Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Well I couldn't make robot mafia so I made budgie mafia instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Well, this game is off to an interesting start. My guaranteed planet spawned the "fake planet" anomaly on it.

Also I think megacorps might be well suited towards going hard on xenophile and opening the diplomacy tree as soon as they meet anyone (or their second tree). Proper application of gifts can get a lot of people to like you enough to be getting trade agreements with them. Alternatively, has anyone tried being a federation building criminal megacorp? Once they sign on the dotted line, it is already too late to be mad about the fine print!

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
If only, they can't join federations :ohdear:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Sultan Tarquin posted:

If only, they can't join federations :ohdear:

Except if a Great Khan spawns, dies and the subjects federate. They just did in my game, then the remainder of the Khans systems left the federation immediately afterwards.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

The main reason to buy Megacorp is to add "The March of Profits" to your in-game music.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Blooming Brilliant posted:

The main reason to buy Megacorp is to add "The March of Profits" to your in-game music.

The music does remain top tier stuff. Good thing you can extract it from the files, as this is the first time since launch I've actively uninstalled Stellaris. Maybe it'll come back for me later.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

With bugfixes, balance passes, maybe a re-think of a couple mechanics (like the loving inexcusably horrible new sector system sorry guys) 2.2 is feeling pretty good.

The main question is if they can get the AI to ever play it. I really don't understand why they've made yet another complicated system the AI really really struggles with. Glavius AI mod had the tile AI actually good but now we're back to square one. Planets with like 10 police stations because crime occurred once in the planet's history. The AI seemingly never upgrading their buildings even when sitting on some rich deposits of the associated resource.

I'm still not 100% on board with rare resources as upkeep for all the upgraded buildings. It requires a lot of juggling and re-checking your flows and it also seems like something that really trips up the AI. Maybe just make the upgraded buildings cost a lot of that resource but no ongoing upkeep? Or only have the ongoing upkeep part of the level 3 building? You get rid of the upkeep and the resources loose a lot of their value, but the current system is pretty fiddly and the AI can't figure it out.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Is it just me or are the techs to use the space resources (Motes/Gas/Crystals) locked behind the buildings that require it?

That seems kinda backwards

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I hope a mod can make it so terraforming planets doesn't lose the cool modifiers. Like stated swapping everything to machine worlds is pretty important for robots late game yet I lose all the extra resource mines and cool event stuff. Kind of a bummer.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TalonDemonKing posted:

Is it just me or are the techs to use the space resources (Motes/Gas/Crystals) locked behind the buildings that require it?

That seems kinda backwards
In my games so far - none of which have gotten past the early stages of the mid game because I'm a squirrel on speed and can't focus - I have never gotten to the point of being able to mine the rare space resources out of space.

But I have gotten the techs to generate them from minerals and I've been able to buy some from space enclaves. It would not have been economy-wrecking to get enough of a steady flow of them to upgrade a relevant building on my homeworld while still accumulating a reserve over time.

So it seems like this is a low key motivator to go send out your science ships to explore new worlds, if you meet the trader enclaves you can score rare resources in the early game.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
So I hit the point where I can beat up Fallen Empires with ease in my robo game, and I figure I'll type some words about the experience.

1. Your unity producers producing a single type of research is dumb. Super dumb. Especially when you're a robot and the research you're getting a ton of is the one that is especially short for robits. I hit repeatable techs in the super early 2300s for society and it is just so dumb. If they need to be producing research, at least make it industry where all the cool robot techs are. In the 2380s, I'm still producing twice as much society research as the other types and I've been prioritizing them hard.

2. Upgrade times for ships are absurd. Upgrading my main fleet took literally 10 years of game time, at 140 fleet cap. I could build 140 fleet cap worth of ships in a tenth of that time with only a couple of shipyards. You can split your fleet up into bite sized pieces to divvy up the upgrading, but I shouldn't have to.

3. The overall robot experience is all about moving population around so you hit the breakpoints for your primary building to maximize growth. Having 25 pop on 4 worlds is worse than having 40 on one and 20 on three and so forth. Or once a world is fully built you need to regularly shuttle population out of it. So much dumb micromanagement. Automate this poo poo please or rework the system so a planet with assembly disabled shares out its assembly rate among your other planets.

4. The numbers for robots need a looking at. Early game is super tight on energy and minerals, and you need to deprioritize research and unity production to a huge degree to run a sustainable economy. At least in comparison to my Megacorp start, unity and research lagged far behind, though the late game growth is snowbally as hell with robits.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Yeah even after fixing the leader traits thing the game runs like garbage and is slower than late game CK2 from the start with a huge galaxy. As I don’t really like playing smaller galaxies this is pretty much a dealbreaker. Combined with the fact that my pessimism about the AI being correct, looks like everyone should shelve this game until Paradox can get its poo poo together. Cmon Wiz.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Thoughts after about 12 hours of play: despite some rough edges balance wise I think this is easily a much better strategy game and universe/world/society simulator, both of which are important to me. It’s definitely harder, though, but in a way that I think is worth it. At least now while I’m still learning I feel like there’s tough decisions to make all over the place. I didn’t even really think the AI had many issues, though I was only paying attention to my two staunch allies. They both built up their worlds well, no precinct spam, and I don’t think I ever saw them with more than a pop or two of unemployment. They bought stuff from the caravaneers and settled a planet using my pops only from an immigration agreement. The only thing that seemed off sometimes was some unimproved space resources. Only had one war and that seemed about the same as before.

Overall super pleased. As a foundation for building into the future I think it’s miles ahead of where the game was a few days ago.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Palemdromes posted:

Yeah even after fixing the leader traits thing the game runs like garbage and is slower than late game CK2 from the start with a huge galaxy. As I don’t really like playing smaller galaxies this is pretty much a dealbreaker. Combined with the fact that my pessimism about the AI being correct, looks like everyone should shelve this game until Paradox can get its poo poo together. Cmon Wiz.

I haven't had any performance problems, maybe it's only with some hardware and drivers?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

With bugfixes, balance passes, maybe a re-think of a couple mechanics (like the loving inexcusably horrible new sector system sorry guys) 2.2 is feeling pretty good.

The main question is if they can get the AI to ever play it. I really don't understand why they've made yet another complicated system the AI really really struggles with. Glavius AI mod had the tile AI actually good but now we're back to square one. Planets with like 10 police stations because crime occurred once in the planet's history. The AI seemingly never upgrading their buildings even when sitting on some rich deposits of the associated resource.

I'm still not 100% on board with rare resources as upkeep for all the upgraded buildings. It requires a lot of juggling and re-checking your flows and it also seems like something that really trips up the AI. Maybe just make the upgraded buildings cost a lot of that resource but no ongoing upkeep? Or only have the ongoing upkeep part of the level 3 building? You get rid of the upkeep and the resources loose a lot of their value, but the current system is pretty fiddly and the AI can't figure it out.

Out of curiosity, what are your AI relevant settings (Empires based on galaxy size, advanced starts to normal, difficulty, scaling, aggressiveness, placement, neighbors)?

You'll want to have your difficulty high enough for how hard you want it, scaling off, and enough AIs that there is a limit on how much space you can expand without having to fight for it, and enough advanced starts to provide mid-to-late game gristle for you to tussle with.

The AI seems to grow slower than before early on since it spends more on fleets, so if you're on a lower difficulty and have a smaller number of AIs you're going to be able to out-landgrab them. This was true before, but with how alloys work it seems to be a bit more true. At least early on everyone I meet (admiral, no scaling, 600 stars, high spawns, normal aggressiveness) has good expansion rate on planets if not systems, and has a solid fleet. If they don't like me and I haven't built up on fleet, they will actually move on to actual war.

Palemdromes posted:

Man you need to take a break from internetting, go out and have some drinks or see a movie or something.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Mazz posted:

The problem is that you basically linearly scale up your resource drains as you do your additions in a lot of cases, especially robots.

Yeah, I do not like this. Economic growth in the game as it is is almost all extensive, not intensive. It just doesn’t feel right, and it means the economy never takes off.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
I just met enough civilizations to start the galactic market chain and I got a pop up telling me I can start the event chain, but I have no idea how to start it. It isn't in my situation log. Anyone know what I am supposed to do?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ZypherIM posted:

Out of curiosity, what are your AI relevant settings (Empires based on galaxy size, advanced starts to normal, difficulty, scaling, aggressiveness, placement, neighbors)?

You'll want to have your difficulty high enough for how hard you want it, scaling off, and enough AIs that there is a limit on how much space you can expand without having to fight for it, and enough advanced starts to provide mid-to-late game gristle for you to tussle with.

The AI seems to grow slower than before early on since it spends more on fleets, so if you're on a lower difficulty and have a smaller number of AIs you're going to be able to out-landgrab them. This was true before, but with how alloys work it seems to be a bit more true. At least early on everyone I meet (admiral, no scaling, 600 stars, high spawns, normal aggressiveness) has good expansion rate on planets if not systems, and has a solid fleet. If they don't like me and I haven't built up on fleet, they will actually move on to actual war.

Man you need to take a break from internetting, go out and have some drinks or see a movie or something.

Admiral, close to max AIs on a .25 medium galaxy. I think stellaris ai has always struggled with opm sized states. Most countries on my map have 3-4 planets. There is a ton of unclaimed space full of rare resources too but so many empires have just given up on life they don't claim. A bunch have juicy planets in their borders and they just won't colonize despite being in migration treaties with the correct hab types. It's the very late game and no one has a fleet over 5000 or a single upgraded building.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

BigRoman posted:

I just met enough civilizations to start the galactic market chain and I got a pop up telling me I can start the event chain, but I have no idea how to start it. It isn't in my situation log. Anyone know what I am supposed to do?

Decision on a planet.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Cynic Jester posted:

So I hit the point where I can beat up Fallen Empires with ease in my robo game, and I figure I'll type some words about the experience.

1. Your unity producers producing a single type of research is dumb. Super dumb. Especially when you're a robot and the research you're getting a ton of is the one that is especially short for robits. I hit repeatable techs in the super early 2300s for society and it is just so dumb. If they need to be producing research, at least make it industry where all the cool robot techs are. In the 2380s, I'm still producing twice as much society research as the other types and I've been prioritizing them hard.

2. Upgrade times for ships are absurd. Upgrading my main fleet took literally 10 years of game time, at 140 fleet cap. I could build 140 fleet cap worth of ships in a tenth of that time with only a couple of shipyards. You can split your fleet up into bite sized pieces to divvy up the upgrading, but I shouldn't have to.

3. The overall robot experience is all about moving population around so you hit the breakpoints for your primary building to maximize growth. Having 25 pop on 4 worlds is worse than having 40 on one and 20 on three and so forth. Or once a world is fully built you need to regularly shuttle population out of it. So much dumb micromanagement. Automate this poo poo please or rework the system so a planet with assembly disabled shares out its assembly rate among your other planets.

4. The numbers for robots need a looking at. Early game is super tight on energy and minerals, and you need to deprioritize research and unity production to a huge degree to run a sustainable economy. At least in comparison to my Megacorp start, unity and research lagged far behind, though the late game growth is snowbally as hell with robits.

I wholeheartedly agree with all of this. Late game I solved both my mineral and energy problems, mainly with min/maxing machine worlds and the unlocked districts, but I can't say I enjoyed all the steps getting there. MEs and robits need some work, for sure, exactly along these lines.

Overall I do like the planetary changes once you play with it and get the feel for it, but theres some numbers to tune and some stuff to add/remove definitely.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 8, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

Admiral, close to max AIs on a .25 medium galaxy. I think stellaris ai has always struggled with opm sized states. Most countries on my map have 3-4 planets. There is a ton of unclaimed space full of rare resources too but so many empires have just given up on life they don't claim. A bunch have juicy planets in their borders and they just won't colonize despite being in migration treaties with the correct hab types. It's the very late game and no one has a fleet over 5000 or a single upgraded building.

My man, if they expand too much they will go over the admin cap.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Cynic Jester posted:

I think "research" needs to be combined into one number. There's very little strategic value in splitting it up into 3, espcially now where you don't have a meaningful way to improve one you're lacking in. Just change all current single sources of research to 1/3 of their current value and combine all research into one number.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Cynic Jester posted:

Decision on a planet.

Thanks!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

turn off the TV posted:

My man, if they expand too much they will go over the admin cap.

It honestly feels like the AI thinks it can't go over admin cap. They colonize 3 planets, claim a dozen or so systems, then stop totally.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

don't worry glavius started working on a ground-up rebuild of his mod literally within an hour or two of 2.2 dropping and he posted that the AI modding hooks into the new system are much more extensive than what was available for the tiles AI, so i'm confident he can make it work

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Jazerus posted:

don't worry glavius started working on a ground-up rebuild of his mod literally within an hour or two of 2.2 dropping and he posted that the AI modding hooks into the new system are much more extensive than what was available for the tiles AI, so i'm confident he can make it work

It's cool that he now has a 2.1 compatible mod for people that want to roll back to 2.1.x builds and that the 2.2 is available for 2.2 havers, very nice :hai:

I tried the Glavius tile experience for a day or two before 2.2 dropped, holy poo poo was the AI competitive. That mod really makes the AI brutal.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Stellaris has some really clever modders, if the API is there they can make most anything work.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Is imperial prerogative ever ever worth getting? It adds I think 30 cap to your empire size. I don't know if the extremely broad but somewhat shallow benefits are worth it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

wiegieman posted:

Stellaris has some really clever modders, if the API is there they can make most anything work.

Yeah, if anything what 2.2 has given us is an amazingly flexible foundation that will hopefully allow everyone to mix and match mods to get the game really suited to their tastes.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

It honestly feels like the AI thinks it can't go over admin cap. They colonize 3 planets, claim a dozen or so systems, then stop totally.

In my experience they don't mind going over too much.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

turn off the TV posted:

In my experience they don't mind going over too much.

Yeah, in an ideal situation for the AI I'm sure they do well. The AI just seems to really have trouble in certain situations like low-planets high-AI maps. Little things like how the AI will stop everything and cover their planet in police stations then never get rid of them also can cripple a lot of AI's. There's just a lot more potential fail states for the AI to get stuck in now.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

I’d be really bummed if they did this. Being able to research more techs at once over a longer period of time each feels much better to me than one at a time very quickly. It’s just another thing that ends up basically saying “due to circumstances and some of my decisions, this is what my empire has become good at,” which i really like.

Scattiering some physics/engineering over some other jobs sounds good, though.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Well later on it is 30 admin cap worth of penalties (megacorps get 50% worse penalties, so worth 45 of a normal empire). Each size is 0.3 tech, 0.5 unity, 1 campaign/leader/leader upkeep. So it is -9% tech costs, -15% unity, -30% campaign/leader/leader upkeep. So once you've grown to benefit from it it is stronger than several of the other perks IMO.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

lol my physics research is ridiculously lopsided towards physics due to the inter dimensional portal, with society a distand second and engineering 3rd.

are their any buildings that only give engineering research?

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Finished the Worm-in-waiting chain and uh....

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
Armageddon bombing worlds to oblivion isn't turning them into tomb worlds any more :argh:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So Nihilistic Acquisition is a downright amazing starting perk now if you use slaves and start near a pre-ftl planet.

These are my demographics 62 years into the game after starting next to two primitive planets and conquering one that was a late space age that managed to get to space before I got around to them. I have 4 planets.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Has the high resolution UI mod been updated for 2.2?

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Could someone tell me what's exclusive to the Le Guin expansion and what's available through the 2.2 patch? I might not be able to get the expansion till Christmas but I kinda have the itch to start a new game right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

Bakanogami posted:

Could someone tell me what's exclusive to the Le Guin expansion and what's available through the 2.2 patch? I might not be able to get the expansion till Christmas but I kinda have the itch to start a new game right now.

The majority of the changes are the patch. The expansion is mostly the new MegaCorp government type. Also there’s some new megastructures, some new advanced types of worlds, a new class of neutral NPCs, a few new civics and some cool new music/advisor voices. Certainly not a requirement to have a good time with the new systems.