Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The only problem with Wonder Woman was the final boss and how the message of the movie kind of breaks down at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Are they doing Wonder Woman in 1983 for the next one? Shameful trend-chasing there. They should try to set the curve for a new nostalgia wave and set it in 1999.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Altering the subject - does anyone watch Cody's Showdy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gb5AuUMwDI

This is an older one but I like it alot. I think this guy started as a skit on some dumb tv show or something, prolly nothing important, and he's since expanded to his own channel and podcast. He's very well informed, very funny and very angry. He's basically what the Young Turks think they are.

Opinions?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

KayTee posted:

This is an older one but I like it alot. I think this guy started as a skit on some dumb tv show or something, prolly nothing important, and he's since expanded to his own channel and podcast. He's very well informed, very funny and very angry. He's basically what the Young Turks think they are.

Opinions?

He's like John Oliver without the British accent or HBO budget, so I don't hate his stuff but it's usually just fine.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

KayTee posted:

Opinions?

He started it at Cracked right before they fired everyone. Cody calls it “the old place.”

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he's quite good at owning shapiro and co. on twitter.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Yardbomb posted:

I don't know what he was complaining about, but complaining about Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman is good and correct.

she was ok. the only issue i have is she cant hide her accent so they make every other amazonian do the same accent.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The only problem with Wonder Woman was the final boss and how the message of the movie kind of breaks down at the end.

yeah. it should have been in ww2(which i guess can't happen as easily now that ludendorf and most of the German high command are super loving dead). part of the ending theme that annoyed me was when she goes full god mode and kills like 30 regular soldiers but she can't kill the one piece of poo poo who has actually done loads of horrible poo poo. so its ok to incinerate a ton of regular foot grunts but the evil war criminal is allowed to live because "hurr that would be bad"

i hate the spare the evil fucker because true heroes trope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdpcsngVwn8

idk. plus super powers vs WW1 tech feels like a one sides fist fight. id love to she her throwing SS dudes or a tiger tank through a building, that would have been cool.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 13, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The only issue I have is she cant hide her accent so they make every other amazonian do the same accent.

Well that and how she's another cheerleader for israel's ethnic cleansing force the IDF.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Well that and how she's another cheerleader for israel's ethnic cleansing force the IDF.

i was gonna mention that but i don't feel like starting that derail.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lynda carter 4 lyfe.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i still hope that wonder woman game rumor is true.

https://cosmicbook.news/wonder-woman-video-game

i feel like it sounds right enough to be true.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Wonder Womans accent is fine, it's exotic without being distracting, it's perfect for an Amazonian,

I do suspect there was some producer meddling in wonder woman though. I think the big twist at the end was originally going to be that Diana was actually the daughter of Ares, and her powers would be similarily drawn through conflict, and also that she abandoned humanity in her sorrow after losing Steve.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i still hope that wonder woman game rumor is true.

https://cosmicbook.news/wonder-woman-video-game

i feel like it sounds right enough to be true.

Man, I want a superman game that's actually fun.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

McCloud posted:

Man, I want a superman game that's actually fun.

May I suggest Superman 64? Its so fun that ProtonJohn has been playing it for like 20 years.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

also avatar used loving papyrus for the subtitles. PAPYRUS.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Groovelord Neato posted:

hosed up if true

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I thought the last act of Wonder Woman and every single action scene in the movie were distractingly bad, but I was suitably charmed by the character moments in the film.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

KayTee posted:

Opinions?

I liked the episode of "Behind the Bastards" he was on.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

:staredog:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Stephen Lang is a legitimately awesome ham and I’m sorry his career as a grizzled action man never happened, outside of that show about going back in time to fight dinosaurs for oil.

Jenny should review that show, actually. It was on fox.

Terra Nova wobbled back and forth between awesome and awful, but Stephen Lang and Jason O’Mara’s bromance carried it through its darkest times and Fox killed it because while it was pulling respectable ratings they were cheap bastards and didn’t want to spend money on it anymore.

Also it was a sci-fi show on Fox not made by Seth McFarland, so it was DOA already when it premiered no matter how well it did.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Terra Nova was amazing, at some point Stephen Lang's character is like, paraphrasing here "How would someone kill another person with a dinosaur?????"

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Leal posted:

May I suggest Superman 64? Its so fun that ProtonJohn has been playing it for like 20 years.

I actually bought that game, full price, when it was released back in the day because I just love the S.

It is difficult to overstate how utterly terrible that game was

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

dudeness posted:

Terra Nova was amazing, at some point Stephen Lang's character is like, paraphrasing here "How would someone kill another person with a dinosaur?????"

In my opinion, the only bad part about Terra Nova was the teenage son, who was that typical “Aughties sci-fi drama awful poo poo son” in the vein of the kid from V 2009 who was so dumb and “gently caress You, Mom” that he ran away from home and was hosed to death by the villains as comeuppance.

Everyone and everything else was great though.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Groovelord Neato posted:

The 'AVATAR' title text on the poster is in Papyrus as well, albeit modified a bit. There it looks okay, but most everywhere else, it succeeds in being as terrible looking as Comic Sans (hence the Undertale names).

Anyway, Dunkey put out another video on difficulty in video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY-_dsTlosI

EDIT: Related thing I just saw:
https://twitter.com/botherer/status/1073144899678154753
https://twitter.com/drop_thegun/status/1073237513039503362

How do you make it four hours into Dark Souls and not realize you can level up? :psyduck:

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 14, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
isn't his point more that the leveling system itself is arcane and easily full of traps for unaware players

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

dudeness posted:

As epic a sci-fi question as what God needs with a starship.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

sexpig by night posted:

isn't his point more that the leveling system itself is arcane and easily full of traps for unaware players

No, they literally did not know how to level up at all.

As for the first tweet, it's John Walker so it's couched in the most obnoxious tone possible, but there is a nugget of truth in there that Dark Souls kicked off a bit of a trend towards a very specific type of combat pacing along with other design concepts being stolen wholesale (souls, estus flasks) whether or not they were a good fit for a game. (I can't speak for it personally, but I know complaints come up now and again about Hollow Knight having souls.) On the other hand, "action games" is a really fuckin' vague category and I'm pretty sure award winning action game God of War doesn't have that sort of pass/fail difficulty and Platinum-style games are often just as challenging but with a totally different pace so I guess what I'm saying is I have no goddamn idea what he's actually blathering about other than he doesn't like Dark Souls.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

It did get protestors in Gaza and China dressing as Na'vi, so it did hit a chord outside the US and Canada.

I think it struck a chord in the US as well. But fandom as we seem to have collectively defined it is less about feeling that an artistic expression applies to your life and more about feeling that you should relate your life to an artistic expression (i.e. ensure Navipedia has properly cited entries for blue milk and jizz)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Bet you always wanted a whole hour dedicated to the Avatar theme park! Well, Jenny Nicholson has just the thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrIxGWterYA

The whiplash between her pure, simple joy in the footage at the park and her dead loving unflinching irony back in the present is such a delight. It’s like she’s punishing her past self for liking things. I’m sure there’s a whole theme park expert subculture out there, but I’m happy with these videos being my only window into that kind of expertise. And Defunctland, I guess.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

John Murdoch posted:

As for the first tweet, it's John Walker so it's couched in the most obnoxious tone possible, but there is a nugget of truth in there that Dark Souls kicked off a bit of a trend towards a very specific type of combat pacing along with other design concepts being stolen wholesale (souls, estus flasks) whether or not they were a good fit for a game. (I can't speak for it personally, but I know complaints come up now and again about Hollow Knight having souls.) On the other hand, "action games" is a really fuckin' vague category and I'm pretty sure award winning action game God of War doesn't have that sort of pass/fail difficulty and Platinum-style games are often just as challenging but with a totally different pace so I guess what I'm saying is I have no goddamn idea what he's actually blathering about other than he doesn't like Dark Souls.

Probably Darksiders 3's recent release doing the corpse run to reclaim currency after you die and apparently some other stuff badly stolen from DaS. Not that the game would have been good without it but it makes the game pretty bullshit.

Didn't Nier:A also do the corpse run thing? That's literally a platinum game doing one of the most famous souls things.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

John Murdoch posted:

Even if it was about the leveling system directly, the only thing that I can think of that'd be arcane might be understanding level scaling with weapons, or possibly how (at least in DS1) Resistance is considered to be a dump stat. Regardless, there are plenty of guides online that detail the nuances of weapons and the leveling system.

John Murdoch posted:

What I don't get is that he laments Dark Souls for ruining action games of late 2000s and onward, but then he he says, "action games used to be about having fun. Now they're about a miserable attempt to stay alive for 30 seconds." Like, that even further compounds the vagueness, because there are a lot of games that precede Demon's Souls which are way harder (Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden Black, Maximo, any RTS game, etc.)

But what irks me his responses to others chiming in:

https://twitter.com/botherer/status/1073155482586632192
https://twitter.com/botherer/status/1073161584569135105
https://twitter.com/botherer/status/1073163776747298816
https://twitter.com/botherer/status/1073164011921911809

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 14, 2018

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Hel posted:

Didn't Nier:A also do the corpse run thing? That's literally a platinum game doing one of the most famous souls things.

It did, but this was probably at Taro's request because he loves to cram things in for plot related reasons. For what its worth, you can completely ignore it by saving/reloading normally, and halfway through the game they outright get rid of the corpse run aspect of it. I'm pretty sure you'll still leave corpses in other peoples' games a-la the bloodstains from Souls, though.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

It's odd that this comes at this time. I never played any Souls game, partially due to their fame as being hardcore and the boasting of its fans. But I helped a friend paint his miniatures for the Dark Souls tabletop game and it got me curious, and when I saw DS3 on sale, I got it on a whim just last week.

It's...different, and sees no need to explain itself or holed your hand. That said, the weapons and monsters feel nice, you do feel like you achieved something whenever you make it to the next boss or bonfire, and just by seeing that weapons have stat affinities you can infer that you need to build toward a particular style.

That said, pretty much all my NPCs have died or deserted me due to nonmarked, weirdly-paced 'quests' that are apparently a thing. I'm not asking for the usual dopey "QUEST: Equipping Gear. You need to equip your wepons before they can be used to deal damage and win battles. Drag this Sword icon to your character's left hand! You did it! Good boy. Have 1800 xp!" mold, but...yeah.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

yeah most dark souls quests are incredibly hard to complete without looking at a guide

sometimes you're lucky enough to stumble into a bad ending for one, at least that's a conclusion

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Sephyr posted:

It's odd that this comes at this time. I never played any Souls game, partially due to their fame as being hardcore and the boasting of its fans. But I helped a friend paint his miniatures for the Dark Souls tabletop game and it got me curious, and when I saw DS3 on sale, I got it on a whim just last week.

It's...different, and sees no need to explain itself or holed your hand. That said, the weapons and monsters feel nice, you do feel like you achieved something whenever you make it to the next boss or bonfire, and just by seeing that weapons have stat affinities you can infer that you need to build toward a particular style.

That said, pretty much all my NPCs have died or deserted me due to nonmarked, weirdly-paced 'quests' that are apparently a thing. I'm not asking for the usual dopey "QUEST: Equipping Gear. You need to equip your wepons before they can be used to deal damage and win battles. Drag this Sword icon to your character's left hand! You did it! Good boy. Have 1800 xp!" mold, but...yeah.

See, that was sort of my thing, too: I didn't really give a hoot about Dark Souls for the longest time; all I heard about it was that it was hard, and I wasn't interested in it. Then I saw Dark Souls 1 on sale for cheap and I picked it up on a whim. I played a bit of it, got chased by skeletons, and I think I even made it up to the first bonfire in the Undead Burg, and I said, "Well, this game seems okay, but I just don't think it's for me," and I uninstalled

But eventually, I decided to boot it up and give it another try, and after a while I really started to enjoy it. I thought the world design was fantastic with how it looped around on itself. I enjoyed getting summoned into other peoples' games and helping them fight bosses. I started experimenting with other weapons and found that I like using the Halberd more than the dumb dragon tail sword.

That I think, more than anything, really helped me get what one of the big appeals of the Soulsborne games: it's somewhat akin to fighting games, where picking the weapon you use is like picking the fighter you enjoy playing the most; your focus shouldn't be mainly on how much damage they do, it should be on how they operate, how you use them, and what you like the most. Once you do that, it really starts to open up.

dmboogie posted:

yeah most dark souls quests are incredibly hard to complete without looking at a guide

sometimes you're lucky enough to stumble into a bad ending for one, at least that's a conclusion

I remember someone saying that DS3 is pretty bad in terms of questlines you can miss out on or fail. I haven't played DS3 yet, so I can't really comment. I don't remember DS1 having that issue, nor do I remember anything like that in Bloodborne (anything major at least). Demon's Souls had the issue where one of the NPCs (Ostavra) wandered around and had a risk of dying early on in certain sections, and you might not notice, meaning you might lose the key he drops. DS2 had the issue where to progress the storyline for some NPCs, they had to join you as a phantom in a fight two-or-three times and survive it.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 14, 2018

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Max Wilco posted:

Even if it was about the leveling system directly, the only thing that I can think of that'd be arcane might be understanding level scaling with weapons, or possibly how (at least in DS1) Resistance is considered to be a dump stat. Regardless, there are plenty of guides online that detail the nuances of weapons and the leveling system.

I mean, none of those things are good, and are part of the genuine rough edges that Dark Souls has, but it's not like it invented dump stats or confusing subsystems. Those are a thing in like every RPG ever.

Max Wilco posted:

But what irks me his responses to others chiming in:

His responses come off like he meant his original tweet to be a goofy, over-the-top Hot Take but it reads like an actual smug as hell, bad hot take you'd expect from him. Obviously it's everyone else's fault.

Maybe he should git gud at tweeting.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

John Murdoch posted:

I mean, none of those things are good, and are part of the genuine rough edges that Dark Souls has, but it's not like it invented dump stats or confusing subsystems. Those are a thing in like every RPG ever.
It's got some particularly egregious examples, like Adaptability in DS2 or Poise in DS3.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's got some particularly egregious examples, like Adaptability in DS2 or Poise in DS3.

I think Adaptability (or maybe the change to stats in general) was what initially put me off from DS2. Wasn't it something to do with how many iframes you got or something?

Also, is Poise different in DS3?

John Murdoch posted:

His responses come off like he meant his original tweet to be a goofy, over-the-top Hot Take but it reads like an actual smug as hell, bad hot take you'd expect from him. Obviously it's everyone else's fault.

Maybe he should git gud at tweeting.

John Walker: *says something stupid*

Other People: "Hey, what you said was pretty stupid."

John Walker: "People are telling me my tweet is stupid, but that just shows that they're the stupid ones for making a big deal out of it.:smug:"

Basically: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYGxWGduCCQ

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 14, 2018

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

can't believe dark souls is why just cause 4 is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Max Wilco posted:

I think Adaptability (or maybe the change to stats in general) was what initially put me off from DS2. Wasn't it something to do with how many iframes you got or something?

Also, is Poise different in DS3?
Yeah, Adaptability is linked to iframes.

Here's a short summary from a much, much longer article about how Poise worked in DS3

The long, desperate search to understand Poise in Dark Souls 3 posted:

FromSoftware has changed how poise works across all three games, to varying degrees. In Dark Souls 1 and 2, think of poise like an invisible meter. When attacked, your poise meter would go down. If your poise meter expired, your animation was interrupted. Though this wasn't surfaced in the game's interface, you could intuit how it worked. In Dark Souls 2, FromSoftware introduced a wrinkle that fans dubbed "hyper poise." For certain weapon types—usually heavy ones like greataxes—poise would temporarily increase while attacking, but you had to time your attacks to make sure poise kicked on at the right moment. None of this was made visible by the game, of course; it was all silently happening in the background.

"The invisible number war now had an invisible number modifier in an invisible situation," said Norwood.

For Dark Souls 3, FromSoftware quietly removed how poise worked in the original game, while keeping the mechanics of Dark Souls 2. Now, poise exists when you attack with a weapon, but no longer protects you from being staggered while standing around. Additionally, some weapon arts, like one inspired by the dash move from Bloodborne, enable poise while the player is moving. Essentially, Dark Souls 3 only provides poise while players are active.

It took people 6 months to work out the details, all while FROM were being unhelpful and cryptic. It's not inherently a bad mechanic but there was no attempt to explain to players what was actually happening.