food I want to, some of its being the only one to deep clean, gently caress the list goes on.

Thing is, and I think a lot of chefs can relate to this, but when you pour your life into something and the person next to you is whatever its depressing as gently caress.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I fell into a chance to grow some microgreens for a local restaurant. Can you guys give me a rough idea of what kind of prices you pay for wholesale microgreens?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
there's probably more reliable ways to assemble a quote than getting a tiny sampling of prices from people spread throughout the entire country

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
Is it just for this place or are you looking to make this a thing with other spots too?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Yeah, I'd likely try to sell to other places, too. I've seen growers associations post price lists In agriculture publications to keep the prices stable, I'll see if I can find something like that.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I know some folks selling microgreens at the farmers' market I sell my hot sauce at, I could ask what they get for wholesale. What kind of greens, and what's your area/ potential market?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I don't know what kinds yet, I've been looking at the seed catalogs. I'm in South Dakota, potential market is something like 10 restaraunts, a food coop, a couple health food type stores, plus craigslist style retail and farmers market.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

She also gleefully talks about being pro Chik-fil-a, how she and her girlfriend went there when everyone pro LGBT was making a deal of boycotting them. She was raised ultra Catholic in the 60's, went to school with nuns and the whole nine yards, so I smell a whole lot of internalized homophobia and self-loathing. When you factor that in, it's more sad than anything.

I have never understood people whose political stance includes "I, personally, should get murdered."

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Test Pattern posted:

I have never understood people whose political stance includes "I, personally, should get murdered."

a whole lot of internalized homophobia and self-loathing

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Test Pattern posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/cavalorn/status/654934442549620736?lang=en

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

taqueso posted:

I fell into a chance to grow some microgreens for a local restaurant. Can you guys give me a rough idea of what kind of prices you pay for wholesale microgreens?

4oz micro cilantro $15.15 in California

I cancelled most of the rest of my micros because they're too perishable and too expensive for the sake of sprinkling plant pubes on everything

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
Heard a first last night.

A customer was upset that the beef tartare was too rare.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Quabzor posted:

serve them a fully cooked hamburger

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Quabzor posted:

Did you bring a still breathing cow to their table?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
We had a customer who angrily demanded to know why we didn't tell him steak tartare was raw when he ordered it.