Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Right, Doom and Wolfenstein New Order it is for the princely sum of 12.50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Man, now I need to track down the best Christmas Doom WADs for the holidays.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

henpod posted:

Yeah, that's the ticket. Enjoy, do drop by to tell us what you think.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Will do! Finishing up bulletstorm which is a hoot, then I will have to pick which one to start with first. I think Wolfenstein...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Someone either in this thread or the Wolf2 thread mentioned that the game is more fun when played on a lower difficulty, and I have to agree. Wolf 2 is the type of game where I just want to run around and shotgun everything in the face. You can't really do that in Wolf2 unless you drop the difficulty down, because your dude is actually pretty soft unlike in DOOM.

Meanwhile, I found DOOM more fun on UV and Nightmare.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I can usually do at least OK in shooters but literally had to play through Wolf2 on the lowest difficulty of 7.

The 7th difficulty is only playable after beating the game once, and involves playing through on difficulty 6 without ever dying. There's a bronze trophy gating the Plat tied to this.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

henpod posted:

Ok lots of accolades for Doom there. The first Wolfenstein is there for a fiver, so I guess I should grab that?

DOOM, The New Order and The New Colossus are three of the very best FPS games on the console. DOOM is legendary. I have nothing bad to say about it. TNO is a really well done modern Wolfenstein. Strong characters, an engaging story, great level design, fun gunplay. TNC has some pacing issues but I loved it. It’s a solid sequel to TNO. The story and character interactions make up for all of its downsides.

e: just saw what you bought, good choices! Have fun :)

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Someone either in this thread or the Wolf2 thread mentioned that the game is more fun when played on a lower difficulty, and I have to agree. Wolf 2 is the type of game where I just want to run around and shotgun everything in the face. You can't really do that in Wolf2 unless you drop the difficulty down, because your dude is actually pretty soft unlike in DOOM.

Meanwhile, I found DOOM more fun on UV and Nightmare.

Doom is designed to be played as fast as you can, and getting right up in enemies faces. It's a run-and-gun game on speed. Wolfenstein feels like you're supposed to take a more cautious approach to situations, often incorporating stealth and quiet enemy takedowns. I think this is the main reason why people didn't like Wolfenstein 2 as much, because they were expecting more Doom's style of gameplay. Plus the initial trailer made it seem this way, with loud music, explosions, and duel-weilding automatic shotguns right up in enemies faces.

univbee posted:

I can usually do at least OK in shooters but literally had to play through Wolf2 on the lowest difficulty of 7.

The 7th difficulty is only playable after beating the game once, and involves playing through on difficulty 6 without ever dying. There's a bronze trophy gating the Plat tied to this.

I played through on the 4th difficulty setting, and while I died a lot, it still was nowhere as frustrating as playing some of the earlier CoD games on Veteran. The fact that they tied a trophy (let alone a bronze one) to getting through the hardest difficulty on a single life is hilarious to me. The first game had a fairly easy platinum to achieve, whereas this one is like "yeah, gently caress you. Let's see you try and get this one rear end in a top hat!"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I haven't played Wolfenstein 2 since I rented it shortly after buying a PS4 since the games showed up after the console did and I'm horribly impatient but I hope they've made the game better about letting you know you're getting shot, because that was a real problem I had two years ago. I know its been getting patches but I have no idea what they fixed because PS4 tells you nothing and it's surprisingly hard to find any of that info with my level of google skills. I also found myself getting lost on where to go, because I was playing things like Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted, Shadow of War, XCOM 2 and Ratchet and Clank. Games that all either have a bright polygon showing you the direction you need to go/ one actual path to follow and one side path/an aggressive hint system that doesn't want you getting frustrated if you take less than a minute to figure out the puzzle.

I did find situations where I'd get done killing people, run through collecting more weapons and ammo and then continue running around trying to find where I was supposed to go. These are my experiences with the game, so you know what to be on guard for if you decide to buy it. Lemme know how it goes, because if it got improved maybe I'll rent it again.

In new complaints, I can't believe only the Dwarf in Dragon's Crown can through people. It just feels so off to not be able to do the same for everyone. The giant boulders being Dwarf exclusive would be fine but it still just feels off to me to not be able to pick anyone up as at least the Fighter or Amazon.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

henpod posted:

So good. Wolf New Order is incredible

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Someone either in this thread or the Wolf2 thread mentioned that the game is more fun when played on a lower difficulty, and I have to agree.

Yeah I don't usually bother with difficulty settings but Wolf 2 was ridiculous

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

Wolf2 was a real regret purchase for me personally b/c
I liked the characters and levels and weapons in 1 better
I died too much
The cutscenes are over half the game length drowning cool moments in a lot of bad soliloquy
And theres no boss

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

henpod posted:

Battlefield 4 is £3.30 right now, I'm quite tempted but wondering whether or not I will get in and leave because it feels out of date. Does anyone still play this? Does it hold up?

Also, finished bulletstorm just now. Fun, balls to the walls action game, fun surprise for sure.

There are plenty of people playing BF4 on PS4 and PC. If you can grab the DLC if you didn't when it was free some time ago, it's worth having even if most people play vanilla maps nowadays. With BFV having a lot of problems I've seen people coming back to BF4 and BF1 so it may be a good moment to jump in.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Do idiots still go nuts for that Jones Soda nuka quantum, I got a couple bottles for retail when they were being scalped

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

wow the white palace in hollow knight is some horseshit

idk how to feel about this game. I like parts but man I do not understand all the praise it gets at all

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Manatee Cannon posted:

idk how to feel about this game. I like parts but man I do not understand all the praise it gets at all

Right there with ya.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

I LOVED it until about 30 hrs in when I realised how godawful the fast travel is. Tied with God of War for the most awful fast travel system in games. Potentially worse.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

Imo its praiseworthy for the value cause its such a huge above average game for 15$. Ignoring that aspect theres certainly better games in the genre

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it is a lot of value for the price, and I like the art style a lot (wish bloodstained did it like this instead of making a 2.5d monstrosity). but it can be so annoying

the white palace feels like they wanted a super meat boy area but they clearly do not understand the value of good check points. well that's a problem with the game as a whole really, but it's super annoying here

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ElwoodCuse posted:

Do idiots still go nuts for that Jones Soda nuka quantum, I got a couple bottles for retail when they were being scalped

I get that they're idiots for being obsessed with videogame cola but it's a bit overboard to scalp them for it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

RareAcumen posted:

I haven't played Wolfenstein 2 since I rented it shortly after buying a PS4 since the games showed up after the console did and I'm horribly impatient but I hope they've made the game better about letting you know you're getting shot, because that was a real problem I had two years ago
It only came out just over a year ago

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Real hurthling! posted:

Imo its praiseworthy for the value cause its such a huge above average game for 15$. Ignoring that aspect theres certainly better games in the genre

This is pretty spot on.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Real hurthling! posted:

Wolf2 was a real regret purchase for me personally b/c
I liked the characters and levels and weapons in 1 better
I died too much
The cutscenes are over half the game length drowning cool moments in a lot of bad soliloquy
And theres no boss

I thought the story was a step back too. Like it didn't really seem to know what it wanted to say and I thought the story just ended up being bland poo poo by the end.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The first person decapitation scene in Wolf 2 genuinely shocked me, that was ballsy and hilarious

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
wolf2 had its cathartic moments but fewer than i would have liked and all the scatological humor did it a disservice

also what the hell was up with everything about spesh's plan/death and the subsequent ambush, it's so stupid and arbitrary that it's like a cut from a rejected draft that somehow weaseled its way back into the finished script

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The game felt like they had a few cool ideas for set pieces (The movie shoot, the Nazi parade, the old farmhouse) and had absolutely no idea how to put them together

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
playing yakuza 4. its good.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The more I think about TNC the more I like it honesty. But to be fair I was in love with it the entire way through and was surprised to see some people disliked it. I get it but the game worked out for me. I just wish it was 2-3 hours longer with the pacing adjusted.

@Hollow Knight chat: I would’ve been way more into it if it was more ds Castlevania in the gameplay vs soulslike. It’s a good game though so I’ll end up giving it any other go. The graphics, sound and animations are incredible. Games with melancholy atmospheres make me melt :swoon:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

univbee posted:

Here are the two types of PS4 Pro

For the top kind, you want this cable (with the right wall end for your country)

This cable has three prongs which is typical for these types of cables. Most consoles, including the PS4 Pro, don't have a ground pin and generally come with a 2-prong version of the cable, but a 3-prong cable will work totally fine and is probably easier to find since they're generally for desktop PC's which universally have the ground pin.

For the newer models, you want this cable (again with the right wall end for your country)

Eh I have model that i guess is in between? CUH-7116B. Would the 3 prong work for this?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Ulio posted:

Eh I have model that i guess is in between? CUH-7116B. Would the 3 prong work for this?

All models but the newest ones have the "kettle" cord (3 prong). Including yours.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Lambert posted:

All models but the newest ones have the "kettle" cord (3 prong). Including yours.

Sorry I didn't understand so mine is 3 prong or 2 prong?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Ulio posted:

3-prong, this one.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ulio posted:

Yes. If you have a desktop PC you can straight-up borrow that cord.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ulio posted:

You can use a 3-prong or a 2-prong cable, makes no difference at all for the PS4 Pro.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

univbee posted:

You can use a 3-prong or a 2-prong cable, makes no difference at all for the PS4 Pro.

I think that person meant which type of cable, the bulky or the lobey one.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lambert posted:

I think that person meant which type of cable, the bulky or the lobey one.

Oh. Yeah, you want it to have the bigger kettle end, but if it has 3 or 2 prongs that doesn’t matter.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

drat, can't believe Yoko Taro thought he would get away with this.

Akuma posted:

It only came out just over a year ago

Oh god, I've only had this thing for one year? Jesus, I could've swore I had it longer. Well, my bad, I'm bad at keeping my life remembered.

Oxxidation posted:

wolf2 had its cathartic moments but fewer than i would have liked and all the scatological humor did it a disservice

also what the hell was up with everything about spesh's plan/death and the subsequent ambush, it's so stupid and arbitrary that it's like a cut from a rejected draft that somehow weaseled its way back into the finished script

They made a plan and it didn't work. It's just like what happened in Star Wars The Last Jedi.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.

Tei posted:

I tried to play Skyrim VR, but I never walked too far. Is just slow in VR.

Isn’t it the same walk speed? I never noticed it being slow.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s definitely the same with the DS4. I never tried the move controller way.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Guillermus posted:

Today is a special day gaming-wise for me. I got my first (non handheld) Sony console exactly two years ago as I never owned a PSX, PS2 or PS3.

For me, Bloodborne was the system seller. Something that I never expected is to play games like Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War and Yakuza 0. When I first got the PS4 I thought "oh hey, Bloodborne and maybe some Dark Souls 2 since it still has people playing it". Other games like Until Dawn to play with my wife, Titanfall 2, Nioh , TLoU or Nier:A (still working on route A) made this console the best purchase I've done in a long time.

My first playstation (aside from my old rear end PSP 2000) is today 2 years old. And what two years in gaming. I've beat more games on my PS4 in these two years than on my PC in five.

-Bloodborne: I have like 10 or 11 characters, one of them a full 99ARC I used for my only platinum.
-Uncharted 1, 2, 3 and 4
-God of War 3
-God of War
-Horizon Zero Dawn
-Yakuza 0
-Until Dawn
-Killzone Shadow Fall
-The Order 1886
-Doom
-Titanfall 2
-The Last of Us
-Dark Souls 1, 2 and 3
-Diablo 3 (put a hundred hours if not more on it)

Working on Nier:A, Nioh, No Man's Sky, Salt and Sanctuary, Ys Origins, The Witcher 3, Metro Redux (beat it on PC and now on PS4) with MGSV and Just Cause 3 on backlog.

Played A LOT of mp games too! Destiny 1, Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, Alienation...

Videogames are good! happy b-day and more to come!

Same. It's pretty amazing.

Also can we argue again about how Agro is the best horse? Seriously, I tried it yesterday, you literally just steer them a little when you need to go in that specific general direction. Otherwise, you can do the sick back + X and make Agro rear up on their hind legs and bust rear end onto the next colossus, little input needed. Or, you can be a trick rider, and stand on him while shooting arrows at blue tailed lizards.

Also, I don't know how I feel about playing Kiwami now, I was super excited before the last few chapters, but then I realized in Kiwami I'm not going be playing as Majima. This really blows, and I do like Kiryu, he's got just as many funny scenes in 0 as Kiryu, but the last few chapters made me actually really care about Majima as a character. I'm kind of gutted, tbh.. I want a Yakuza -1 with only ponytail Majima doing similar poo poo, maybe it can tell the story of how him and his bro (who we never really see in 0, right?) were up to back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I like the fast travel points in Hollow Knight. They're far enough apart from each other to be meaningful when you discover one, but close enough that you can get to any point on the map in less than a few minutes. Also adds to the overall feel of exploring a vast unknowable cave system, lots of fast travel would cheapen that feeling for me. The whole atmosphere is what HK absolutely excels at. I also personally love the combat and the boss fights are right up my alley. I don't just love this game because it was cheap, it's 100% worth loving at any price.

Super Meat Boy section was definitely the worst part of the game, but the blow was softened when I realized I could setup my gear to not have to worry about limited attempts and I had a lot more fun with it after that.

My biggest complaint about the game is that sometimes the background and foreground don't have different enough values and they blend together a bit. It can become tough to tell if something is a platform I can stand on or just background decoration.