Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tired Moritz posted:

luckily for the scum team, I am not.

Of course, when I was first reading it, I felt bad and thought it was ya know, relatable day 1 lynching problems. But I don't really know Solus's meta or temperament so I can't be definitely 100% clear. It really could be just Scum Solus getting frustrated and opting out. I want to see IcePhoenix make more posts, but if I have to say who was the scum replacement (if there is one), it would probably be BK than Solus.

Wow there's enough hedging here to make a fantastic maze! I also still don't see or understand how the comparison to bk is substantiated since he only talks about solus.

Murmur Twin posted:

Oooh actually as suss as I am on TM I gotta ##vote FL. She:

- voiced suspicion on Humalong (one of the players scum Merk was pushing) and TM (a lurker at the time who I also happen to think is scum)
- chose to vote Humalong and was satisfied with her vote
- claimed to that think Merk was probably town

Like if I'm going to vote strictly based on what we learned from Merk's flip I feel like it almost has to be FL.

OK bed for real now.

(typo corrected with mod permission)

This is interesting as I had forgotten the town call on merk. I had a pretty strong town read on FL for admittedly meta reasons (would a scum FL come in as hot as she did on day 1 in their first game in a while) but I see your point here. That being said I still feel like the rest of their D1 posting, town read on merk aside, was fine from memory? How early did that town read get made by FL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Bastardly posted:

I mean just look at this.

A dying scum merk list with two towns in the first two entries (I put Humalong squarely in my most likely town category), and then what I believe to be a hedgy bus on Sol. My logic there is as follows: This list is going to feature mainly towns in order to establish a pattern when merk's inevitable flip betrays merk as scum. The Solus entry into the list not first nor second (assuming the list is ranked from most to least scum) but third, and with an "uncertain" question mark. I think the scum intention is for the towns reading this list to follow the line of thought that "well if merk flipped scum {not to mention the additional benefit of Toal flipping town} then that must mean this list is full of towns" thus exonerating Sol.

Perhaps my logic is stupid and/or flawed, but this is were I'm at.

This post and the others that directly follow it from dick are making me feel pretty good about him, they seem to be coming from a genuine place of wanting to puzzle out what happened in day 1 as a replacement.

jimmydalad posted:

Are you being wilfully ignorant or did you miss the follow-up posts from DB?

Alongside that, if I was scum, why would I be one of the first people to move my vote back onto Merk and refuse to vote Solus? It would be much easier to just throw my vote on Solus and say I was going to bed and not move my vote. It was late at night in the UK at deadline.

Ugh more if I was scum defenses, this sucks. I agree with the fact that you were an early merk vote but using it as your first excuse isn't great. Bussing is a thing.

IcePhoenix posted:

MMT looked better imo as the day went on so I'm gonna walk back from that.

Humalong is an interesting read I think. Merk had two posts where he was like "this is the scumteam" and both times it was Toal, Humalong, and Solus (now me). Toal has flipped already and I know I'm town so it makes me wonder if he was actually naming three town or if he was trying to protect Humalong. Their back and forth near the end of the day AFTER he acknowledged that a late push like that on Humalong was extremely unlikely to work is a really easy way to not only distract and confuse town but also possibly cause a no lynch. And if either of them go down then the other gets cred.

Uh so are you calling Huma scum here or what? This is a weird post to make as you reread without making any mention of Huma's actual posts, and also comes off as trying to defend yourself rather than find scum.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
why do people use the phrase hedging so much in this thread? Is it lingo that suddenly got a rush of popularity?

if so, can we start using FoS a lot more?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Flying Leatherman posted:

So, re: TM. I'm skipping D1 because there wasn't any serious engagement there and just going to get right into D2. There's plenty of stuff here that doesn't look good. The AA vote comes out of nowhere and then the justification is weak when pressed. The BK read is lazy and looks weird when coupled with TM's initial read on Solus - like, there are a few posts in which the thread of the conversation is "Solus did stuff that I think is scummy, but BK only posted 10 times and then replaced out, so it's probably BK", and that's just a weird conclusion that doesn't follow from the thought line.

On the other hand, pressed for a read on me, it's really easy to go with "yep, that D1 stuff near deadline looks Real Bad (objectively, it did!), sure I'd vote her" and if I were in a position to hop on that train as scum I would find it irresistable. But that doesn't happen here, and I can't see a world where scum doesn't take that opportunity. I should be an easy vote today for scum to make after yesterday's play around deadline.

So on balance, I'm leaning town. Despite stuff I don't like around today's posts, the only way TM's alignment call on me today makes any sense whatsoever is if TM and I are both scum, and, um, I know that's not true.

Ok I disagree with this post a lot wow. You're excusing a lot on the basis of "well they didn't go after me so" and that's either self conscious scum or overly charitable town. (Unlike mmt I don't necessarily think this is the golden goose scum slip) Setting aside their lack of jumping on you, would you think they were scum?

I also don't understand where the missing word was supposed to go?

~~~

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm glad you've demonstrated the ability to follow the conversation, beet.

Who do you think is scum? You have zero actual content today.

Agree with the sentiment here but also this is too easy of a tack to take as a replacement ostensibly catching up.

~~~

"the only other way TM's alignment call..." So, like, the two possibilities:

- I am town. TM is not scum because there's no way a scum would pass up an easy case like this on a town player.
- TM and I are both scum, and he's not hopping on that train because the scumteam is already one down.

I know I'm town so I conclude that the first possibility is the correct one and TM is town.

Oh here it is. No, disagree, assumes too much about scum motivations or strategies. Like I could see this in a vacuum as an overthinking townie but excusing TM for that alone is a bit much.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

IcePhoenix posted:

Currently leaning MMT but I have a ways to go (including rereading this day) so I'm not going to put down a vote yet

sorry I meant to put that all as one post but hit submit replay out of habit and don't want to edit even if it's a ninja

IcePhoenix posted:

MMT looked better imo as the day went on so I'm gonna walk back from that.

Humalong is an interesting read I think. Merk had two posts where he was like "this is the scumteam" and both times it was Toal, Humalong, and Solus (now me). Toal has flipped already and I know I'm town so it makes me wonder if he was actually naming three town or if he was trying to protect Humalong. Their back and forth near the end of the day AFTER he acknowledged that a late push like that on Humalong was extremely unlikely to work is a really easy way to not only distract and confuse town but also possibly cause a no lynch. And if either of them go down then the other gets cred.

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm glad you've demonstrated the ability to follow the conversation, beet.

Who do you think is scum? You have zero actual content today.

IcePhoenix posted:

oh I got back up to speed this morning like I said I would

IcePhoenix posted:

annnd....read my posts?

This is the net sum of IP's big catchup that he references with his last two posts: a non read on Huma and an inactivity callout on beet. This doesn't do anything at all to change my mind about solus from day 1!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
##vote icephoenix

Other persons of interest:
Tired Moritz
AA
FL
Beet

Town reads:
MMT
Dick

Neutral:
Everyone else unless I missed someone, I'm tired and this bar is about to close

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Ugh, I really should’ve done better keeping up with the thread. I have to get ready for a flight now. I don’t know if I’m confident enough to throw down a vote.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

IcePhoenix posted:

oh I got back up to speed this morning like I said I would

Oh you did? Really? Wow. This is awkward.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Maaaaan I mean honestly the emotional appeal thing is the only reason I lean town on Sol/IP, I’m now remember long how strongly I felt they were scum for a majority of d1 so I’m trying to leave myself open to it.

I’m still way more suss on TM/FL tho.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I’m gonna throw a vote down on TM because of their criminal inactivity yesterday and generally their gameplay is making me ???

About to get on plane so yay. See you tomorrow

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

##vote TM

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
sounds like some lazy voting. but it makes sense with how dull this day is

I will gladly die tonight, but I have to reassure everyone that I'm town, and I hope you have some other theories and you'll not be empty of cases tomorrow.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
##vote IcePhoenix

sorry, brah. Solus' turbo suspicion behavior is too strong for me

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Podima posted:

Oh here it is. No, disagree, assumes too much about scum motivations or strategies. Like I could see this in a vacuum as an overthinking townie but excusing TM for that alone is a bit much.

Fair enough, maybe I'm giving that too much weight.

I think I'm still more leery of IP today. I discussed it a bit earlier, then his next three posts after that add nothing of value: they never responded to me about who else they thought was scum, still asked beet to share their thoughts, and then deflected when Dick prompted for content. That doesn't work for me, coupled with the interactions from yesterday. ##vote IP

Tired Moritz posted:

sounds like some lazy voting. but it makes sense with how dull this day is

I will gladly die tonight, but I have to reassure everyone that I'm town, and I hope you have some other theories and you'll not be empty of cases tomorrow.

huh this feels like a real overreaction to one vote?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

huh this feels like a real overreaction to one vote?

I might be too busy to comment any further, so in order to reduce the chances of waking up to find myself lynched without the chance to speak up, I might as well say what I have on my mind before it's late.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I’ll allow it.

##vote tm

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

hmmm tm or ip freely.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

hambeet posted:

hmmm tm or ip freely.

I swear you’re the single mafia player I have the most trouble reading :argh:

Like I have a scum vibe off beet but I can’t tell if your play this game is normal for you or not :eng99:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I'm a bit light on posting this game, but real life's collided a bit more than usual.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I thought MMT would have better cases by now.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Tired Moritz posted:

I thought MMT would have better cases by now.

I’m one-for-one this game, what’ve you done?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Podima posted:

This is the net sum of IP's big catchup that he references with his last two posts: a non read on Huma and an inactivity callout on beet. This doesn't do anything at all to change my mind about solus from day 1!

That was a scum read on humalong, not null. Sorry for not being clear about it. The fight was the main point, with the possible bussing going with it.

But my stronger read now is to ##vote beet as he still hasn't generated any content.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Murmur Twin posted:

I’m one-for-one this game, what’ve you done?

well it's gonna one scum and one townie, cause im town!!!

but seriously though, I figured that there would be more discussion about the other active players that actually interacted with merk than just going with me. I guess it makes sense that scum would post a lot less now that they're one down, but I dont like this sudden drop of action.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
the replacements are going to kill each other

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

jimmydalad posted:

I’m gonna throw a vote down on TM because of their criminal inactivity yesterday and generally their gameplay is making me ???

About to get on plane so yay. See you tomorrow

Just going to point out that after beating the drum all day for me, this is a pretty weak pivot elsewhere after nobody bit on it. At least respond to my stuff!

Not voteable right now but raises an eyebrow depending on what happens with TM.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Murmur Twin posted:

Maaaaan I mean honestly the emotional appeal thing is the only reason I lean town on Sol/IP, I’m now remember long how strongly I felt they were scum for a majority of d1 so I’m trying to leave myself open to it.

I’m still way more suss on TM/FL tho.

How do you feel now that IP confirmed all they have is reads on Humalong re: merk's comments, and an inactivity based read on beet?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just reread beet. There's nuggets of something like cases in the poo poo, or maybe it's just corn. He's at least reading along even if he's not on fire with powerful cases.

I think beet is a red herring at this point, I feel like scum beet would be forcing themselves into more activity versus this, but it's a gut read that I'm not intent on. They're low on my priority list and I'm suspicious of people like IP making that one of their cornerstones today with quite a lot to work with otherwise.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Podima posted:

How do you feel now that IP confirmed all they have is reads on Humalong re: merk's comments, and an inactivity based read on beet?

What? That's not my read at all. Stop trying to misrepresent my case.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, fair, a "no content" read on beet - but that's superficial, there's stuff there I saw during my reread just this morning.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I was talking about Humalong, not beet, but thanks for confirming that you're trying to undermine both my reads :v:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

IcePhoenix posted:

That was a scum read on humalong, not null. Sorry for not being clear about it. The fight was the main point, with the possible bussing going with it.

But my stronger read now is to ##vote beet as he still hasn't generated any content.

I'm talking about your vote on beet here.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Someone asked for my read on Kashuno: a quick reread in between transporting inmates and I see a lot of quick posts and someone posting while sick. The last minute hammer is a good way to buy town cred, because if Kash had held out on voting and we had a no-lunch there would be a big target on him and anyone else who failed to vote. So that’s null for me.

Beyond that Kash has voted for jimmy and...that’s about it. I’m sticking with a neutral read for now.

I don’t know if I like the IP vote, but I like the beet vote even less. I’ll ##vote TM for right now because that’s my strongest scum read at the moment.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I’ll be back when I can, I’d switch to IP if that’s the consensus vote. Don’t think I would switch to beet just yet though.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

It's funny, I was going to go back and re-read IP but I decided to read d1 again and I think I changed my mind independent of IP's posts this game.

merk posted:

If I was scum, though, I'd be trying to get us to think about lynching solus because he is low hanging fruit. It feels like too easy of a case because he's not being very careful with his words (which I think Toal implied earlier re: meta). It's kind of like a willie_dee lynch, at least that's how it feels right now.

---

This looks like scum wanting to make an earlier vote seem strong and well-reasoned (especially now that people are moving away from the case)... but another interpretation is newbie town who honestly believes in something this early and is trying to persuade us to join him.

---

It feels like the thread is moving to a Solus lynch, and I don't like this feeling.

---

To be clear... I think the Solus vote has merit and I would vote him, but I feel like it's too low-hanging fruit. I feel like he's the patsy scum want us to lynch, as MMT tried to put it earlier about her/Toal instead.

---

I think Solus has done some stuff that is scummy, and I'd vote him. I wouldn't feel great about it. I could have left it at that.

---

We can agree to disagree. I'm uncertain he's scum, but I'm leaning that way, but it feels too easy like that's where scum want the lynch to go today. Everyone has in their back pocket a 'yeah, Solus is scummy' opinion (except Toal), and I don't like that.

I just can't imagine a world where scum Merk sticks his neck out this much to prevent a town Solus execution. Like if Solus had been town, Merk could have easily just gone along with the vote and probably convince us to execute town. Instead, he tried really hard to move the vote off of Solus and onto Toal/Hum and (at least imo) ended up looking really scummy as a result. I really don't think Merk would play that hard simply to move the vote from one town onto another.

##vote ip

Podima posted:

Yeah I re-read the Humalong case and it feels like a scum fake-case to me. That said, even if it's legit, if we're really playing the "I think Merk named 2 scum and a town" game, I'm pretty sure that Hum (who he was trying to kill) comes out looking better than IP (who he was trying to save)

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Clarification: because as much as I want to believe Solus was frustrated about almost being killed day 1 again because of meta, it does make sense scum would be mad. Especially if they are The Godfather (if there is one) and merk threw himself in front of the train as a lowly goon.

(IP replaced Solus right??? God I hope that’s right)

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

That’s -2 on IP, just FYI

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

merk posted:

My biggest scum fault is that I do not bus my teammates and, instead, do everything I can to keep them alive.

:j:

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Lol yeah that’s been in my head most of this game day

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Mr. Humalong posted:

Lol yeah that’s been in my head most of this game day

It’s so perfect because then it allows scum to come in today and try “yeah but look how he said that and then bussed Humalong so hard!!!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

gently caress I want to vote IP but I’m afraid of being wrong and scum hammers town

And I might be under 10 posts still

Ah gently caress it ##vote IP if I’m wrong y’all can kill me tomorrow, I think we are still in a good spot with one scum gone day 1.