Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
The sweater Della gives Donald is the one that he's wearing in the present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
OK but if Donald knew Dewey was gonna travel back in time, what does that imply about free will in the Duck-verse? If Dewey hadn't grabbed onto Future's cloak would he cause a Chrono Cross situation and straddle two worlds one where Della is on the moon and one where she raised her kids? In this TED talk I will

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's time travel. Don't worry about it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

OK but if Donald knew Dewey was gonna travel back in time, what does that imply about free will in the Duck-verse? If Dewey hadn't grabbed onto Future's cloak would he cause a Chrono Cross situation and straddle two worlds one where Della is on the moon and one where she raised her kids? In this TED talk I will

Dammit now you got me wanting to play Chrono Cross again

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wonder, with all the focus they're giving to Della, will there ever be a bit where they address whatever happened to the Vanderquacks?

And for that matter, why exactly are the Ducks living with Scrooge? Are they just visiting for the holiday, or did their parents go missing so that they could start the weird nephew chain of familial relation without genuine responsibility all the earlier?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

SlothfulCobra posted:

And for that matter, why exactly are the Ducks living with Scrooge?

Hortense and Matilda lived with Scrooge for a time in the comics - I assume that the same is true of at least Hortense when Donald and Della were young. Notably, their father Quackmore, Hortense' husband, was one of Scrooge's accountants - possibly even his main one - so it stands to reason that he kept them close by.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

Dammit now you got me wanting to play Chrono Cross again

I swear to God I'm the only one in the universe that realizes how badly that game sucked.

That's right, I said it. Fight me! :colbert:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

readingatwork posted:

I swear to God I'm the only one in the universe that realizes how badly that game sucked.

Maybe they meant Chrono Trigger - which is great. Cross I thought was universally hated.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

readingatwork posted:

I'll fully admit the story is flawed and many of the characters are shallow, but it has great music, is one of the best looking PS1 games, and it has one of the better JRPG combat systems

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The general consensus on Cross is that mechanically it's okay, musically it's amazing, and storywise it's a confusing mostly lovely mess.

It might be better remembered if it wasn't marketed as a sequel to Chrone Trigger one of the greatest SNES games of all time. Chrono Trigger is just an objectively better game in every possible way (and it still holds up BTW, I know because I recently replayed it), there was no need to invite comparison between the two when Chrono Cross can't possibly compete. The only real connection Cross has to trigger is some hidden backstory where it talks about how the main characters in Trigger all died like bitches (which comes off as kind of hilarious and desperate given that Cross is such a hot mess), just take that poo poo out and the game could have been it's own kind of crappy but not without merit thing.

But hey, what's done is done, the franchise is dead, Chrono Trigger is still a great game (available now on steam!) and at least Chrono Cross gave us some fantastic musis like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpGwyd2Ve_0

And also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoEMaWrQBQM

Oh and also this fantastic Let's Play by The Dark Id, which is frankly the best way to experience the game so check it out if you're looking for a fun holiday read: https://lparchive.org/Chrono-Cross/

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Dec 5, 2018

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

SlothfulCobra posted:

And for that matter, why exactly are the Ducks living with Scrooge? Are they just visiting for the holiday, or did their parents go missing so that they could start the weird nephew chain of familial relation without genuine responsibility all the earlier?

I thought Donald’s houseboat sank and that’s why they all moved into his mansion.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wonder, with all the focus they're giving to Della, will there ever be a bit where they address whatever happened to the Vanderquacks?

Bleck posted:

Hortense and Matilda lived with Scrooge for a time in the comics - I assume that the same is true of at least Hortense when Donald and Della were young. Notably, their father Quackmore, Hortense' husband, was one of Scrooge's accountants - possibly even his main one - so it stands to reason that he kept them close by.

I believe that in at least some versions of the chronology, the nephews were living with Scrooge because Donald was serving in the Navy.

Why the nephews were living with Donald instead of with their actual parents was left unexplained.

In the current series, they're all living with Scrooge because Donald asked Scrooge to babysit one day while he went for a job interview, the job interview turned out to be with Glomgold Industries, things snowballed from there . . .

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

SlothfulCobra posted:

Donald's nephews' dad is probably dead and their mom is on the Moon. Then Donald's nephews accidentally set his houseboat on fire when he was away trying to get a job, and then the repaired houseboat was destroyed in the first season finale. Now Donald has repaired the houseboat again, between seasons, but the family rift has healed so now they're staying because they consider Scrooge close family.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 5, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

galenanorth posted:

Donald's nephews' dad is probably dead and their mom is on the Moon.

Calling it now in case nobody else has:

Della is on the moon because she was looking for the dad

Next three-season arc: hunt for daddio

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Bleck posted:

I just remember in Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, I thought when she got married was about the time Scrooge pushed away all his family to start becoming bitter and angry for that night on Bear Mountain. Although I suppose none of that is canon to this series because Scrooge is barely even half the misanthropic miser he was in the original.

They brought Donald to visit Scrooge one time and he kicked Scrooge in the nards.

other people in this thread posted:

I don't think you know what the starting premise of this show was, let me recap to you the first episode

I was talking about the past Ducks, Donald and Della.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It was established that Scrooge has a history of adventuring with Donald and Della, but new that they spent a significant chunk of their childhood living with him in similar fashion to the nephews. But would make sense if their parents weren't around, had fallen on hard times or mysteriously disappeared as the Duck-McDuck clan is apparently prone to. Given the family is established to be a magnet for trouble, there's probably a fair few that don't survive.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

maybe it was a Gravity Falls type situation over the winter break

edit: nah, they wouldn't still be there on Christmas

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Hortense was probably there visiting for Christmas with the kids, there just wasn't any reason for her to show up in the episode proper (Especially since then you'd have to introduce her).

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I would love if we actually met the nephews' dad and he was just a total deadbeat no one wanted anything to do with.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

nerdman42 posted:

I would love if we actually met the nephews' dad and he was just a total deadbeat no one wanted anything to do with.

Ed: Misread.

Gravity Falls did pretty much have that theme with Soos.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
My roommate just started her way through the series and has no idea why I gasped when Donald says "Mrs. B. said that you would watch the boys! Can you do that without losing them?!"

LAYERS UPON LAYERS PEOPLE

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

My roommate just started her way through the series and has no idea why I gasped when Donald says "Mrs. B. said that you would watch the boys! Can you do that without losing them?!"

:vince:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I originally thought he said “using them” which also makes a lot of sense, considering Scrooge.

“Losing then” is way more depressing.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Scrooge's reaction to this hurt me the second time I watched the season.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I have a hunch the bet with Flintheart is going to end with Louie conning just enough money out of Flint to make him lose

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

dragon_pamcake posted:

I have a hunch the bet with Flintheart is going to end with Louie conning just enough money out of Flint to make him lose

It's more interesting for scrooge to lose the bet

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SlothfulCobra posted:

I just remember in Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, I thought when she got married was about the time Scrooge pushed away all his family to start becoming bitter and angry for that night on Bear Mountain.

Yea, in Life and Times, Scrooge spent about a decade from 1902-1912 adventuring around the world (and being chased by a zombie) and didn't see his family; Hortense and Quackmore married and had Donald and Della during this time.

When he arrived back in Duckburg, they threw a party to welcome him home and introduce him to Donald and Della, but he loses his patience with them and kicks them out (which is when Donald gives him a punt in the posterior). He realises the error of his ways and runs after them but he's distracted by a telegram informing him that he has just become the world's richest duck and forgets about it to celebrate. After that he spends the next 30 years shut away in his mansion.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ikanreed posted:

It's more interesting for scrooge to lose the bet

He'll *think* he's lost, then turn it around in the finale.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He'll *think* he's lost, then turn it around in the finale.

Or he'll rebuild his wealth while glomgold squanders his own without a rival to drive him

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It'd be interesting, but I doubt that the writers would be brave enough to get rid of Scrooge's most well known defining trait. I can't see them writing a story where Glomgold wins at the end either.

If that moneyclip has any real importance, I expect that they'll tell its story so it'll seem like a worthy prize.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

what I find funny about how Glomgold becomes Scrooge's enemy is that Scrooge tries to pass off paying with a dime as a way to inspire Glomgold but...he still coulda done that. The thing with Scrooge getting paid with an American dime in his story is that by the time he realised he'd been cheated, the person was long gone and Scrooge couldn't go after him.

When he pays Glomgold and starts to leave Glomgold immediately calls him out for cheating him. I feel that Scrooge could've made his scheme work if he responded by going "you're right, good catch lad", then pay him properly and finish the encounter with sage advice like "you've got a good head for catching those that will try to undermine you, don't lose that" because clearly Scrooge was prepared to pay "fair price" for getting his spats cleaned.

Still though, one of my favourite things of new DuckTales is that Scrooge created Glomgold out of sheer pigheadedness

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Aces High posted:

what I find funny about how Glomgold becomes Scrooge's enemy is that Scrooge tries to pass off paying with a dime as a way to inspire Glomgold but...he still coulda done that. The thing with Scrooge getting paid with an American dime in his story is that by the time he realised he'd been cheated, the person was long gone and Scrooge couldn't go after him.

When he pays Glomgold and starts to leave Glomgold immediately calls him out for cheating him. I feel that Scrooge could've made his scheme work if he responded by going "you're right, good catch lad", then pay him properly and finish the encounter with sage advice like "you've got a good head for catching those that will try to undermine you, don't lose that" because clearly Scrooge was prepared to pay "fair price" for getting his spats cleaned.

Still though, one of my favourite things of new DuckTales is that Scrooge created Glomgold out of sheer pigheadedness

Oh yeah, it would have been SUPER easy for Scrooge to course correct and he really should have been nicer. However, he didn't because he's kind of an rear end in a top hat and was miffed about lil' Glomgold not appreciating his symbolic gesture.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Considering how Scrooge being an egotistical rear end in a top hat was the reason Glomgold became his enemy, I wouldn't be surprised if he did screw over Pa and Ma Beagle in some way as well with the deed to BeagleDuckburg.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
i'm not gonna deny that Scrooge has some personality defects making things a little harder then they need to be for him but, uh, I think the ultimate responsibility for dedicating your existence to outdoing the world's richest duck in every aspect of his persona no matter the means and probably killing him along the way would probably fall to the Glomgold. The duck who didn't think lifting probably a cool couple thousand and a solid gold money clip off the dude who stiffed him a few bucks was sufficient retribution.

Duke Baloney was an extremely convoluted, mostly redundant time bomb.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm still waiting for the episode where Glomgold suffers a rage stroke and falls into a coma then Scrooge drinks himself stupid because he feels so guilty from not trying to mend fences and Dewey must come to terms with the feelings he developed during their dance. Louie does some soul searching about the price of wealth, and Huey has an existential crisis about the nature of life and death. Webby and Beakley question their life choices when faced with a problem they can't fight their way out of, and Launchpad disappears while flying over Cape Suzette. Then Donald, with a freshly-rescued Della in tow, walks in to see Scrooge passed out on the floor, not breathing with a bottle of scotch in his hand...

TO BE CONTINUED!

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 16, 2018

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I'm still waiting for the episode where Glomgold suffers a rage stroke and falls into a coma then Scrooge drinks himself stupid because he feels so guilty from not trying to mend fences and Dewey must come to terms with the feelings he developed during their dance. Louie does some soul searching about the price of wealth, and Huey has an existential crisis about the nature of life and death. Webby and Beakley question their life choices when faced with a problem they can't fight their way out of, and Launchpad disappears while flying over Cape Suzette. Then Donald, with a freshly-rescued Della in tow, walks in to see Scrooge passed out on the floor, not breathing with a bottle of scotch in his hand...

TO BE CONTINUED!

Funny thing is you'd only have to change a couple things for that to be plausible as an actual episode

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Bit of a bump but finally caught up :toot:

Two questions: when is this coming back?

Also, did Launchpad have a menorah sweater?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kazy posted:

Bit of a bump but finally caught up :toot:

Two questions: when is this coming back?

Also, did Launchpad have a menorah sweater?

We don’t know, and yes he did.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Anyone been reading the comics/graphic novels?

They're an excellent pairing with the show. First couple focus on Donald and the boys along with ones about Della, Donald and Scrooge going on adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

nsfw for audio and lyrics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXPcBI4CJc8