Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

There IS such thing as Marca! (March 2019)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Graham: Hey Doc, I just realized something.
Doctor: Hmm?
Graham: THESE SHOES FIT PERFECTLY!

Next regeneration, they should have a series arc where the characters are all aspects of the Doctor's past and the Doctors passed, then have the big reveal that the whole season was a hallucination and the Doctor's having a regenerative crisis, triggered by all the regulars turning into past Doctors.

Oh, God, Big Finish has probably already done something like this, haven't they?

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Narsham posted:

Next regeneration, they should have a series arc where the characters are all aspects of the Doctor's past and the Doctors passed, then have the big reveal that the whole season was a hallucination and the Doctor's having a regenerative crisis, triggered by all the regulars turning into past Doctors.

Oh, God, Big Finish has probably already done something like this, haven't they?

Yep

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Finally caught up on the last three episodes.

The most important takeaway is that the frog puppet was a shoddy piece of poo poo and it's definitely my favourite thing from this whole season. I think this episode is probably my favourite from the season so far, even if the word "solitract" just sounded dumb to my ears.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SpaceCommie posted:

Finally caught up on the last three episodes.

The most important takeaway is that the frog puppet was a shoddy piece of poo poo and it's definitely my favourite thing from this whole season. I think this episode is probably my favourite from the season so far, even if the word "solitract" just sounded dumb to my ears.

This kind of post is why I discuss Doctor Who here and not anywhere else online.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It is really funny when Yas says about the Solitract, "You've literally never said that word before" or whatever, it's like the script is becoming self-aware of the exposition dump issue (it hasn't bothered me as much as it's bothered some others, I don't know, it just kind of works for me given the material most of the time).

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I’ve figured out the flaw most of the episodes this series have: the plot point where revelations are made happens juuuuuust before the episode ends, as opposed to setting a third act in motion.

Ghost Monument: talking fabric
Arachnids: all the spiders are dying
Kerblam!: The villain was the janitor

e: Witchfinders: aliens out of nowhere
ITYA: mirror universe is collapsing, a frog

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 5, 2018

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

It is really funny when Yas says about the Solitract, "You've literally never said that word before" or whatever, it's like the script is becoming self-aware of the exposition dump issue (it hasn't bothered me as much as it's bothered some others, I don't know, it just kind of works for me given the material most of the time).

This kind of came up in Kerblam.

DOCTOR: Ah, it's the Kerblam man!
YASMIN: It's the what?
DOCTOR: The Kerblam man.
GRAHAM: You're just making sounds now.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Edward Mass posted:

I’ve figured out the flaw most of the episodes this series have: the plot point where revelations are made happens juuuuuust before the episode ends, as opposed to setting a third act in motion.

e: Witchfinders: aliens out of nowhere

This one was especially dumb because the Doctor coaxing the aliens into revealing themselves in front of King James basically was the climax of the story. She'd finally gotten his bullshit out of the way. All you needed to actually do after was have James kill the alien.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Davros1 posted:

There IS such thing as Marca! (March 2019)

My initial thought was Scooby doo not doctor who

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MstjDqD1UuQ

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
We knew it was likely a rumor but nice to have confirmation

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jodie-whittaker-confirms-return-doctor-who-season-12-1167388

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

That's a kinda lovely trailer, but the story is really good. It's basically a New Adventure, except with the War Master instead of Sylvester, and at one point it goes the full Conrad and starts channelling Nostromo hard. Pretty upsetting but very effective. Would recommend.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Good. I hope she sticks around for 3-4 seasons and I hope that it leverages her already pretty good career into even more opportunities. Hopefully the critics and the watch numbers will continue to support her Doctor right up until she leaves, so they hire another woman for Fourteen.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Mr Beens posted:

My initial thought was Scooby doo not doctor who

Scooby Who

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

mycomancy posted:

Scooby Who

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mycomancy posted:

Scooby Who

This makes me picture "just Scooby Doo, except Scooby is replaced by K-9."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Shaggy: Gosh, Scoob! That werewolf sure is spooky!
K-9: Master, my scans indicate that it is actually old man Wilson, the carnival owner, wearing a mask purchased at the Halloween store.
Shaggy: Oh, shut up, K-9!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Shaggy: Gosh, Scoob! That werewolf sure is spooky!
K-9: Master, my scans indicate that it is actually old man Wilson, the carnival owner, wearing a mask purchased at the Halloween store.
Shaggy: Oh, shut up, K-9!

Just lol if you don't think Shaggy would be stoked that K-9 figured out the mystery so quickly that it would him more time to munch out on carnival food.

rvm
May 6, 2013
So, after dropping the revival after season 7, I finally decided to try some classic Who (other than Unearthly Child which I've already seen).

Randomly decided on the Third Doctor, 'cause I was intrigued by the premise.

Spearheads from space - shower scene, tentacles, wow. Seriously, though, it's great. I bought Pertwee as The Doctor pretty much right away. Classic Autons own, and I'm glad I watched making of after completing the arc, otherwise, I would just feel bad for the suit actors instead of being spooked. 10 / 10.

The Silurians - I get the feeling that the classic Who, if this season is any indication, was way more topical and overtly political than the new Who. The dynamic between Doctor, Brigadier and Liz is great, and supporting cast is amazing. I'm starting to fall in love. 10 / 10.

Ambassadors....

of Death. It keeps exploring similar themes to the previous arc, but in a less compelling way, although Ambassadors themselves are creepier than Silurians. Still can't give it anything less than 9 / 10.

On to Inferno.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

rvm posted:

So, after dropping the revival after season 7, I finally decided to try some classic Who (other than Unearthly Child which I've already seen).

Randomly decided on the Third Doctor, 'cause I was intrigued by the premise.

Spearheads from space - shower scene, tentacles, wow. Seriously, though, it's great. I bought Pertwee as The Doctor pretty much right away. Classic Autons own, and I'm glad I watched making of after completing the arc, otherwise, I would just feel bad for the suit actors instead of being spooked. 10 / 10.

The Silurians - I get the feeling that the classic Who, if this season is any indication, was way more topical and overtly political than the new Who. The dynamic between Doctor, Brigadier and Liz is great, and supporting cast is amazing. I'm starting to fall in love. 10 / 10.

Ambassadors....

of Death. It keeps exploring similar themes to the previous arc, but in a less compelling way, although Ambassadors themselves are creepier than Silurians. Still can't give it anything less than 9 / 10.

On to Inferno.

It's a really good season.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Brilliant post here.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Pertwee’s first year is up there with Matt Smith’s for me. He gets it immediately and the scripts are all great.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/LeeBinding/status/1071061883627757568

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bicyclops posted:

It's a really good season.

One of the strongest first seasons for a Doctor ever. Arguably the strongest, considering Matt Smith had the bad Silurian 2-parter and Tom Baker had the bad Cybermen story.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

gently caress :psyboom:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, but 10 was a whiny little contrarian poo poo, so it’s true to character.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, but 10 was a whiny little contrarian poo poo, so it’s true to character.

This. He was terrible

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So, I pre-ordered the season 19 Blu-ray set forever ago on Amazon, and since then I’ve moved country from the UK to Germany. I received notification a couple months ago the release had been delayed and it wouldn’t go out till Dec 18th. A couple of days ago, I remembered it was coming up soon, and I planned on getting a friend in London’s address so I could change it before it got sent out. This morning I got a surprise email it was out for delivery TODAY. :stare:

So I’ve had to cancel the order, and reorder it. The fun and weird thing is, in doing so because I had an American address listed from a previous, Amazon was offering me it at a much cheaper price, including shipping. So I’m getting it sent to the US where I can pick it up in a couple of weeks for £4 cheaper than getting it sent to the UK. I don’t understand, but ok!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I got excited when they posted a trailer for an X-mas special with Rory and Amy in it, and thought "oh cool the new Doctor and Companions are going to meet with older ones!" then realized that one was from a few years ago. That just shows how little of an impact the X-mas specials have had on me.

The only ones I really remember is the very first one, and then the one that lead to Capaldi.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I got excited when they posted a trailer for an X-mas special with Rory and Amy in it, and thought "oh cool the new Doctor and Companions are going to meet with older ones!" then realized that one was from a few years ago. That just shows how little of an impact the X-mas specials have had on me.

The only ones I really remember is the very first one, and then the one that lead to Capaldi.

There's also no X-Mas special this year. It's a New Year's ep.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1071389838123900928

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

twistedmentat posted:

Why does no one remember The Snowmen? That’s probably my favorite Eleven episode hands down.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I liked The Snowmen (and Victorian Clara should have been the ongoing companion) but what a shame that Ian McKellan's part was so small.

Still, bringing back The Great Intelligence of all things out of nowhere was loving amazing.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 8, 2018

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/BBCAMERICA/status/1071475245985480705

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Four? Five? Six? Why not ALL of them? :3:

rvm
May 6, 2013
This season's pilot is baffling, barely coherent rip-off of Predator 2. I liked it.

I had a random thought after completing this episode and the only season she was in (but what a season that was) that Caroline John (Liz Shaw) would make a pretty good Doctor.

rvm fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 9, 2018

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I feel like not enough was said about Graham's emergency sandwich.

He's the best.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Him complaining about these young people (and the Doctor) not understanding that he likes to have a snack with him spoke to me on a deep, personal level :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
And it was also a great callback to earlier in the series when he wanted to stop for food and they kept getting involved in adventures instead.