Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

At the peak you could buy nifty looking physical bitcoins for a couple of bucks.

I was sorely tempted to get a couple and offer them for sale at say, 90% of then current price.

But then I realized I wasn't a poo poo human being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Harveygod posted:

Ghostty will always be my favorite for making this post.

Bitcoin 3000: Anal Creampied Hiv Positive Supervirus Retard Nocoiner Cucks win this round

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Waltzing Along posted:

He deserves it for wearing that hat. Not because of the bitcoin logo, though that is part of it. Not because the hat is too big for his small head. But because of the awful flat brim which shows he is completely retarded.

His aesthetic is perfect.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MrUnderbridge posted:

At the peak you could buy nifty looking physical bitcoins for a couple of bucks.

I was sorely tempted to get a couple and offer them for sale at say, 90% of then current price.

But then I realized I wasn't a poo poo human being.

The hardest part of get rich quick schemes is realizing you have to be a spineless turd with no conscience to execute them.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ripoff posted:

If there was a way to prove that the mined coins to date are still accessible by their owners (regardless of how they were gained), I’d wager a bet that it’d be about 20% of the coins out there, max. Weren’t more than half of the coins mined to date done so in the first like 3 weeks the network was up regardless, and the first person to mine (all hail Satoshi) literally has like 25% of the loving coins in existence?

I think that most of the people getting into this thing don’t realize how “get rich quick” relies on the first people in gaming the suckers, and that as of today the game is 100% suckers.

Yeah, there is a stash of 980,000 butts that are assumed to be Satoshi's that have never moved.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

The White Dragon posted:

you can't think of it from this perspective. you have to think about it like this:

"even if i had bought/mined/accepted bitcoin, unless i kept it all in a completely offline wallet, i would've lost it all in mtgox, billion-dollar backdoor heists, storing it exchanges that were never legitimate to begin with, or any other number of other ways that people who were just waiting for their btc to appreciate have lost it over the past decade."

Yeah I know and even said I would have lost all my shitcoins but holy poo poo with hindsight there was a lot of money to be made

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, there is a stash of 980,000 butts that are assumed to be Satoshi's that have never moved.

Satoshi is a consortium of electric companies imo, and they are loving genius

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Waltzing Along posted:

Remember when Ham Sandwiches would post? Then it was Ghosty. Now it's I'm a stupid linux user. He'll go away and then someone new will show up to pwn us all with his hot takes and vaguely credible claims about cashing out and making mad stacks.

MyLinuxRig is actually dead. He lost all his bitcoins in Mt. Gox, thought of it and died.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Please help keep bitcoin ghost safe :ghost:

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
My linux rig posts in many other threads, yall just run him off

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

McGiggins posted:

My linux rig posts in many other threads, yall just run him off
Q: Why won't MLR post in YLLS?
A: Because any ghost fears to exorcise

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
True believers only post when the price has been going up for a while, not when it's tumbling.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Wasn't it hard to actually exchange a bitcoin for the ten grand they were trading for?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

let it mellow posted:

Not gonna lie, I read the bitcoin thread when some dude paid like 10k bitcoins for some other dude to buy him a dominos pizza. I could’ve got loaded on idiots but I thought it was too stupid to succeed.

In reality I probably would have not made much since I would have sold it all early or had dollars in a “hacked” exchange but still, I’d like to go back to 2011 and throw a couple grand at this idiocy and enjoy the returns a year ago

Hey since you're time-travelling to 2009, can you tell the me from the past to invest all they have in Netflix, and sell in Jun 2018? I will have made 100x my investment without any of the Bitcoin risks.

Thanks

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Lol, this post was less than a month ago and Bitcoin has lost half its value since then

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

https://www.blockchain.com/en/charts/hash-rate?timespan=all

:tif:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
How much per bushel of Bitcorn?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Lambert posted:

fifty smackeroonis

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Star Man posted:

Wasn't it hard to actually exchange a bitcoin for the ten grand they were trading for?

Depends on your definition of hard. If you think providing scans of all your ID and waiting up to two weeks to be approved, then waiting however long the exchange feels like dicking you around to get your filthy FIAT out is hard, then yeah.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Star Man posted:

it's been many years since it was hard to cash out $10k worth of bitcoins (unless you need to hide them from the government)

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Depends on your definition of hard. If you think providing scans of all your ID and waiting up to two weeks to be approved, then waiting however long the exchange feels like dicking you around to get your filthy FIAT out is hard, then yeah.

it's literally as hard as linking a bank account to paypal and cashing out ebay earnings

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Lambert posted:

I'm afraid the price has fallen so much they're leaving the bitcoins to rot in the field.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

for a long while the most efficient miner was the antminer s9 which provides 14.5 TH/s and is currently selling for $350 (naturally it sold for a lot more back when it purported to print money)

That's over $700 million actual dollars of hardware that just turned into scrap.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Could BTC miners be repurposed to break MD5 for more nefarious purposes? Maybe you could trick them into breaking password hashes with a fake blockchain. There's big money in that

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

ikanreed posted:

Lol, this post was less than a month ago and Bitcoin has lost half its value since then

Yeah but in 10 years bitcoin will be worth 500,000+%

You absolute moron

You financial buffoon

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

poverty goat posted:

Could BTC miners be repurposed to break MD5 for more nefarious purposes? Maybe you could trick them into breaking password hashes with a fake blockchain. There's big money in that

It's cheaper and more ecologically conscious to do that by breaking someone's knee with a crowbar.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

McSpanky posted:

The hardest part of get rich quick schemes is realizing you have to be a spineless turd with no conscience to execute them.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Paladinus posted:

It's cheaper and more ecologically conscious to do that by breaking someone's knee with a crowbar.

Not if your parents pay for the electricity

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

poverty goat posted:

Nope, that's the wonderful thing about asics. Their only function is performing the specific hashing operation used by bitcoin and its clones and nothing else.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

fisting by many posted:

Nope, that's the wonderful thing about asics. Their only function is performing the specific hashing operation used by bitcoin and its clones and nothing else.

which is MD5 right?

e: I mean SHA-256. I mixed my hash functions up but this is not a thing that's unique to bitcoin and I'm sure there are lucrative opportunities to undermine someone's security with a SHA-256 cracking supercomputer

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 9, 2018

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

poverty goat posted:

which is MD5 right?

SHA256

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Even if you took all the hashing power in the world, and set it to the task of producing a single collision, it wouldn't happen in any reasonable timeframe.

If SHA-256 gets broken, it'll be by some new mathematics that makes it easier than brute-force by some huge factor, turning it into an easier problem that can be brute-forced. It's unlikely that mining asics would be useful for solving that easier problem though.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

poverty goat posted:

it's been many years since it was hard to cash out $10k worth of bitcoins (unless you need to hide them from the government)
it's literally as hard as linking a bank account to paypal and cashing out ebay earnings

this turns out to be false

(that was a year ago, it's even harder now)

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

So if the price stay about the same and people continue to unplug their miners, will the network will just stay on a standstill and there will be no transaction(or almost none) possible, even trough the exchanges?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Bleusilences posted:

So if the price stay about the same and people continue to unplug their miners, will the network will just stay on a standstill and there will be no transaction(or almost none) possible, even trough the exchanges?

Nah, not really. Exchanges don’t depend on the blockchain, so you do all transactions there without issues. If hashing rate goes down, transaction time will go up, but bitcoin adjusts difficulty every two weeks (really every 2016 blocks), so after a while “speed” will be back where it were. According to https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty difficulty went down from around 53000 to just over 40000 already.

The “frisbee on the roof” scenario requires that an extreme number of mining capacity leaves simultaneously.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

poverty goat posted:

what yore thinking of would be a bit for bit identical hash which is much more difficult than getting a winning block that only needs a fraction of the bits to be 0s

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
lmao this nerd-lord on cnn is talking about how china is basically cash-less with everyone paying for everything using mobile phones, allowing direct person to person transfers for any amount for almost zero fees

even their homeless people have QR codes to scan to give them money because no one has change

when america's financial system manages to crawl out of the third world all this bitcoin poo poo is going to lose even its most argued use-case

Barudak
May 7, 2007

China is absolutely not a cashless society, because all of the tons of illegal poo poo is done that way for obvious reasons.

That said Ali-pay and its ilk is everything bitcoiners wanted bitcoin to be but you know, fiat currency. The US lacks ali-pay everywhere because that system requires a shitload of unbanked people and no intermediary steps like the US has from cash to pure scan and pay.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
most of the hold-ups on improving america's financials were due to credit card company lobbying, I remember

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ad by Khad posted:

most of the hold-ups on improving america's financials were due to credit card company lobbying, I remember

Yeah, no intermediary steps. China basically skipped checks and credit cards and went straight to digital pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Ad by Khad posted:

when america's financial system manages to crawl out of the third world all this bitcoin poo poo is going to lose even its most argued use-case

The bitcoin use case is the ability to do this without every dime you give to a bum being supervised by bankers and law enforcement so I'm not sure the chinese model is quite the death blow you're imagining