Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
This sushi joint I'm going to tomorrow has Camembert Tempura on the menu. I'm gonna try making my own batch but I dunno how I'm gonna keep instant-melt cheese contained in tempura batter. None of the recipes I've found say to freeze the cheese first so :shrug: we'll do it live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Doc Walrus posted:

This sushi joint I'm going to tomorrow has Camembert Tempura on the menu. I'm gonna try making my own batch but I dunno how I'm gonna keep instant-melt cheese contained in tempura batter. None of the recipes I've found say to freeze the cheese first so :shrug: we'll do it live

I made that the other night, I froze it briefly (maybe 10 minutes) but mostly it was just a really, really quick fry after cornstarch-egg-flour. With a real batter you can probably get away with even longer.

War crimes against Japanese cuisine effortpost incoming as soon as I figure out how to pull poo poo off my phone, which wants to be recognized as a MIDI input and not mass storage.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

an excellent japanese youtube cooking channel is Cooking With Dog. no, they don't eat dog on it. here's an appropriate recipe for the holiday season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmLkPBut8nI

unfortunately the dog died two years ago. two days before election day 2016, even. the world was trying to tell me something

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

get that OUT of my face posted:

an excellent japanese youtube cooking channel is Cooking With Dog. no, they don't eat dog on it. here's an appropriate recipe for the holiday season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmLkPBut8nI

unfortunately the dog died two years ago. two days before election day 2016, even. the world was trying to tell me something

And then they replaced it with a cartoon dog, which just kind of compounds the :smith:

VERY good channel though

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
欧好み焼き (or, "[tl note: untranslatable pun]")

Okonomiyaki is one of Japan's most beloved soul foods. This Osakan dish, a cabbage (and sometimes taro) pancake made savory with the use of broth rather than water in the batter, is served up at night market booths and hole-in-the-wall restaurants where it'll be cooked at your table as the chef nimbly incorporates your choice of chopped, bite-sized proteins and veg into something often known as "Japanese pizza" for its shape and made-to-orderness.
It also lives in a strange little culinary niche of foods found nowhere outside of Japan which are nonetheless considered "western" due to its use of a prepared fruit sauce and wheat batter, mirroring many American "Chinese" dishes.

But what if we pushed that to the limit?

What if we made the "grilled have-it-your-way", with its sweet-savory braised pork belly, sometimes ooey-gooey cheese, and dusting of shaved air-dried tuna, into a "grilled have-it-a-European's-way"?

INGREDIENTS

100g pastry flour*
1tsp prepared mustard*
2tsp tomato ketchup*
120ml water*
1 egg*
Pinch MSG*
300g sauerkraut, drained and washed then let dry until damp
100g shoestring fries, uh, fried and chopped into bite-size pieces
2 frankfurters, sliced baked beans style (I pussied out on going whole-hog into yeehaw territory, so these are some Sabrett's I had left over rather than embracing the Bar-S)
15g store-brand Rice Krispies
2 slices store-brand American cheese
Kansas City barbecue sauce (Aldi's from the back of my fridge)
Mayonnaise (Hellman's, no way am I wasting Kewpie on this)
One Jack Links beef stick, sliced extremely fine
Parsley that was borderline when I bought it a week ago and added entirely to be green

PREPARATION
1) Blend together the starred ingredients in a large bowl until fully combined, from "looks like a chicken abortion"

to "looks like a chicken miscarriage"

to "wait this looks okay"

2) Add the sauerkraut, frankfurters, and rice krispies,

and mix until fully-coated. (this is desperately important or the whole thing will fall apart)

3) Oil and heat a skillet over medium heat. If you have a glass top, just pull out the loving camp stove and make your life easier.

4) Spoon half of the mixture into the skillet, using a spatula to form it into a solid circular shape.

5) Layer the sliced cheese on top of the pancake, avoiding the edges.

6) Lightly press the remaining batter on top of the cheese, sealing it in.

7) When a fried crust begins to form on the bottom, lower the heat and flip the pancake. Continue frying until cooked through. Feel thankful that the crack from being bad at flipping occured on the top rather than the bottom.

8) Flip onto to plate.

Using a silicon spatula, slather with mayo,

then pour the barbecue sauce over in lines,

and finally sprinkle with the beef stick and parsley.

Serve and enjoy! (it's actually halfway decent, it just tastes like your second chew of each bite of hot dog the whole meal through)

(AS CLOSE TO) THE REAL THING (AS YOU'LL GET AT HOME) - I don't have room to eat both, so for pictures I'll just link to ayayagi's recipe on Cookpad, which I normally use and adapted from for this
100g pastry flour*
1tbsp dashi powder*
120ml water*
1 egg*
200g cabbage, rough-cut
100g hamsteak or thick-sliced ham, diced to fried rice size
50g melting cheese ([url="https://"https://cookpad.com/recipe/2588173"]optional[/url])
15g tenkasu (tempura batter spattered in oil and cooked as small droplets)
Japanese Worcestershire, chuno, or ideally okonomiyaki sauce (various subtly different essentially mixed-fruit ketchups, can be substituted with A1 or HP but certainly not Lea and Perrin's)
Kewpie mayonnaise
Katsuobushi
Aonori

PREPARATION
1) Blend together the starred ingredients in a large bowl until fully combined.
2) Add the cabbage, ham, and tenkasu.
3) Oil and heat a skillet over medium heat. Spoon the mixture into the skillet, using a spatula to form it into a solid circular shape.
4) When a fried crust begins to form on the bottom, lower the heat and flip the pancake. Continue frying until cooked through.
5) Transfer to plate. Swirl with sauce, criss-cross with mayo, then sprinkle with katsuobushi and aonori.

BONUS ROUND: DRINKS
When I think back to eating okonomiyaki in hole-in-the-wall restaurants, it's gotta be either a mass-market lager or a lime sour. But Japanese imports are expensive beyond their quality and semi-proper shochu highballs are way too classy for a recipe which involves mayo applied with a spatula, so I prepared two options:

MASS-MARKET LAGER WITH GIRAFFE DIGITALLY ADDED FOR COMPLETE SMARMY WORDPLAY AUTHENTICITY
no further comment

DEWHAI
1) Pour shochu that's like 3x the price of Iichiko and easily 10x the price of the 7-Eleven gallon jugs into a glass until the urge to stop wasting it overcomes the urge to drink enough to forget the above recipes

2) Cover with diet Mountain Dew to maximize :eng99:

3) Don't even bother stirring, I mean, c'mon
This was pretty nasty on its own, it somehow completely missed the point of mixers and combined the saccharine harshness of diet soda with the funk of shochu rather than eliminating them both. But somehow it was way more drinkable with a bit of the meal than the beer was.

MAKING AN ACTUAL LIME SOUR (THESE ARE VERY GOOD)
30ml lime syrup (Rose's works but is a little tangier/less sweet than Ribbon)
105ml club soda
45ml shochu
ice to fill

Mix and enjoy something that's like a much cheaper decent margarita except you can still remember how to mix it after a couple

e: fixed the actual real and good recipe you may want to try

Mandoric has issued a correction as of 03:50 on Dec 7, 2018

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

if you like to cook but are extremely lazy like me, a slow cooker is a godsend. i made an excellent southwestern chicken stew the other day, here's how to make it
  • 1 can pinto beans (you can also soak 1 cup of dry pinto beans overnight)
  • 3/4 cup salsa (medium or hot preferred)
  • chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (put in as many or as little as you want depending on how spicy you want it)
  • 2 tbsp all-purpose flower
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 1/2 pounds chicken thighs or chicken breast (skinless recommended)
  • kosher salt (sea salt works here too)
  • ground black pepper
  • 1 chopped red onion
  • 1 chopped red bell pepper
here are all the ingredients together. you can make the rice as part of the stew later. i also prefer Diamond Crystal kosher salt over Morton's because it's less dense

and here's my slow cooker. a 3 quart one is good enough

it's now time to prep. if your chicken has skin on it, brown it on a stovetop. if it isn't, don't do anything. chop up your onion, red pepper, and desired amount of chipotle peppers. drain the beans in a colander

now put the ingredients in the slow cooker
  • first, put in the beans, salsa, chipotle peppers, flour, and water. stir
  • rub the salt and pepper into the chicken (not too much kosher salt- it came out pretty salty for me this time). put it in the slow cooker
  • scatter the onion and red pepper on top
and you're done for a while. set the slow cooker to low and cook 8 hours, or set it to high and cook for 4 hours. this is what it looks like right before the end

when you're done, take the chicken out and pull it apart with two forks. it should look like this

serve over rice, or with tortilla chips. or just eat it plain. it's real good

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 01:59 on Dec 7, 2018

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I made some chicken "fajitas". They aren't really fajitas but I use Old El Paso fajita seasoning and it's p good.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Has that abortion been posted in the GBS pizzas that violate the Geneva convention thread yet

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

bird with big dick posted:

Has that abortion been posted in the GBS pizzas that violate the Geneva convention thread yet

which one lol

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Mandoric posted:

欧好み焼き (or, "[tl note: untranslatable pun]")

A perfect blend of chaos and quality. A dish for C-SPAM

My dinner tonight's less impressive but still turned out tasty. I tried asian fried rice instead of my usual biryani (biryani is much easier imo) with pork tenderloin, egg, thai chiles and mushrooms.

The texture is all wrong-- I didn't cook it on a high enough heat for fear of burning it, so it's not as crispy as fried rice is supposed to be.

Also I posted one of my famous paper plate pics in GWS once and wew lad, they did not like it

Doc Walrus has issued a correction as of 03:39 on Dec 7, 2018

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/JessicaHuseman/...agenumber%3D577

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
What’s a good pizza topping combo?

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

twoday posted:

What’s a good pizza topping combo?

olive oil as the sauce, mozzarella cheese topped with ricotta, red onions, capers, and smoked salmon. Bake it without the salmon of course, then put that on the cooked pizza

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1071160116450394114

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

Doc Walrus posted:

pretty much anything you are going to fry can be prepped and frozen ahead if time. theres no way a restaurant is breading and frying anything to order unless it’s dead simple.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Mandoric posted:

I made that the other night, I froze it briefly (maybe 10 minutes) but mostly it was just a really, really quick fry after cornstarch-egg-flour. With a real batter you can probably get away with even longer.

War crimes against Japanese cuisine effortpost incoming as soon as I figure out how to pull poo poo off my phone, which wants to be recognized as a MIDI input and not mass storage.

Frumply posted:

pretty much anything you are going to fry can be prepped and frozen ahead if time. theres no way a restaurant is breading and frying anything to order unless it’s dead simple.

Alright I'll chill for 10-15 minutes first.

In other japanese news, I just went to a live bluefin cutting at the local bougie grocery store and got some very, very marbled tuna for poke bowls later tonight. I'll :justpost: the results

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Doc Walrus posted:

Alright I'll chill for 10-15 minutes first.

In other japanese news, I just went to a live bluefin cutting at the local bougie grocery store and got some very, very marbled tuna for poke bowls later tonight. I'll :justpost: the results

As a side note, while the iffy wedges of babybel are way more authentic to shitamachi yakitori places, I had better luck with mine using cheap real camembert (tried both) because at least the rind kept it anchored on the skewer.

Maxing karaage this week, and I'll probably post about it, less because I can make it cursed goonfood that can also be the center of a who's-appropriating-who argument and more because it's a way to put filling protein on a plate for half a buck a person.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Kobu-cha is a type of Japanese tea made from sea kelp :eng101:

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Here's the 3/4 pound Bluefin I got:

Sliced it nice and thin against the grain like a steak, and it just melts in your mouth. I put it on a poke bowl with avocado and cucumber and drizzled spicy mayo (Kewpie mayo + Secret Aardvark Habanero Sauce) all over it.
Very, very nice dinner. I didn't take pictures of the full meal because the avocado, while tasty, was super ripe and dark and gross looking.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

so how much is that lil hunk of blubber

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

i say swears online posted:

so how much is that lil hunk of blubber

22 trumpbux

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

*extremely CSPAM voice* let me tell you about my bluefin tuna

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
nothing communicates leftist solidarity like eating an endangered species that's like $4/oz lmao

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
xephero and himalayan pink salt in lf....

all of this has happened before. all of this will happen again.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Cooking leftovers for breakfast with Prav

1. Open refrigerator
2. Take out suitable leftovers
  a. Potatoes
  b. Kålsnus

3. Find a clean plate.

4. Microwave.
5. Serve with lingonberry jam and must since it's too early in the morning for beer.

Preparing leftovers-to-be:
Note: I don't really do measures. Have fun. Also all photos are post-facto since I wasn't really planning on doing a writeup.

Kålsnus 6(?) servings
Kålsnus is a savory cabbage and beef dish that's traditionally served with potatoes, but also goes fine with pasta in my experience. You can make it as wet or as dry as you prefer.

500g ground beef. 50/50 pork/beef is also fine.
300g yellow onions. Give or take a hg.
a bag (400g) of pre-shred cabbage. or chop it by hand I guess, I always end up with half a head of cabbage hogging my fridge for ages when I do though.
Butter.
1500g mealy potatoes.
A few dl of water or light lager beer.
Some pretense of salad. In this case I thawed some peas and a few leftover haricots verts.

Seasoning:
A dab of worcestershire sauce.
Bouillon, 1 cube veg 1 beef.
Soy by preference.
Mixed ground peppers, black, red etc (I use Pepparmix).
--- Below this line is largely optional ---
A hint of coarse-ground mustard seeds.
Small dash of allspice.
Coriander.

First, find a suitable sap to peel the potatoes for you. Put water to boil.

Finely chop the onions and fry them in some butter. Add in the cabbage after a minute. Let fry until lightly golden. Put the vegetable fry aside in a bowl or whatever and fry the beef. Add more fat if the pan's dry, but no reason to go overboard. Brown the beef, add in the onion and cabbage. Add the fluid (water or beer), wait a minute or two before seasoning. Make sure the bouillon cubes get mixed out properly in the sauce. Let simmer until the potatoes are done. Add more fluid if it starts going too dry.

Find a sap, previous one will do fine, and have them set the table. Serve with the pretense of salad, lager beer and lingonberry jam (if unavailable, why maybe try some other sweet & sour berry jam idk).

My CSPAM political statement is that I don't cook as a hobby. I cook because someone in the household has to and I can't afford having some service worker do it for me every time I want something better than macaronis and meatballs. The most expensive ingredient in this recipe is the ground beef, and as noted replacing half of it with ground pork is just fine.

The ingredients involved, sans cabbage and potatoes since I used them all and onions since I forgot to include them:

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Willie Tomg posted:

nothing communicates leftist solidarity like eating an endangered species that's like $4/oz lmao

It's from a farm!

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Prav posted:

Cooking leftovers for breakfast with Prav

1. Open refrigerator
2. Take out suitable leftovers
  a. Potatoes
  b. Kålsnus

3. Find a clean plate.

4. Microwave.
5. Serve with lingonberry jam and must since it's too early in the morning for beer.

Preparing leftovers-to-be:
Note: I don't really do measures. Have fun. Also all photos are post-facto since I wasn't really planning on doing a writeup.

Kålsnus 6(?) servings
Kålsnus is a savory cabbage and beef dish that's traditionally served with potatoes, but also goes fine with pasta in my experience. You can make it as wet or as dry as you prefer.

500g ground beef. 50/50 pork/beef is also fine.
300g yellow onions. Give or take a hg.
a bag (400g) of pre-shred cabbage. or chop it by hand I guess, I always end up with half a head of cabbage hogging my fridge for ages when I do though.
Butter.
1500g mealy potatoes.
A few dl of water or light lager beer.
Some pretense of salad. In this case I thawed some peas and a few leftover haricots verts.

Seasoning:
A dab of worcestershire sauce.
Bouillon, 1 cube veg 1 beef.
Soy by preference.
Mixed ground peppers, black, red etc (I use Pepparmix).
--- Below this line is largely optional ---
A hint of coarse-ground mustard seeds.
Small dash of allspice.
Coriander.

First, find a suitable sap to peel the potatoes for you. Put water to boil.

Finely chop the onions and fry them in some butter. Add in the cabbage after a minute. Let fry until lightly golden. Put the vegetable fry aside in a bowl or whatever and fry the beef. Add more fat if the pan's dry, but no reason to go overboard. Brown the beef, add in the onion and cabbage. Add the fluid (water or beer), wait a minute or two before seasoning. Make sure the bouillon cubes get mixed out properly in the sauce. Let simmer until the potatoes are done. Add more fluid if it starts going too dry.

Find a sap, previous one will do fine, and have them set the table. Serve with the pretense of salad, lager beer and lingonberry jam (if unavailable, why maybe try some other sweet & sour berry jam idk).

My CSPAM political statement is that I don't cook as a hobby. I cook because someone in the household has to and I can't afford having some service worker do it for me every time I want something better than macaronis and meatballs. The most expensive ingredient in this recipe is the ground beef, and as noted replacing half of it with ground pork is just fine.

The ingredients involved, sans cabbage and potatoes since I used them all and onions since I forgot to include them:

Kålsnus sounds great, I'm always open to more things to do with potatoes. Also what should we do for the first C-SPAM IRON CHEF? Should we do a political theme, a food theme, or both at the same time? I'm assuming the theme won't be sushi.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I feel like a political concept would be best, because we've probably got a wider range of budgets and native/local/specialty/people for whom all three are different cuisines than average. Plus, I like the idea of a narrative on the table.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Doc Walrus posted:

It's from a farm!

is fish farming less bad for the environment than it used to be or

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
OK I get it it, I won't post any more fish.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Doc Walrus posted:

OK I get it it, I won't post any more fish.

frankly i didn't even know they farmed bluefin, or any other larger ocean fish. i thought we were still just on crawdads and tilapia, since that's all that's around here

also in your first post i thought you were potentially in japan at an illegal sale lol, but you'd have paid ten times the price

twoday
May 4, 2005

If you want to ball out on seafood, eat oysters and thereby encourage oyster farming, having more oysters in the seas filters out a lot of the ambient pollution and encourages a healthier overall biome

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

twoday posted:

If you want to ball out on seafood, eat oysters and thereby encourage oyster farming, having more oysters in the seas filters out a lot of the ambient pollution and encourages a healthier overall biome

Oysters filter out pollution? :eyepop: I think I had fried oysters once and I liked it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

twoday posted:

i can imagine they use different metrics for each type of seafood because there aren't a lot of studies or data, but that's still annoying for a standard of Worst Seafood

also yeah, all shellfish are absolutely amazing for the ocean environment

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Doc Walrus posted:

Oysters filter out pollution? :eyepop: I think I had fried oysters once and I liked it.

Oysters are filter feeders. As a consequence that tend to drag a lot of stuff out of the water. They also see use as living erosion control since the best substrate for oysters is other oysters so they do great job of anchoring the shore they're planted on.

I once worked a project in the South East where I did monitoring on newly built oyster beds. I liked that gig, shame was temporary and didn't pay poo poo

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

i say swears online posted:

frankly i didn't even know they farmed bluefin, or any other larger ocean fish. i thought we were still just on crawdads and tilapia, since that's all that's around here

also in your first post i thought you were potentially in japan at an illegal sale lol, but you'd have paid ten times the price

hasn't bluefin tuna always been available in the US? I assumed I was just buying what every sushi joint sells

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

a meal cannot be cspam if it contains bourgeois ingredients. keep your fancy nori, your kombucha and your oysters

instead come have a gander at how food is made in the yugoslavian countryside, and discover Baba Bozica’s own Yugoslav style beans

put enough oil in the saucepan
fry a sliced onion in there
fry two diced carrots in there and stir
add a can of prepared white beans, lower the intensity of your heat source and stir and cover
add a diced red bell pepper and stir
add paprika and stir and cover and stir from time to time
it’s ready when the carrots and the pepper can be pierced all the way through with a fork without resistance

eat with bread, or maybe with the ribs of a roasted suckling pig if you must be a carnist

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

twoday posted:

This chart is good advice, though there are some bad oyster fisheries and some shark steaks like spiny dogfish are fine to eat, just never eat the fins.

Also I had left over fresh cranberries from Thanksgiving which I used as a substitute for tamarind in a curry recipe. it worked great, not only does it add a nice floral acidity but it also imparts a nice cheery red colour which I think tops tamarinds grody brown hue.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
So here's the ideas I have so far for C-SPAM IRON CHEF:

1.Post-Guillotine Cuisine: Pick a ruinously expensive dish from the menu of a restaurant in your city and remake it at home as cheaply as possible. Don't forget to mention the original dish's price and the approximate price of your ingredients.

2.Employee Discount: Pick a dish from any TRUMP property's menu and make an edible version of it. Don't forget to mention the original dish's price and the approximate price of your ingredients.

3.Nobody's Called Her Instant Pol Pot Yet: Create the absolute best instant pot/ pressure cooker dish you can. The winning dish is submitted to AOC as the Official Instant Pot Dish of C-SPAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the cspammiest pot dish is your basic communal hot pot for obvious reasons