Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
silent car
love the car
so serene parked in my drive-way
it is snowing
now im oh noing
my windows dont go up all the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

quote:

“I could go and buy one of the islands in the Bahamas and, uh, turn it into my personal fiefdom,” he told reporters in 1999 as they observed him taking delivery of a $1 million McLaren F1 sports car. “But I’m much more interested in trying to build and create a new company.” (Musk later crashed the car.)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

by later I think they mean immediately. like he crashed it the day he bought it

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

musk is a loving tool

I hope he reads this thread

you loving suck dude

your lovely tunnel in Los Feliz will never be built and I will show up at every public hearing to protest you

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

A MIRACLE posted:

peter thiel was in the car with him, not wearing a seatbelt

oh what could have been

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

A MIRACLE posted:

And he hadn't gotten insurance on it yet, if I remember right.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
That Wired article is just amazing, amazing. It's crazy to me that people put up with Musk and his poo poo.

quote:

At one meeting Musk, agitated, broke a phone. During another, he noticed that an executive was missing and called him. The man’s wife had recently given birth, and he explained that he was taking time off as she recuperated. Musk was angry. At a minimum, you should be on phone calls, Musk told the man. Having a kid doesn’t prevent you from being on the phone. (A Tesla spokesperson said that while Musk “was once upset that a particular executive did not dial into an important conference call several days after his child was born,” the company would not penalize an employee for taking paternity leave.)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Admiral Ray posted:

That Wired article is just amazing, amazing. It's crazy to me that people put up with Musk and his poo poo.

lmao remember when this came out in like 2014 and he denied it up and down

Bearded Whiteguy
Mar 2, 2018

I APPROPRIATE THE PLIGHT OF OTHER RACES TO FILL THE VOID OF BEING A FAT USELESS FUCK

Admiral Ray posted:

There's so many good and quotable bits in this article. This one might be my favorite:

quote:

As CEO, Musk was often an emotional leader, colleagues say, sometimes tearing up in front of employees when overcome by frustrations or the importance of the firm’s mission. He could also be socially awkward, prickly when others failed to show deference, defensive when corrected. To some he seemed to have a robotic lack of empathy and odd interpersonal mannerisms. “People used to tell me to hunch down lower in my seat during meetings,” one former high-­ranking executive told me. “Elon reacted better to people when he was sitting higher than them.”

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Musk also challenged another quote selected from the book by the Washington Post.

"Of 22 quotes ... 2 need correcting: 1. I strongly support pregnancy leave 2. I've never called myself a samurai."

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Admiral Ray posted:

Even in the article, people fawn over him and the article itself does a back and forth on Musk promoting him both as a popular visionary and a madman. A person who's both utterly obsessed with his own devices but trying to frame it as the future.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Also you should be stealing poo poo like all the time.

Well, I left Kentucky back in '2009
An' went to Reno working on assembly line
The first year they had me putting wheels on Model S
Every day I'd watch them beauties roll by
And sometimes I'd hang my head and cry
Because I always wanted me one that was long and black
One day I devised myself a plan
That should be the envy of most any man
I'd sneak it out of there in a lunchbox in my hand
Now getting caught meant getting fired
But I figured I'd have it all by the time I retired
I'd have me a car worth at least a hundred grand

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Captain_Maclaine posted:

For sure, because no way does a workplace micromanaged that insanely have any kind of handle on the stuff that's actually important. Always leave some nag champa at the scene of the crime.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Musk also challenged another quote selected from the book by the Washington Post.

"Of 22 quotes ... 2 need correcting: 1. I strongly support pregnancy leave 2. I've never called myself a samurai."

pregnancy leave, not parental... :thunk:

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
That article said Tesla was burning $100 million per week at one point. How the gently caress is that even possible?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Kobayashi posted:

That article said Tesla was burning $100 million per week at one point. How the gently caress is that even possible?

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

But seriously it's because they're incompetently managed by a narcissistic fuckhead who insist on impossible things not in an inspirational "put a man on the moon and return him safely to earth" way so much as "I want anti-gravity boots that also mine bitcoins using my bodyheat and are an over-unity device" sorta way.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

loving lol

"He may be a liar, a pig, a Communist, a denier of pregnancy leave, but he is NOT a samurai!"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's also pretty easy to show losses of $100mil per week via little to no income generation and extremely high capital purchases like fancy manufacturing robots and cameras. Also overtime. Lots and lots of overtime.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Admiral Ray posted:

At one meeting Musk, agitated, broke a phone. During another, he noticed that an executive was missing and called him. The man’s wife had recently given birth, and he explained that he was taking time off as she recuperated. Musk was angry. At a minimum, you should be on phone calls, Musk told the man. Having a kid doesn’t prevent you from being on the phone. (A Tesla spokesperson said that while Musk “was once upset that a particular executive did not dial into an important conference call several days after his child was born,” the company would not penalize an employee for taking paternity leave.)

I really like how they try to make it sound like its not a bad thing ("It was DAYS AFTER the baby was born, it was pretty much looking at what college to go to by then"), but at the same time realize it actually is a bad thing ("We don't penalize employees for taking paternity leave").

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Captain_Maclaine posted:

But seriously it's because they're incompetently managed by a narcissistic fuckhead who insist on impossible things not in an inspirational "put a man on the moon and return him safely to earth" way so much as "I want anti-gravity boots that also mine bitcoins using my bodyheat and are an over-unity device" sorta way.

I realized Cave Johnson is a better boss than Musk

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Kobayashi posted:

tesla loses money on every car they sell lol. this has always been the case of course.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

quote:

At work, Musk sometimes seemed almost giddy, occasionally interrupting meetings to insist that his colleagues watch clips of Monty Python episodes on his computer, according to several people. A particular favorite was a skit of aristocrats debating the virtues of words like antelope versus sausage. He would play it more than once, laughing uproariously each time, as his colleagues waited to return to the issues at hand.

There is no loving possibility anymore besides the truth of my conspiracy theory that Musk saw Breaking Bad, thought it would be cool to secretly contact the cartel and offer them a meth distribution deal, banned authorities from visiting his factories thereafter, and then subsequently not only did the sloppiest cover-up job ever but now cannot resist inserting joke references to Breaking Bad at every possible opportunity into everything related to that side project (the alleged shipments he labelled "minerals" from a cartel controlled town of purpose unknown to employees)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Xelkelvos posted:

It's also pretty easy to show losses of $100mil per week via little to no income generation and extremely high capital purchases like fancy manufacturing robots and cameras. Also overtime. Lots and lots of overtime.

lol if you think they get paid overtime

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

quote:

By the way I can say that this is definitely an intentional part of the cycle of abuse, because I had a boss in a lab who was just like this. My boss would ask us to do some "neat" side project that at first sounded useful, and get us to commit to doing the work and to giving regular reports about it. Upon each report they'd purposefully escalate the requirements to be increasingly nonsensical or impossible. The goal was to put stress on the people until a breaking point -- there was no true objective in her mind such as to genuinely make something.

Nor would she have had the skills to make something herself or specify it correctly -- so many of the people who fancy themselves as "managers" don't add any value to what their skilled employees make -- but in her particular case she took it to a farther extreme not for personal gain but out of a sick enjoyment of bullying. Like, people would e-mail her questions about simple things like experimental setup and she would respond back with accusations of insubordination, uncooperation, and threats against visas (by fearmongering about how we're failing the US govt and they're angry about giving us a grant and it's only her intercession for us that's stopping them). My entire time with her was constant abuse over every step of me doing her job for her (teaching), and she would often copy my PhD advisor on e-mails as a scare tactic regardless of whether they had anything to do with it. There was no point besides that she enjoyed it, like 1984 style, the object of power is power, the object of torture is torture.

Eventually most of her workers decided to wash their hands of their own projects (this was academics, so literally giving up their own research), whereas she would stick the "managerial" role on her resume and use that to leverage another mark into joining her. That type of individual, a predator or sociopath or just plain parasite or whatever, thrived in academia because of everyone's attitude of eagerness to impress perceived authority figures (and though she didn't fake credentials like Elon, her position of authority in our lab was made up). But otherwise I recognize so much of her in Elon. They've got the exact same personality disorder, whatever it is. Both found that science environment and played people the same way, but one was born rich and was able to make a much bigger network of abusive relationships due to that advantage, stretching across the world.

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 23:12 on Dec 13, 2018

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lol if you think they get paid

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

yepppp

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kobayashi posted:

Tesla is inherently inefficient company especially when you look at the overall size of the company vs the number of cars actually produced.

I remember reading a comparison on how it was roughly 1/4 efficient compared to similar industry benchmarks.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I would not be able resist spraying Musk with a water bottle when he got in one of his moods.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

A MIRACLE posted:

musk is a loving tool

I hope he reads this thread

you loving suck dude

your lovely tunnel in Los Feliz will never be built and I will show up at every public hearing to protest you

Apparently the city now wants to do the aerial tram instead, which is a huge relief, and also able to actually carry an order of magnitude more than the one-way tunnel. Heck it even can return you from the stadium!

I’m guessing Musk keeps plugging it until an actual press release favoring the other choice or throws some kind of spite-tantrum at parts of the city.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Musk is 100% reading this thread and Teslas reddit sub.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Katt posted:

He's literally too mentally ill to be able to understand or process 90% of the posts here or most honest posts about him.

Try to imagine Trump secretly reading the Trump thread every day. It just doesn't work.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Okan170 posted:

Apparently the city now wants to do the aerial tram instead, which is a huge relief, and also able to actually carry an order of magnitude more than the one-way tunnel. Heck it even can return you from the stadium!

I’m guessing Musk keeps plugging it until an actual press release favoring the other choice or throws some kind of spite-tantrum at parts of the city.

an aerial tram would be sick please tell me this is real

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Katt posted:

That's not healthy, Musk. Work for 40 hours a week and then unplug, you'll do a better job.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

A MIRACLE posted:

an aerial tram would be sick please tell me this is real

https://la.curbed.com/2018/12/6/18129247/dodger-stadium-aerial-tram-metro

Technically it doesn't mean the tunnel is defeated, but the city apparently does "like" this option better. Musk has shown an apparent disinterest in projects once hes been required to undergo environmental review or... make do without public funding. Like the 405 parallel project (that would've blocked the subway expansion on that route, and served his mansions in Bel Air) that was supposed to be imminent was given up on when the cities decided they wouldn't be able to skip the environmental assessment after all, but they were still good to go after that. Suddenly that project was abandoned!

Okan170 has issued a correction as of 23:26 on Dec 13, 2018

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Mystic Mongol posted:

That's not healthy, Musk. Work for 40 hours a week and then unplug, you'll do a better job.

I will never unplug

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Okan170 posted:

https://la.curbed.com/2018/12/6/18129247/dodger-stadium-aerial-tram-metro

Technically it doesn't mean the tunnel is defeated, but the city apparently does "like" this option better. Musk has shown an apparent disinterest in projects once hes been required to undergo environmental review or... make do without public funding. Like the 405 parallel project (that would've blocked the subway expansion on that route, and served his mansions in Bel Air) that was supposed to be imminent was given up on when the cities decided they wouldn't be able to skip the environmental assessment after all, but they were still good to go after that. Suddenly that project was abandoned!

well musk had his employees AstroTurf a public comments meeting about the tunnel at dodger field a few months ago where they said they totally loved the tunnel and we should just skip the environmental review because the tunnels gonna be great. so that checks out

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
Separate Musk topic, but heres some interesting insight into SpaceX courtesy of the EnoughMuskSpam subreddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EnoughMuskSpam/comments/a5wy42/the_wonderful_leadership_of_elon_musk/ebpwy0r/

tregdor3 posted:

There’s a lot of folks there who love it. I think they’re mostly sycophants however. My experience wasn’t typical as I was brought in and pigeon holed pretty much immediately out of school largely because of bad decisions that were made in the early design phases—namely using technologies that no sane person would ever select to do the assigned tasks such as using windows servers to handle mission critical timing tasks.

tregdor3 posted:

When I left, working hours were 60-100hrs/ week. Not that anyone explicitly said this; rather, “just make sure you get your work done” all while being tasked with what a reasonable company would have had 5-6 engineers working. You thus get long hours by default and learn that you need to cut as many corners as possible. It is remarkable they haven’t killed and injured more people than they have.
Most of management are just Elon yes men. They aren’t remarkable in any other way other than that they project confidence. I was always amazed about how little most of the management team knew about space.

A MIRACLE posted:

well musk had his employees AstroTurf a public comments meeting about the tunnel at dodger field a few months ago where they said they totally loved the tunnel and we should just skip the environmental review because the tunnels gonna be great. so that checks out

Yeah, the meeting wasn't far from most of us in the neighborhood- but they only announced the event less than 48 hours beforehand so nobody was really able to come except the gaggle of SpaceX employees.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Did they ever do that public tour of the tunnel that was supposed to happen a couple days ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

nikosoft posted:

Did they ever do that public tour of the tunnel that was supposed to happen a couple days ago?

Of course not.
They never had the licence to do that.