Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've just got the joke of why it's called Route 53.

Yeah...

About that

TIL :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I really love AWS, and I don't even do much with it professionally. But when I can buy a domain (my registrar has .me names for $4.99 through the month), put it on route 53, grab a free SSL cert, throw it on a cloud front distribution to an S3 bucket and increase my bill by like $. 50/month for a fast static https site, that's really fantastic.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jaded Burnout posted:

:aaa:

God drat I’m dumb

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Weatherman posted:

I only just got it by sounding it out like an American.
In Australian English, at least, it's pronounced more like "gray-yum". Also how the gently caress do you type a schwa on an iOS keyboard

My go-to on Android at least is google and copy for special characters.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Reset received.

I have joke about TCP.

Are you ready to hear a joke about TCP?

Yes, I am ready to hear a joke about TCP.

Jaded Burnout posted:

:vince:

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

:aaa:

God drat I’m dumb

If it helps, I am dumber, as I still don't get it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Port 53 is the DNS port.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Karatela posted:

If it helps, I am dumber, as I still don't get it.

I'm probably ruining the joke or may be missing it myself, but DNS is usually port 53. So it's a mashup of route 66 and the standard dns port.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

blackswordca posted:

He wants us to give end users ad access.

How much is their AD 101 course and what's his commission ?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Oh come on people!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

if you google "route 53" it actually has a special dropdown addressing this question specifically.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Agrikk posted:

Oh come on people!

Could you help us resolve this name confusion?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Nevermind, I'm apparently too tired to post.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 14, 2018

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

22 Eargesplitten posted:

:golfclap:

edit: Currently, no tickets are coming in since I am off for the next two weeks and today I am in a training.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PBS posted:

I'm probably ruining the joke or may be missing it myself, but DNS is usually port 53. So it's a mashup of route 66 and the standard dns port.

Also it "route"s traffic, sort of.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm in training too, by which I mean I'm literally on a train to Milwaukee. Only coming from Chicago but I just didn't feel like driving there and back today, since that would likely mean rush hour traffic.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

DizzyBum posted:

Yes, I am ready to hear a joke about TCP.

Ok, I will tell you a TCP joke.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Fool posted:

Ok, I will tell you a TCP joke.

This sequence (yuk yuk) is like shave and a haircut was to Roger Rabbit - any self-respecting IT person can't help but ACKnowledge it and kneejerk respond with the next line.

Edit: "OK I'll hear a TCP joke" SON OF A BITCH I HAD ALMOST SUCCESSFULLY NOT POSTED THE NEXT LINE

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Super Soaker Party! posted:

This sequence (yuk yuk) is like shave and a haircut was to Roger Rabbit - any self-respecting IT person can't help but ACKnowledge it and kneejerk respond with the next line.

Edit: "OK I'll hear a TCP joke" SON OF A BITCH I HAD ALMOST SUCCESSFULLY NOT POSTED THE NEXT LINE

It's a mortal SYN to perpetuate this joke.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I have no idea why people keep wanting to hear jokes about TCP but nobody wants to hear a UDP joke about

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Inspector_666 posted:

It's a mortal SYN to perpetuate this joke.

DAMMIT

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

MisterZimbu posted:

I have no idea why people keep wanting to hear jokes about TCP but nobody wants to hear a UDP joke about

They're just not that MTU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Super Soaker Party! posted:

"OK I'll hear a TCP joke"

I am sending you the TCP joke

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I'd tell you an NTP joke but I don't have the time.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

mehall posted:

I am sending you the TCP joke

I have received 29 bytes of the TCP joke so far

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

MisterZimbu posted:

:golfclap:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

nielsm posted:

I have received 29 bytes of the TCP joke so far

I will respond with laughter upon receiving the entirety of the joke. Please acknowledge my laughter.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

HEY GUYS WHAT IF I JUST SEND A BUNCH OF PREEMPTIVE LAUGHTER AND ASSUME THE JOKE WILL GET HERE FINE, THAT WILL SPEED DELIVERY OF THE JOKE RIGHT

ACKACKACKACKACKACK
:cawg::cawg::cawg::cawg::cawg::cawg::cawg::cawg:

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Agrikk posted:

I just received word that a customer is reticent to adopt route 53 because it won’t be manageable like their current solution and X has fears that they won’t have a good level of control over DNS if they make the shift.

Which is infuriating because the dot com, literally the largest retailer in the history of ever, has been using route 53 since ‘94

As it turns out, this customer of mine has a global footprint too. So global that X has designed a DNS solution that involves five hundred twenty DNS servers.

Physical.

Servers.

I think X is worried that the tens of thousands of dollars per month he is causing the organization might be perceived as a mistake vis-a-vis r53 so he is doubling down on his own solution rather than one that costs literally pennies.

It would be really cool if they came out with a managed route 53 dynamic DNS service. I'm probably not thinking this through, but why couldn't you set the hostname either in the console or via terraform or cloudformation or whatever and have it set via cloud-init then automatically register with a rt53 zone?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

They're just not that MTU
:vince:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

BallerBallerDillz posted:

It would be really cool if they came out with a managed route 53 dynamic DNS service. I'm probably not thinking this through, but why couldn't you set the hostname either in the console or via terraform or cloudformation or whatever and have it set via cloud-init then automatically register with a rt53 zone?

My first guess towards a workaround is: Why not have the client manually register itself in r53 using the AWS CLI?

Upon creation a host runs a one time script to create its DNS record in r53, then updates itself upon reboot. The IAM permissions for this could get tricky as you prevent unauthorized updates, but this might be a thing given I’ve never tried this.

But yeah, managed DDNS could be cool for some edge cases.

What was the use case you had in mind?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Back when I was at Umich, they not only had lavish vacation, but a very simple rule for accumulation: if you had more than 18 months' vacation accumulated (and I think we were at 2 days PTO per month, so that's 36 days of PTO) you stopped accumulating it. So there was no arbitrary "everyone use up their PTO by 12/31" nonsense, but individuals who didn't take PTO eventually lost it. That seemed like a sufficiently fair protection for the University's financial concerns.

It's 48 days (now?) which is pretty sweet, especially when I'm on a team of 4 that handles only one specific thing so I can actually use my vacation time without there being a lack of coverage. My last job had a use-it-or-lose-it cut off at 22 days and I was constantly hitting that cap. Did make for a nice payout when I quit, though.

Was on call this weekend when we had a significant incident. Almost 2 hours on the phone with a bunch of other infrastructure people because they initially thought Windows updates were to blame. In the end though, it was just our old friend, DNS.

:argh:

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

That's a beautiful haiku

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

MisterZimbu posted:

*listens for a UDP joke*

"Did ? the one about you hear UDP"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sirotan posted:

It's 48 days (now?) which is pretty sweet, especially when I'm on a team of 4 that handles only one specific thing so I can actually use my vacation time without there being a lack of coverage. My last job had a use-it-or-lose-it cut off at 22 days and I was constantly hitting that cap. Did make for a nice payout when I quit, though.

Was on call this weekend when we had a significant incident. Almost 2 hours on the phone with a bunch of other infrastructure people because they initially thought Windows updates were to blame. In the end though, it was just our old friend, DNS.

:argh:

This is my favorite print of that haiku

(For some reason Awful app is ignoring timg tag. Hopefully it’s not ginormous on normal web-browsers)

E: just checked in Safari, works as expected there.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I had a dns problem last night :(

I was moving some stuff into kubernetes but for some reason the app couldn't establish a connection to Kafka. The dB and redis were fine. NC and nmap both said everything was fine. Names were resolving. BUT the app is actually stupid and hard coded in the non fqdn name of the brokers to use.

Previously we've always had our own domain as a search domain in resolv. But that wasn't the case inside of k8s because ndots

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Proteus Jones posted:

This is my wall paper for my desktop at work. I am in charge of our DNS and SSL. :sigh:

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Methanar posted:

the app couldn't establish a connection to Kafka.

That's because Kafka died in 1924

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

(For some reason Awful app is ignoring timg tag. Hopefully it’s not ginormous on normal web-browsers)

E: just checked in Safari, works as expected there.

If I had an office I would have this framed on my wall.