Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Oh god i really dont like GC mines but I have to break the cycle of constantly rerolling as soon as I finish Act 10 this league. Do GC mines start feeling better once you get into maps or anything? Feels like everything is clunky compared to traps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

latinotwink1997 posted:

What’s the deal with the gif of the guy in the OP doing some orb thing to a belt? It looks like something I want to laugh at. I just downloaded this game cuz it popped up on Steam and was reading up.

He's using the orbs to re-roll the item hoping for something super valuable. He gets it, you can see it for a split second, but he accidentally clicks again and re-rolls it back into something useless

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Question about playing mines. In all the videos, which is always end-game of course, the mines are just constantly getting spammed and appear to be going off instantly, but at my level (44, belly of the beast in Act 4) it still feels clunky as all hell, clicking one button to drop a mine, then clicking another button until they go off.

What should I be focusing on to try to get that smooth playstyle that I see in the videos, or is it just a matter of completing the labs to fill out the ascendencies, or am I completely missing something on how I should be playing this?

For single target I'm using lightning spire traps.

My mines are: Vaal Arc - Trap & Mine Damage - Remote Mine - Minefield. The build guide shows using Added Cold Damage instead of Trap and Mine Damage, but it looks a lot lower in DPS so I'm not sure why I would do that?

Lightning Spire Traps - Lightning Spire Trap - Elemental Focus - Lightning Penetration - Advanced Traps.

Movement is Flame Dash - Faster Casting - Arcane Surge (when I remember to do it).

The damage is solid, it's just the playstyle is so clunky. I do have "Always stop moving to cast" or whatever it's called checked.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

latinotwink1997 posted:

What’s the deal with the gif of the guy in the OP doing some orb thing to a belt? It looks like something I want to laugh at. I just downloaded this game cuz it popped up on Steam and was reading up.

He is spamming Ancient Orbs to try to reforge a random unique leather belt into one of the rarest, most powerful items in the game, Headhunter (which is also a leather belt, so same item class). Headhunter is exceedingly rare and difficult to come by these days, so hitting it would be winning the lottery so to speak.

Just before the end of the gif, he hits the miracle Ancient and actually gets Headhunter (the string of skulls looking belt). But he's spamming so fast he clicks again on the Headhunter and reforges it into a completely worthless, different unique leather belt.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

latinotwink1997 posted:

Using that orb changes an item from one item to another. He got the absolute best result worth a tonne of money and then rolled past it because of muscle memory.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

latinotwink1997 posted:

I think he was trying to make a Headhunter, one of the most expensive items in the game, and he loving over-rolled it (got it and then clicked one more time, thereby losing alllllllllllll that money)

edit: gently caress, three of us at once!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
When Zana missions count for atlas completion: :dance:

When they still don't count for Shaper questline: :nallears:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

BobbyK posted:

Oh god i really dont like GC mines but I have to break the cycle of constantly rerolling as soon as I finish Act 10 this league. Do GC mines start feeling better once you get into maps or anything? Feels like everything is clunky compared to traps

Heh... glad I'm not the only one! Seriously hope it gets better or I might respec to traps depending on how easy that is.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
If you've finished all of your ascendancies and still don't like mines, then nothing is really going to change.

If you haven't finished your ascendancies, do them ASAP. And if you're softcore considering putting off either pyro or born in shadows to rush the ascendancy that makes your mines arm instantly.

E: you can also link detonate mines to either totem support or to cwdt to automate the detonation part a bit

Papercut fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 13, 2018

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Papercut posted:

If you've finished all of your ascendancies and still don't like mines, then nothing is really going to change.

If you haven't finished your ascendancies, do them ASAP. And if you're softcore considering putting off either pyro or born in shadows to rush the ascendancy that makes your mines arm instantly.

always take born in shadows first imo

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

The Locator posted:

Question about playing mines. In all the videos, which is always end-game of course, the mines are just constantly getting spammed and appear to be going off instantly, but at my level (44, belly of the beast in Act 4) it still feels clunky as all hell, clicking one button to drop a mine, then clicking another button until they go off.

What should I be focusing on to try to get that smooth playstyle that I see in the videos, or is it just a matter of completing the labs to fill out the ascendencies, or am I completely missing something on how I should be playing this?

The damage is solid, it's just the playstyle is so clunky. I do have "Always stop moving to cast" or whatever it's called checked.

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Volatile_Mines

Probably one of the most important steps towards smoothing out mines.

Papercut posted:

E: you can also link detonate mines to either totem support or to cwdt to automate the detonation part a bit

I'm personally a fan of CWDT. Mainly because I forgot a heat flask, opened a strongbox, and managed to survive because I had that setup. I didn't actually realize I had it linked with CWDT at the time but I kept it there ever since.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing with the Syndicate. I mostly just choose whatever gives me the most points towards unlocking a safehouse. Should I give a poo poo who does what?

J
Jun 10, 2001

Soothing Vapors posted:

Artifice is the only good way to EE for CS/Vortex, imo

The best way is putting frost bomb, storm brand, and orb of storms in a weapon with the "trigger a socketed spell when you use a skill" craft, which costs a whopping 3c. It only triggers 1 at a time but it cycles between the 3 and during the course of normal gameplay you'll have all 3 out anytime it actually matters. This also helps keep elemental overload up all the time as well.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Hoo boy, I was fighting Innocence in act 5 and every single one of his little golden orbs that he shoots out in touhou bullet patterns were one shotting me. The only character Id ever played before was a self cast arc witch, so I guess I actually need to pay attention to my HP and resists when Im not an unassailable lightning mage

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

BitterAvatar posted:

I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing with the Syndicate. I mostly just choose whatever gives me the most points towards unlocking a safehouse. Should I give a poo poo who does what?

You certainly can but just getting people up in rank and getting into more safehouses is good. It's like choosing your delve nodes vs. just diving deeper.

You aren't really spoiled for choice on who moves where most of the time. If you want someone in a particular branch, drop them to rank 0 and wait for them to get brought in on a bargain. The bargains that swap people come up a lot less often than bringing rank 0s in.

The syndicate stuff is a real slow burn compared to delve, and unlike incursion it could be another 30 zones before you cash in a particular safehouse.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Meme Emulator posted:

Hoo boy, I was fighting Innocence in act 5 and every single one of his little golden orbs that he shoots out in touhou bullet patterns were one shotting me. The only character Id ever played before was a self cast arc witch, so I guess I actually need to pay attention to my HP and resists when Im not an unassailable lightning mage

The statues around the arena block those bullets.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

MMF Freeway posted:

He's using the orbs to re-roll the item hoping for something super valuable. He gets it, you can see it for a split second, but he accidentally clicks again and re-rolls it back into something useless

Soothing Vapors posted:

He is spamming Ancient Orbs to try to reforge a random unique leather belt into one of the rarest, most powerful items in the game, Headhunter (which is also a leather belt, so same item class). Headhunter is exceedingly rare and difficult to come by these days, so hitting it would be winning the lottery so to speak.

Just before the end of the gif, he hits the miracle Ancient and actually gets Headhunter (the string of skulls looking belt). But he's spamming so fast he clicks again on the Headhunter and reforges it into a completely worthless, different unique leather belt.

Arrhythmia posted:

Using that orb changes an item from one item to another. He got the absolute best result worth a tonne of money and then rolled past it because of muscle memory.

Apoplexy posted:

I think he was trying to make a Headhunter, one of the most expensive items in the game, and he loving over-rolled it (got it and then clicked one more time, thereby losing alllllllllllll that money)

edit: gently caress, three of us at once!

Bahaha, I initially thought he was swapping between belts to orb. That is definitely good stuff.

For anyone that has played Diablo 3, how does this compare? I remember reading about it way back but was playing D3 at the time so I wasn’t about to switch.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

always take born in shadows first imo

The guide I'm following shows Born in Shadows first, so that's what I took. At level 44 and Act 4, that's obviously the only thing I've taken from ascendencies.

I have Volatile Mines which says "Detonating Mines is Instant"

Demolitions Expert is the ascendency which says "100% to Mine arming speed", not 'instant', so I guess it goes from 500ms to 250?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

BitterAvatar posted:

Dudes have 4 ranks (including 0)

0 stars - unranked, not assigned to a group
1 star - Sergeant
2 star - Lieutenant
3 star - Captain

Generally speaking, the Interrogate option puts them in prison for three turns, gives you intelligence towards opening the safehouse, and demotes them one rank. If they were a Sergeant, they become unranked and fall back to not being associated with one of the 4 groups.

Your Bargain (right side) options vary, but the default is Execute them to give Rank +1, so sergeant -> lieut, lieut->capt. This is usually pretty good, because interrogating a captain gives lots more intelligence than a sergeant, but they're also tougher to fight. So the Advanced Strategy would be to interrogate 2-star or 3-star, but not 1-stars, to keep your squads full of guys so you can get lots of rewards.

You can also induce Trust between members (you'll get them showing up to help, so you can get 2-3 kills per encounter/map - this is great if you can survive) and Rivalry (similar to Trust, but they fight against the other dudes)

If you're struggling, I think the 'easy' strategy is to Interrogate your 1-stars to keep things easy, and rank-up the 0-stars. This will usually leave you with fewer dudes inhabiting the safe house for when you fight, though - which means fewer rewards. But if the guys are chaos dunking you, you'd probably enjoy keeping the guys weaker.

Super-advanced mode is making sure the person you want is in the squad you want, because each Master has its own reward for each Squad. I haven't worried about that, except when choosing whether to kick a guy out (he's just temporarily moved to the back of the line, and you get a new dude) - if all his rewards are stuff I don't care about, he gets the boot.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Meme Emulator posted:

The intended solution for that part: When he starts the touhou bullet phase, the statue that was previously animated become a regular statue again. Hide behind it to use it as cover.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
How is the level of the safehouse determined?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

J posted:

The intended solution for that part: When he starts the touhou bullet phase, the statue that was previously animated become a regular statue again. Hide behind it to use it as cover.

Its cool that arc is so ridiculously strong that I didnt have to strategize at all and just melted everything on my first playthrough

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Papercut posted:

How is the level of the safehouse determined?

seems like temples, so an average of the last few maps you fought in

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Yeah I usually roll with pretty strong builds that I looked up somewhere. I decided to play something off meta for my league starter this time (winter orb Inquisitor) and I didn't realize red elder has no much going on in his final phase. Usually I do enough single target damage that he drops dead as soon as he gets trapped

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Lamquin posted:

I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable at the game can help me and my friend out.

We usually try out new character builds per league, but this time we hit a dud - I'm playing Engineering Eternitys "JUGG of All Trades" which is so far working fine.
He's trying out a "Icestorm CI Occultist".

The snag? We both didn't realize just how frustrating the skill Icestorm is visually when it's spread across the entire screen.
Not only does it cover the entire ground in bright white, but it's also raining loads of white stalagmites across the screen and makes horrific sounds while falling. We've had to put on Windows "Night mode" to avoid the eyestrain in the darker areas!

Oh no, thats the build I just started leveling today, and I just logged out right as I got to the right level to use icestorm.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

Devor posted:

1 star - Sergeant
2 star - Lieutenant
3 star - Captain

Generally speaking, the Interrogate option puts them in prison for three turns, gives you intelligence towards opening the safehouse, and demotes them one rank. If they were a Sergeant, they become unranked and fall back to not being associated with one of the 4 groups.

Your Bargain (right side) options vary, but the default is Execute them to give Rank +1, so sergeant -> lieut, lieut->capt. This is usually pretty good, because interrogating a captain gives lots more intelligence than a sergeant, but they're also tougher to fight. So the Advanced Strategy would be to interrogate 2-star or 3-star, but not 1-stars, to keep your squads full of guys so you can get lots of rewards.

You can also induce Trust between members (you'll get them showing up to help, so you can get 2-3 kills per encounter/map - this is great if you can survive) and Rivalry (similar to Trust, but they fight against the other dudes)

If you're struggling, I think the 'easy' strategy is to Interrogate your 1-stars to keep things easy, and rank-up the 0-stars. This will usually leave you with fewer dudes inhabiting the safe house for when you fight, though - which means fewer rewards. But if the guys are chaos dunking you, you'd probably enjoy keeping the guys weaker.

Super-advanced mode is making sure the person you want is in the squad you want, because each Master has its own reward for each Squad. I haven't worried about that, except when choosing whether to kick a guy out (he's just temporarily moved to the back of the line, and you get a new dude) - if all his rewards are stuff I don't care about, he gets the boot.

Yeah I've been having lots of guys show up so I'm usually fighting 2-3 at once, but I also haven't been helping them rank up. Might need to try that out.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Looks like you got shotgunned by that fireball mortar.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Devor posted:

1 star - Sergeant
2 star - Lieutenant
3 star - Captain

I've found it gets more and more difficult to rank up members as you progress because the chart gets covered in Trust links, which gives you Betrayal options instead of Execute whenever trusted members are together.

It might be wise to avoid getting syndicate members to trust one another. The betrayal options usually aren't better than executing them.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

McFrugal posted:

I've found it gets more and more difficult to rank up members as you progress because the chart gets covered in Trust links, which gives you Betrayal options instead of Execute whenever trusted members are together.

It might be wise to avoid getting syndicate members to trust one another. The betrayal options usually aren't better than executing them.

Yeah, I'm at a point where I get 3 guys showing up to every encounter because my board is covered in green string, but I never get to execute anyone so almost everyone is stuck at rank 2. It's a really neat tradeoff.

Syndicate is pretty well designed except for maybe the part where they send chaos damage murder squads after you while your chaos resist is still negative a million. If I could change one thing it would be no intervention until maps

Is Syndicate going core after this? I realize they can't keep adding every mechanic to the game permanently, but this one is actually good

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 13, 2018

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Wednesday night and I'm up to maps. Feels good.

Thursday morning and my most immidiate upgrades are gonna be rings, amulet, and boots. Gloves has Word of Reflection enchant from 1st Lab. I guess I'm never taking off those gloves, just love my buddy too much.

Oh god I gotta sort and vendor my A1-A10 dump tab. Theres nothing of value in it. Its like sorting recyclables. Gotta convert 12 flasks into get those 4 Glassblowers I need to fashion my final flasks.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
a really simple rule of thumb is to always execute unless they're rank 3 and never interrogate rank 1's. you want to have as few free agents as possible to maximize your safehouse rewards

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
So, what does the Scarab economy look like right now? Are there any particular Scarabs that command a pretty good price?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

This is super cool if you're like me and can't keep track of who does what where

DaveWoo posted:

So, what does the Scarab economy look like right now? Are there any particular Scarabs that command a pretty good price?

https://poe.ninja/challenge/scarabs

even poo poo Rusteds are worth an alch or two but any tier having to do with Carto, Div, or Niko is worth a handful of chaos

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 13, 2018

J
Jun 10, 2001

DaveWoo posted:

All the scarabs look to be going up in price right now with gilded carto scarabs being 32c and climbing.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I had a great idea: Herald of Purity in Malachai's Artifice, with a jewel that adds an off-type of elemental damage to minions. Sentinels just do physical damage normally, right?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

DaveWoo posted:

most of the t3 ones are decent value but the map and div card ones are the best for obvious reasons

remember
Nov 23, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

Yeah, I'm at a point where I get 3 guys showing up to every encounter because my board is covered in green string, but I never get to execute anyone so almost everyone is stuck at rank 2. It's a really neat tradeoff.

Syndicate is pretty well designed except for maybe the part where they send chaos damage murder squads after you while your chaos resist is still negative a million. If I could change one thing it would be no intervention until maps

Is Syndicate going core after this? I realize they can't keep adding every mechanic to the game permanently, but this one is actually good

It's confirmed going core. In basically the same way that Delve, Bestiary, and Incursion went core.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

DaveWoo posted:

There's a challenge for using 8/12 of the gilded scarabs so I expect for at least some of them the price will go up a lot. Although they're easier to target-farm than most challenge items so maybe not.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
My question is where the hell are league mechanics gonna go after this. between bestiary, incursion, delve, zana, and betrayal, on top of breaches, abysses, and shrines, maps are so full that after one or two more mechanic inclusions maps are going to feel too complicated. They can't just keep stacking up complexity forever, at some point it's going to be too much to keep track of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jinnigan posted:

My question is where the hell are league mechanics gonna go after this. between bestiary, incursion, delve, zana, and betrayal, on top of breaches, abysses, and shrines, maps are so full that after one or two more mechanic inclusions maps are going to feel too complicated. They can't just keep stacking up complexity forever, at some point it's going to be too much to keep track of.

That's where you're wrong, kiddo

I love seeing an Icon on the atlas and finding out that I have one of them in my stash

Edit: I can't remember which icon is which yet but I love it all