Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

yes duh apple thinks they can make more money by not plundering your data and keeping anyone else from plundering it

lol at anyone who has a relationship with a corporation that is anything other than transactional cause guess what

apple doesn't like you back

i don't think anyone is saying apple is not plundering data out of the goodness of their heart though

your logic is: well they're not robbing me only because they don't think it's profitable so i may as well just go with the company that is robbing me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

it's very strange that phones from 2011 have unimpressive benchmark numbers compared to a phone from 2016

don’t worry, android phones from 2016 are also unimpressive

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I'm sure that's really noticeable when using the phone.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
sure, when your use case for the phone is "running benchmarks to show how fast my phone is", that's why batterygate/lifecycle management was such a scandal

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Lambert posted:

considering how often i hear people complain about how their pixel/galaxy/whatever got slow as dogshit after like eight months while my two-year-old iphone 7 is still fast as gently caress, yeah it does seem noticeable

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I hear people complaining about their Iphones getting slow way more often. It's such a big issue, the press made a huge amount of hay of theories about intentional slowdown with new Ios versions. Also, the whole batterygate thing that was just mentioned.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

more notable i think is that there’s basically no discernible difference in performance between my 7 plus and my xr despite the a12 being ostensibly like twice as fast or whatever. at least the cars in grid look really nice

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Plank Walker posted:

i don't think anyone is saying apple is not plundering data out of the goodness of their heart though

your logic is: well they're not robbing me only because they don't think it's profitable so i may as well just go with the company that is robbing me

what no I use Apple product

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

what no I use Apple product

yeah i misread your post

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
apple cares about privacy because they figure it will be a key point of differentiation between themselves and android, especially as they become heavily involved in medical devices

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Lambert posted:

I hear people complaining about their Iphones getting slow way more often. It's such a big issue, the press made a huge amount of hay of theories about intentional slowdown with new Ios versions. Also, the whole batterygate thing that was just mentioned.

most of the time it's not the battery, it's ios being dogshit

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

also, a lot of cases of "apple is throttling my phone because the battery is old" :argh: is actually because ios poo poo itself internally and the battery is fine

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I think the moon is made of cheese.

[UPDATE: Apparently people have been to the moon and only found rocks. Apollo missions even apparently brought some back, and they're in museums and so forth. I don't think this means the Moon is entirely made of rocks, and frankly rocks are boring, and there could still be a lot of cheese there too.]

Linguica fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 11, 2018

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Linguica posted:

[UPDATE: Apparently people have been to the moon and only found rocks. Apollo missions even apparently brought some back, and they're in museums and so forth. I don't think this means the Moon is entirely made of rocks, and frankly rocks are boring, and there could still be a lot of cheese there too.]

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
nasa no longer goes to the moon. so i think it's safe to assume that it's now made of cheese, even if it wasn't before

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

FMguru posted:

apple cares about privacy because they figure it will be a key point of differentiation between themselves and android, especially as they become heavily involved in medical devices

you mean "'medical' 'devices'" since you're not supposed to use the apple watch monitoring function if you actually have that heart condition it's "monitoring"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Plank Walker posted:

nasa no longer goes to the moon. so i think it's safe to assume that it's now made of cheese, even if it wasn't before

famous nba players are going on the record saying they don't believe nasa went to the moon and that the earth is flat

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Chris Knight posted:

famous nba players are going on the record saying they don't believe nasa went to the moon and that the earth is flat

can’t they see the curvature of earth?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Stymie posted:

apple being just as interested in your data as your money isn't exactly an outlandish concept

data is probably more valuable because i bet companies make all kinds of outlandish claims about the potential future value of their data so as to puff up their balance books

it would absolutely not surprise me if we one day had a financial meltdown based on overinflated valuation of collected data

Weedle
May 31, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

can’t they see the curvature of earth?

probably not, most nba players live in major metropolitan areas

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Weedle posted:

probably not, most nba players live in major metropolitan areas

yeah, but i'm pretty sure they've all been on airplanes at some point, it kinda comes with the job

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if it ever came out that apple was marketing user data their stock would like double instantly

Linguica posted:

if you left cheese in space for 8 billion years wouldn't it turn into rocks?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

JawnV6 posted:

you know how audiophiles of a certain age will crank up a system to listen for the clip? and get all upset when things scale up clean?

wonder if we're making another cadre of kids who prefer the precise garbling of a 128kb/s stream

my hope for the youths is bass, once you hear it it's hard to go back to a beats pill

the vinyl buying trend is hilarious, though, ~50% of record buyers never actually play them. it's like a $20 mini-poster for a band you like

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Chris Knight posted:

i hope some Houston Rockets players are on the fake moon landing bandwagon, this would be good

Weedle
May 31, 2006

infernal machines posted:

yeah, but i'm pretty sure they've all been on airplanes at some point, it kinda comes with the job

passenger planes generally do not fly high enough for the curvature of the horizon to be clearly visible, even if you luck into flying on a cloudless day

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Weedle posted:

passenger planes generally do not fly high enough for the curvature of the horizon to be clearly visible, even if you luck into flying on a cloudless day

flat earth people claim it's "atmospheric lensing" or that the earth is a segment of a dome

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

qirex posted:

if it ever came out that apple was marketing user data their stock would like double instantly

4 billion

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

qirex posted:

in space, no one can hear you cream

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

flat earth people claim it's "atmospheric lensing" or that the earth is a segment of a dome

How do they explain flights from the east coast of Australia to the west coast of America?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dodoman posted:

How do they explain flights from the east coast of Australia to the west coast of America?
imagine if antarctica was a big ring

surprisingly these guys don't have the best grasp of physics or even basic geometry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nNUEU8gnf4

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

did my joke about nba players being tall really whooshed this hard

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

did my joke about nba players being tall really whooshed this hard

it was over our heads

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

imagine if antarctica was a big ring

surprisingly these guys don't have the best grasp of physics or even basic geometry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nNUEU8gnf4

:eyepoop:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Lambert posted:

true no processor could make that java shitheap run well

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i like the "theory" that earth isn't flat, but the parts we know are a small oasis on a large sphere and the rest is covered in snow and ice

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

q: how do you force garbage collection on an android phone

a: rm -rf /

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
more like

fastboot erase userdata

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

have any android oems implemented device encryption in a sensible way yet or does a wipe still require overwriting the entire storage volume?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

q: how do you force garbage collection on an android phone

a: rm -rf /

so you’re saying the hardware has value?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

qirex posted:

my hope for the youths is bass, once you hear it it's hard to go back to a beats pill

the vinyl buying trend is hilarious, though, ~50% of record buyers never actually play them. it's like a $20 mini-poster for a band you like

the only reason i buy any music merch is to give money to the band and have something to display that shows off what bands i like. decorative vinyl isn’t really my thing but it achieves both of those goals and i don’t see anything inherently wrong with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Soricidus posted:

so you’re saying the hardware has value?

yeah you could probably install WebOS on there