Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

loving system updates every third time I boot up my console. Jesus Christ. Also, waiting for a game to install, launching it and then being told that it too needs an update to play. Anymore, I install a game, go start dinner and take a shower, then come back and update the game and go take out the trash or something. Then I come back to play it; that is if my console didn't put itself to sleep during the install/updates.

Last night my kid wanted to watch YouTube on my XBone and we waited for the system update. Then it moved my YT app off of my pinned apps and he couldn't find it. Then YouTube needed an update.

I used to think having to blow into an NES cartridge was inconvenient.

My phone does the same poo poo. Update it and yes, please, kindly reset all my settings, Verizon. I was getting tired of these devices working exactly the way I wanted them to and having my new unread messages bolded on my app icon.

It's ridiculous. The PC has become my "I just want to sit down and play a game" console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

The Moon Monster posted:

It's ridiculous. The PC has become my "I just want to sit down and play a game" console.

I remember during the 360 era, Doublefine had a couple games with some well-known glitches, but didn't fix them because microsoft was charging their company something like 50 grand to patch the game so they didn't. This is right after brutal legend failed and they lost a ton of money so i understand their point of view.

But do patches still cost that much? I don't know anything about it except what I've hazily recounted here.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I think the 360 was a bureaucratic nightmare to get patches and updates to, so most devs waited until they had a shitload of things to add and do it all at once but I skipped that generation so I'm not keen on the details, maybe they also charged a ridiculous amount for it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ammy, please stop biting the dog soldiers in their butts

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

ChaseSP posted:

The new edf game is a reboot of the series with nobody knowing about giant insects.

They also took out my boy Hector and replaced him with some frog-rear end motherfucker.

I’ve shared my displeasure via targeted artillery strikes about the matter.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Olaf The Stout posted:

I remember during the 360 era, Doublefine had a couple games with some well-known glitches, but didn't fix them because microsoft was charging their company something like 50 grand to patch the game so they didn't. This is right after brutal legend failed and they lost a ton of money so i understand their point of view.

But do patches still cost that much? I don't know anything about it except what I've hazily recounted here.

They took away that cost halfway? Into the 360s lifespan and the first patch was free. It was intended to pressure devs to release better games but instead it just made gamers bitch their games werent being fixed like on other platforms.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
360 also famously had the Red Rings of Death problem that I think ultimately resulted in a class action lawsuit if I'm not mistaken.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I just finished up Kingdom Hearts 2, and while overall the game is great, I have a complaint about the form system. I got burned too many times when I was fighting a boss and instead of the form I wanted, I turned into anti-Sora, who can’t heal, block, or cast magic, and takes extra damage.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gann Jerrod posted:

I just finished up Kingdom Hearts 2, and while overall the game is great, I have a complaint about the form system. I got burned too many times when I was fighting a boss and instead of the form I wanted, I turned into anti-Sora, who can’t heal, block, or cast magic, and takes extra damage.

your chances of getting the anti form skyrocket when fighting bosses and Org XIII members in particular, probably to discourage abusing them

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
That’s interesting to know, but it’s faintly ridiculous that they would limit a gameplay element like that, considering the natural impulse is to save your form drive for bosses.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I love playing Air Raider in EDF 5, you call in air strikes and vehicles and poo poo. In 5 they were made even better since they can hold 3 weapons instead of just 2, and they got air strikes that are on a timer instead of using the credit system, so you can use them in place of an actual weapon.

They are practically unusable underground as you can't use any of the airstrikes and are locked into using a certain type of vehicle :saddowns:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Samuringa posted:

I think the 360 was a bureaucratic nightmare to get patches and updates to, so most devs waited until they had a shitload of things to add and do it all at once but I skipped that generation so I'm not keen on the details, maybe they also charged a ridiculous amount for it.

IIRC it was both. You had to have your poo poo thoroughly vetted and it cost $$$ so instead of lots of small patches like you might see for some games on PC devs would stuff everything into one big cumulative update and push it through. Or kill two birds with one stone and just package it into the DLC. I believe there were also random, dumb restrictions like you could only add more achievements to your game via paid DLC, never for free.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The 360 also had that really weird slot system for Arcade games where only a certain number of games would be released each week and you had to arrange with Microsoft beforehand for a release date.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

why does every single video game 1.) have to have a jungle level 2.) have the jungle level be the most tedious, repetitive, longest poo poo ever

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

FluxFaun posted:

why does every single video game 1.) have to have a jungle level 2.) have the jungle level be the most tedious, repetitive, longest poo poo ever

~*realism*~

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Path of Exile has been so fun so far but this loving jungle bullshit will not end

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Could be worse, could be a jungle expansion.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Attestant posted:

Could be worse, could be a jungle expansion.

I legitimately made a pained groan

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

FluxFaun posted:

Because everyone wants to be as rad as Donkey Kong Country's early levels, but nobody can be.

I may or may not have had the music from that level stuck in my head for over a day.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 06:49 on Dec 17, 2018

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

FluxFaun posted:

It's because everyone complained about sewer levels for so long, developers had to come up with a new bullshit backtracking-filled samey level template. Welcome to the jungle, baby.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

FluxFaun posted:

The answer to 2 is that jungles don't easily map to the basic patterns of a video game level and map designers are either incapable or unwilling to put in the extra effort to distinguish them so they turn into filler very easily. They also have the disadvantage of requiring a certain level of detail at a scale that can never be hand-crafted and said detail needs to obfuscate (tree walls come up a lot) but also not kill the framerate. Plus it needs to be artificially tailored to support the intended path(s). Game's got any kind of annoying water features or status effects? Those will probably show up too because jungles are wet and full of poisonous poo poo that wants to kill you.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Gann Jerrod posted:

That’s interesting to know, but it’s faintly ridiculous that they would limit a gameplay element like that, considering the natural impulse is to save your form drive for bosses.

I would say that the big problem is that you're saving them forms build up a hidden anti-sora gauge every time you use them(this also ties into getting the final form and such) so the more you use forms without becoming anti-sora the greater your chance to become anti-sora and yeah bossfights add a little bit to the gauge too

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FluxFaun posted:

I dragged my heels for ages on moving on to the Colombia map in Hitman 2 because of this (and also because I have traumatic memories of the Colombia jungle level from the original game) but it's luckily great

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

The thing dragging the Hitman series down is that there are now two games called Hitman 2.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Metal gear solid 5's africa setting had some jungle areas, and that game was great.

Goldeneye had a jungle level, and it was as good as anything else in that game.

Every 2d jungle level I can think of blows though, and it's the worst DIablo2 act for sure.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Comix Zone is ridiculous. It's generally incredibly punishing - health pickups are few and far between, you get one life and if you die it's Game Over and the console resets. But I could maybe handle all that. What's really infuriating is that the game often contains walls and blocks you have to punch through to progress. Punching these steadily drains your health. This means you can easily end up in a situation where breaking the block in front of you will kill you and reset the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Olaf The Stout posted:

Metal gear solid 5's africa setting had some jungle areas, and that game was great.

Goldeneye had a jungle level, and it was as good as anything else in that game.

Every 2d jungle level I can think of blows though, and it's the worst DIablo2 act for sure.

Goldeneye's jungle level is where I remember the game's usual rock-solid 25fps go down to 15fps or worse.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Necrothatcher posted:

Comix Zone is ridiculous. It's generally incredibly punishing - health pickups are few and far between, you get one life and if you die it's Game Over and the console resets. But I could maybe handle all that. What's really infuriating is that the game often contains walls and blocks you have to punch through to progress. Punching these steadily drains your health. This means you can easily end up in a situation where breaking the block in front of you will kill you and reset the game.

I think Comix Zone was the first game I played as a kid that I just entirely gave up on. It really is infuriatingly difficult.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Necrothatcher posted:

I was really proud of beating that game as a kid

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

Comix Zone was an abysmal game when it came out that coasted entirely on its graphics and art style every second of its misbegotten life and Im sorry that in 2018 it has ensared another poor soul in its trash design clutches.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I watched a longplay of that the other day because I remember renting it a few times and never having fun or getting far.

That game just looked miserable and full of gently caress yous.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

FluxFaun posted:

Path of Exile has been so fun so far but this loving jungle bullshit will not end

It’s funny you bring up Path of Exile because it’s the only D2-style ARPG that doesn’t have a lovely garbage desert in its second act.

Torchlight 2 has it, Sacred has it, Titan Quest has it, Grim Dawn has it.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Comix Zone is a treat and it's a game made before 2008 so feel free to use cheats :shrug:

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

suuma posted:

Comix Zone is a treat and it's a game made before 2008 so feel free to use cheats :shrug:

Yeah well if it's 1995 and you only get one game rental a month from your parents and you don't have internet for cheats Do Not get loving comix zone lmao

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Olaf The Stout posted:

Yeah well if it's 1995 and you only get one game rental a month from your parents and you don't have internet for cheats Do Not get loving comix zone lmao

Man, I loved that game so much when I was a kid, but yeah, it's hard as balls, probably to hide the fact that the game would otherwise last about an hour and a half.

Art is expensive!

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

It’s funny you bring up Path of Exile because it’s the only D2-style ARPG that doesn’t have a lovely garbage desert in its second act.

Torchlight 2 has it, Sacred has it, Titan Quest has it, Grim Dawn has it.

Yup, and path of exile decided to replace it with a lovely jungle instead

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CordlessPen posted:

Man, I loved that game so much when I was a kid, but yeah, it's hard as balls, probably to hide the fact that the game would otherwise last about an hour and a half.

Art is expensive!

Thats a common thing in games of the era. That's also part of why so many of them are so hard. Sega and snes games could get longer than nes ones but not by a lot.

I still remember telling a friend of mine that Mario 3 was only actually like 90 minutes long. He didn't believe me so I sat down and played through every single level. I think it took like 93.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Overwatch added 3 new achievements and accompanying sprays as rewards for the winter event, and one of them is to win as the last person standing in a round of Mei's Snowball Offensive, a 6v6 game mode. It has the best spray, and I will be un-chill until the stars align and I get it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dr Christmas posted:

Overwatch added 3 new achievements and accompanying sprays as rewards for the winter event, and one of them is to win as the last person standing in a round of Mei's Snowball Offensive, a 6v6 game mode. It has the best spray, and I will be un-chill until the stars align and I get it.

Overwatch match making is some dark magic but it seems to prioritize like size teams. Can you maybe stack the chances of cheating it by getting 12 goons to each make a team of 6?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Seventh Arrow posted:

The thing dragging the Hitman series down is that there are now two games called Hitman 2.

Eh, it's not too bad because nobody really called the actual Hitman 1 and 2, Hitman 1 or 2, it's pretty much always been 'Codename 47' and 'Silent Assassin' when I've seen them talked about, even way before the good rear end new ones.