Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
"All I Want For Christmas" is my favorite Christmas song, and I don't care that people hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Adding a syncopated beat to "Hippopotamus for Christmas" makes it infinitely worse, not better.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

CrRoMa posted:

Wait so you think its an actual fitness advantage to raise genetic material you are unrelated too?

I'd be fascinated to hear your thought process here :allears:

You raise children because you love them , not to pass on your genes you primitive ape.

Here's one: going to Mars is an insanely dumb idea that will amount to nothing since it's incredibly dangerous and there's really nothing concrete to be gained.

I get annoyed with MULTI PLANET SPECIES space dorks who pretend to care about the purely abstract idea of the "survival of the species" in the event of runaway global warming. How about caring about the survival of actual people alive today?

Shibawanko has a new favorite as of 16:13 on Dec 16, 2018

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Santa Baby is the best Christmas song, because it's the only one that express the universal human desire to be hosed by Santa Claus

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

True love is monogamous and polyamory is just a form of immature hedonism practiced by people who can't form proper attachments to others.

The scene in Jurassic Park where Newman is sitting on the terrace talking about smuggling the dinosaurs is the only really memorable bit from that movie.

Shibawanko has a new favorite as of 16:38 on Dec 16, 2018

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
The only good Christmas songs are made by the Carpenters or Mannheim Steamroller. Everything else is garbage. Just listen to the Carpenter's Christmas Collection on repeat through the season. The Carol of the Bells and Merry Christmas Darling on that album are the best things about Christmas and I am including gifts and glitter in that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shibawanko posted:

space dorks who pretend to care about the purely abstract idea of the "survival of the species"

Shibawanko posted:

True love is monogamous and polyamory is just a form of immature hedonism practiced by people who can't form proper attachments to others.

Why do you assume that anyone who has different preferences or priorities to you is only pretending?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Why do you assume that anyone who has different preferences or priorities to you is only pretending?

Because caring for an abstract concept like the survival of the human species does not involve any real attachment to actual living beings. It's an intellectual conceit popular among Elon Musk fanboys who think global warming is OK as long as we can have a handful of astronauts surviving on another world or something even if most people on Earth will die.

https://www.cnet.com/news/elon-musk-humans-should-be-multi-planet-species/ I'm talking about this poo poo

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

That applies to opinion 2 waaaay more than opinion 1. One is a relationship preference and one is BEEP BOOP ADOPTION IS ILLOGICAL, EMOTIONS DO NOT COMPUTE. WHY DOES THE HOO-MON EXHIBIT PREFERENCE FOR THE YOUNGLING NOT OF ITS GENETIC LINEAGE?

This ties in with my PHUO that Elon Musk is the first and least succesful of a series of genetic hybrids sent by malevolent robots to assimilate us.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

Because caring for an abstract concept like the survival of the human species does not involve any real attachment to actual living beings.
So? People care about tons of stuff that doesn't involve any real attachment to actual living beings. Like, fictional characters. They're not real people, but that doesn't mean no one cares about what happens to them.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

One is a relationship preference and one is BEEP BOOP ADOPTION IS ILLOGICAL, EMOTIONS DO NOT COMPUTE. WHY DOES THE HOO-MON EXHIBIT PREFERENCE FOR THE YOUNGLING NOT OF ITS GENETIC LINEAGE?
That was a separate thing; this was about colonising other planets.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Tiggum posted:

So? People care about tons of stuff that doesn't involve any real attachment to actual living beings. Like, fictional characters. They're not real people, but that doesn't mean no one cares about what happens to them.

Caring about though forms is actually more noble than caring about the few living beings you actually meet. You are tapping in the mystical, the flame imperishable, rather than the crude transient flesh.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

Caring about Frodo and caring about things that will affect society are not comparable.

I'm glad Frodo got to go to Tol Eressëa, for example, but Frodo and his cronies getting divine honours while the rest of the shire-dwelling hobbits fade into extinction is still bad. I would want the Shire to thrive in the Fourth Age and for all Hobbits to get their fair shake, even if it meant adopting a degenerate Stoor when I'm a worldly and enlightened Fallohide. Or would be, were I a hobbit. But I am a human from earth, you see?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Caring about Frodo and caring about things that will affect society are not comparable.

I'm glad Frodo got to go to Tol Eressëa, for example, but Frodo and his cronies getting divine honours while the rest of the shire-dwelling hobbits fade into extinction is still bad. I would want the Shire to thrive in the Fourth Age and for all Hobbits to get their fair shake, even if it meant adopting a degenerate Stoor when I'm a worldly and enlightened Fallohide.

The Hobbits become intermingled with Man, they don't go extinct.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm glad Frodo got to go to Tol Eressëa, for example, but Frodo and his cronies getting divine honours while the rest of the shire-dwelling hobbits fade into extinction is still bad. I would want the Shire to thrive in the Fourth Age and for all Hobbits to get their fair shake, even if it meant adopting a degenerate Stoor when I'm a worldly and enlightened Fallohide. Or would be, were I a hobbit. But I am a human from earth, you see?

I have no idea what any of this means.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Kanye West is a terrible lyricist. Maybe not the worst but not good at all.

Tyler the Creator is probably the best rapper in the game right now, and Golf Wang is a far better clothing line than Yeezy, although I feel like it’s probably pretty low quality stuff. The shoes seem solid though, and aren’t completely played out the way 350s are.

That all being said, Kanye’s fits are really solid for what they are: “getting the mail” outfits made high fashion.

Drake probably has strong feelings about the word “ephebophile.”

Nicki Minaj loves sex criminals.

6ix9ine is gonna be murdered in prison almost immediately.

This has been your yearly installment of “white boy’s opinions on rap music”

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

Sorry, that is a popular opinion.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Tiggum posted:

Tol Eressëa is an island just off the coast of Valinor; a land of elves and angels. Ar-Phârazon, the last king of Numenor, was corrupted by Sauron and tried to invade Valinor to gain eternal life, and God broke apart the world so that no mortal can cross the sundering seas unless given special permission. Frodo and Sam received said permission due being Ringbearers and as a reward for their part in defeating Sauron.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Ar-Phârazon was no joke btw, when he sailed to Mordor Sauron saw he could not win and surrendered, and when he sailed to Valinor the Valar asked God for help.

*forgot to mention, god also destroyed the continent of Numenor as punishment, Aragorn is descendent of the few people who left before that happened

doverhog has a new favorite as of 20:00 on Dec 16, 2018

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CrRoMa posted:

Wait so you think its an actual fitness advantage to raise genetic material you are unrelated too?

I'd be fascinated to hear your thought process here :allears:

Genes don't care who they belong to. They're not "your" genes. You are merely a vessel for them to propogate themselves and those genes would sacrifice you and your progeny in a heartbeat if it served their purposes.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Genes are not sentient. :love:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Richard Dawkins was a mistake. He seemed edgy and cool back during the Bush administration when saying, "Church? more like brainwashing factory!" was literally the most anti-establishment sentiment anyone could conceive.

But he always sucked.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Dick dorkins drove me to be more religious because I just can't resist being a contrarian.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

River Out of Eden is a good book to explain how genes work, dunno what else he did.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Did he insult god on twitter? That's a mistake, twitter is a mistake.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Dick didn’t need twitter to be bad

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The best thing he ever wrote was on twitter

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I've no emotional investment in him, just found that book informative. :shrug:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Chris Hitchens just liked making people mad.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Hitchens brothers had very different outlooks on the world but they're both very tedious people. I can't figure out why Peter Hitchens - who is so right-wing he claimed to believe that David Cameron was a Trotskyist - likes (or at least liked) Jeremy Corbyn so much, though. It is very confusing.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Gripweed posted:

Richard Dawkins was a mistake. He seemed edgy and cool back during the Bush administration when saying, "Church? more like brainwashing factory!" was literally the most anti-establishment sentiment anyone could conceive.

But he always sucked.

Infinity percent this.

American Atheists, through their virulent Islamophobia, actually drove me to embrace folks' religious beliefs. A wizard made the world? Neat. Turtles all the way down? poo poo yeah. They just happened to make a world where mathematical constants seem to apply, but that's all part of their grand design. I don't give a gently caress what people believe as long as it doesn't contradict science and doesn't victimise strangers. I'd rather have friendly neighbors who pray toward the east multiple times a day than assholes who are
code:
PERFECTLY RATIONAL AT ALL TIMES.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Chris Hitchens just liked making people mad.

For a long time I confused Dawkins with Hitchens since they were talked about in similar tones, and was confused, but they are actually different people. One is a professional rear end in a top hat, the other a biologist. You may not notice the difference if you don't read books but let me assure it's there.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Tubgoat posted:

American Atheists, through their virulent Islamophobia, actually drove me to embrace folks' religious beliefs.

I can scarcely imagine a sadder reason to embrace magic than this.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Oh, I'm still an atheist, but I'm not ever again gonna tell anyone that their religious beliefs are factually incorrect.
And I'm sure not making any more donations to the GOP (American Atheists is at CPAC).

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Tubgoat posted:

Oh, I'm still an atheist, but I'm not ever again gonna tell anyone that their religious beliefs are factually incorrect.

I'm not, I'm a mystic now. Though whether I believe magic is a placebo I use on myself, or if it is has a real effect on things, couldn't tell you.

If someone tells me their religious belief, and it is abhorrent, like the genital mutilation of girls, I will say your belief is incorrect and your god is poo poo if he supports it. I do not care if god demands it, gently caress god if he does so.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Genital mutilation is not a religious belief, it is an extreme sign of mental illness.

Wait, so you're a mystic specifically because of my disowning America Atheists? Or "now" after one or more unexplainable/life-changing phenomena?

PHUO: Science is misapplied magic, and magic is misunderstood science.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Tubgoat posted:

Genital mutilation is not a religious belief, it is an extreme sign of mental illness.

It's pretty common, look up female and male circumcision.

I'm a mystic due to a long process, just mentioned it now to, uh, show off I guess.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

doverhog posted:

For a long time I confused Dawkins with Hitchens since they were talked about in similar tones, and was confused, but they are actually different people. One is a professional rear end in a top hat, the other a biologist. You may not notice the difference if you don't read books but let me assure it's there.

Follow Dawkins on Twitter and it's clear he's just an rear end in a top hat too

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

doverhog posted:

just mentioned it now to, uh, show off I guess.
No shame, mate. :cheers:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Follow Dawkins on Twitter and it's clear he's just an rear end in a top hat too

Ok, but he at least wrote a book about genes and evolution in 1995 before becoming a twitter rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

a gritty live action Scooby Doo tv reboot
They did this, it was called Mystery Incorporated.