Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Chip McFuck posted:

The company I work for rarely buys the employees lunch (which is fine, whatever), but I wish HR would pay attention to the dietary restrictions we registered when they do order something. There are a couple vegetarians and I'm lactose intolerant, so no, we would rather not eat these triple meat pizzas that you order every single time.

But Donnie over there doesn't LIKE vegetables!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I understand that I am not owed your time, I understand that planning your day can be hard and that most of us have dozens of errands to run. But if you say you are going to be there and it turns out you cannot for whatever reason (Not feeling like it, change of plans, forgot something), then take loving 15 seconds out of your day to inform me! It is ok to say no to something, just let me know so I don't have to waste my time any further! I think it is rude as hell.

Midig has a new favorite as of 21:05 on Dec 10, 2018

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Trying to find a good answer to any type of tech support type question on google. Most replies to any question are completely worthless. For example. I started playing Sim City 4 again. I saw in one of the menus that you can add custom music to the library. (Cool! I never knew this or remembered it!) I add some songs to the right folder, but in the game, the checkbox for custom tunes is still greyed out. There were a butt-ton of replies to this question saying which folder to put music in followed by checking the box.

Q: The box is still greyed out. What do I do?
A: Check the box :downsgun:

Me: OHFERGODSAKES!!!

This is worse than saying "I don't know" and I still don't know why that box is greyed out!!! :argh:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The other type of response is one of my long-held peeves where they flood you with questions about your OS, if your firewall is on, how old is your PC, etc. It looks like they are helping, but they aren't. They won't do anything with that information 9 times out of 10. You'll tell them, they either never respond again or say "hmm that's weird, let me check on some things" (10 years go by, no posts, someone marks it as resolved and it remains the top google result for that problem forever).

e: also people who say "nevermind, i fixed it! *closes thread without saying how*".

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

e: also people who say "nevermind, i fixed it! *closes thread without saying how*".

Yes, these people can be toasted over a low flame.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
Or when they post screenshots, but no written explanations, and the screenshots have vanished from the online ether. gently caress you, Photobucket/Imageshack/etc!

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

The other type of response is one of my long-held peeves where they flood you with questions about your OS, if your firewall is on, how old is your PC, etc. It looks like they are helping, but they aren't. They won't do anything with that information 9 times out of 10. You'll tell them, they either never respond again or say "hmm that's weird, let me check on some things" (10 years go by, no posts, someone marks it as resolved and it remains the top google result for that problem forever).

It would be kinda nice if they could be bothered to say WHY it seems weird.

That pisses me off. WHAT DID YOU DO, YA CHUCK ROAST?!?! :argh:

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017

ghost emoji posted:

Or when they post screenshots, but no written explanations, and the screenshots have vanished from the online ether. gently caress you, Photobucket/Imageshack/etc!

oh man remember waffle images or imagewaffle or whatever that was

goons were using that for a while but it seems like such a blip on the radar now

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Timely peeve about something I've whined about it one of these samey PYF with the same posters this week

WHY THE gently caress IS A "Create Your Own" pizza with a side cheaper than a "House Recipe" pizza with a side when the pizza we created has the exact same crust, sauce, and toppings as the "house" pizza we would have ordered?

My peeve is half that, and half that apparently enough people fall for that kind of stuff that it keeps happening

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

It would be cheaper to get a none pizza with left beef then? :haw:

Pizza ordering menus are weird though. You have to game the system with their deals and all that jizz-jazz

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches

Or when the top google results for the problem are forum posts from people with the same issue, and the replies are full of people telling them to google it. :downs:

Other pet peeve: people whose reaction to being interrupted by something noisy (eg a passing firetruck) isn't to stop talking and wait, but to carry on and switch to a shout. I usually block my ears and mouth "I can't hear you." I don't care what you're saying if you want to deafen me to say it.

Goddamn Particle has a new favorite as of 10:51 on Dec 11, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
If I hear one more hot take about how ~snowflakes~ need to lighten up about "Baby it's cold outside" i'm going to go nuts. I hate that song, mostly because it's not really a song as much as two people talking to each other, and don't want to be reminded of it in any way, particularly if it is politicized. Please, go back to hating starbucks for whatever they did with the cups, that was better than having all my facebook feed suddenly being obsessed with this piece of poo poo song just to "trigger" people.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

If I hear one more hot take about how ~snowflakes~ need to lighten up about "Baby it's cold outside" i'm going to go nuts. I hate that song, mostly because it's not really a song as much as two people talking to each other, and don't want to be reminded of it in any way, particularly if it is politicized. Please, go back to hating starbucks for whatever they did with the cups, that was better than having all my facebook feed suddenly being obsessed with this piece of poo poo song just to "trigger" people.

This or whatever "issue" people decide to get all riled up about this week.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

MightyJoe36 posted:

This or whatever "issue" people decide to get all riled up about this week.

Even worse is the oh-so-above-it-all people who have to tell everyone how much more bettered they are. Paris happened and everyone had a french flag filter, you can bet they had a nigerian flag filter. Etc

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Re: Microwave chat

My microwave beeps at you when your food is done for 3 beeps, 3 seconds each, with 2 seconds of silence in between, adding up to a complete beep sequence of 13 seconds in duration. That's normal and fine. (~I suppose~.) What's not normal or fine is that if you open the door at any point during the beep sequence, even on the microsecond it began, the entire 13-second sequence will play out and you cannot shut it off by hitting STOP. You can shut it off by hitting STOP first and then opening the door, but who can remember to do that when decades of microwave use has instilled in humanity the instinct to hear a beep-->open the door??? :cmon:

And then there's the laundry dryer's airhorn alarm when the dryer cycle is complete, which scares the gently caress out of me and my cats every time it goes off. It is too goddamn loud. I can't hear the baby who lives across the hall from me, but I can hear my neighbors' dryer alarms go off all the way down the hall. We all live in <800 ft. apartments -- why in God's good name do our dryers need alarms anyway? We can hear the machine running and we can hear the silence when it stops. Whoaaaaa, magic.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah, people who act like they have a clear, unbiased view and that they stand above the pathetic fray... And then their opinion falls into one of the same camps everyone else is in except they're still using the defeated points because they didn't listen to any actual discussion.

Like the people who come scurrying in to say "I don't know why everyone is up in arms about gender, the question was decided by science years ago and everyone is ignoring it for political gain! Not me tho, I'm intelligent enough to know there are two genders because there's two genitals well bye"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rabbit Hill posted:

My microwave beeps at you when your food is done for 3 beeps, 3 seconds each, with 2 seconds of silence in between, adding up to a complete beep sequence of 13 seconds in duration. That's normal and fine. (~I suppose~.) What's not normal or fine is that if you open the door at any point during the beep sequence, even on the microsecond it began, the entire 13-second sequence will play out and you cannot shut it off by hitting STOP. You can shut it off by hitting STOP first and then opening the door, but who can remember to do that when decades of microwave use has instilled in humanity the instinct to hear a beep-->open the door??? :cmon:

Mine annoys me by "reminding" me that my food is done if I don't come and deal with it immediately. Like, if I'm heating something in the microwave while cooking something else on the stove, if the microwave finishes first then I have to go over to it and hit cancel or it just keeps beeping every few seconds forever (until I deal with it).

Shut the gently caress up, microwave! You exist for my convenience, not the other way around! I will get to you in my own good time!

It also automatically cancels settings if you don't start it quick enough. Like, if I'm making two-minute noodles and I put the kettle on then set the microwave (to save time) then it will have unset itself by the time the kettle's done. WHY?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The worst thing is when you have people doing nothing other than slacktivism while acting like they're single handedly saving the world. Sorry but if the most you're willing to do is like something on Facebook and make a Twitter post you've changed precisely "gently caress all."

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Sorry but if the most you're willing to do is like something on Facebook and make a Twitter post you've changed precisely "gently caress all."

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hey I'm raising awareness

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Sounds like you all need to convert to the 99:99 microwave method.

No beeps!

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The worst thing is when you have people doing nothing other than slacktivism while acting like they're single handedly saving the world. Sorry but if the most you're willing to do is like something on Facebook and make a Twitter post you've changed precisely "gently caress all."

To be fair, I don't blame them; it's too late for humans. I'm all for making our last two to three generations as comfortable as possible, but ultimately it's pointless.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

The part about this that irritates me is that the people who suddenly care about picking a side on this probably didn't care until it turned into an internet pillow fight. I don't even like the song, but could handle it a few times a year and mostly zone out and ignore it. Why can't we all just go back to not caring that it exists?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I heart bacon posted:

The part about this that irritates me is that the people who suddenly care about picking a side on this probably didn't care until it turned into an internet pillow fight. I don't even like the song, but could handle it a few times a year and mostly zone out and ignore it. Why can't we all just go back to not caring that it exists?

Because that would mean the SJWs Won. Share this song to own the libs!

One thing that peeves me is people doing that "just sharing this to piss off [people I don't agree with] LOL!" thing. It's rude to do that to people who are ostensibly your friends but also it never really pisses anyone off. I saw one that was Trump saluting some marine. Who is pissed off by that? I don't like Trump or military worship but cmon. The only thing it makes me feel is that whoever posted it is dumb.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

People that share stuff "just to piss people off" and call people things like "snowflakes" are usually the ones that flip their lid at the slightest things and the only ones actually pissed off about anything.

YOU ARE TRIGGERED! I AM NOT OWNED!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
To understand it you need to understand their mindset. To them the left hates the military and don't want trump to succeed because they hate America. That's it. Granted a lot of it also has to do with this stupid actively seeking outrage fuel that both sides have been doing. There's this stupid competition to see who can be the angriest the loudest about the most things. It's all about appearances instead of actual meaningful actions.

The real world is complex and scary and full of grey areas. It's easier to declare that everything is black and white, pick a side, and scream non-stop about how terrible everybody on the other side is.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Left hates the military and don't want trump to succeed because they hate America

:same:

Andrast has a new favorite as of 21:03 on Dec 11, 2018

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I one time made a point of reminding one of those people that an avalanche is made from snowflakes, and all I got back was that I was a triggered liberal and avalanches don't count.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

my pet peeve is in two parts:

- my older, fatter cat is a scarf-and-barfer, which is a total pain in the rear end, especially since he's on special Rx cat food to keep him from getting those lethal urinary crystals (again)
- I bought him a special bowl (pictured below) to eat from, which is intended to slow him down. it's done that; he has figured out how it works and when I come home from work (or whatever) the food is all gone.

H O W E V E R

- if I am here in the house, as I am at this moment, he will sit and yell at me rather than just get down to the business of eating his food, because by god he wants it all in his stomach immediately (so he can throw it up unchewed and then cry starvation all over again)

cat tax:

pictured: a moment of reasonable behavior

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pastry of the Year posted:

- my older, fatter cat is a scarf-and-barfer, which is a total pain in the rear end, especially since he's on special Rx cat food to keep him from getting those lethal urinary crystals (again)
- I bought him a special bowl (pictured below) to eat from, which is intended to slow him down. it's done that; he has figured out how it works and when I come home from work (or whatever) the food is all gone.

H O W E V E R

- if I am here in the house, as I am at this moment, he will sit and yell at me rather than just get down to the business of eating his food, because by god he wants it all in his stomach immediately (so he can throw it up unchewed and then cry starvation all over again)

cat tax:

My cat Tina is like this so now her meals are served in a ball she has to roll around. Take that, idiot!

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The real world is complex and scary and full of grey areas. It's easier to declare that everything is black and white, pick a side, and scream non-stop about how terrible everybody on the other side is.

Exactly. Also, I think it's possible to dislike a president and still retain hope that the outcome will be somehow positive for the country. It also seems to me that the loudest opinions come from people who somehow forget that there are still two other branches of government and somehow remain even more ignorant of their state and local governments.

OBUMMER MADE A NEW LAW ABOUT BLA BLA BLA
That is not how government works!! Goodnight!!

My ex-wife's cat likes to scarf and barf too. He's always hassling me like he needs something, but at least he's friendly and cool.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pastry of the Year posted:

H O W E V E R

cat tax:

What would search terms would I need to find one of those dishes? Got a cat that sometimes likes to regurgitate undigested food, wondering if one of these would help.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Sunswipe posted:

What would search terms would I need to find one of those dishes? Got a cat that sometimes likes to regurgitate undigested food, wondering if one of these would help.
Slow Feeder Cat Bowl.

I have a similar bowl for my cats where they have to reach in and pull food out to eat it.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Much obliged.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Lots of literal pet peeves lately. My cat Sully is so affectionate and her methods of affection are so weird (chewing on my face, etc.) that it's getting difficult to sleep. :smith:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I live with two cats now and they're super annoying and make no sense to me. Cats are my pet peeve. Never liked them.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

I live with two cats now and they're super annoying and make no sense to me. Cats are my pet peeve. Never liked them.

Now all the cat-owning goons are like:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can't be down with an animal that doesn't like when you pet them, but jumps into your lap randomly to pet it, and then starts hissing at you because you're petting it. Make sense you loving thing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You don’t side like a very good petter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Learn cat body language, dude. It's like being mad that you yanked a dog's ears and then getting mad it bit you.