Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

I never understood why everyone is so hot on Newegg. Their prices aren't anything special, their customer service sucks, they fight returns every step of the way, and you have to do all sorts of bullshit just to use a credit card on their site. I sometimes use Newegg to search for stuff, but then I just buy it from Amazon because of fast free shipping and returns.

people who use newegg in this day and age are people who don't realize they're now their grandparents still using an aol.com email address

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
In Canada, Amazon is quite expensive usually. I always check everyone (amazon, newegg, canada computers, pc partpicker) when looking for an item, but newegg more often than not has similar prices with Canada Computers. Amazon is rarely worth it, usually only when the thing I want is not available anywhere else.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

evilweasel posted:

people who use newegg in this day and age are people who don't realize they're now their grandparents still using an aol.com email address

I'll give my money to anybody before I give it to Jeff Bezos

mewse
May 2, 2006

Volguus posted:

In Canada, Amazon is quite expensive usually. I always check everyone (amazon, newegg, canada computers, pc partpicker) when looking for an item, but newegg more often than not has similar prices with Canada Computers. Amazon is rarely worth it, usually only when the thing I want is not available anywhere else.

Yeah amazon canada hasn't caught up yet. I just priced out an xbox controller and a new raspberry pi and both were cheapest with newegg.ca

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah newegg.ca still manages to be better and have better deals than amazon.ca

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
One trick that I pulled a few times, was to take advantage of Best Buy's price matching policy (check with them if they do it for the thing that you want). Get the item cheaper than the sticker price at newegg plus get it right then and there in the store and pay no shipping as well. Doesn't work all the time but it's nice when it does.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

evilweasel posted:

You can't find anything on Amazon with the awful product names, and they carry like 1/3rd of the stuff that Newegg does first-hand (if you order off the "Marketplace" on either site ur a sucker). Stuff is often way overpriced too.

I would happily use a competitor if someone could beat em on price, but more often than not nobody can. My orders are probably 40% amazon 40% newegg 20% angerily getting in my car and going to Frys/Microcenter and then not buying anything because those places are a loving hellhole.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

B&h is decent

mystes
May 31, 2006

Volguus posted:

One trick that I pulled a few times, was to take advantage of Best Buy's price matching policy (check with them if they do it for the thing that you want). Get the item cheaper than the sticker price at newegg plus get it right then and there in the store and pay no shipping as well. Doesn't work all the time but it's nice when it does.
Don't you have to use coupon codes at newegg to get decent prices usually? Will Best Buy match the prices in that case?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

B-Mac posted:

I use PayPal with Newegg and most other online sites, but if I stopped using my CC with any site or store that got hit with an attack like this I wouldn’t be able to shop anywhere. Besides I’ve gotten enough letters from the DoD saying some moron had their laptop stolen from their car with millions of veterans personal data on it. Plus companies like google and Facebook selling your personal data and then security breaches like with equifax. Stolen CC info is way down on my list, dispute the charges and cancel the card.

Keeping fighting that good fight against Newegg. Better add Walmart, target, eBay, Best Buy and a whole host of banking and healthcare companies to your do not use list.

So much this, just call the company once a year and say you lost your card if you are paranoid.

Newegg otherwise is ok, newegg ebay typically has better deals due to coupons than the main storefront.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Laslow posted:

Newegg was good before Amazon was so dominant. They’re running on inertia right now.

They even get dunked on by Microcenter, a physical store in 2018. Think about that for a minute.

That's because "dunk on NewEgg" is a core tenet of Micro Center's business model.

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
I just bought a 9900k, Ram, Mobo and cooler off of Newegg because no tax, they had a combo deal on the CPU/Mobo, and it was all in stock.

Saved me about $60 in tax and while I technically could have abated some of that on Amazon with the prime card I wouldn't have been able to get my things at the same time because stock issues we're poor and many of the items were more expensive at the time.

Newegg still has a place in my heart because none of my stuff was broken and I haven't needed to return anything.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I like newegg because they still have good prices, often better than amazon considerably. Plus if you look around you can find nice things that they throw in like free ram or a power supply. Also for some niche things they're literally the only supplier. Once in a while I'll find something less expensive at another reputable store and pick it up there instead, but signing up for new sites is usually kind of a hassle.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

mystes posted:

Don't you have to use coupon codes at newegg to get decent prices usually? Will Best Buy match the prices in that case?

I don't know if Best Buy matches a coupon price, but usually newegg price is better than BB. Of course, like with anything, there are exceptions, but unless there's some crazy sale, BB is more expensive.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I still love Newegg for that $200 6800 Ultra I got open box. It had a water block on it, so someone had to have ordered it by mistake and didn’t realize you could just slap a fan on it.

Their close out deals suck now. The prices need to be pretty insane for me to take that kind of risk.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't like Newegg's boxes. gently caress you review this, you don't think most people have other jobs? Pay me and I'll review something. Never had an issue with their prices or returns though. Amazon has better a better return experience, for me, but Newegg has accepted everything I've needed to return. Amazon has done crazy things like accepting returns before I had a chance to send back items, but I think it's because I did the inventory for my room mate's company though my Amazon account so there might have been a flag saying it bought a lot and give it more benefits.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Laslow posted:

I still love Newegg for that $200 6800 Ultra I got open box. It had a water block on it, so someone had to have ordered it by mistake and didn’t realize you could just slap a fan on it.

Their close out deals suck now. The prices need to be pretty insane for me to take that kind of risk.

I looked up old reviews of that card to see what the original retail price was ($400 apparently, though at least one watercooled model was $600) and this comment on Anadtech's review made me laugh:

quote:

deathwalker - Thursday, April 15, 2004 - link
Oh my god...$400 and u cant even put it in 75% of the systems on peoples desks today without buying a new power supply at a cost of nearly another $100 for a quailty PS...i think this just about has to push all the fanatics out there over the limit...no way in hell your going to notice the perform improvement in a multiplayer game over a network..when does this maddness stop.

:allears: Oh you sweet summer child. Note that Nvidia recommended a 480 watt PSU.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 11, 2018

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Mr.Radar posted:

:allears: Oh you sweet summer child. Note that Nvidia recommended a 480 watt PSU.

I'd love to see that person's reviews like a year later or so when the 8800 GTX came out. Iirc those started at like $750 back then and was like the first time a consumer type graphics card ever reached those kinds of prices.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
8800gt to this day is the most gorgeous piece of hardware I have ever laid eyes upon

You had to be there, in its day it was astounding

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
But... female on blower :confused:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

8800gt to this day is the most gorgeous piece of hardware I have ever laid eyes upon

You had to be there, in its day it was astounding

I really liked the leadtek ti4400, and fitting a 120mm fan to the giant heatsink.

That was a good card for the time.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

DonkeyHotay posted:

It's because the alternative used to be Tigerdirect

TD thankfully didn't charge sales tax in the US though, and even though they looked like Pets.com for their entire life, I would gladly use them since it meant I wasn't paying $30 extra for my GPU's of yore

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

I looked up old reviews of that card to see what the original retail price was ($400 apparently, though at least one watercooled model was $600) and this comment on Anadtech's review made me laugh:

It was in fact the $600 BFG watercooled model.

It also had a requirement listed on the box for a 680 watt PSU. Worked fine on my 500W Antec. But I wouldn’t trust a Sparkle or COOLMAX at that rating.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Today was "Intel Architecture Day" and I guess it wasn't just a Skylake rehash announcement on 14nm++++++++++++++++, the embargo lifts tomorrow and people are claiming there's some good info. For now there's just this. Check out that cooling solution.

https://twitter.com/witeken/status/1072569522513682432?s=19

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 12, 2018

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Laslow posted:

It was in fact the $600 BFG watercooled model.

It also had a requirement listed on the box for a 680 watt PSU. Worked fine on my 500W Antec. But I wouldn’t trust a Sparkle or COOLMAX at that rating.

Sparkle used to be a good brand, are they no longer? Are only certain models good? I used to have 2 of them that lasted for about 10 years that I only got rid of because they were so old they were still biased to supplying most of their power on the 5V rail and not the 12V as in modern designs.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

Today was "Intel Architecture Day" and I guess it wasn't just a Skylake rehash announcement on 14nm++++++++++++++++, the embargo lifts tomorrow and people are claiming there's some good info. For now there's just this. Check out that cooling solution.

I’ve seen some tweets from the usual suspects but no leaks yet; 9AM EST. Heterogeneous compute for all?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Bestbuy is pretty good, too. I usually do a three-way price check between Newegg, Amazon, and Bestbuy for PC components.

As for why people still use Newegg, for a lot of us, Newegg was the Amazon of PC parts when we were first getting in to this as a hobby. Amazon most certainly did not sell CPUs and ATX cases back in 2002. Old habits die hard, but oftentimes Newegg still has a better price than their competitors, and their stock is considerably more robust. And back in the day, they had really good customer service. They have slid since then, and they are now coasting on reputation. Their return policy has gone to poo poo on certain items, and they have sunk to selling hard to find items in lovely bundles. Their search function is really good, though. It's much better than any of the other big competitors.

As for credit card usage being a pain on their website, the only issue I've had is when I've shipped something to an address that's different than my billing address. This is a policy they have (had? I'm not sure if they still do this) to prevent fraud, and honestly it isn't that big of an issue to call my bank when I'm ordering hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of computer parts to authorize the transaction. Their shipping speed isn't great, but most of their stuff still ships for free, and the speed isn't any worse than Best Buy's free shipping or Amazon without Prime. poo poo, even Prime has slipped, and if you want to get the most out of your membership, you need to contact customer service every time something arrives after two days (which is often) and hope they extend your membership in return. And that's if you're lucky and the part you want is sold through them or another authorized Prime seller.

Regarding the security breach that happened a couple months back, if you think other big companies are immune to this, you are delusional. The potential to have your data stolen is baked into the convenience of using a credit card, and security breaches at merchants both online and off have become so common they're barley worth mentioning. If Newegg itself were stealing their customer's information and selling it, that'd be one thing, but a breach is just another day on the internet.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

craig588 posted:

Sparkle used to be a good brand, are they no longer? Are only certain models good? I used to have 2 of them that lasted for about 10 years that I only got rid of because they were so old they were still biased to supplying most of their power on the 5V rail and not the 12V as in modern designs.
My bad, you seem to be right. Pretend I said Diablotek instead. My mental shortlist on poo poo power supplies is definitely inaccurate.

I had a bundled 400W Diablotek that couldn't get a Celeron E1200 with onboard graphics to even get through the initial Windows installation on a bottom of the dumpster budget build back in the day. I think that CPU was a 60 watt chip, lol. That fucker did OC to 3GHz when it had proper power though. A $30 Wolfdale CPU that performed like the $200 model. Intel won't let that kind of poo poo fly these days!

e: on the topic of old Intel crap, it amused me to no end that a $50 Netburst Pentium D 805 I got for my wife went toe to toe with my expensive 1.8GHz Opteron, I only had to OC it to over twice its clock rate at 4GHz to accomplish that. Rest in piss, Netburst!

Laslow fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Dec 12, 2018

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Newegg is nowhere near the level of idiocy that was revealed at NCIX, as after they went bankrupt their systems were being offered for sale with all customer data still on it completely unprotected.

Rest in piss, NCIX. You were terrible yet still less bad than your contemporaries in the YVR area (ATIC lol)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

The last time I ordered from Newegg (2017 I think) it was tax free in WA which is a cool 10% savings over Amazon. Add a little bit of nostalgia and not needing stuff in a rush and I generally still head there first.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

Was that the same event where Raja and others talked about their GPU efforts?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Uncharacteristically for Intel, they unveiled a ton of stuff.

Next family is indeed being called Sunny Cove, but it appears they are switching up how they do codenames and that this isn't a specific part name (like Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake etc). In fact, it sounds like the old codenames (Ice Lake, Cooper Lake, etc) are still around, just under the Sunny Cove umbrella. Guess that kinda makes more sense anyway, just like people have taken to calling everything Skylake-family recently anyway.

Sunny Cove products will be 10nm and be a new ISA, with a wider front and back end, different execution design, and changed caches. Due 2019.

Intel also talked about their new 3d chip stacking technology using an evolution of EMIB, going to a "hybrid" x86 design, their graphics, and like a million other things. https://www.anandtech.com/show/13699/intel-architecture-day-2018-core-future-hybrid-x86

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Laslow posted:

e: on the topic of old Intel crap, it amused me to no end that a $50 Netburst Pentium D 805 I got for my wife went toe to toe with my expensive 1.8GHz Opteron, I only had to OC it to over twice its clock rate at 4GHz to accomplish that. Rest in piss, Netburst!

I followed the Anandtech route of replacing my Northwood P4 3GHz with a socket adapter and a Pentium M clocked at 2.56. Even with the P4 overclocked to 3.45... well, you can look at the chart to see how it goes. I confirmed a couple years ago that the Pentium M was fast enough to run Skyrim and WoW: Legion (not well, but playable) with an AGP Radeon 4650 and 4GB of DDR-400.

Re: new stuff in the article above, the 1 Core core + 4 Atom cores chip seems really really cool. I'd buy a netbook based on that if it performs like I think it will.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 12, 2018

eames
May 9, 2009

Eletriarnation posted:

Re: new stuff in the article above, the 1 Core core + 4 Atom cores chip seems really really cool. I'd buy a netbook based on that if it performs like I think it will.

I agree that this sounds really useful for devices that currently run Atom chips (Netbooks, NAS appliances, Firewalls). Many of these devices would benefit greatly from one fast core for the main application and four Atom cores for multithreaded background tasks. I just wonder how the scheduling will work, though it doesn't seem to be a problem in the ARM world.

e: actually it sounds like the perfect CPU for the next Surface Go and I feel like Microsoft might be one of the few OEMs that could get such custom silicon on request.

eames fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 12, 2018

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Here in Sweden you can just compare prices with a search engine, is that not a thing in America? Just buy from who's cheapest and has it in stock lol

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Disappointed that part of their GPU strategy wasn't focusing on the 2D / basic 3D graphics (non-gaming) for IGPs and making their drivers less dogshit. Instead, we get discrete graphics :downs:

The Foveros interposing tech is cool; I wonder how it stacks up against the stacking tech that Samsung / TSMC (Xilinx/etc) have been doing.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

movax posted:

Disappointed that part of their GPU strategy wasn't focusing on the 2D / basic 3D graphics (non-gaming) for IGPs and making their drivers less dogshit. Instead, we get discrete graphics :downs:

They actually are working on a major rewrite of their graphics driver... on Linux.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 12, 2018

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

AEMINAL posted:

Here in Sweden you can just compare prices with a search engine, is that not a thing in America? Just buy from who's cheapest and has it in stock lol

Search engines usually don't handle adjusting prices for coupon codes. Works fine for comparing regular pricing though!

mystes
May 31, 2006

AEMINAL posted:

Google shopping used to do this well when they still had actual competition and it actually scraped data rather than just being a giant ad. I think before that there were other sites that did it as well, but google killed them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

For computer parts you can use PCPartsPicker which scrapes all the major web stores that sell them, but yeah I don't think there's any generic price comparison services anymore.