Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Assassin's Creed series used to be real good for forgetting about the plot and just dicking around, but the new ones are built all around a leveling system that will seriously punish you for drifting out of your level zone, which may not be your thing. For some reason they decided that the series needed to be even more of a drawn out grind than it already was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Black Flag was the perfect balance between badass braindead action and additional progression systems, and they aren't going to top it imo

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
They already topped it since the only good parts were the boats and sea shanties. It was still bogged down by the mandatory modern day sections that dragged on and on. The missions were the same as what you see in the previous games and this was still a handful of games away from AC finally committing to likable characters.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

FWIW Black Flag has been the only AC I look back on fondly, though even it had its issues. I've borrowed or RedBoxed most of the games since Black Flag. Odyssey is the first one since then that has been actually fun, instead of wavering between occasional neat moments tucked away in hours of slog. It's the only AC on the current generation that's really clicked with me (though Origins got close, I just found the world and story to be oddly flat, despite being right up my alley). Kassandra cracks me up too, she's a great character so far.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I just picked up Prey on sale. It doesn't seem like the game will have any replay value at all - it comes off a bit Resident Evil ish, in the sense that at least 2/3rds of the struggle is knowing where stuff is and where to go next, and you wouldn't have a problem with that on a replay. But on my first playthrough? Having fun and legitimately needing to work for it. I started on Hard, because I want to be challenged and am generally afraid I would sleepwalk through a game's Normal setting, learning bad habits in the process.

I won't lie, I wouldn't call this game amazing or anything, but I'm having fun with it.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Backhand posted:

I just picked up Prey on sale. It doesn't seem like the game will have any replay value at all - it comes off a bit Resident Evil ish, in the sense that at least 2/3rds of the struggle is knowing where stuff is and where to go next, and you wouldn't have a problem with that on a replay. But on my first playthrough? Having fun and legitimately needing to work for it. I started on Hard, because I want to be challenged and am generally afraid I would sleepwalk through a game's Normal setting, learning bad habits in the process.

I won't lie, I wouldn't call this game amazing or anything, but I'm having fun with it.

There's actually quite a lot of variability in how later bits of Prey can play out, so that plus doing a alien skills-only approach or similar can give it a decent amount of meat for a replay.

I would absolutely call Prey amazing though, like one of the best games of the past couple years, so ymmv

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

xarph posted:

So, Dwarf Fortress Legends mode scratched an itch and I'm looking for something that has more of a game surrounding it. Sid Meier's Covert Action had a fundamental gameplay loop where you had to evaluate intelligence to reverse engineer what terrorists were planning before they did it.

There are games like Orwell and Mainlining and Hacknet that come close, but they're either too hand holdy as glorified adventure games, or the fundamental part I enjoy is buried behind a completely different genre.

Before I start writing my own damned espionage analyst simulator, has this been covered by a modern game?

I'm following up on this, because I found a game that scratched the itch I described. It's called Black Closet, and it's ostensibly an anime-style visual novel, but damned if it doesn't perfectly nail the game of "send agents out on missions and interpret their results through a lens of everyone lying, including your agents."

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Looking for any thoughts on the Stronghold series if you are looking to play co-op vs AI only with 2 other people? Would be buying on Steam so it has the HD versions, ect.

As I understand it the first game, Stronghold HD does not allow for co-op vs AI, so that one is out. Steam reviews seem to be split on what people prefer considering Stronghold Crusaders HD, Stronghold 2, Stronghold Crusaders 2.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 20, 2018

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I'm looking for a game/games to get my 9 year old son for Christmas. He has played and enjoyed Plants vs. Zombies and Geometry Dash so far. He isn't really into FPS games or anything twitch related (even only a minor interested in Minecraft). I think he is way more into more strategy type games.

He suggested something in the Tower Defense genre. We have a cheap-rear end Android tablet and a laptop on which he can play (simple) Stream games. It looks like Kingdom Rush is the most suggested TD genre game on those platforms? Are there any other suggestions? I'd rather play a few dollars upfront than have in-game microtransactions.

Thanks.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

pthighs posted:

I'm looking for a game/games to get my 9 year old son for Christmas. He has played and enjoyed Plants vs. Zombies and Geometry Dash so far. He isn't really into FPS games or anything twitch related (even only a minor interested in Minecraft). I think he is way more into more strategy type games.

He suggested something in the Tower Defense genre. We have a cheap-rear end Android tablet and a laptop on which he can play (simple) Stream games. It looks like Kingdom Rush is the most suggested TD genre game on those platforms? Are there any other suggestions? I'd rather play a few dollars upfront than have in-game microtransactions.

Thanks.

Puyo Puyo Tetris is amazing and all-ages friendly.

Tower-Defense:

Creeper World 3 - it says 3 but you can start anywhere. A combination RTS and tower-defense where you're trying to push back ever-spawning goo by building a defense network. The dev has uploaded demos here!

Defense Grid - Straightforward tower defense where you build a maze out of your towers. Has a snarky AI introducing missions.

Dungeon Warfare - one of the best, as you lay traps for heroes - but it's got blood in it and I have no idea how much blood kids are allowed to see. Please look up gameplay videos first before getting it (then get it for yourself)

Gemcraft - don't let looks deceive you, this is one of the best as well. You slot gems into towers, and then combine them to get weirder and weirder powers/effects. LOTS of missions.

Immortal Defense - Excellent but has a very high concept plot about a man who is turned into an immortal who lives in the pathspace between planets. It gets tragic as his kids outlive him and so on. Great weird gameplay, too.

Infested Planet - Half TD, half RTS/move your squad around. You usually have like 5 guys and they need to be positioned correctly so they can shoot down the mass of alien bugs. Check gameplay vids for this, the plot is standard military sci-fi and I cannot remember if they swear in it or not.

and finally Kingdom Rush is good but kind of boring after all of the above. :v:

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Orcs Must Die 1 & 2, Sanctum 1 & 2, PixelJunk Monsters 1 & 2.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
We're all missing a really obvious answer here, a copy of wc3 and a bunch of TD maps.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

pthighs posted:

Kingdom Rush games are good. My kid loves the Bloons TD series (specifically 5), I'm not sure if it has micro-transactions or not, but they don't seem to be necessary if it has.

His favorite game at the moment is Slime Rancher, which is a cute and colourful first person farm management type thing. He also likes Guild of Dungeoneering which is strategy dungeon-crawler thing with a cute look and memorable theme song.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

pthighs posted:

Thanks.
Seconding Defense Grid. Into the Breach isn't a TD but it's real good and runs on a potato

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

User0015 posted:

Confirm. Subnautica is basically what I'm asking for again! (I built multiple bases in it just for fun)

I've been looking for that since I finished Subnautica earlier this year and have consistently come up empty.

There's a few games that look like they might scratch that itch once they're finished, like Osiris or Empyrion, but they're still under construction.

Planetary Explorers is janky as gently caress and I wouldn't recommend it.

No Man's Sky is a lot prettier and more polished but every part of the UI, including base building, is a disaster, and it also has some really weird bugs.

Fortresscraft Evolved is more a sort of Minecraft crossed with Factorio kind of thing, but does have the "build bases to defend against a hostile world" element. Unfortunately it also has weird bugs, mostly notably the fact that it's loving dark even at high noon and gets darker as you go further down even if you're in a valley in full sunlight. After a certain point the sky just turns off completely.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

speaking of factorio kind of things, I suggest you look at Satisfactory by Coffee Stain Studios(people that did sanctum, and goat sim. it's not out yet but it's also doing the whole non randomly generated map thing that subnautica is doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5TogHASrCo

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 21, 2018

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Nalesh posted:

speaking of factorio kind of things, I suggest you look at Satisfactory by Coffee Stain Studios(people that did sanctum, and goat sim. it's not out yet but it's also doing the whole non randomly generated map thing that subnautica is doing.

That's like the platonic ideal of "too good to be true", if it does half of what Factorio does I'll be blown away. Factorio, in 2D without physics calculations, is already essentially running on black magic mathematics to track all the thousands of moving objects completely bug-free, my suspension of disbelief is stretched thin to accommodate a similar-scale move to 3D

I'm still buying it day 1 tho

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I've been playing a bit of Battle Brothers recently and there's one thing it makes me kinda yearn for: a game where you're a trader, buying moving and selling things. I played trans-ocean(?) a few years ago and it was fun, but the trading aspect was kinda slim for my liking. Are there any other trading games that tickle peoples fancy?

Evilreaver posted:

That's like the platonic ideal of "too good to be true", if it does half of what Factorio does I'll be blown away. Factorio, in 2D without physics calculations, is already essentially running on black magic mathematics to track all the thousands of moving objects completely bug-free, my suspension of disbelief is stretched thin to accommodate a similar-scale move to 3D

I'm still buying it day 1 tho

Definitely. I suspect the scale will be a bit smaller than Factorio, but we'll see.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Chakan posted:

I've been playing a bit of Battle Brothers recently and there's one thing it makes me kinda yearn for: a game where you're a trader, buying moving and selling things. I played trans-ocean(?) a few years ago and it was fun, but the trading aspect was kinda slim for my liking. Are there any other trading games that tickle peoples fancy?

Not a videogame, but Container is a board game about running a factory, a warehouse, and a shipping business. You produce goods to sell to warehouses, store goods to sell to ships, and ship goods to sell to markets. Except the game prevents vertical integration: you aren't allowed to sell to your own warehouses or ships, so you have to participate in the player-defined market.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

pthighs posted:

I'm looking for a game/games to get my 9 year old son for Christmas.

Around that age, I was struggling with the original X-Com. I had no idea what I was doing, but with infinite time and perseverance I did eventually figure out how to play it, and eventually how to beat it. I think it was a learning experience, perhaps even a formative one.

From what's been recommended above:

Creeper World 3 has a very spartan presentation, and a heady sci-fi plot that's also bad. The gameplay itself is very fun and unique take on tower defense. I love Creeper World, and I'd love to hear what a 9 year old kid who's into strategy games would think about it.

Into the Breach is another good one. It's much more strict about how it wants to be played, though. Every mission is kind of like a chess puzzle, and if you mess up even just a little bit in individual missions, your campaign will fail. Both X-Com and Creeper World give way more latitude for experimentation in that sense.

Anyway, get your kid into hardcore hex war games or some Paradox poo poo, and post the results!

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Any ideas for a good colony management or frontier taming sim (historical, fantasy or SF all fine) where colonists are all named individuals and can develop (skills, relationships etc) over the course of the game? I already have Oxygen Not Included and Rimworld. Of the two Rimworld is closer to what I'm after. Fine if, like these, they're just randomly generated, although I'd be very interested in one where the NPCs were curated and scripted to an extent.

Chakan posted:

The Guild? Haven't played any of them, but I think that' kind of what it's all about.They tend to review fairly poorly but I seem to remember there was one in the series some people are fairly fond of. Possibly The Patrician as well, although I don't know anything about that one. A lot of space 4X games and sandbox pirate games tend to have a heavy trading element (if you choose that path). Rebel Galaxy was a recent space one I quite liked... except for the combat, otherwise I would have played it more.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 21, 2018

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Chakan posted:

Ocean Trader (1995) is old but a decent game in that style.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Chakan posted:

Patrician series?

The X series through at least X3 is setting up trading empires in space, but what keeps me from enjoying it is, if it's so (relatively) damned easy to, plop down space factories, and get really rich, why in the hell hasn't everyone already invented their own gold rush, locked it down into their own dynasties, and actively blocking anyone else from getting a slice of their pie? Anyway, X series!

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
Anyone put any time into Miscreated? I'm kinda looking for a base-builder too and from what I can see the game is basically DayZ but with base-building and PvE which is right up my alley.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nalesh posted:

SatisFactory looks incredibly tasty like it's everything I wanted but didn't get from games like FortressCraft. They recently announced that it'll be a timed exclusive to Epic's new sad disaster of a store on release, but aren't ruling out releases on other platforms later.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Yar The Pirate posted:

Anyone put any time into Miscreated? I'm kinda looking for a base-builder too and from what I can see the game is basically DayZ but with base-building and PvE which is right up my alley.

Did you look at the reviews?

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

If the last Need For Speed I played was Shift, and the last one I enjoyed was Underground 2, is there a newer NFS/other racing game that scratches that open-world highly-customizable itch? I didn't like Shift because the customization is a lot crappier than Underground 2, and driving around the open world was a lot cooler (to me) than the canned Gran Turismo-type races of Shift.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Most Wanted and Rivals were both pretty good open world Need For Speeds. I'm not sure how much customization there is though. That said, based on your requirements you might want to have a look at the Forza Horizon series. Loads of customization and big open worlds with a lot of variety. I've only played 3 and 4, but since then haven't even felt the urge to look at a more recent NFS. I think the latest NFS was open world, but not very well received. Steer clear of "The Crew" at all costs.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Thanks all for the trading game recommendations! I’ll check them out.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Speaking of Assassin's Creed (from earlier this page), does Odyssey have tilt controls for aiming a bow? I just started playing Origins on PC with an old Xbox controller after playing Zelda: BoTW and wow am I reliant on tilt for subtle aiming adjustments.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

kedo posted:

Speaking of Assassin's Creed (from earlier this page), does Odyssey have tilt controls for aiming a bow? I just started playing Origins on PC with an old Xbox controller after playing Zelda: BoTW and wow am I reliant on tilt for subtle aiming adjustments.

Pretty sure you can do this for anyone game via Steam controller configuration, even games not bought on Steam. I'm phone posting so you'll have to figure it out from there. It's called gyro, if that helps

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Pretty sure you can do this for anyone game via Steam controller configuration, even games not bought on Steam. I'm phone posting so you'll have to figure it out from there. It's called gyro, if that helps

Wow really? I need to look into that. Thanks for the tip!

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

the controller obviously need to support gyro though, which I don't think any of the the xbox controllers have?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I have a PS4 PC controller which might do the trick. What I’d want to figure out is how to have gyro controls enabled when using a bow, but disabled the rest of the time.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

kedo posted:

I have a PS4 PC controller which might do the trick. What I’d want to figure out is how to have gyro controls enabled when using a bow, but disabled the rest of the time.

You should be able to set up a modifier to only enable gyro when one of the triggers is depressed. It may take some tinkering but I think it's possible.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Nalesh posted:

the controller obviously need to support gyro though, which I don't think any of the the xbox controllers have?

He said he used it in other games

SoR Blaze posted:

You should be able to set up a modifier to only enable gyro when one of the triggers is depressed. It may take some tinkering but I think it's possible.

This is definitely possible as I have used Community Configs to do this. I always turn it off though because it throws me off. I don't see how people keep their controllers perfectly still all the time like that.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 25, 2018

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

are there any good single player rts games with a heavy emphasis on base building? They Are Billions was cool and made realize that if i'm playing strategy games single player, it's mostly because i want to build a really big wall and watch hordes of dudes try to break past it, but i have a hard time sticking with that game for other reasons. are there any alternatives?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Rise of Nations features borders and free form wall building. Highly recommended.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

ninjewtsu posted:

are there any good single player rts games with a heavy emphasis on base building? They Are Billions was cool and made realize that if i'm playing strategy games single player, it's mostly because i want to build a really big wall and watch hordes of dudes try to break past it, but i have a hard time sticking with that game for other reasons. are there any alternatives?

You can get Stronghold HD and Stronghold Crusader HD on steam for like 3 dollars right now. They are like a mix of RTS and base building tower defense for castle building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

Weird answer, but Factorio might scratch your itch? Especially with mods.