Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Plan Z posted:

Metroid Prime had fun boss fights and there had to have been at least one good one in the Bioshock games, right?

I have found memories of taking on Big Daddies but I'm struggling to remember anything about the set piece bosses other than Fontaine's chiseled abs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Plan Z posted:

Metroid Prime had fun boss fights and there had to have been at least one good one in the Bioshock games, right?

Metroid Prime had good bosses (probably because they had to try and convert the feel of platforming bosses to 3d). Can't remember anything but bad Bioshock bosses.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

on the subject of bosses and all of that, i just beat dusk and it was incredibly loving rad

that ending sequence and the game's levels in general: :discourse:

I made the mistake of saving during the triple boss when it was almost dead and discovered when I came back that it has a wonderful bug that turns the battle into a no-hit, no-ammo battle if you load in that fight the bosses get all their health back.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
happy birthday to the best game

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

If it counts, then I liked SKX from Condemned.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The original Jedi Knight has fuckin sick bosses, granted they strongly incentivize melee combat rather than first person shooting. The sequels never quite topped them imo, even if the combat itself got much smoother. Gorc & Pic are god tier boss fight in any genre.

The two Scarabs fight in Halo 3 is really fun though it’s more because it just plays right to the strengths of Halo game (huge battles in a big open space with option for vehicles) than because the “bosses” are so good.

Spider mastermind in DOOM is good. Cyberdemon is so-so. Hell Guards are boring and look silly

Dusk bosses aren’t incredibly exciting mechanically, the final boss is basically just a somewhat more enjoyable version of Nihilanth. But, and this is really important, there is a good concept behind many of them that makes them entertaining and satisfying to fight this also goes for nihilanth despite him being boring enemy. The secret rat boss is not hard or well designed, but it’s hilarious punchline to a joke level.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

skasion posted:

Dusk bosses aren’t incredibly exciting mechanically, the final boss is basically just a somewhat more enjoyable version of Nihilanth. But, and this is really important, there is a good concept behind many of them that makes them entertaining and satisfying to fight this also goes for nihilanth despite him being boring enemy. The secret rat boss is not hard or well designed, but it’s hilarious punchline to a joke level.

yeah, the important part is that none of the bosses felt actively awful and generally didn't take all that long to ultimately take down. there's a couple of secret bosses to bump into and they were actually pretty funny. the end scenario isn't the most unique thing in the world and no one is going to say it is by any stretch, but like the rest of the game it's very solidly executed and enjoyable which counts for a lot.

e: also i'm really glad to see rekkr get on the cacowards. it'd be weird if it didn't, but, actually seeing it happen is cool.

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 10, 2018

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

david_a posted:

I think it’s broken under DosBox, or maybe that’s just the level editor, I don’t remember.

The game isn’t that good. It’s a weird wannabe Quake that’s trying its best to hide the fact that its engine is closer to Wolf 3D. Any height variation or what looks like complicated level geometry is just a model that you can walk on.

Wait it's not running on the quake engine? That would explain the flat levels.

Also how is project warlock? I've only just seen it on steam.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Flannelette posted:

Wait it's not running on the quake engine?
Chasm was developed by a small Ukrainian team called Action Forms using their own engine that was basically tile-based like Wolfenstein, except the tiles were 3D modelled. They went on to make the Carnivores series of dinosaur hunting sims, along with the horror game Cryostasis.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Has anyone ever put together a full history of Doom modding split into its various eras, with key releases in each of them? That's something I'd really like to read.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrbH2ilr-Kg

The new 2018 Quake Xmas jam is out guys, link in description of the video!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Any special highlight people want to share from the list?

From this thread I read before about :

The Adventures of Square: Episode 2
REKKR
GMOTA <= the only I played
Total Chaos

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

im playing through dusk again cause its been a while and i want to appreciate the game as a whole instead of diving straight into episode 3 (though it was super tempting) and ive just gotta say some more how loving good this game is.

i agree that i'd like better first person models for the guns (or even just better textures that make them look like better models, like quake 1 had) and some of the enemies are just a liiiittle bit too low poly (compare dusk's soldiers to quake's grunts, or dusk's flame guys to quake's ogres), but for me at least when I make those complaints i'm really nitpicking.

- the game plays absolutely astoundingly well
- the atmosphere is fantastic
- the sounds are good
- the music is good
- the level design is fantastic
- the secrets toe the line between painkiller bullshit where you have to exploit physics glitches to find them, and super easy secrets where it's just going to a corner somewhere and picking up an item. it's a challenge to find them, but not frustrating and impossible
- weapon selection is very solid, although i'd say the riveter and the mortar seem to serve basically the same purpose
- its fuckin cool

really the game kind of reminds me of a really good, gloomy heavy metal album cover. like how i perceived iron maiden album covers when i was a kid and they were still kind of scary to me, not how corny they look now.

and it's basically what i think we want from a retro fps. it captures the gameplay that made that era great, and improves on stuff like the way the movement feels, technological advancements since then, etc. it has a great kinetic feel to it, you can genuinely feel your character and the environment, there's weight and momentum and stuff. which to me is what is missing from modern fps gaming. stuff like call of duty, battlefield, you're basically stuck in the mud.

we went from games where player physics were just beginning to be a thing (doom, quake) then a generation or two later moved to games that were specifically tailored around advanced player movement (UT2k4, tribes 2 and on), but since then all that stuff has been progressively pared back. even though i enjoy playing modern shooters like cod, and even though cod is still running (as far as i'm aware) on a highly modified quake engine, you feel that your movement is very locked down. even doom 2016, which was retro in so many ways, had very standard modern movement.

dusk really harkens back to a time when you could really fling yourself about, and its great.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I just started playing DUSK (I’ve been waiting for the full release) and holy hell you guys were right. It’s loving awesome. Just incredibly, incredibly good. poo poo.

Also, wow, the Cacowards are really something this year. Makes me want to get back into Doom mapping, but the number of weird tricks to learn is kind of daunting. I’m gonna have to play through some of these winners - they look incredible.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Turin Turambar posted:

Any special highlight people want to share from the list?

From this thread I read before about :

The Adventures of Square: Episode 2
REKKR
GMOTA <= the only I played
Total Chaos

Maskim Xul was a highlight for me, as was Dimensions of the Boomed.

Also, a new Boom megawad by Dragonfly dropped a couple hours ago: Eviternity! Features 32 maps, new textures and monsters, and guest maps from the likes of Xaser, Skillsaw, Mechadon and me I guess.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Dusk is the Mandy of videogames and I feel so Blessed that I got to experience both in the same year.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Probably the only part of dusk episode 3 i didn't like was the big arena fight in the second? to last level (the one with the transparent world), specifically once the boss shows up because when i quicksaved the game it refilled the bosses health which i dont remember happening on any other boss. Before that though I had a lot of fun creating a shitload of monster infighting.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Happy birthday to pretty much the only game I continually play since 1995.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Plan Z posted:

Bioshock 2: Twin Big Sister fight, if only for being a final exam on how you prepare for them and cope with their attacks but having the twist that you fight two in a large room rather then one in an entire level.

Also the final not-dlc fight is a "hold the line" alongside your daughter and you have enough tools to make it satisfying, if blander then the twins, struggle against the odds.

Happy birthday doom. :toot:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

0 rows returned posted:

Probably the only part of dusk episode 3 i didn't like was the big arena fight in the second? to last level (the one with the transparent world), specifically once the boss shows up because when i quicksaved the game it refilled the bosses health which i dont remember happening on any other boss. Before that though I had a lot of fun creating a shitload of monster infighting.

I think I cheesed this boss (and the whole level, really) by just circle strafing around the perimeter of the map. I got the boss down to 1/4 health by just circle strafing around like a mad man and having it damage itself with it's own splash damage. I didn't even fire a shot!

E:

https://twitter.com/romero/status/1072118656111386625

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 10, 2018

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
For good FPS boss fights, I do like the one at the end of Serious Sam FE, since you spend basically the entire level running away from the giant towering boss. The final battle combines shooting with a simple "Jump into 4 hoops for massive damage" extra.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Has anyone ever put together a full history of Doom modding split into its various eras, with key releases in each of them? That's something I'd really like to read.

There's actually one in-progress on this very website, in fact: Ripping and Tearing For All Eternity -- Let's Play ~20 Years of Doom. It's probably not what you had in mind, though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

juggalo baby coffin posted:

- the riveter and the mortar seem to serve basically the same purpose

Nah. Mortar is less damaging but more versatile, you can shoot it round corners, down holes, up over ledges, into the middle of groups much more easily than the riveter. I think it also has a bit wider area of effect than riveter but that might be wrong. Riveter has more direct damage and it shoots fast as gently caress for a rocket launcher, it slaughters bosses if you can keep shooting straight (and have ammo). It’s basically the same dynamic between grenade and rocket launchers as Q1, though without the shared ammo.

Mortar is also relatively useless against flying enemies which gets important in E3

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

On the topic of FPS bosses I remember the fight with the giant T. rex in that 2008 Turok game being pretty intense. Then you kill it by stuffing a grenade in its eye socket :black101:

The rest of the game was not as enjoyable.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
John Romero has announced SIGIL, a free Doom 1 mod containing 9 SP maps and 9 DM maps coming in mid-February. In addition, a bonus physical release(?!) is being put up for pre-order including music by Buckethead(!) and general physical silliness.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I was pretty close to guess it!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That's an absolutely brilliant way to make money off of your free mod and I sincerely hope other people run with this idea. It solves the problem of "how can I make money off these levels, without selling the levels themselves?"

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Unforeseen Consequences: A Half-Life Documentary by Noclip.

Hope it's good, not watched it yet.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That’s cool but lol that the shirt in the $166 collectors edition only comes in XL

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
holy poo poo episode 5! :vince:

his e1m8 was awesome too

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Am I the only one getting the apple.com favicon on Romeros site?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

TTerrible posted:

Am I the only one getting the apple.com favicon on Romeros site?

Ha, me too, I didn't originally notice.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Preordered the standard edition :cool:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Kins posted:

John Romero has announced SIGIL, a free Doom 1 mod containing 9 SP maps and 9 DM maps coming in mid-February. In addition, a bonus physical release(?!) is being put up for pre-order including music by Buckethead(!) and general physical silliness.

He could at least release a 20 sec teaser video with the announcement...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
That's pretty loving rad.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Fallom posted:

That’s cool but lol that the shirt in the $166 collectors edition only comes in XL

He's channelling the iD anthology box and that had the same thing with its' shirt.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Should have entitled it Full-Life Consequences, 0/10.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Fallom posted:

Preordered the standard edition :cool:

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Happy birthday doom

https://slayersclub.bethesda.net/en

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF7dqyZ1S6E

quote:

Over the next year we’re celebrating 25 years of ripping and tearing. Twenty-five years of mods, gibs, guns, and the most passionate, unwavering, and ardent fanbase this side of Phobos. Whether you cut your teeth in 1993 or if DOOM (2016) was your first trip to Hell, we’re asking all DOOM Slayers past, present, and future to unite in celebrating one of entertainment’s most iconic franchises.

Join the Slayers Club to receive an exclusive Zombie DOOM Slayer skin for DOOM Eternal when it launches. Stay tuned for more details in the coming weeks around how to participate in the Year of DOOM, including information on exclusive content, rewards, events, contests, and much more.

site fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 10, 2018