Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a video game writer talking that way about the series that’s a master class in game design is very lol.

someone else on twitter said maybe he should be complaining about rear end creed or the arkham games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Not everything has to be explained. The minutia of under the hood mechanics are not really spelled out in other games either, Souls fans just care too much.

Dark Souls 3 quests are more plentiful and more obvious, which is the only reason people complained, these players would probably have missed out on the existence of quests altogether in something like Demon's souls and that is cool, it gives you more reasons to keep playing the game after finishing it.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Biomute posted:

Not everything has to be explained. The minutia of under the hood mechanics are not really spelled out in other games either, Souls fans just care too much.

Dark Souls 3 quests are more plentiful and more obvious, which is the only reason people complained, these players would probably have missed out on the existence of quests altogether in something like Demon's souls and that is cool, it gives you more reasons to keep playing the game after finishing it.

I love Dark Souls and Demon's Souls but the fact that there are horribly explained stats on the paper doll in each Soulsbourne game is still the utmost bullshit. A person deserves to know what a mechanic does if they're investing time in it, full stop.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dark Souls 3 had some really sloppy event flags. You can miss out on the climax of Siegward's quest by just going to Irithyll dungeon and trip an invisible trigger, Greirat can only be saved on his second trip if you're clairvoyant or read a guide, and Yoel dies for no reason if you don't do his task before a certain point which can cut you off from an entire ending.

It would have been better if these side quests weren't tied to progression of the main quest because their fail-states are so arbitrary.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

there aren't even that many games that you can say were really influenced by souls. there's nioh, lords of the fallen, and the surge. i wish there were more games influenced by them, they've pretty much ruined games for me.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Eh a lot of action rpg combat in general has definitely moved more in the Souls direction overall. Just poorly.

As someone who the series refused to click for, it is a bit annoying and I kind of get what Walker's alluding to though he of course has to do it in the most assholish way possible.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

what's fresh in their mind and why they're posting that take in the first place is probably Darksiders 3, which pivoted into cloning Dark Souls to the detriment of the game.

it's still a silly take because its not like games where you Die A Lot that market themselves on difficulty only started with Dark Souls, I'm pretty sure games like I Wanna Be The Guy and Super Meat Boy predate it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CYBEReris posted:

what's fresh in their mind and why they're posting that take in the first place is probably Darksiders 3, which pivoted into cloning Dark Souls to the detriment of the game.

it's still a silly take because its not like games where you Die A Lot that market themselves on difficulty only started with Dark Souls, I'm pretty sure games like I Wanna Be The Guy and Super Meat Boy predate it.

Yeah, but those are platformers and no one cares about those.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mokinokaro posted:

Eh a lot of action rpg combat in general has definitely moved more in the Souls direction overall. Just poorly.

As someone who the series refused to click for, it is a bit annoying and I kind of get what Walker's alluding to though he of course has to do it in the most assholish way possible.

the problem then is with people aping something poorly than with the original inspiration.

and that's definitely a take i'd agree - i wish people had taken the right lessons or at incorporated those lessons properly from the series. we'd be getting a lot better games if they did.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 14, 2018

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Internet Personality + Review Thread 3.0+1.0: You can (not) discourse Query Form:

Ticket ID # 32166-QC
Ticket Submission Date: 12/14/2018 09:24:13

Who is [John Walker] and what makes [him] notable enough that I should care about the [tweet] [he] made about [Dark Souls]?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he is the senior editor of internet video gaming website rock paper shotgun.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Well then, this man is no Tim Rogers; I bet he didn't even live a single year in Japan, much less ten.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Bonaventure posted:

Internet Personality + Review Thread 3.0+1.0: You can (not) discourse Query Form:

Ticket ID # 32166-QC
Ticket Submission Date: 12/14/2018 09:24:13

Who is [John Walker] and what makes [him] notable enough that I should care about the [tweet] [he] made about [Dark Souls]?

This is the thread where several posts per page can be regularly dedicated to the tweets of a gaming YouTuber. Not his videos. Just his tweets.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

CYBEReris posted:

I think the point isn't that the games exist, but that soulslikes are super trendy now, so rather than being a niche for enthusiasts of that genre, they're becoming a main genre type. Which can be pretty frustrating if you're not a fan of the genre and/or just want more variety. And also because the enthusiasts of soulslikes are pretty obnoxious.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean so has Batman Arkham Asylum games but I don’t see people being giant babies about that.

Genres go through changes and what’s popular fluctuates so stop being a giant baby and accept their may be times when the genre you like picks a play style you don’t care for.

Or whine on Twitter about it, either or

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the problem is they aren't really a genre. you have people making games or games journos saying something's "like dark souls" but these games aren't actually like dark souls

there's a twitter mocking this phenomenonhttps://twitter.com/xmeetsdarksouls?lang=en

you have maybe five games outside of from software's that could properly be called soulslikes.

the "git gud" type folks are obnoxious (especially because the souls games are punishing not hard, i'm terrible at games and beat them all after bouncing off the first one a number of times) but they're incredibly well designed and i wish more games would actually be influenced by them instead of just saying they are.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 14, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Puppy Time posted:

I think the point isn't that the games exist, but that soulslikes are super trendy now, so rather than being a niche for enthusiasts of that genre, they're becoming a main genre type. Which can be pretty frustrating if you're not a fan of the genre and/or just want more variety. And also because the enthusiasts of soulslikes are pretty obnoxious.

oh no some games that I don't like are popular

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Andrast posted:

I mean one thing is true gamers are entitled fuckers on everything but the stuff that matters

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

john walker is the dark souls of internet personalities

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

there was some game i was looking at in the store recently who's entire selling point was being Dark Souls But A Shooter, I want to say it was just called Immortal or something

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Andrast posted:

I mean, given that popular stuff tends to flood the market, and lead to companies focusing on the popular thing instead of anything else, it's kind of unenjoyable if you're not a fan of it.

I'm personally not especially affected because I like genres that have never been super popular so almost nobody today bothers to make them anyway, but it's kind of naive to assume that game publishers are not going to lean into trendchasing and thus not putting resources into anything else. .

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

John Walker makes me want some whisky. Due to both the close proximity of his name to a popular brand of the good stuff and the sheer irritance of his way too prickly tweets. He's kinda the best example of something that can be rather annoyingly prevalent - people thinking that just because they get paid to cover something that automatically makes their opinions, and by virtue of that themselves, superior to everyone else who doesn't, and especially to people who do stuff off their own backs. This in turn contributes to a rather unhelpful atmosphere that pits journalists and gamers, journalists and YouTubers and so on against each other, which is kinda screwed up and backwards.

I just don't see what satisfaction he gets out of tweeting the way he does. Like, what's the point? Is there actually any gratification to feeling like you've "owned" these random people on a freaking 280-character social media platform?

ANYWAY, to take it back to some more content (even if it is mine), I did this a couple days ago and was pretty proud of it actually. It's one of the better smaller videos I've released in a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3ynWxjoCSA

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Dark Souls 3 had some really sloppy event flags. You can miss out on the climax of Siegward's quest by just going to Irithyll dungeon and trip an invisible trigger, Greirat can only be saved on his second trip if you're clairvoyant or read a guide, and Yoel dies for no reason if you don't do his task before a certain point which can cut you off from an entire ending.

It would have been better if these side quests weren't tied to progression of the main quest because their fail-states are so arbitrary.

Life is arbitrary.

Who's to say you're not meant to lose Greirat in most of your playthroughs? Why are you entitled to a particular ending? The mystery of the game is why it is good, and it would be even better if wikis and guides did not exist.

Vanderdeath posted:

I love Dark Souls and Demon's Souls but the fact that there are horribly explained stats on the paper doll in each Soulsbourne game is still the utmost bullshit. A person deserves to know what a mechanic does if they're investing time in it, full stop.

The games are good because they encourage exploration by not spoon-feeding the players. This is as true for the mechanics as it is for the plot. You don't get to know if a spell is good until you buy it, and if you want to know what the hell is going on you're going to have to learn to read between the lines. Trying to work out world tendency on your own is an amazing callback to the complicated and inscrutable games of the mid 90's. I guess it's possible to miss the point and want it to only be a sword-fighting dueling game where you exploit the mechanics as best you can to win, that is possible, but someone like that would probably be better off playing a fighting game.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 14, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Biomute posted:

Life is arbitrary.

Who's to say you're not meant to lose Greirat in most of your playthroughs? Why are you entitled to a particular ending? The mystery of the game is why it is good, and it would be even better if wikis and guides did not exist.

I'm pretty sure a game has to actually be good to be this smug, though

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

I just don't see what satisfaction he gets out of tweeting the way he does. Like, what's the point? Is there actually any gratification to feeling like you've "owned" these random people on a freaking 280-character social media platform?

Six years ago I played league of legends with five of my friends. We mostly did ARAM and had a middling win rate.

But to get to the point I would trash talk the other teams constantly despite being the actual worst player on mine. Everyone else was too busy concentrating on being legitimately good in ther role and communicating with each other to bother typing out master level bon mots into the ether. Because unlike me my friends were super secure in themselves and knew how to take a hit without losing their composure.

Think that but instead of a game it's real life.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Biomute posted:

Life is arbitrary.

The games are good because they encourage exploration by not spoon-feeding the players. This is as true for the plot as it is for the mechanics. You don't get to know if a spell is good until you buy it, and if you want to know what the hell is going on you're going to have to learn to read between the lines. Trying to work out world tendency on your own is an amazing callback to the complicated and inscrutable games of the mid 90's. I guess it's possible to miss the point and want it to only be a sword-fighting dueling game where you exploit the mechanics as best you can to win, that is possible, but someone like that would probably be better off playing a fighting game.

between this and your stance on PDFs you just get hard over the thought of things being inaccessible don't you

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/shaun_jen/status/1073631910516146179

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Alaois posted:

between this and your stance on PDFs you just get hard over the thought of things being inaccessible don't you

I think desire is probably more about wanting then having, yeah, but also wood just gives me wood.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 14, 2018

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Nobody deserves that horrible fate.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Biomute posted:

Life is arbitrary.

The games are good because they encourage exploration by not spoon-feeding the players. This is as true for the mechanics as it is for the plot. You don't get to know if a spell is good until you buy it, and if you want to know what the hell is going on you're going to have to learn to read between the lines. Trying to work out world tendency on your own is an amazing callback to the complicated and inscrutable games of the mid 90's. I guess it's possible to miss the point and want it to only be a sword-fighting dueling game where you exploit the mechanics as best you can to win, that is possible, but someone like that would probably be better off playing a fighting game.

There is a clash, though. I love exploring DS3 and maybe because I haven't played the others and don't know what they are reusing, every zone feels amazing. But because I looked around so much, I apparently hosed all my quests because they had to be triggered/advanced before I got to Arbitrary Point Gamma. The next time I send Greyrat out, he -will- die, because I already missed the encounters with the NPCs that could save him. So exploring actually borks your quest progression. People tell me there's this Patches NPC that seels cool loot, but i never got him to spawn anywhere.

It's small stuff, but it builds. Still really enjoying it, but I feel I could be liking it 30% more with only, say, 5% less obtuse lack of clarity.

Also, has there really been this plague of Souls-clones releases? Other than Lords of the Fallen, I can't think of other titles doing the same formula.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sephyr posted:

Also, has there really been this plague of Souls-clones releases? Other than Lords of the Fallen, I can't think of other titles doing the same formula.

there's lords of the fallen, the surge (same guys as lords), nioh, and i guess darksiders 3 but i haven't played it. it's more that people keep comparing games to dark souls for fairly arbitrary reasons like difficulty so it creates an environment where folks think everything is cribbing from the souls games.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

It should totally be a jumpcut from some dramatic youtube clip with big music to Shaun in mid-sentence telling us about context for the so-called decline of the Roman empire back to the dramatic youtube clip.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

I was gonna plug this last night but forgot! :P

These games are all my poo poo! Little disappointed that Darkman missed the cut but happy to see Aliens up there. (I had the CPC version and my friends and I would play it with the lights off and a sheet draped over us and the screen for maximum darkness and that loving motion sensor bleep would scare the poo poo out of us every time!)

Also happy to see that Gunhed was a film that other people saw. I was beginning to beleive that I had the only copy to exist!

Also I played Big Trouble in Little China to death! I genuinely loved that game! gently caress the haters!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

there's lords of the fallen, the surge (same guys as lords), nioh, and i guess darksiders 3 but i haven't played it. it's more that people keep comparing games to dark souls for fairly arbitrary reasons like difficulty so it creates an environment where folks think everything is cribbing from the souls games.

It also inspired Salt and Sanctuary, Dark Maus, and Titan Souls, though some of those add plenty to differentiate themselves.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

KayTee posted:

Also happy to see that Gunhed was a film that other people saw. I was beginning to beleive that I had the only copy to exist!

just you and Front Line Assembly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO5fLapFnA0

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CYBEReris posted:

It also inspired Salt and Sanctuary, Dark Maus, and Titan Souls, though some of those add plenty to differentiate themselves.

i also forgot hollow knight.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It’s weird that people are calling Darksiders 3 in particular derivative for taking cues from Metroid and Dark Souls instead of taking cues from Zelda and God of War like the first two games, tbqh.

I am kinda sick of corpse runs though, I think it’s honestly the weakest aspect of Souls gameplay. Getting sent back to a checkpoint is punishing enough, losing my souls just makes me feel like garbage and want to turn off the game

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 14, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Was The Surge good? LOTF had an awful rep, and while I heard that it was a step up, I didn't know whether that meant it had stepped up all the way to 'worthwhile game'.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Andrast posted:

Me when I see a new Senran Kagura game is coming soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

CYBEReris posted:

It's a shame, while I didn't care too much for the original Darksiders, I respected their effort to make a decent 3D Zelda clone.

CYBEReris posted:

I'd say the bullshit hard platformers are a different beast entirely. If you want earlier games that compare to Dark Souls, go with Piranha Bytes' games. Get caught by a guard at the start of Risen? Get press ganged into the midgame.