Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

So I'm no good at datamining, I do computers bad, but I went to https://outerworlds.obsidian.net/ and did the inspect element thing and found this:

code:
Oh, hey there, Ethics Gradient!

Just wanted to let you know we here at Obsidian really appreciate you for being a part of our community.
    We promise there aren't any secrets contained in the HTML for this site.
    But, you may want to check the CSS and JavaScript files...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

So did you? Or what

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Basic Chunnel posted:

So did you? Or what

I did nothing beyond finding those words that I posted because I don't actually know what checking CSS or JavaScript entails.

Presumably there is something I can click on in the inspect element view but I don't know what that is. :shrug:

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I do computers bad

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
https://outerworlds.obsidian.net/js/outerworlds-scripts.1544154257.js has

code:
/*! Oh, hey there, Ethics Gradient!,
    Just wanted to let you know we here at Obsidian really appreciate you for being a part of our community.
    We promise there aren't any secrets contained in the Javascript for this site.
    But you may want to check the HTML and CSS files... */
and the css https://outerworlds.obsidian.net/css/outerworlds.1544154257.css

code:
 Oh, hey there, Ethics Gradient!,
    We promise there aren't any secrets contained in the CSS styling for this site.
    But you may want to check the Javascript and HTML files...
*/
Real cute guys, real cute

edit: ps, "Ethics Gradient" is a ship/ai character from The Culture series...

Grimoire fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 7, 2018

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Grimoire posted:

https://outerworlds.obsidian.net/js/outerworlds-scripts.1544154257.js has

code:
/*! Oh, hey there, Ethics Gradient!,
    We promise there aren't any secrets contained in the Javascript for this site.
    But you may want to check the HTML and CSS files... */
and the css https://outerworlds.obsidian.net/css/outerworlds.1544154257.css

code:
 Oh, hey there, Ethics Gradient!,
    We promise there aren't any secrets contained in the CSS styling for this site.
    But you may want to check the Javascript and HTML files...
*/
Real cute guys, real cute

lol thanks, that's good

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
can't get over this frame. i'm dying

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
When was the last time Obsidian wasn't dead serious in the main story of a game?

I can think of expansions like Old World Blues but other than that I don't think they ever had a game that could be presented with such a light-hearted trailer. This one oozes Fallout 2 and Arcanum.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ilitarist posted:

When was the last time Obsidian wasn't dead serious in the main story of a game?
Stick of Truth.

Also gimme.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Grimoire posted:

He's also a member of the community who datamined a bunch of stuff during the Deadfire development, which is what they're likely referring to.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
This looks loving awesome

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Accordion Man posted:

Stick of Truth.

Also gimme.

Ah, indeed. And it was an OK game. And while I say OK I'm wondering if it brought more money to Obsidian than all of their other games combined.

Outer Worlds gets compared to Borderlands. I wonder if it's a clever move by devs. It seems there's no Borderlands on a radar and it, too, can be broadly described as a sci-fi action-RPG in a comedy Wild West setting. Now I'm almost not sad that the Forgotten Sanctum is probably the last update for Deadfire.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

ilitarist posted:

Now I'm almost not sad that the Forgotten Sanctum is probably the last update for Deadfire.

It's not. The developers have said that there's going to be something in early 2019 for Deadfire and they're gonna make it crystal clear that it's the last update for the game (though they might continue with minor patches, etc. past that point).

However, it is the last piece of paid DLC, yeah. At least it looks great!

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Grimoire posted:

Mind :eng101:.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I have been so busy this year that I'm still to get around to really playing POE II (which really irks me, I played the hell out of the first and loved the little I've played of 2 so far) but now I REALLY have a deadline to meet if this beautiful thing is coming out in 2019 :stwoon:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Looks like new vegas in space, I'm down for this.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Finished poe1. Pretty good.

Started up POE2. Did they seriously voice this whole thing, including narration? That's insane.

First thing I did half way through scene 1 was open the options menu and turn voice to zero.

I know I'm in the minority but do people seriously sit there and listen to a voice slowly narrate the entire game? I couldn't even deal with just the characters speaking in game 1.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

Amethyst posted:

Finished poe1. Pretty good.

Started up POE2. Did they seriously voice this whole thing, including narration? That's insane.

First thing I did half way through scene 1 was open the options menu and turn voice to zero.

I know I'm in the minority but do people seriously sit there and listen to a voice slowly narrate the entire game? I couldn't even deal with just the characters speaking in game 1.

The entire game is voice acted, though only some of the narration is.

It is up to you, but try giving it a go, the narration is singularly slow, and not indicative of the rest of the performance.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
That narration is only there at the beginning and for a few major cut scenes after that.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I like voiced parts when the audio really improves the immersion - e.g. when a god or a Dragon speaks. For a random (or major) NPC I really don't care and, like most people, tune the voice out as I read faster than they speak.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Amethyst posted:

Apparently so, I don't get it either but full voice acting (including all narration) was a huge selling point for Divinity OS so other devs trying to chase that.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Parenthesis posted:

The entire game is voice acted, though only some of the narration is.

It is up to you, but try giving it a go, the narration is singularly slow, and not indicative of the rest of the performance.

I generally don't like voice acting in RPGs, and turn it off whenever possible. I understand this is unusual but I always bet bored because, imo, the dialogue is never written in a way that bears reading aloud.

In a movie, voices don't just exist in a weird vacuum. They react to each other and are part of a greater dynamic. A good radio play will have the character dialogue intermeshed in compex and interesting ways.

In an RPG where NPCs generally talk to a voiceless PC, it just sounds dead and awful. My imagination does a better job reading it.

Again, I know this is a minority opinion and doubt I"ll convince anyone.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Furism posted:

I like voiced parts when the audio really improves the immersion - e.g. when a god or a Dragon speaks. For a random (or major) NPC I really don't care and, like most people, tune the voice out as I read faster than they speak.

Yeah simple stuff like a dragon announcing he's going to kill you is the exception and generally works pretty well.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I assume there's going to be a Rick and Morty mod which adds their voices to The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Bideo James, The Funny Way to Say "Video Games" > The Outer Worlds: From the makers of the last good Fallout game!

Its looks more promising than I thought- it originally sounded like a re-done Borderlands, but the shade they are co-incidentally throwing at Fallout 76 is amazingly well timed.

quote:

Spacer's choice is not responsible for any feeling of vertigo, wonder, or hunger you may have experienced while watching this advertisement. Spacer's Choice is a wholly owned subsidiary of Universal Defence Logistics. By watching this advertisement, the viewer absolves Spacer's Choice of any liability throughout the Universe until the end of time. This advertisement was tested on animals and found 89.5% safe for human viewing. However, it is unsafe to view this advertisement while under the influence of Adrenatime [Diathylpolyoxilate and it's derivatives.]. The slogans "It's not the best choice, it's Spacer's Choice", "Taste the freedom with Spacer's Choice", "From Spacer's Choice, of course", and "You've tried the best, now try the rest" are trademarked and owned by Universal Defense Logistics, and may not be used without a form 1165SDL-UDL and a commitment of servitude of no less than ten years. This advertisement is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time. Spacer's Choice is not associated with Trucker's Choice and anyone who claims otherwise will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Five Canids, two Raptidons, and a genetically unidentifiable space organism were all harmed during the making of this advertisement. This advertisement was filmed on Spacer's Choice 100% Pure acetate - if this advertisement begins to smoke please withdraw to a safe distance and continue viewing. Any endorsement of Spacer's Choice by the Halcyon Corporate Board is implied but not expressed. Warning: pregnant women, the elderly, and anyone who has eaten in the last two hours should avoid prolonged exposure to this advertisement. This advertisement should not be construed to represent any warrantee or guarantee, regardless of the actual words used or implied in the foregoing. Due to a recent court decision, Spacer's Choice is contractually obligated to state that Auntie Cleo products do not contain cyanide, Cystypig gastric juices, mercury, sprat intestines, or human body parts despite any claim made to the contrary by Spacer's Choice. Any similarity to persons living, dead, or in hibernation is purely coincidental. Spacer's Choice has made the legally required minimum effort to insure that the information contained in this advertisement is correct at the time of it's release. Nothing in this advertisement is intended as a substitute for the medical advice of physicians. And remember, Spacer's Choice pre-sliced bred tastes fresh because it was!

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Amethyst posted:

Yeah simple stuff like a dragon announcing he's going to kill you is the exception and generally works pretty well.

It's also extremely important for your companions. Except for Aloth.

Still I'm fine with NWN2 approach were many NPCs and dialogues were not voiced and it was OK. In a cutscene or scripted scene you'd very much like some voice acting, as well as NPC chatter outside of dialogues and so on.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

It's honestly sort of amazing how good this song is at evoking one very particular tone.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Hyped about the space setting.

Bit blah on the Space/Western thing. Enjoyed the non-serious approach but it's a fine line before it gets too goofy for my tastes.

Confused by the shooty bits. Where's my space lasers, wizards psi-users?

Will probably pre-order.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I just got around to looking at enchantment and realized how much it costs - any tips for making money aside from stealing everything and selling it all? I still haven't left neketaka, I'm just tooling around doing side quests.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

There was a split second of a character using some kind of lightning staff, wizards of some flavor are probably in.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
For some reason I assumed that since this was made by the original Fallout creators it would have a similar look with the isometric camera, so I was a little disappointed to see more of a generic FPS.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
Some gameplay footage of Outer Worlds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3cRpYGVPsU

(Is there a thread yet?)

andrew smash posted:

I just got around to looking at enchantment and realized how much it costs - any tips for making money aside from stealing everything and selling it all? I still haven't left neketaka, I'm just tooling around doing side quests.

Turning in a bunch of bounties at once, along with selling the loot from the fights themselves, can get you a solid chunk of cash to play around with. It does involve leaving Neketaka though

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Avalerion posted:

There was a split second of a character using some kind of lightning staff, wizards of some flavor are probably in.
Took that as some kind of melee stun baton.

Skipped really fast through the gameplay trailer. Yeah I'm digging the aesthetic a bit more now thought it'd be more Firefly but the alien plants make it pop a bit more interestingly.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

(Is there a thread yet?)

Someone in the F:76 thread said they'd put a thread up soon.

As to the video, commentary is banal and adds nothing (games journalism, whatcha gonna do), but the gameplay looks really good. Very clean visuals, ok shooting that's a little more modern than New Vegas, nice variety of weapons, and lots of fun dialogue (including low-intelligence options). They've apparently been working on this for two years, which is already six months longer than they had for a few of their major releases.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

andrew smash posted:

Close to board every ship battle, you get more loot that way. Sell every piece of non-unique equipment that isn't Superb. Sell Superb stuff as well as you get more uniques

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Some gameplay footage of Outer Worlds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3cRpYGVPsU

(Is there a thread yet?)

Turning in a bunch of bounties at once, along with selling the loot from the fights themselves, can get you a solid chunk of cash to play around with. It does involve leaving Neketaka though

Oh that's not a barrier or anything. I was just noting that as far as I can tell I'm still in the early parts of the game. I just finished Cornett's Call on POTD and sold the pile of loot from those skeletons that show up when you grab the second cornett (a few exceptional weapons and armor pieces) and thought I was loaded with like 10k, then looked at the enchant tab for some weapon.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Wicked Them Beats posted:

ok shooting that's a little more modern than New Vegas

I don't know if "ok" shooting is going to do it for me. I'm getting verrry particular about my gunplay in my old age.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Maybe you should try swinging weapons at dudes instead of shooting dudes?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

jokes posted:

Maybe you should try swinging weapons at dudes instead of shooting dudes?

In first person? ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Autonomous Monster posted:

In first person? ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

https://gfycat.com/AmazingDeadlyAfricanporcupine

:getin:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Autonomous Monster posted:

I don't know if "ok" shooting is going to do it for me. I'm getting verrry particular about my gunplay in my old age.

Yeah it's kinda jarring to go from something as slick as Doom to a Gamebryo-like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

andrew smash posted:

can't get over this frame. i'm dying

"You know you didn't have to shoot him, right?"