Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Any word on what game engine this uses? It looks like Netimmerse/Gamebryo/Creation from Bethesda. That's not a complaint, I actually love that goofy janky engine. But the way it moves and such looks a lot like Fallout 4, to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

chaosapiant posted:

Any word on what game engine this uses? It looks like Netimmerse/Gamebryo/Creation from Bethesda. That's not a complaint, I actually love that goofy janky engine. But the way it moves and such looks a lot like Fallout 4, to me.

Unreal 4

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

That was my second guess. I'm just glad it's not Unity.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
The animations are real nice - clear and well-timed without being weightless or overly exaggerated. There's some velocity and drama in the attack animations. Gamebryo games don't have such good anims and physics.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

Jerusalem posted:

I have been so busy this year that I'm still to get around to really playing POE II (which really irks me, I played the hell out of the first and loved the little I've played of 2 so far) but now I REALLY have a deadline to meet if this beautiful thing is coming out in 2019 :stwoon:

yeah same, having a kid seriously limits playing rpg time, but I loved the Deadfire demo and the 20% of it I've seen so far, and this looks A+

also iggy pop

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Outer Worlds looks a lot more like Dishonored than it looks like Borderlines

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
ok i wasn't feeling the 1890s snake oil aesthetic on the pre-preview ads but i'll admit this is pretty baller and i'll probably buy it

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Outer Worlds looks a lot more like Dishonored than it looks like Borderlines

If they pull off the gameplay at roughly Arkane level I'll be very happy

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
Space westerns rarely go into depth about the whole company town hell of the actual west. If anyone can do this justice it'll be Obs. Now if I can make my char look like Woodie Guthrie...

and nth-ing the Iggy Pop

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

andrew smash posted:

I just got around to looking at enchantment and realized how much it costs - any tips for making money aside from stealing everything and selling it all? I still haven't left neketaka, I'm just tooling around doing side quests.

When you start looting a lot of Exceptional items your bank will reflect that. Also if you successfully board ships.

chaosapiant posted:

That was my second guess. I'm just glad it's not Unity.

I'm glader it's not Embryo, to be honest.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Furism posted:

When you start looting a lot of Exceptional items your bank will reflect that. Also if you successfully board ships.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if Berath's challenge still permanently kills non-controlled party members if they go down during boarding battles?

When I played a couple of months ago you'd just lose half your benched party members during boardings and there was absolutely nothing you could do about it. It made ship-to-ship combat the only possible option and had the knock on effect of being a huge tax between less money for loot, and more money on ship upgrades.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Are there any places that I want to bring the sidekicks to besides the obvious places like the DLCs? I hear Rekke has a few interactions? I'm mostly rolling with my boy Eder, Aloth, and Serafen. I'll obviously bring Tekehu along for shadow under neketaka, etc. but I just wanna make sure I ain't missing other obvious stuff like that.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Ydwin has, I think, some lines in the Reef where there's a bunch of undead. Overall, though, the DLC is your best bet for sidekick interaction.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Ydwin has, I think, some lines in the Reef where there's a bunch of undead. Overall, though, the DLC is your best bet for sidekick interaction.

Noted, thanks. The only staple in my party is Eder because who else is gonna comment on cute animals? Everyone else will hopefully have some time to shine without it impacting the overall exp gain too much. Shame Mirke doesn't have anything.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

poe1 really does not like it when you add npcs to your party

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Wow. My triple crown run ended by getting buried alive in sand in a scripted sequence. Wow. :bang:

feels bad

Scorchy fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 8, 2018

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

holy gently caress i want Space New Vegas so bad it hurts. pretend i put FRYTAKEMYMONEY.gif here because that's a day one pre-order for me

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

There's an Outer Worlds thread BTW https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876422

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The Tyranny thread seems dead so I thought I'd ask here: any tips for starting out? I'm doing an unarmed/frost magic character right now since the frozen debuff seems to mesh well with unarmed.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
it's been a long time since i played it, but i beat it on POTD with an unarmed character. It's honestly pretty easy. The basic tip I remember is: no matter what else you want any given character to do, pump the magic skill (i think it's lore?) every level because everybody can cast spells and you want everybody to be good at it.

Unarmed is really good because it can proc certain on-hit effects really quickly. The one you really want to keep an eye out for is "volcanic weapon" (shows up maybe halfway through the game i think); when you get it, experiment with it but make the strongest version of it you can and have your best spellcaster drop it on your PC at the start of every fight and watch as they belch out huge AOE every time they land a punch.

Edit: story mild spoilers: I found the two main factions to be equally gross and didn't want to work for either of them. There is an obvious path you can take where you tell them both to get bent in act 1, but a less obvious path also exists where you can work with the rebels instead and I recommend you look up how to do it if that's something you don't want to miss.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 10, 2018

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Nasgate posted:

The Tyranny thread seems dead so I thought I'd ask here: any tips for starting out? I'm doing an unarmed/frost magic character right now since the frozen debuff seems to mesh well with unarmed.

I really enjoyed Tyranny. I hope Paradox/Obsidian don’t let that franchise die.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Nasgate posted:

Some random tips.

PotD difficulty is only really difficult around act 1. This means you shouldn't stockpile consumables for the future, use them now and use them often.

Look up a trait that allows you only use Parry (or was it Dodge) for both ranged and melee. Decide if you want to grab it and, if yes, turn off skill progression for the other skill.

Everyone is a caster even if they don't look like a caster. Bad caster with a low skill for a spell will randomly hit or miss. But buffs and heals - I guess they never miss, huh? And the effect is percentage-based. So even that beastwoman will be useful as a healer. Get everyone a heal spell and use it.

Initiate combat on your terms. You can usually spot enemies from far away and 2 of your starting characters (Verse and Lantry) have ranged attack. You can teach Barrick something too, maybe slow or stun to make the first few seconds of a fight more manageable.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

I really enjoyed Tyranny. I hope Paradox/Obsidian don’t let that franchise die.

I don't know how Obsidian could work on the IP these days that they're owned by Microsoft (well, technically paperwork is still being compiled, but I doubt they can start a project with another publisher now), so unless Microsoft buys the IP, I'm guessing Paradox will have to develop a new Tyranny with another partner or internally (Harebrained Schemes is probably their best-suited studio, given their Shadowrun pedigree).

I'd be a little bummed if a Tyranny sequel was developed by a different team, but if the team had a proven track record, I'd be very willing to give it a shot.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
So far, I've been spoiled by Deadfire. The ai is garbage in Tyranny and I don't know how to turn it off.

Edit: actually I'm pretty sure the ai is worse than pillars one. At least I don't remember Eder overriding my input to use knockdown and electing to instead tank 3 disengagement attacks to perform a single basic melee strike on a full health enemy 10 meters away.

Nasgate fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 10, 2018

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
So I think like a month before Pillars 2 came out I made a post here talking how I was going to replay the game to game to get a perfect playthrough for pillars 2. Well all this time later and I've still not finished it and at this point I'm ready to give up. Are there any choices in Pillars 1 that carry over to Pillars 2 that are not in the choice maker. Even if it's the most minor of things.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Your relationship to Iovarra.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Is there a timeline somewhere that shows the main story-related events in poe1 took place? Like how long before the saints war was the inquisition? The one on the wiki seems to be much broader in scope.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I generally assume the in-game calendar(PoE1 takes place in the year 2823) is roughly as old as the gods themselves, though Deadfire has a few lines that bring the creation of the gods closer to the Christian Chlassic of two thousand years ago. The Inquisition was right after the creation of tje gods, since Iovara mentions talking with actual Engwithan missionaries

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Oh yeah, that makes sense. It was weird to have a character suddenly talking about Engwithans walking around in the world when they were previously an ancient precursor race. I guess that was the hint.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The official wiki for Pillars has a timeline, btw (obviously it includes spoilers, but if you're looking for something like this, you probably don't care): https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Timeline

EDIT: Actually, now that I notice, the creation of the Gods is conspicuously absent, probably because the timeline given in game is vague, or maybe because they wanted to avoid spoilers for new players.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 11, 2018

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Anni Iroccio: The New Year

While only 150 years old (and of Vailian origin as well), the Iroccian calendar is currently used throughout most of the Dyrwood and the surrounding areas. While the Dyrwood was using the Aedyran calendar until recently, they gave it up in favor of the Iroccian calendar. The transition was easy to get people to make because the Aedyran calendar was hopelessly inaccurate.

Iroccio calculated that it takes the planet approximately 334 days to orbit the sun, so he took the nine months from the Aedyran calendar and broke them into sixteen months of twenty days each, with each season consisting of four months. The length of each month corresponds to how long it takes Belafa (one of our moons) to circle the planet. At the end of each season, three days - not part of either season - are set aside for people to celebrate the transitions. Lastly, the final two days of the year - New Year and Mid Year - are used to observe the beginning and midpoint of the year.

To prevent any confusion for the transition from the old calendar to the new, Iroccio kept the year the same. So, although the calendar has only been in existence for 150 years, it is currently 2823 AI (Anni Iroccio).

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Forgotten Sanctum trailer is up.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Looks creepy!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

take all my money!

oh wait I already bought it

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

https://twitter.com/AlecAFrey/status/1072928297846067200?s=20

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/AlecAFrey/status/1072928297846067200

:stonk:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

pmchem posted:

take all my money!

oh wait I already bought it

thank god for season pass :)

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'm getting a refund, I did not agree to this!

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Oh god that animation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Anyone who sacrifices a pet is a horrible person.