Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

I'm really digging the dwarf updates. Axe Lords now applying to Long Beards as well (not sure if it already did, but the tooltip only says warriors and miners), and the consolidation of the veteran skills, really makes me more interested in the red line for them. I've been iffy on Axe Lords because by the time I get to that point in the tree I'm usually already getting Long Beards and it seemed like a waste, but now that will carry forward it might occasionally be worth grabbing that early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wish there were more interesting mechanics, not balance changes but a little bit of love for Old World factions.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

jokes posted:

Wish there were more interesting mechanics, not balance changes but a little bit of love for Old World factions.

They've been tying those to DLC releases ie VC/VSea

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gejnor posted:

Only if you have the time to get them to rank 7, which you may not!

I haven't played them in forever but isn't Empire, especially with Karl, pretty good at stacking recruit rank buffs?

Might have been mods but I remember Karl could recruit really buff state troops, especially with the blue line and province edict helping him out. If it was mods it was a good idea! It felt thematic that Empire cared more than most about getting veteran units.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

jokes posted:

It wouldn't surprise me to see some changes to the Empire with the release of the next DLC faction.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
I always felt that vet buffs should be bonus xp up til the limit. For example if you have +4 bonus for a swordsman, the unit gains x2 xp up til level 4.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I haven't played them in forever but isn't Empire, especially with Karl, pretty good at stacking recruit rank buffs?

Might have been mods but I remember Karl could recruit really buff state troops, especially with the blue line and province edict helping him out. If it was mods it was a good idea! It felt thematic that Empire cared more than most about getting veteran units.

Even when I first started and didn't know what I was doing, recruiting rank 6 infantry as the baseline wasn't usually an issue since empire recruitment in places with the iron ingot resource also buffs infantry rank.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I really want to see some substantial changes to old world factions (not VC) to keep them fresh. Greenskins, Empire, and Bretonnians could really use some love. It's kind of absurd that even in ME the Brets can only summon the Green Knight a handful of times. I can't see them adding rituals to every race, but it would be nice to see a little more love to keep them competitive with the TW2 factions.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I really want to see some substantial changes to old world factions (not VC) to keep them fresh. Greenskins, Empire, and Bretonnians could really use some love. It's kind of absurd that even in ME the Brets can only summon the Green Knight a handful of times. I can't see them adding rituals to every race, but it would be nice to see a little more love to keep them competitive with the TW2 factions.

I'm hoping that they'll get there. The Green Knight is loving begging for a Ritual, so I'm hopeful that eventually we'll get to the point where they realize rituals are cool and good and the old world needs them, too.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Speaking of Festag, the Ye Olde Goon Squad-cast did a christmas charity stream a few days ago featuring Boris Todbringer which was pretty funny.
https://clips.twitch.tv/TawdryObeseMousePanicVis

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I agree, it makes sense as a general game mechanic. Rite/ritual can be easily reskinned to whatever flavor is needed for "large faction undertaking the reinforces its core mechanics and informs how it plays". Hell, they could probably take the idea of Waagh as implemented in the game and just make that their "ritual". Off the top of my head: Any fightness (however they spell that) you earn also starts filling a Waagh meter. You can spend this on 4 tiers of Waagh, with each being more powerful than the next OR require X amount to do anything, with additional enhancing the effect you get, and each Waagh being a different flavor. Horde Waagh brings in a poo poo ton of basic units, Gobbo Waagh brings in tons of gobbos, Orc Waagh a ton of orks, Monster Waagh brings in "others". At the baseline it brings in 4-5 tier 1 guys at rank 1, while at the top end you're looking at a full army of high tier and ranked up units. Smack around that idea with the balance stick until it makes sense and you've got a pretty orky version of rituals/rites.

I'm still relatively new to the game and figuring things out, but I really do think its a nifty mechanic and could be applied to any of the races/factions in a straightforward manner. While they are at it, maybe let you pick where the gently caress your poo poo spawns? Even by midgame it can be annoying to walk a pack of dinosaurs to wherever you need them. Between costs and cooldowns, they don't need to gate you on spawn location as well.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Vargs posted:

Speaking of Festag, the Ye Olde Goon Squad-cast did a christmas charity stream a few days ago featuring Boris Todbringer which was pretty funny.
https://clips.twitch.tv/TawdryObeseMousePanicVis

i learned only recently that a "tod" is a word for a fox

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

drat Dirty Ape posted:

The Green Knight thing is extra fun if one of those limited charges gets cut short when he's assassinated. That happened to me just before I got my army to the Badlands Errantry location.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Dr Christmas posted:

The Green Knight thing is extra fun if one of those limited charges gets cut short when he's assassinated. That happened to me just before I got my army to the Badlands Errantry location.

Yeah, that is complete bullshit as well. I think the green knight would be much better as a sort of an ability where you could choose to summon him during a battle to swing the tide. So maybe you do a ritual and you get to summon him 3 times or something, I don't know.

TaintedBalance posted:

I agree, it makes sense as a general game mechanic. Rite/ritual can be easily reskinned to whatever flavor is needed for "large faction undertaking the reinforces its core mechanics and informs how it plays". Hell, they could probably take the idea of Waagh as implemented in the game and just make that their "ritual". Off the top of my head: Any fightness (however they spell that) you earn also starts filling a Waagh meter. You can spend this on 4 tiers of Waagh, with each being more powerful than the next OR require X amount to do anything, with additional enhancing the effect you get, and each Waagh being a different flavor. Horde Waagh brings in a poo poo ton of basic units, Gobbo Waagh brings in tons of gobbos, Orc Waagh a ton of orks, Monster Waagh brings in "others". At the baseline it brings in 4-5 tier 1 guys at rank 1, while at the top end you're looking at a full army of high tier and ranked up units. Smack around that idea with the balance stick until it makes sense and you've got a pretty orky version of rituals/rites.

I'm still relatively new to the game and figuring things out, but I really do think its a nifty mechanic and could be applied to any of the races/factions in a straightforward manner. While they are at it, maybe let you pick where the gently caress your poo poo spawns? Even by midgame it can be annoying to walk a pack of dinosaurs to wherever you need them. Between costs and cooldowns, they don't need to gate you on spawn location as well.

I really love the greenskins but the waaagh mechanic is absolutely terrible and needs work. I get the idea behind it, but having a terrible AI controlled idiot army usually just feeds money and experience to the enemy. It's way too much of a hassle to arrange it so you actually fight in the same battle and they actually do more harm than good if they are in your own territory.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Yeah, that is complete bullshit as well. I think the green knight would be much better as a sort of an ability where you could choose to summon him during a battle to swing the tide. So maybe you do a ritual and you get to summon him 3 times or something, I don't know.

I really love the greenskins but the waaagh mechanic is absolutely terrible and needs work. I get the idea behind it, but having a terrible AI controlled idiot army usually just feeds money and experience to the enemy. It's way too much of a hassle to arrange it so you actually fight in the same battle and they actually do more harm than good if they are in your own territory.

Yes, also this. My proposed idea (which is really just spitballing) would have it replaced with a Waagh you summon and you control. Maybe upkeep free but you can never reinforce it? I dunno, like I said, you'd have to hit it with the balance stick a bit, but it the Waagh mechanic as it exists is definitely busted but at the same time a step in the right direction. An upkeep free army that is attrition free but can only heal up via winning battles and burning poo poo to the ground seems very ork with a lot of room for building up fightiness to unleash a big rear end one, or calling in a smaller one because you need something to gently caress with the AI RIGHT NOW.

Unrelated, I had a weird thing as the fighter lord dino dude. I was fighting those first skaven, and went to the first ruin/skaven nest north. The lord was standing outside, had 2 units, was in encamp mode, and even though i had enough movement, it wouldn't allow me to attack either. I end up stuck near them and say gently caress it, end turn. I have a decent stack, can handle it. Rolls back around to my turn and he now has a stack of 17 loving units. How the poo poo did that happen?

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011
Anyone thinking that instead of adding new mechanics, like blood kisses, the empire will just get a shitload of legendary lords, since they're pretty much the baseline race around which all other races are modified

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
is todbringer pronounced todd bringer or toad bringer

i refuse to say toadbringer

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ammanas posted:

It's pronounced "HAPPY loving FESTAG".

Also Todd Bringer.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

Well, it is hilarious in the sense of having an immortal legend getting shanked in a back alley by a goblin big boss.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Salted_Pork posted:

Anyone thinking that instead of adding new mechanics, like blood kisses, the empire will just get a shitload of legendary lords, since they're pretty much the baseline race around which all other races are modified

Honestly, I'd argue that the High Elves are the new normal that races are balanced around. The Empire is seriously lacking in certain categories - no real monster units, no real super elite frontline - that have become standard issue for basically every new race introduction, whereas the High Elves can provide a baseline for every single type of unit.

The Empire shouldn't get super weird mechanics, because they're the baseline humans, but they should get huge bonuses for playing like the Emperor should and working with/defending the Empire provinces. Cribbing Alarielle's Defender of Ulthuan mechanic would work nicely without making the faction too complicated. That and you can modify their unit structure a little bit now that times have moved forward. The Steam Tank is begging to become a rite unit like the Casket and Queen Bess, for example, and if you do that you can buff it to make it feel like a real monster.

That and overhaul their Offices. Offices were like the core mechanic of the Empire when they were released and now a bunch of other races have them except way more powerful. Compare the Coast offices to the Empire ones if you want a chuckle.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 12, 2018

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Total War Warhammer: TODDY!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

TaintedBalance posted:

Unrelated, I had a weird thing as the fighter lord dino dude. I was fighting those first skaven, and went to the first ruin/skaven nest north. The lord was standing outside, had 2 units, was in encamp mode, and even though i had enough movement, it wouldn't allow me to attack either. I end up stuck near them and say gently caress it, end turn. I have a decent stack, can handle it. Rolls back around to my turn and he now has a stack of 17 loving units. How the poo poo did that happen?

Do you know it was the same lord? Skaven stacks are cheap and you can’t see whether anyone is in the city until you attack it. Sometimes they’ll have two stacks shuffle who is inside the city and who is standing near it.

Also, probably what happened is you had enough movement to enter the control zone of the enemy army but were just short of attacking.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i bought an already painted classic nagash from ebay and every day i look at him on my desk and smile

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Morathi picked up the Sword of Khaine by beating Alarielle, and now it's dominating and it's ridiculous. I've never let it get this far before because I didn't want to deal with the downsides, but drat—I just watched her solo Tyrion and a unit of dragon princes and barely take any damage. She's barely got anything in the yellow skill tree and she's the scariest lord I've ever seen.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The Sword of Khaine basically adds a dedicated combat lord's worth of combat stats on top of what you already have so it turns literally anyone into a world beater. It's pretty impressive, and I honestly think it's actually best in the hands of someone who's not great at fighting to begin with for that reason. Even a turbo nerd like Kemmler or Gelt can slaughter combat lords with it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

quote:

Tomb Scorpion: Hit reactions ignore chance from 0 to 40, knock interrupts from 0 to 40

What does this mean?

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/the-festag-update-beta

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

quote:

Cylostra Direfin’s porthole should now display correctly on all graphics settings.
Oh my.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

As far as I can guess, stagger protection upon getting hit

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

The Empire just feels dated and conservatively designed, which might be expected being likely the first faction developed for the game. Fun fact: Did you know the Empire has Knights of the Blazing Sun? I can't even remember the last time I recruited them because of the dumb Talabecland only thing.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Ammanas posted:

https://translate.google.com/#view=home&op=translate&sl=de&tl=en&text=todbringer

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The native language of the empire is pronounced like german as pronounced by an englishman who has never taken a german lesson

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Sasgrillo posted:

The Empire just feels dated and conservatively designed, which might be expected being likely the first faction developed for the game. Fun fact: Did you know the Empire has Knights of the Blazing Sun? I can't even remember the last time I recruited them because of the dumb Talabecland only thing.

Yeah, that's dumb.

They're pretty decent in MP, specially against factions that have regenerating monsters and if you bring a Bright Wizard, since every time he casts he gives them a damage buff.

I never managed to recruit them in the campaign.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sasgrillo posted:

Even worse, KotBS were a major DLC unit that was part of Grim and the Grave. The VCs got Ghorst, the Strigoi Ghoul King, the Corpse Cart, and the Mortis Engine, while the Empire got Volkmar, the Arch Lector, Free Company, Flagellants, and the KotBS.

If they were designed from a modern standpoint they'd be recruit anywhere with a bonus building that roids them up in Talabecland.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Sasgrillo posted:

The AI actually managed to recruit them in my last, pre-beta game! :v:

Was playing as Khazrak and accidently managed to create a massive, top-spot Empire due to taking the borderlands - > vampire counts route and murdering them on the way in, then burning down the elector counts and heading up and killing Kislev. When i headed back Karl had colonized everything and recruited massive murder-stacks of Greatswords, demigryphs, handgunners etc. Made for some fun battles!

Speaking of murderlords, when i patched and then abandoned the campaign Khazrak was on foot, level 40 with 80+ MA and MD and over 700+WD, with points into army buffs for Bestigors and War Beasts as well as that army wide damage buff skill. :black101:

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

When a unit gets alot of damage inflicted, it goes into a stagger animation (hit reaction)
When a unit gets alot of physics force inflicted, it suffers knockdown

Both of these are bad. You can't attack if you can't do the attack animation because youre doing the stagger animation

Knock/Hit-reaction ignore is the chance that a unit resists going into the animation.

Pre-beta, a treeman would get absolutely destroyed by any decent monster, even ones that had weaker stats, because it had a long slow stagger animation and was one of the only 2 monsters that had no stagger/knock resistance. Nearly every good hit would send it into it's stagger animation and so it would end up stun-locked to death.

Scorpions were the other monster with no resistance but they had a quick stagger animation so it wasn't as big a deal.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I haven't used tooooo many scorpions but did they need it?

They felt really good in their niche because their own attack animations makes them practically teleport fighters that don't take hits.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I haven't used tooooo many scorpions but did they need it?

They felt really good in their niche because their own attack animations makes them practically teleport fighters that don't take hits.

I don't think they needed it but its only a minor buff since their animations were too good anyway.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

jokes posted:

They could give Counts mournguls for starters. Kind if wondering just how hard that would be to mod really.

Also did they give the vampire LLs the new bloodline skills?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Huh. WH2 was launching fine last night. Now it white-screen locks on launch. Thats weird!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Looks like the beta patch broke Vampiric attrition some how. Noticed on a Beastmen playthrough my armies were taking attrition in territories with >20% vampiric corruption. More entertaining in a territory with 60%+ CHAOS corruption, the Red Duke plopped down in a ruined village and I instantly started to take attrition.

The only mods I have installed are: Improved Border Colors, Skip Intro, Better Camera, Faster End Turn Camera.

I noticed the tool tip says "when in Undead territory", is that new? I never recall taking attrition in areas controlled by undead with sub 50% corruption.

99pct of germs fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 12, 2018