Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

chaosapiant posted:

Are they the space thunderstorms I’ve been seeing pics of? I wanna check that poo poo out.

I think that may be part of it, yes, but not entirely sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
New fun way to make lots of money I saw on reddit. Find a high population system with anarchy and agriculture. Go there with a pirate ship that can quickly destroy weapons, has a hatch breaker, interdictor and lots of storage area. Find ships in the system with a refinery and steal their stuff. This part isn't a new method but the payouts are much better now.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFq2Tll2Y9U

Double edit: or just go there with two ships, one is the gun and the other is the moneybag

jubjub64 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 16, 2018

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

I made it safely to Colonia!

What should I do or check out while I'm in this part of the galaxy?

Relative to the journey there, Sgr A* and the Great Annihilator are close-by… ish… you also have a couple of the rarer star types nearby — WRs, carbon stars, Herbigs and all that. If you still want/need to practice boosting, there's an entire neutron field just below it and you only get set back a few dozen Ly if you explode.

Also, while it might not qualify as “check out” as such, there are a couple of Colonia-centred engineers that you could grind, if nothing else than to have more pinned blueprint at your disposal for remote engineering.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

jubjub64 posted:

New fun way to make lots of money I saw on reddit. Find a high population system with anarchy and agriculture. Go there with a pirate ship that can quickly destroy weapons, has a hatch breaker, interdictor and lots of storage area. Find ships in the system with a refinery and steal their stuff. This part isn't a new method but the payouts are much better now.

Double edit: or just go there with two ships, one is the gun and the other is the moneybag

That sounds like piracy. Piracy is good. Focus on low temp diamonds.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

jubjub64 posted:

Holy poo poo, they seriously buffed the payout for diamond pirating?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

You'd think that, but you start with 1000 Credits and the ability to jump around 7ly. I picked up a mission, left the station, realized I couldn't complete it and abandoned it. Now I've got 2 units of cargo taking all my capacity and a 4k fine.

I land at the next closest station to pick a new mission and find one to deliver the same commodity, plus I can make the jump. Great, I think I'll deliver the original cargo and then come back. Get to the destination station and it turns out they want their version of the item.

At this point I can sort all this out, or just start fresh, saving time. 15 minutes later I'm in the next game with 100k credit because I paid attention on the first mission I picked.
Protip: just ignore fines. They've changed crime and punishment so many times that I couldn't actually tell you what happens if you ignore a fine nowadays but yeah, never pay them. :v:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Plus when you ditch your Sidewinder the fines go with it.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

chaosapiant posted:

What are Lagrange points? How me find them?

Layman's terms they're points in space where two bodies exert the same gravitational pull on an object. I found those metallic crystals at one while I was mapping a nebula, but I don't know if that had anything to do with the presence of the proto gas cloud or whatever it was. But yeah, "Notable Cosmic Phenomena" is what you're looking for.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Layman's terms they're points in space where two bodies exert the same gravitational pull on an object. I found those metallic crystals at one while I was mapping a nebula, but I don't know if that had anything to do with the presence of the proto gas cloud or whatever it was. But yeah, "Notable Cosmic Phenomena" is what you're looking for.

Gotcha. Something I’m a big fan of now in Elite is the actual minute to minute gameplay is engaging. I really hope FD goes in this direction with every element of gameplay.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

You'd think that, but you start with 1000 Credits and the ability to jump around 7ly. I picked up a mission, left the station, realized I couldn't complete it and abandoned it. Now I've got 2 units of cargo taking all my capacity and a 4k fine.

I land at the next closest station to pick a new mission and find one to deliver the same commodity, plus I can make the jump. Great, I think I'll deliver the original cargo and then come back. Get to the destination station and it turns out they want their version of the item.

At this point I can sort all this out, or just start fresh, saving time. 15 minutes later I'm in the next game with 100k credit because I paid attention on the first mission I picked.

No seriously, ignore the missions and just scan down a system or two with your ships' built-in FSS scanner. That will easily give you cash to buy a surface scanner, then start scanning and mapping planets for an hour or so and you'll have plenty of cash for a good starter ship. From there you can branch out into bounty hunting, mining, road to riches, whatever get rich quick scheme is hot right now, etc. , etc. It's never been easier to bootstrap yourself from nothing in this game.

Those fines you get from bailing on missions are absolutely microscopic compared to the money you can immediately start making doing almost anything besides missions.

E: Seriously, people are pulling in a million (literally 1,000,000+) credits on accident just by testing out the new FSS and surface scanner for fun. Stop trying to do doing missions to get your feet off the ground.

timn fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 16, 2018

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

There's 400 billion stars, 100 billion systems.

Solar systems with a single star are apparently a bit of a rarity. Even Sol was very nearly a binary system, but Jupiter didn't quite make the cut.

It's a bit more complicated. The galaxy has several hundred billion solar masses, but most of our stars are red dwarfs, which are only the fraction of our sun's mass. So "400 billion stars, 400 billion systems" could be pretty much it, as far as we know. It depends on how the ratio of multi-star systems to star mass plays out. It could also wildly veer into the opposite direction if there aren't enough multi-star systems.

If for example, four red dwarfs form a weird quadruple-system, but each have about 1/5 of the sun's mass, you get a single system with four stars but only 4/5th of our sun's mass. And for comparison's sake, red dwarfs vary between something like 7,5% and 50% of one solar mass.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have acquired an FSD booster! The Phantom is now capable of over 64 LY of jump range, and I couuuuuuld squeeze some more out of it but right now... I think LGM-1 calls :getin:

(LGM-1 is the first pulsar we as humans discovered)

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Pilchenstein posted:

Protip: just ignore fines. They've changed crime and punishment so many times that I couldn't actually tell you what happens if you ignore a fine nowadays but yeah, never pay them. :v:

I died 2 days ago with a fine from trespassing on me and I woke up in a prison station about 8 jumps from where I died with the fine deducted from my wallet.

No big deal really, I could still pay the insurance for the ship and fly away like nothing had really happened.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
On my trip out to Maia I went through a really weird system. Definitely not enough sunscreen in the galaxy for this...

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

On my trip out to Maia I went through a really weird system. Definitely not enough sunscreen in the galaxy for this...

What the heck is going on with those rings and what are they orbiting

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dick Trauma posted:

Now imagine finding more pictures like that...

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

GHOST_BUTT posted:

It's a perspective trick, they're orbiting the dark planet, which is further away from the sun than it looks.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Dick Trauma posted:

Go check out Betelgeuse. It’s down near there. You can land on a planet that is as close as you can get.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

chaosapiant posted:

Gotcha. Something I’m a big fan of now in Elite is the actual minute to minute gameplay is engaging. I really hope FD goes in this direction with every element of gameplay.

Yeah. I love what they've done with mining. Previously, I liked it as a chill thing to do between combat missions, but it wasn't very interesting.

Mining last time I tried it:
- Find pristine metallic rings.
- Fly into them.
- Prospect/poke rocks until you find something expensive.
- Shoot it with lasers.

New mining:
- Find pristine rings. Seems like all types have something worth mining (icy diamond cores :swoon:)
- Scan the rings to find a hotspot.
- Fly into hotspot.
- Scan to find a high-yield rock.
- Poke or visually inspect/prospect rock, depending on if you're doing surface or core mining.
Do any applicable combination of:
- Shoot it with lasers.
- Break surface deposits with precision shots.
- Drill subsurface deposits.
- Blow it the gently caress up and mine the core.

All three new extraction methods require you to aim at a specific target, and two of them require you to pay attention to actually get the goods. At the same time, you can still mindlessly shoot lasers at metallic rocks if that's what you wanna do.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

timn posted:

No seriously, ignore the missions and just scan down a system or two with your ships' built-in FSS scanner. That will easily give you cash to buy a surface scanner, then start scanning and mapping planets for an hour or so and you'll have plenty of cash for a good starter ship. From there you can branch out into bounty hunting, mining, road to riches, whatever get rich quick scheme is hot right now, etc. , etc. It's never been easier to bootstrap yourself from nothing in this game.

Those fines you get from bailing on missions are absolutely microscopic compared to the money you can immediately start making doing almost anything besides missions.

E: Seriously, people are pulling in a million (literally 1,000,000+) credits on accident just by testing out the new FSS and surface scanner for fun. Stop trying to do doing missions to get your feet off the ground.

Yeah I just finished my third day of play last night and I'm already above 100mil net worth, having never played Elite before. You can make money really fast with exploring, which is where the lion's share of my wealth has come from. I haven't even gotten into the mining game yet, or messed much with any of the combat related stuff. Apparently you can bring in ~100mil an hour doing certain passenger tours as well?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

On the topic of solar masses versus number of stars versus number of star systems, there are places like this:

edit: those are young baby stars not brown dwarves so they're heavy enough to be proper stars one day

I wish black holes looked as ominous in person as they do on the map

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 16, 2018

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I recall that early on, I guess before the full lensing effects were completed, black holes were huge pure black spheres with a small lensing effect around them.

It was pretty drat intimidating, especially because I am a giant nerd who finds black holes creepy as hell.

I dunno which is a more realistic depiction though (accretion discs aside). Would the majority of black holes really bend light so hard that they are invisible?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Oh I have a pic from when I visited Betelgeuse. This planet is 2,900ls away from the center of the sun.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
If a planet has the blue ground site location, how in the world do you actually find them? I was trying to find a tutorial or written explanation online but either I'm not using the right words or there is some common sense obvious answer that I'm just not getting.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You mean landable settlements?

Select the planet in the system map, one of the options is for a planetary map (the one on the end). You can rotate the planet and find/select settlements from there.

Settlements should also appear on your navigation panel.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

Oh I have a pic from when I visited Betelgeuse. This planet is 2,900ls away from the center of the sun.

The first time I warped into Betelgeuse, I was like, "holy poo poo :stare:" and that wasn't even in VR.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Last time I was playing ED actively, planetary landings had just become a thing. If I were to pick it up again, how viable is it to play without the Engineers and later expansions? I'm not going to be able to afford to buy in again any time soon, sadly.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Kesper North posted:

Last time I was playing ED actively, planetary landings had just become a thing. If I were to pick it up again, how viable is it to play without the Engineers and later expansions? I'm not going to be able to afford to buy in again any time soon, sadly.

Hey Kesper! It’s totally viable to play without the expansions (there is only one).

Horizons gives you access to planets and engineering, two things that add a lot of depth to the game if you are into it, but the content didn’t exist for the first two years or so, so still plenty to do!

If you have the game on Steam and have never messed with the marketplace, you should have enough ~digitally trading cards~ to scrounge up enough to splurge for the expansion during steam sale!
:homebrew:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Hey Kesper! It’s totally viable to play without the expansions (there is only one).

Horizons gives you access to planets and engineering, two things that add a lot of depth to the game if you are into it, but the content didn’t exist for the first two years or so, so still plenty to do!

If you have the game on Steam and have never messed with the marketplace, you should have enough ~digitally trading cards~ to scrounge up enough to splurge for the expansion during steam sale!
:homebrew:

Oh but I have Horizons! I just naturally assumed that I would have to pay even more because another year has passed. The fact that I apparently don't has me goggle-eyed with wonder.

Holy cow, that's actually pretty cool and exciting and I'm downloading the client. Time to see if my HOTAS still works!

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Welcome to space. Check out the Diamond Frogs in the PGS forum if you are looking for people to play with.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

GHOST_BUTT posted:

That planet was so close to the sun that I thought something was wrong with my radar.

Most of this trip is through unpopulated space, and many of the stars are unscoopable so I've made a couple of detours to keep from running dry. The suns are often weird, and sometimes there are too many of them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dick Trauma posted:

That planet was so close to the sun that I thought something was wrong with my radar.

Most of this trip is through unpopulated space, and many of the stars are unscoopable so I've made a couple of detours to keep from running dry. The suns are often weird, and sometimes there are too many of them.

Ah, yes, you're running into Brown Dwarves most likely than not. You can only scoop main sequence stars, which are classes: M K G F A B O (small to large). You can disable brown dwarves on the galaxy map and it'll ignore them! L, T, and Y types are them.

Make sure you have "apply filter to route" checked.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

What was the warp-in like… :frontear:

quote:

I wish black holes looked as ominous in person as they do on the map
I find that it depends a lot on what's in the skybox. If it's just your standard milky way, then yeah, you get that standard brown smear, but ever so often you get some other background — a good set of stars or an already ominously looking nebula — and they can look pretty foreboding.

That said, I still find white dwarves the most disconcerting. There's just something about how you arrive and see the exclusion zone flash by at the periphery, and it just sits there — seemingly far away due to its size, the jets flickering about, and it all just looks so… wrong.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

You can filter you route to only include scoopable stars. It'll stop you diving face first into a briar patch and getting stranded like an idiot... Not that I've ever done anything like that.

Scoopable star types are easy to remember using the mnemonic KGB FOAM. Or if you're in a poetic mood: Oh Be A Fine Girl Kiss Me.

Edit: beaten. With pictures!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Kesper North posted:

Oh but I have Horizons! I just naturally assumed that I would have to pay even more because another year has passed. The fact that I apparently don't has me goggle-eyed with wonder.

Holy cow, that's actually pretty cool and exciting and I'm downloading the client. Time to see if my HOTAS still works!

Sweet, I was just going to gift it to you on Steam for nostalgia’s sake! :glomp:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Tippis posted:

What was the warp-in like… :frontear:

I find that it depends a lot on what's in the skybox. If it's just your standard milky way, then yeah, you get that standard brown smear, but ever so often you get some other background — a good set of stars or an already ominously looking nebula — and they can look pretty foreboding.

That said, I still find white dwarves the most disconcerting. There's just something about how you arrive and see the exclusion zone flash by at the periphery, and it just sits there — seemingly far away due to its size, the jets flickering about, and it all just looks so… wrong.

I didn't slam into any of the stars but I was in between them and nearly did trying to pull up from the main star. I'm sure there are crazier systems but I haven't seen any with so many stars so close.

That shot was taken right up against the exclusion zone of a black hole with the Milky way right behind it. It looks cool but I was hoping for black spheres with lensing around them and maybe the glow from matter falling into them.

In one of the other S171 systems I found a black hole so close to the main O-class star of the system that when I positioned myself with the black hole between me and the star and the star still took up about half of my screen. It turns out that the lensing effect only affects the skybox and not objects like stars, so the black hole was completely invisible. What a ripoff!

quote:

The suns are often weird, and sometimes there are too many of them.

I like this description of brown dwarves and T Tauris

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 16, 2018

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Kesper North posted:

I believe the plan was to release a paid expansion every year, but Horizons has obviously run longer than expected.

I think they said something about Horizons being over so I guess there might be another paid expansion coming up? Or I might have imagined that? I'm not sure.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Something to note with mining is that you can easily do the new mining stuff at the same that you fire the old mining laser. Just make a different fire group for each mining tool, with the mining laser on the same button in each group. That way you can still get a trickle of materials as you switch between tools for the deposits.

One disappointment with mining is that collector limpets still off themselves by slamming into the asteroids. With old mining, you could mitigate this by aligning yourself with the asteroid so that it wasn't spinning "toward" you, but the new system requires you to fly all around the asteroid to get the deposits, so I might lose 4-5 limpets in short order when they go for something and get slammed by the asteroid. This is especially the case when you pop a core and they have to fly between a bunch of large asteroid chunks. I hope they tweak collectors to either be smarter, or to not take damage from asteroid collisions for the sake of making the game more fun. They'll still gather all the chunks eventually, but redeploying a collector every 30 seconds gets tedious, though not as tedious as manually scooping. Gimme a tractor beam upgrade, Frontier :argh:

It'd be cool to have a deployable collector ship you (or your multicrew buddies) could pilot, that would have a gripper dealie that can hold several chunks. Deploying that from a large ship to fly into a popped asteroid and return chunks to your scoop would be hella dope.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, I really wish collectors were smarter or just could clip through asteroids. I get that they want some sort of consumable drain when you mine, but you already have that with general limpet time outs.

I also wish fancy asteroids were more common. Flew around for 30-40 minutes mining earlier today, and I found a half dozen or more asteroids with subsurface deposits, one with surface deposits, and none that I coudl crack open. All told, about 3m credits from mining a pristine metallic painite hotspot...not the best return.To be sure, lots of that was me flailing about figuring out how subsurface hotspot rocketry works. Turns out you need to have the missile hit the little acne patch on the asteroid. And if your hardpoint is on the side of a big old ship, that means you need to adjust your aim a bit. (I may have blown through 20-30 missiles being really angry that they were just spiralling off into space after bouncing on the asteroid...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I guess I misunderstood the new mining stuff - I thought it replaced the old "watch tv while holding fire" mining but it seems like it's just a rare bonus to go alongside that? Hardly any rocks lit up under the pulse wave scanner and those that did had like, 2 deposits on them. Also what's up with the abrasion blaster? Sometimes it would dislodge chunks fine and other times nothing would happen - am I supposed to be charging it up somehow in those situations?

Finally, when you find hotspots with the surface scanner does that actually do anything? I flew into a monazite hotspot but never saw any monazite. :shrug: