Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
After the alpha I think I am going to buy and play this bideo jame, and if GMG or someone has the usual discount I'm even gonna pre-order it! Was on the fence, "alpha" was kinda neat but maybe a buy later for $25 down the road and run through it but whatevsies I'm kind of itchin for a new game with good graphics and killin mobs so may as well jump in on the ground floor with the big fresh playerbase. I don't think it's gonna be absolutely amazing or that I'll play it for 600 hours but it seems to be a fine video game to play for a while. Crossing my fingers they fix up some of the not terrible but not great mouse support (too fast and flying was weird). Glad to see abilities were on quick cooldowns unlike Destiny 2 where it had commercials showing space wizards flying everywhere but in game was 98% shooting a Halo 1 pistol or a CoD assault rifle.

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

yellow is top tier items (ignore this, it matters to me!!!!)

Yeessss, that's a positive sign from the cosmos! Been running through X-Men Legends 2 and the rare items are yellow there too :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The abilities being on quick cooldowns is what I think really sold me on it. I love being able to just throw them out without worrying about not having it for a giant spawn or something.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Big day today with the stream. 3pm CT for the LOOT stream.

I’ll be doing a recap afterward. I’ll have to watch a delayed stream as I have a meeting I can’t get out of. Such is life.

This poo poo better be good today!!!

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Just curious if people were actually being optimistic about sucking EAs rock hard cock. EA being s fat hairy guy who wears a gold chain and pinky ring and owns a 2001 corvette with “micro transactions” tatted on his gut.
If you buy this game and give money to EA you’re the reason children get cancer.

SnoochtotheNooch fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 13, 2018

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
I'm not only going to suck that fat hairy corporate chode, I'm going to lick EA's poo poo-flaked anus too.

How does that make you feel, friend?

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

Fleetwood Crack posted:

I'm not only going to suck that fat hairy corporate chode, I'm going to lick EA's poo poo-flaked anus too.

How does that make you feel, friend?

That’s owns

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Just curious if people were actually being optimistic about sucking EAs rock hard cock. EA being s fat hairy guy who wears a gold chain and pinky ring and owns a 2001 corvette with “micro transactions” tatted on his gut.
If you buy this game and give money to EA you’re the reason children get cancer.

are you ok

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

are you ok

Yea I’m fine. How are you?

Some days at work, I’ll be busy but then suddenyl it just hits me. “EA loving ruined mass effect.” I fully expect this game to more of the same, horse poo poo cookie cutter of a game with some semi decent matchmaking and controls. The game itself will be trash.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

more like Electronic Farts

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

EA BAD

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Videogames are serious business and you will be first against the wall in the gamer revolution if you side with EA!!!1

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

The below conversation happened recently:

My Friend: I'm done with EA games I think...
Me: Yea man, gently caress them! They ruin every franchise they buy! <insert multi paragraph rant about the evils of Electronic Arts>
My Friend: I meant Early Access games
Me: oh yea, I guess I get that too...
My Friend: but yea, you are right too, gently caress EA!

I figured this thread was the proper place to post it.

That said, I still bought Battlefield V and I will likely buy this too and check it out, the alpha was fun.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Some days at work, I’ll be busy but then suddenyl it just hits me. “EA loving ruined mass effect.” I fully expect this game to more of the same, horse poo poo cookie cutter of a game with some semi decent matchmaking and controls. The game itself will be trash.

My favorite part (and something I genuinely enjoyed) about Mass Effect Andromeda was the combat and this game uses the same engine!

I also enjoyed it a lot when I played the Alpha :shrug:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
People can't always blame everything on EA. I doubt they were the ones who poo poo the bed with Andromeda. They published Mass Effect 2 and 3 as well, remember? EA has owned Bioware since 2007, mates

Bioware holds responsibility there. Their weird lead creatives and managers hold the responsibility there. When you actually listen to the people in charge of these franchises you quickly realize it's their fault for taking the various game series in strange and stupid directions

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 13, 2018

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
If anyone ruined Mass Effect it's Bioware. I'll buy the game if the story is good and it scratches the Diablo loot design. If the reviews, both professional and not, turn out to be junk then so be it.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Read some dang books you nerds, video game stories are always bad

I enjoyed the combat in MEA a ton, which makes me hopeful for this game.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

QuasiQuack posted:

Omg it's 2018 and u still havent played halo

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

QuasiQuack posted:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

QuasiQuack posted:

:same:, all I want is a MEA/ME3 MP style looter shooter with flying and space magic and robosuit dress-up parties. Anyone expecting KotOR-style dialogue and RPG aspects should stay far away.

I'll probably still wait for a sale and for bugs to get worked out but I'm pretty stoked about today's stream.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

All big game companies are loving aids these days. All filled with micros and macros to suck as much cash from you as possible. EA, Activision/Blizzard, Ubi Soft/vivendi.... EA loving ruined Mass Effect, Blizzard ruined mmorpgs.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

I'll never forget how EA locked Casey Hudson in a room with a color palette and told him that he could only pick three colors

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Hating capitalism is pretty loving cool, but it sounds more like some here more specifically hate game companies for making games they don't like, which is.... less cool

Is there actual magic abilities in this game? All I've seen are grenades, mortars and electric shocks.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Proper stoked to see if they can get all the way through the stream this time without it bursting into flames.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

QuasiQuack posted:

Hating capitalism is pretty loving cool, but it sounds more like some here more specifically hate game companies for making games they don't like, which is.... less cool

Is there actual magic abilities in this game? All I've seen are grenades, mortars and electric shocks.

Without capitalism you would not have any of this poo poo to play.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I'll never forgive EA for ruining the pure beauty of Mass Effect Andromeda with all those microtransactions. They really destroyed Bioware's vision that definitely did not have a hilariously mismanaged and chaotic development cycle. Maybe someday all those microtransactions will get patched out and we'll finally be able to experience perfection.

QuasiQuack posted:

I mean they're rpg abilities so they're all kind of magic to begin with. It's handwaved away as "harnessing the ForceAnthem" but there is a class that calls down elemental meteors and constantly flies. There will undoubtedly be buffs/debuffs, healing, and big powerful attacks that you can only use every X seconds. If you want a straight up wizard with a pointy hat casting Fireball, though, look elsewhere.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Peechka posted:

So without capitalism no bad viedo games? Sounds pretty good to me

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Peechka posted:

Lol

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Eastbound Spider posted:

So without capitalism no bad viedo games? Sounds pretty good to me

No good ones either.

You would have one, state owned, "Americas Red Army" FPS shooter.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Without capitalism we would just have Tetris, which sounds pretty good tbh.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

The best selling video game of all time was developed under the USSR Ministry of Foreign Trade

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Tetris is kind of a wash since it wasn't like the developer had support within the USRR.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

QuasiQuack posted:

Video game stories don't have to be good, but they can and should be entertaining.

If Anthem doesn't have a decent story and characters to it, then I don't care how good the combat is, I won't buy it.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
So how was the loot stream?

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kaysette posted:

:same:, all I want is a MEA/ME3 MP style looter shooter with flying and space magic and robosuit dress-up parties. Anyone expecting KotOR-style dialogue and RPG aspects should stay far away.

have you considered Warframe because you just described warframe

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I kind of want to get into Warframe just for that reason but all the suits look like rip off bayformers to me.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Monolith. posted:

So how was the loot stream?

P cool (phoneposting in the middle of poo poo and :effort: but yeah was cool, gear does stuff, like you can make different builds that play differently)

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Cinnamon Bear posted:

have you considered Warframe because you just described warframe

I’ve thought about it with that big expansion that just came out. Maybe that’ll scratch my itch.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Monolith. posted:

If anyone ruined Mass Effect it's Bioware.

Yeah, they really poo poo the bed in design after the third one:
  • Jetpacks that remove the purpose of Cover/DodgeRoll
  • Open World Environments with nothing in them
  • Broken Melee System (When compared to 3)
  • Overly complex weapon build system
  • Local-Host Multiplayer for lag-induced fun
  • Lame Abilities despite ME3:MP having tons of fun ones.
  • Dumb Ability-Switch system designed for consoles (Because gently caress PC users)

All Bioware had to do was insert a new story using all the weapon/ability assets from ME3+ME3:MP and instead they decided to remake the entire system for the N'th time.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Tetrabor posted:

All Bioware had to do was insert a new story using all the weapon/ability assets from ME3+ME3:MP and instead they decided to remake the entire system for the N'th time.

Yeah.....and no one would have mind! Just add some new classes/combos with some new weapons and fan fav classic. Every one would have eaten it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

All right so here we go. Here’s some comments from people about the loot stream:

quote:

So, the stream just ended and whoever is familiar with either, or both of these games, namely Diablo and The Division, will recognize the unquestionable similiarities in terms of how loot is obtained, the RNG and the stat/attributes on them.

Here is a breakdown on how it's taking inspiration of both of these games.

Diablo: First and foremost the difficulty scaling. You start off with access to 3 base difficulties and unlock 3 more down the road. The higher the difficulty, the higher the odds to get higher rarity loot. Loot is not based on the activity, it's more global(though there might be exceptions, they didn't clarify that specifically), but generally you can get any drop anywhere with higher odds on higher difficulties and within those difficulties you get higher odds for more challenging activities.
The Division: Higher rarity drops have so called Inscriptions(basically bonus attributes, like +% explosion damage) on them, which are rolled randomly when you get them and are selected out of a specific pool of possible Inscriptions, based on the gear type. These are on random drops in the world, but also on crafted gear, so crafting the same item over and over will net you different variations of Inscriptions to cater towards specific playstyles and/or builds.

And then generally speaking, each item exists in several rarities, with the rarity influencing base stats, as well as additional Inscriptions. Uncommon items have 1 Inscription, while Masterworks for example have 4 Inscriptions. There is no plan right now to let you reroll, or alter Inscriptions, whatever the item comes with, is what you get.

As you can see it's VERY similiar to how Diablo works, while especially the Inscriptions and crafting works almost exactly like The Division. You can trust me on that, I played both of these games for hundreds of hours.

So, how do you feel/think about that? Is it what you wanted/hoped for, or is there things you would have liked to be done differently?

quote:

I'll start this post with some definitions I got from the stream so we're all on the same playing field. Some of my information might be a slight bit off because the stream just ended when I began to write this post and I'll try and edit to correct anything that is incorrect if someone points it out!

Definitions
1: Components: These are essentially your armor/accessory pieces that gives you bonuses to your abilities/damage/passives.

Components can have a max of 2 inscriptions on them.

We get 6 components we can use.

2: Inscriptions: These are secondary stats that are tied to components/equipment that can give bonuses such as +explosive damage or +hover time. The rarity of the gear will determine how many inscriptions are on the gear.

They said that there are approximately 100 inscriptions.

"Inscriptions on components are limited to a max of 2. So you can have 12 total inscriptions from components alone. Inscriptions on weapons and gear go up to 4. So you can have 20 total inscriptions from weapons and gear. That means, a grand total of 32 inscriptions that you can have." ​ (Thanks to /u/Alizaea for the updated info.)

"Also worth mentioning the different "pools" for inscriptions. There's a primary damage pool, a traversal pool, a utility pool and who knows how many more. Point is, when you get loot it won't have 3 damage inscriptions, it'll have one from each of the different pools. So you'll can roll a gun with +10% assault rifle damage, +10% hover speed, and +10% pickup radius, but not one with +10% assault rifle damage, 10% ice damage, and +10% damage with shotguns."

"Inscriptions have pools they belong to. So there's a primary dmg pool with say 24 inscriptions, a utility pool with another bunch of inscriptions, a traversal pool etc. So a masterworked item can have like 4 inscriptions, each from a different pool."

(Thanks to /u/Garginator850 for this updated info.)

"One other note, Masterwork/Legendary had "orange text" which functioned as a static inscription specific to that named item which was on top of the 4 randomized inscriptions."

Pictures:

One thing that I personally want to see is the option to Recalibrate one modifier a la The Division. We have up to 6 RNG rolls on some items. I’m also a huge Division fan soooooooo.

But anyway, this stream was good to me. I’m happy with the direction of things and can’t wait for more.