Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Godzilla vs King Kong (2020) - EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Godzilla: Ghidorah the Explorer

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I don't even post in this fuckin thread but how dare you not make this the new title

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Godzilla: King of the Kaijus

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Godzilla: *Mel Brooks voice* It's good ta be da King

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Fart City posted:

I don't even post in this fuckin thread but how dare you not make this the new title

Don't encourage me, I'm likely to do this all night and get worse and worse, lol.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Don't encourage me, I'm likely to do this all night and get worse and worse, lol.

More puns the others weren’t as funny but that one owned

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Godzilla: King of the Kaijus

I want to amend this one to "G*dzilla, King of the Kaijus"

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Godzilla: Kaijustice League

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I withdraw my endorsement.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

It's too late.

Mothra: Princess Daikaiju

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Godzilla: The Once and Future King of the Monsters

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

MAGA Godzilla (Make Another Great American Godzilla)

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Lady Mothra: Monsters Ball

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Literally had that as my steam name yesterday. You owe me royalties.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I had a toy of some weird-rear end dragon that my grandma got me when I was very young. this year I realised it was King Ghidorah. I always wondered where his arms were

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rodan: I'm in this movie too!

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I dig the Godzilla and Rodan posters, not so much Ghidorah as it looks cartoony and less detailed (in contrast to footage in the trailer).

***SUPER SPOILER POTENTIAL:***

I'm not an expert on leaks or anything but I remember coming across a supposed leak, who knows maybe it was linked in this thread, that stated Godzilla will become imprisoned in an enormous spacecraft controlled by Megalon and Space Gabara, and MONARCH will appoint Mothra and Rodan, using Serizawa-designed oxygen-breathing mask technology and their natural talent for flight, to liberate Godzilla in space and return him to Earth where he will defeat King Ghidorah and the other invaders

This seems consistent with what I see in the trailers. I dunno?

Mokelumne Trekka fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 15, 2018

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There's no doubt in my mind at this point that the leaks were accurate. Basically every new released piece of media fits them.

That being said, it's probably better not to bring it up too much, let other people speculate and so on without either spoiling them or turning this thread into a minefield of black bars.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When you have a character names Serizawa it's never a matter of if, only when.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The movie better have Serizawa squaring off with someone, and Godzilla chimes in "Let them fight".

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Davros1 posted:

The movie better have Serizawa squaring off with someone, and the twins sing "Let them fight".

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Mantis42 posted:

There's no doubt in my mind at this point that the leaks were accurate. Basically every new released piece of media fits them.

That being said, it's probably better not to bring it up too much, let other people speculate and so on without either spoiling them or turning this thread into a minefield of black bars.

In hindsight, this is the right approach. Even those cautious about spoilers may end up reading it by accident or lack of self-control.

Those inclined toward spoilers may find out soon enough, but I'd rather it not be from a post by me......

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

The movie better have Serizawa squaring off with someone, and King Caesar's cultist sings "Let them fight".

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I dig the Godzilla and Rodan posters, not so much Ghidorah as it looks cartoony and less detailed (in contrast to footage in the trailer).

I'm not an expert on leaks or anything but I remember coming across a supposed leak, who knows maybe it was linked in this thread, that stated Godzilla will become imprisoned in an enormous spacecraft controlled by Megalon and Space Gabara, and MONARCH will appoint Mothra and Rodan, using Serizawa-designed oxygen-breathing mask technology and their natural talent for flight, to liberate Godzilla in space and return him to Earth where he will defeat King Ghidorah and the other invaders

Given that Ghidorah is encased in ice, I assume that it would be Godzilla falling to earth in that one shot in the trailer, then. Rad.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Hahahah there’s no reason to put this in spoiler tags

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009

HannibalBarca posted:

The original 1956 Rodan looked pretty good idk

Seconded, he was pretty fearsome in the original. That "chicken" look adopted for "Ghidorah" is pretty lame though.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Dylazodelan posted:

Seconded, he was pretty fearsome in the original. That "chicken" look adopted for "Ghidorah" is pretty lame though.

The 1964/5 Rodan is definitely not great, but it's better than anything in subsequent films. Like, the 1993 Rodan somehow managed to look worse than the one from 45 years ago.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I've read once, and it may be total bullshit, that the OG Rodan suit ended up weird because they stored it improperly and smushed the beak.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Maxwell Lord posted:

I've read once, and it may be total bullshit, that the OG Rodan suit ended up weird because they stored it improperly and smushed the beak.

I'm 100% that's bullshit, but without any concrete proof. I do however have a good idea of what they're actually talking about, which I'll cover in a moment.

For one reason. OG Rodan was made in 1956, and Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster was 1964- those suits did NOT survive that long, even if they did try their hardest. The entire suit is different as well, a lot of small things, and the head doesn't remotely look the same.

However, what that was talking about was actually that the 64 suit was improperly kept and that messed up the head by the time of Destroy All Monsters, in 68. 64 has the normal beak, while 68 has the bent beak because they had to fix it on the cheap.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

My only Godzilla toy as a child was Trendmasters' Space Godzilla. I loved that loving toy.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Was that the one that roared and poo poo, I loved that toy

Can confirm that it's awesome

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's honestly one of the best Trendmaster figures as well.

That aren't giant chromed armor pieces of amazing 90s toy

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What is causing everything to burn up when Rodan flies past?

Theres a shot in the trailers where Rodan seems to be about to seize a jet in its talons and its freaky to think this gargantuan pterodactyl Kaiju can fly at supersonic speeds. Not to mention the kickass barrel roll it pulled.

Hoping they throw in some gag where Mothra is flapping toward some house and the old lady on the porch takes off her shoe ready to swat it like it's just a 'big' moth and it just gets bigger and bigger as it gets closer. I think there was a brief shot of what I assume is its larval form near that kid, I'm wondering if it imprints on him or something.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's not burning up, it's being blown away by the hurricane force gust that follows him wherever he flies. It's pretty much always been his signature move.

e: also the kid is a girl, though I don't blame you for not knowing this

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Burkion posted:

I'm 100% that's bullshit, but without any concrete proof. I do however have a good idea of what they're actually talking about, which I'll cover in a moment.

For one reason. OG Rodan was made in 1956, and Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster was 1964- those suits did NOT survive that long, even if they did try their hardest. The entire suit is different as well, a lot of small things, and the head doesn't remotely look the same.

However, what that was talking about was actually that the 64 suit was improperly kept and that messed up the head by the time of Destroy All Monsters, in 68. 64 has the normal beak, while 68 has the bent beak because they had to fix it on the cheap.

Suit lore is always fascinating to me, and DAM seems like it has a big story for every monster seen

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Mantis42 posted:

It's not burning up, it's being blown away by the hurricane force gust that follows him wherever he flies. It's pretty much always been his signature move.

e: also the kid is a girl, though I don't blame you for not knowing this

Really? I thought there was explodey stuff going off behind the Kaiju. And the trailing edges of the wings were also glowing.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Panfilo posted:

Really? I thought there was explodey stuff going off behind the Kaiju. And the trailing edges of the wings were also glowing.

Rodan is a giant volcano bird

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Oh yea, he's definitely on fire, but the shots of him flying over the city and everything/everyone being blown apart is definitely an homage to the old movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t958cwr3Z18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiHWV9LEkFE&t=162s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u3OUdGeBFI

Would this actually happen if a creature/wing was large enough? I don't understand physics

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 16, 2018

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It's some visually striking Kaiju power, it doesn't have to make sense.

Hell, in the recent Godzilla Anime apparently Godzilla has some kind of forcefield making him nigh invulnerable but when he does his breath attack there's a split second where he's vulnerable, so they do this Rube Goldberg complicated military operation to try to stop him. They go into a lot of technobabble but my way of handwaving all of it is basically 'Kaiju generate a reality warping field around themselves allowing them to survive being so big and doing Kaiju stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Mantis42 posted:

Would this actually happen if a creature/wing was large enough? I don't understand physics

There are such things as wake turbulence and wingtip vortices, but people stand directly under 747s landing, I'm talking like 100 feet or less underneath them, and don't get blasted across the beach (the jet wash on the other hand...).

So no, giant, burning, volcanic mutant pteranodons probably wouldn't be able to flatten cities just by flying over them. Probably.

Edit, this:

Panfilo posted:

It's some visually striking Kaiju power, it doesn't have to make sense.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 16, 2018