Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

bawfuls posted:

Has anyone in this thread used this portable charge cable? (Aerovironment TurboCord)

It is behaving strangely and I do not believe the problem is with my project car.

Wow that is tiny. They really got everything squeezed in there. I would test drive a leaf and see if you have the same issue charging it but even if you don't it doesn't mean the EVSE is not to blame for your issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The whole 'free charging' concept was why my company no longer has marked EV spaces near outlets. Too many bubbas complained about employees getting 'free gas' when they had to pay to fill up their F350s. I offered to pay $25/month for what I estimated my Volt was consuming while plugged in at work, but there were concerns that would be seen as paying for parking closer to the building. Which is also why they didn't install charging stations after I practically submitted all of the needed documentation for them to get free charging stations from the state.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Goober Peas posted:

The whole 'free charging' concept was why my company no longer has marked EV spaces near outlets. Too many bubbas complained about employees getting 'free gas' when they had to pay to fill up their F350s. I offered to pay $25/month for what I estimated my Volt was consuming while plugged in at work, but there were concerns that would be seen as paying for parking closer to the building. Which is also why they didn't install charging stations after I practically submitted all of the needed documentation for them to get free charging stations from the state.

You work with children.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Subjunctive posted:

You work with children.

I don't disagree. Except it's mostly 60 year old men who (probably) wear diapers, do a lot of crying.

Aging Boomers definitely keep HR busy.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Goober Peas posted:

This is a management problem.

Also re low/high power outlets: Type 1 charging with normal outlets isn't recommended for permanent charging use, at least not here in europe...

Type 2 with load balancing means that you have the opportunity to charge up quickly if the power is available, but everyone gets their fair share regardless of how many users you have, even on limited power.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Subjunctive posted:

You work with children.

At least one major FAA facility has fully functioning L2 chargers installed, and the breakers opened and locked out because the employees did the exact same thing.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Wibla posted:

Also re low/high power outlets: Type 1 charging with normal outlets isn't recommended for permanent charging use, at least not here in europe...

Type 2 with load balancing means that you have the opportunity to charge up quickly if the power is available, but everyone gets their fair share regardless of how many users you have, even on limited power.

The problem with management problems is you can't fix them unless you're their management.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wibla posted:

Some terminology confusion here, which is very understandable. There's Type, which is a type of plug, and Mode, which is a way of charging.Type 1 and Type 2 are charging interfaces, Leaf and some others have (had?) Type 1, Tesla and most others have Type 2. They are both Mode 3 charging, which means an AC charging station that can talk to the car. Mode 2 is plugged into a socket with a cable that has a brick on it. The brick has some power control and a circuit breaker. Not recommended for general use on household plugs, because most of them aren't sized for constant use and might overheat. This is probably what you've referred to as "Type 1". Mode 1 is applying an uncontrolled voltage directly to the battery, similar to how we charged lead acid batteries before trickle chargers. Not recommended at all for lithium batteries, but entirely possible. Mode 4 is DC fast charging.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, I was posting in a hurry, and messed up. Thanks.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I love how management refused to just tell the guys in the trucks to piss off. The company isn't capable of refueling their trucks every day as the cost is prohibitive, it's pretty loving simple.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

I love how management refused to just tell the guys in the trucks to piss off. The company isn't capable of refueling their trucks every day as the cost is prohibitive, it's pretty loving simple.

Also there's isn't piped gas in the walls, dispensable at trivial cost.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

who are you gonna piss off: the namby-pamby nebbish liberal IT guy with his electric car, or huge hulking bubba with a ram 5500 who definitely has guns on his person right now?

who's gonna make this into A Thing that becomes a real problem, and who's going to just slink off and make some snippy comments when they're out of earshot?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

This is why EV spots should be planned far away from the most popular spots, even if that might mean longer cable runs. EV owners don't mind the walk at all, if they know they can charge and that the spots aren't ICEd.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I ordered a 30' 14-50 extension cord to run to my garage for now since I don't want to pay for a new run into there. At first I was worried that the outlet being only 40 amp would be an issue but it turns out the mid-range model 3 only uses 32 amps.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

This is why EV spots should be planned far away from the most popular spots, even if that might mean longer cable runs. EV owners don't mind the walk at all, if they know they can charge and that the spots aren't ICEd.

Yeah but the boss only put the EV charge point requisition into the budget request so he could use it for his Tesla. You think he wants to park anywhere but right in front of the entrance?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ola posted:

...And then someone with a handicapped plate and an EV gets a court order to move them up front.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Our Ikea has a handicap/EV parking spot but I'm not sure if that means you can be either or you have to be both.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MrYenko posted:

...And then someone with a handicapped plate and an EV gets a court order to move them up front.

Nah. Supercharger spots are usually off at the far reaches, and it’s been fine.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Got my new addition!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
This certainly seems consistent with having hundreds of thousands of orders on the books: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1074017743471443969

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

eeenmachine posted:

Got my new addition!

My family has a blue, a red and a white Tesla. White is the way go.

I really can't get over the front grill of the electric Kona if it was out when I got my Bolt I probably would have felt dumb getting the Bolt though. Paying more for what? A rad color but no adaptive cruise? Bah.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

drgitlin posted:

This certainly seems consistent with having hundreds of thousands of orders on the books: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1074017743471443969

You're thinking they're disguising a week long policy of rerouting purchased vehicles that the owners can't pick up in time to get the extra $3,500 credit before the deadline to those who can as a ploy to offload vehicles they can't sell at all? I'm probably misunderstanding. Seems a waste if those sold vehicles have to wait, probably a whole lot of EV tax credits that would just go up in smoke.

I think they've obviously ramped production enough to make it through pent up demand for US customers wanting a $50k + Model 3. But I'm not sure that is any kind of death knell for them. While every new territory they open up orders in will open the taps again they'll keep working the base price lower for those waiting in the US. That is my optimistic view that I'm sure is easily countered.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

eeenmachine posted:

I think they've obviously ramped production enough to make it through pent up demand for US customers wanting a $50k + Model 3. But I'm not sure that is any kind of death knell for them. While every new territory they open up orders in will open the taps again they'll keep working the base price lower for those waiting in the US. That is my optimistic view that I'm sure is easily countered.
It is if their finances are so tight that having significant unsold inventory prevents them from paying their creditors.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

bawfuls posted:

It is if their finances are so tight that having significant unsold inventory prevents them from paying their creditors.

Unless I'm mistaken, the vehicles they're trying to beat the credit deadline with are all sold with payment received, just undelivered right? That is what makes it controversial and is pissing off owners who were planning on taking delivery after getting back from the holidays.

If anything they're grifting people by selling the same car twice. Unless I read the article the wrong way.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Judging by what people visiting Tesla stores lately are saying, and by the extremely quick delivery times lately (someone in this thread went from ordering online to car-in-driveway in 5 days), Tesla has a large quantity of unsold inventory right now.

this twitter thread, for example:

https://twitter.com/BlondesE/status/1073780262826401792

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Most makers have around 60 to 70 days of unsold inventory, so Tesla planning on keeping 16 days of inventory to maximize tax credits hardly seems insane.

Being able to walk in, test drive a car, and buy one all on the same day is how it works everywhere else. We’ll see pretty shortly if having some inventory ruins their 4th quarter.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Yikes, if we've already reached max demand for Model 3, mass market EV adoption is facing much bigger hurdle then I imagined.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

borkencode posted:

Most makers have around 60 to 70 days of unsold inventory, so Tesla planning on keeping 16 days of inventory to maximize tax credits hardly seems insane.

Being able to walk in, test drive a car, and buy one all on the same day is how it works everywhere else. We’ll see pretty shortly if having some inventory ruins their 4th quarter.
most makers do not have Tesla's current financial predicament with ~$3.5B in outstanding accounts payable (that's of course separate from their corporate debt)

eeenmachine posted:

Yikes, if we've already reached max demand for Model 3, mass market EV adoption is facing much bigger hurdle then I imagined.
Perhaps we've reached max demand for a Model 3 which is both >$50k and full of QC issues. If they delivered a reliable $35k version (you know, the version they promised, the version that's supposed to make mass market EVs a thing) the demand might be different.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 15, 2018

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

borkencode posted:

How it works everywhere else is OEMs sell cars to dealers who then keep inventory.

Tesla’s entire schtick has been selling BTO cars direct to customers. In fact Musk has lambasted companies who keep inventory in the past.

If there really is so much demand for a car that’s about to get $3500 more expensive in three weeks how come there’s now surplus inventory? Despite Musk saying in OCTOBER that the deadline to order a car before the tax credit halved was then?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

eeenmachine posted:

Well, there's the mythical $35k version, and also the rest of the world. None of those markets have started being served by the tesla model 3 yet.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
Elon Musk has brain damage, and lies all the time, sometimes believing he isn't lying, sometimes lying on purpose.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

drgitlin posted:

How it works everywhere else is OEMs sell cars to dealers who then keep inventory.

Tesla’s entire schtick has been selling BTO cars direct to customers. In fact Musk has lambasted companies who keep inventory in the past.

If there really is so much demand for a car that’s about to get $3500 more expensive in three weeks how come there’s now surplus inventory? Despite Musk saying in OCTOBER that the deadline to order a car before the tax credit halved was then?

It's the fleet vehicles, demo cars, loaners etc. Not that it matters, there's no explanation good enough, no set of facts to make you go "mhm aha well that's fine then". You hate Tesla and they can do no good according to you. Which in turn means your opinions on them are worthless.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Ola posted:

It's the fleet vehicles, demo cars, loaners etc. Not that it matters, there's no explanation good enough, no set of facts to make you go "mhm aha well that's fine then". You hate Tesla and they can do no good according to you. Which in turn means your opinions on them are worthless.

love the car though

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It's cool that this forum has 2 or 3 different EV/Tesla threads but we can't discuss the reality of Tesla's precarious position in any of them.

If you post about negative Tesla news here the Tesla Defenders get mad, it starts a derail, and mods have to shut things down.

If you post moderately positive developments for Tesla in the CSPAM thread, people laugh at you for being duped by the grift king.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

bawfuls posted:

Judging by what people visiting Tesla stores lately are saying, and by the extremely quick delivery times lately (someone in this thread went from ordering online to car-in-driveway in 5 days), Tesla has a large quantity of unsold inventory right now.

this twitter thread, for example:

https://twitter.com/BlondesE/status/1073780262826401792

Here is a guide to following twitter threads that have $TSLAQ or the word "research" in them.

They have been 100% wrong, consistently for well over 18 months. If you find any value whatsoever in them at this point you might need to reevaluate how you gather and evaluate information.

Tesla trying to boost end of year #s buy selling to buyers who can take immediate delivery (and thus pay Tesla immediately) rather then waiting for next year to complete the sale is exactly what any business would do.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

^^case in point

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Ola posted:

I don’t hate Tesla. I hate the dissembling and the relentless boosterism, and the insane Elonstans who think he’s some kind of engineering wunderkint who personally designs the powertrains and rockets as opposed to being an psychopathic micromanager who’s responsible for some of the company’s biggest problems. And the commuting by Gulfstream while pretending to give a gently caress about the environment.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
He should have solved the bigger problem of clean CEO transportation before the less impactful problem of mass transport lol.

At least if they can't sell batteries with wheels there might be a sizable market for stationary ones!

https://electrek.co/2018/12/15/tesla-megapack-debut-giant-energy-storage/

I'm fine with Tesla only owning the luxury segment if the other manufacturers step up and take the rest of the market with EVs.

Just make it to the Roadster 2 please!!!

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

bawfuls posted:

If you post about negative Tesla news here the Tesla Defenders get mad, it starts a derail, and mods have to shut things down.

It's not negative news, that upsets "Tesla Defenders" it's nonsense BS twitter threads or the lovely opinion of the forums "Very Professional Automotive Journalist" who has some personal vendetta against Tesla.

Post about Elon being a prick to work with and firing people without good reason. Post about the model 3 ramp up from well over a year ago and the problems with it.

But some dude with a drone the put pictures of 50 model 3's in a parking lot then them post $TSLAQ on twitter, the then the NEW YORK loving TIMES picks up the story and runs with it like it's a real thing is pretty stupid. That is what is upsetting.

It's like some people just can not accept that Tesla model 3s are in fact good cars and people like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

bawfuls posted:

^^case in point

Again, some idiot on twitter posting a bad take is not negative news. It's absurd to give it any legitimacy.