Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They're gonna make Kong loving massive and it's gonna own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
What I love about how massive, and loving terrifying, Ghidorah is, is that it genuinely makes me want to see Godzilla kick his rear end. It's like 101 pro wrestling booking, the plucky babyface who picks a fight with the nastiest prick in the room to prove what a badass he is.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Waffleman_ posted:

They're gonna make Kong loving massive and it's gonna own.
Godzilla isn't ready for dual boat style.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

I'm so pumped. King of the Monsters is to The Dark Knight as G14 was to Batman Begins

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Kong knows how to fashion weapons as well

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

When Godzilla started running I almost pooped.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

My favorite shot:

"An Alpha to rival Godzilla."
Godzilla: "gently caress you, lady."

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

King Kong throwing the Space Needle like a javelin.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

duz posted:

It's actually going to be a custody battle over the Mothra Larva ala Kramer vs Kramer.

It must still have some remnants of Marty DiBergi's unfilmed Kramer vs. Kramer vs. Godzilla script.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CityMidnightJunky posted:

What I love about how massive, and loving terrifying, Ghidorah is, is that it genuinely makes me want to see Godzilla kick his rear end. It's like 101 pro wrestling booking, the plucky babyface who picks a fight with the nastiest prick in the room to prove what a badass he is.

Yeah I was going to say, every frame of Ghidorah makes him look like a world-ending humanity is screwed existential threat tier monster compared, it's really impressive.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

IMB posted:

how the hell is Kong vs. Godzilla going to live up to this

It will likely be Kong and Goji fighting in the post-apocalyptic wasteland made by this movie.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Smaug3

Liberal Idiot posted:

King Kong throwing the Space Needle like a javelin.

After wielding it like a baseball bat.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

K. Waste posted:

It will likely be Kong and Goji fighting in the post-apocalyptic wasteland made by this movie.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Doesn't have the awe factor of the first trailer but if you want to see giant monsters tear stuff up, this was it. (The first trailer's music+visuals were perfect).

I think we'll have a Burning Godzilla power up. I also think Tyrion Lannister is hedging his bets on Ghidorah winning (which he will win Round 1). The rematch should be pretty epic, though.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I am just stunned by this trailer. I feel like I’m six years old again. This can’t come soon enough!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

IMB posted:

how the hell is Kong vs. Godzilla going to live up to this

they're gonna give Kong a gun

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I still think Godzilla v Kong is going to have like Mecha-Godzilla in it as the ultimate threat that our dudes have to team up to take out after their obligatory battle.

Humans build Mecha-Godzilla after the events of King of the Monsters, it goes nuts when they try to kill big G etc.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

K. Waste posted:

That’s honestly what I hope they do. For once, show a movie having apocalyptic consequences that don’t get reset by the next movie. They’re not planning on making any others after GvK anyway, are they?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I like the moment where they show a shot of Mothra when they say "Which one is here to protect us" and KG when they say "Which one is here to threaten us."

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008

Zore posted:

I still think Godzilla v Kong is going to have like Mecha-Godzilla in it as the ultimate threat that our dudes have to team up to take out after their obligatory battle.

Humans build Mecha-Godzilla after the events of King of the Monsters, it goes nuts when they try to kill big G etc.

drat, I was literally just about to post exactly this. I'm fairly certain they'll do what they do with all versus movies where you have two sympathetic protagonists squaring off - introduce a new, more powerful foe in the third act that requires the original two to team up. My money's on Mecha-Godzilla as well - that would get us basically all the iconic rogues of the Kaiju-verse accounted for in the trilogy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Red Pyramid posted:

drat, I was literally just about to post exactly this. I'm fairly certain they'll do what they do with all versus movies where you have two sympathetic protagonists squaring off - introduce a new, more powerful foe in the third act that requires the original two to team up. My money's on Mecha-Godzilla as well - that would get us basically all the iconic rogues of the Kaiju-verse accounted for in the trilogy.

I doubt it. I think MechaG is just too silly for the Legendary movies.

I could see Godzilla going into meltdown mode, though, forcing Kong to reluctantly bring the guy down.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Love Mothra's new shriek. A very organic and improved version

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Zore posted:

Wingard already stated a while ago that his M.O. for this movie was that it should have a decisive winner, alluding to the fact that in the original movie (or at least the U.S. version) neither side technically lost. They may add a couple beasties here and there, but I'm thinking (hoping) that they go for something a little more straightforward.

Scanning forward, though, the complete clusterfuck after both KotM and GvK would be a great opportunity to reset the geopolitical position on monsters, i.e. don't work with them, they all represent too great a global threat, instead... well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFIxaQ-iOV0

that's where you whip out Mechagoji

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

K. Waste posted:

Wingard already stated a while ago that his M.O. for this movie was that it should have a decisive winner, alluding to the fact that in the original movie (or at least the U.S. version) neither side technically lost. They may add a couple beasties here and there, but I'm thinking (hoping) that they go for something a little more straightforward.

Scanning forward, though, the complete clusterfuck after both KotM and GvK would be a great opportunity to reset the geopolitical position on monsters, i.e. don't work with them, they all represent too great a global threat, instead... well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFIxaQ-iOV0

that's where you whip out Mechagoji

I think the battle between Kong and Godzilla will have a decisive winner in Act 2. Godzilla will throw Kong off a cliff or something and into the ocean and it'll be clear Big G won. Then, when the chips are down in Act 3 and Godzilla is about to die out of nowhere Kong comes in with the steel chair skyscraper and saves his rear end for the teamup.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Absolute. Units.

Like a religious painting

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Every shot of the monsters is loving beautiful. Ghidorah just oozes malice.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

I thought I heard King Ghidorah scream but didnt sound familiar. The rest is just, ugh, I love it.

How does the Earth even recover from this?

I imagine that some corporations will get destroyed during these events so it'd actually be a net gain for humanity.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I imagine that some corporations will get destroyed during these events so it'd actually be a net gain for humanity.

What do you have against Dunkin' Donuts?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Cythereal posted:

I doubt it. I think MechaG is just too silly for the Legendary movies.

I could see Godzilla going into meltdown mode, though, forcing Kong to reluctantly bring the guy down.

I think that makes the most sense and gives a good direction. They need to power up Godzilla but he starts to go critical and they have to recruit Kong and help him to prevent catastrophe and it is tragic.

Secret hope is when all looks lost Kong shows up to team with Godzilla to take out Gidorah and Kong aims Mothra like a sniper rifle for a last gently caress you laser light headshot. And then Godzilla vs Kong is them fighting over the stolen kill.

I am so drat hype for this movie, my #1 of 2019. It looks phenomenal and I think the marketing is just perfect.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Davros1 posted:

When I saw that, I could only think "They're just Dunkin' now! They took too long!"

Violator
May 15, 2003

So if there really are only four films in this universe, and Godzilla already had the biggest baddest finishing move I've ever seen in G'14, I'm not sure what they're going to do in this. Will they actually kill any of the classic monsters? Like will Godzilla have to kill each head of KG one at a time? Break the first one's neck, then rip the other head open like the original Kong, and then in the climax a diamond cutter off a cliff onto a nuclear plant to finish the third one and the entire body off?

Edit: I would also accept a Lawler piledriver or a Steiner Screwdriver off a building on the third head.

Edit2: poo poo, with three heads you could do a piledriver and a double Evenflow DDT on the other two heads! There has to have been a Japanese promotion that's done this?!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

One long take of Mothra, Rodan, and Godzilla just tearing Ghidorah apart piece by piece.

And then the sky opens up and Gigan and Space Godzilla arrive.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

One long take of Mothra, Rodan, and Godzilla just tearing Ghidorah apart piece by piece.

And then the sky opens up and Gigan and Space Godzilla arrive.

I would kill for an updated Gigan.

I'd also settle for Megalon but there's no universe where that happens.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I would kill for an updated Gigan.

I'd also settle for Megalon but there's no universe where that happens.

Maybe if he jobs to a popular kaiju in a montage.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Davros1 posted:

They're inferior to Krispy Kreme in every way.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Mantis42 posted:

Bingo 100%

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And with this metric, we can deduce that Power Rangers (2017) is a better movie than Godzilla: King of the Monsters.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Who's to say Godzilla doesn't go into meltdown mode to kill KG and gets severely weakened/dies in the process? The "Godzilla" that Kong fights may be a juvenile, too.

MechaG coming in for KvG would make sense, though. The impetus would be virtually identical to the backstory of Pacific Rim: monsters came up out of nowhere and humanity has to unite to defend itself. Their Jaeger is MechaG or hell, Jet Jaguar. If KG does have an alien origin, MechaG might not even be the true threat - here comes Gigan!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FooF posted:

MechaG coming in for KvG would make sense, though. The impetus would be virtually identical to the backstory of Pacific Rim: monsters came up out of nowhere and humanity has to unite to defend itself. Their Jaeger is MechaG or hell, Jet Jaguar. If KG does have an alien origin, MechaG might not even be the true threat - here comes Gigan!

Nah, Legendary's been treating the franchise with a remarkable degree of grounding - it's not remotely grounded, but it's portrayed like it is. MechaG I think is way too far into "this is a live action anime" territory than Legendary's been going to date. If KvG is going to be about teaming up for a bigger threat, I think my money would be on Destroyer, or possibly Biollante.

For the same reason, I doubt we're going to see another explicitly alien kaiju. I've been thinking for a long while that KotM is going to make Ghidorah's alien origin a big reveal - and probably that he's sentient, as the ARG has been hinting. The other kaiju may be intelligent, but I think it's going to be a dreadful revelation that Ghidorah has human-level intellect and is of alien origin.

And if you do that, you don't then make it another alien in the next movie if you have sense. Keep Ghidorah unique in origin and threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Mantis42 posted:

Krispy Kreme is one of the more lesser donuts I've eaten. It's not even a donut and the glaze is terrible that feels like gunk and evokes a sugar paste/syrup. Dunkin is much better by comparison cause it has better texture and depth and flavor. Still not as good as a real bakery that knows what its doing and the more creative ones that allow you to customize it like a chipotle line after it falls fresh from the oil.