Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Teenage Fansub posted:

https://twitter.com/BilquisEvely/status/1071776965768679424
Bilquis is so good. She's pretty much the reason I'm following the new Dreaming series without finishing the original Sandman.
Here are a couple of examples of her stuff from Comixology sample pages.

Yeah, that's really good. No sarcasm.

I remember for the longest time artists were strictly forbidden to break panels which is incredibly stupid since the best layouts usually involve creative ways to do exactly that. I can see the reasoning behind it to a certain extent and a lot of artists would do it in ways that massively hosed up the storytelling of a page but, overall, it was a stodgy, dumb, uptight corporate "house rule" that really restricted the medium.

Imagine what John Buscema, Byrne, Gil Kane, Ross Andru or even Kirby might have come with without this limitation placed on them. That was one thing about 80's Miller and his Daredevil work i liked where, even if he didn't break the plane, he came up with cool ways to use them as framing elements, used sound effects as borders and sometimes didn't frame panels at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I assume the Dreaming is the Daniel focused one, right?

Nope. There is no Daniel-focused on. The Dreaming is set in the Dreaming after Daniel abandons them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Noto's 80th anniversary cover variants

Not sure what books they're gonna go on

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

god drat he draws real pretty and i want all of those.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah he's kind of the anti-Quitely in that everyone he draws is a beautiful person. I'm probably pointing out the obvious but each cover is a decade of Marvel history starting in the 30s in the top left and going clockwise around and then to the center to finish with the '10s.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
What's up with Dumpy Cap/Extra Dumpy Bucky, I know it's got to be intentional.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017

Flesh Forge posted:

What's up with Dumpy Cap/Extra Dumpy Bucky, I know it's got to be intentional.

I'm just guessing but I think in the 50s or so, "strong dude" meant having kind of a barrel-chested, charles atlas kind of physique like with curt swan's superman

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I think it just might be that he hews to a less "heroic" set of body proportions. All the characters look like fit people, but they don't look comic book shaped.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

They're also wearing outfits that look like cloth rather than vacuum-sealed polymer

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I like that Doop gets a prominent position.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

zoux posted:

Yeah he's kind of the anti-Quitely in that everyone he draws is a beautiful person. I'm probably pointing out the obvious but each cover is a decade of Marvel history starting in the 30s in the top left and going clockwise around and then to the center to finish with the '10s.

Stuff like this is why Noto is probably my third-favorite artist in all of comics, after Allred and Cooke. So glad I got to meet him before he went to Marvel and exploded, and that I got a Blue Beetle head sketch from him.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

zoux posted:

Noto's 80th anniversary cover variants

Not sure what books they're gonna go on

To be honest, the nineties kinda sucked. Besides the really old stuff, that must have been the worst decade. Also there's a noticeable lack of Squirrel Girl in that panel!

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

To be honest, the nineties kinda sucked.

Hot take, coming through!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ecavalli posted:

Hot take, coming through!

Lukewarm take.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

outdated take, X-Force was a gem

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
There's just something about the '90's style that I can't help but like. It's not quite modern, but it doesn't quite feel like the older stuff. But then again, I've mostly read good stuff from then. I want to read some of the bad, dumb, and silly stuff. But $40 for Liefeld's X-Force? Come on, Marvel.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

cant cook creole bream posted:

To be honest, the nineties kinda sucked. Besides the really old stuff, that must have been the worst decade. Also there's a noticeable lack of Squirrel Girl in that panel!

Look at that tiny little gun Cable's got. This artist clearly doesn't know anything about the source material. :smuggo:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
90's x-men had some cool outfits though,can't beat cyclops yellow and blue get up.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It's not a good depiction of the 90s ideal heroic body because I can see feet.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Shatterstar's sword only has one blade.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

shatterstar used a single-blade sword in addition to his signature double-bladed sword all through out the 90s, nice false meme

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What it really needs is Solo jumping in front of everyone else firing a machine gun in each hand yelling, "WHILE I LIVE, TERROR DIES!"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

What it really needs is Solo jumping in front of everyone else firing a machine gun in each hand yelling, "WHILE I LIVE, TERROR DIES!"

that's stupid

his upper body needs to be in one quadrant of the page and his lower body needs to be in another to visualize his teleporting powers.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

catlord posted:

There's just something about the '90's style that I can't help but like. It's not quite modern, but it doesn't quite feel like the older stuff. But then again, I've mostly read good stuff from then. I want to read some of the bad, dumb, and silly stuff. But $40 for Liefeld's X-Force? Come on, Marvel.
When did Liefeld's X-Force cost $40? Was this a recent hardcover or something?

And "The 1990s sucked" is a true statement depending on how incredibly narrow you want to be about what represented the 1990s.

My bigger takeaway from this is that if you want to be reductive, most of the bold new characters introduced in the past 20 years have been

- Dark Bucky
- Red Hulk
- Other Hawkeye
- Other Wasp
- Other Spider-Man
- Other Other Spider-Man
- Other Other Other Spider-Man Who is Evil
- Woman Iron Man
- Younger Nova
- Woman Thor
- Girl Wolverine
- Old Wolverine
- Carol Danvers with a better costume/codename
- Someone with Carol's old costume/codename
- Punisher but also Ghost Rider but also Deadpool
- Girl Deadpool

I get why on a marketplace level, but still.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Edge & Christian posted:

When did Liefeld's X-Force cost $40? Was this a recent hardcover or something?

The recent Epic collection. Especially if I want to buy at one of my local comic stores.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

What's the deal with Guy Gardner's giant boots?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

he literally has brain damage

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Synthbuttrange posted:

he literally has brain damage

Ok but he also picked a cool rear end vest.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

catlord posted:

The recent Epic collection. Especially if I want to buy at one of my local comic stores.

you know Liefeld was only on X-Force for the first like 10 issues and even then he was halfway out the door for like 4 of those

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

catlord posted:

That seems to be the going cover price of Epic Collections, and it collects eighteen issues. It's $17 on Comixology. That's pretty much how all of the "Epic Collections" are priced, and considering some of the other stuff they've collected in this format (Operation Galactic Storm, Harras-era Avengers, Chichester Daredevil, DeFalco FF/Thor, pretty much any Punisher comic published in the the 1990s, Daniel Way Wolverine, the Clone Saga) for all its dumb flaws Liefeld X-Force is worth more per issue than any of that dross.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

That seems to be the going cover price of Epic Collections, and it collects eighteen issues. It's $17 on Comixology. That's pretty much how all of the "Epic Collections" are priced, and considering some of the other stuff they've collected in this format (Operation Galactic Storm, Harras-era Avengers, Chichester Daredevil, DeFalco FF/Thor, pretty much any Punisher comic published in the the 1990s, Daniel Way Wolverine, the Clone Saga) for all its dumb flaws Liefeld X-Force is worth more per issue than any of that dross.

I want to know who the doofus was who was desperate for early 90's Avengers. Some kind of jacket fetishist, maybe?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jacket Avengers best Avengers

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Edge & Christian posted:

The Hachette piecework just hit Operation Galactic Storm. I'd describe it as relentlessly mediocre and an attempt to boost sales on some unpopular books, but compared to AVX it's a loving masterpiece.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Keep in mind that Marvel once printed an omnibus version of "The Crossing" which boasted on the back cover that it was "One of the most notorious narratives of the 90s!" so presumably there's a market for this. One of my co-workers loves all that dumb 90s stuff; really likes David Michelinie era Spider-Man, that kind of thing. He's about 10 years older than me, so that's the stuff he was reading when he was a kid.

Personally I am a bit annoyed that they've collected (most of) David Michelinie and Bob Layton's second run on Iron Man in the Epic Collections because my omnibus has a great big "VOLUME 1" on the spine and will never have a volume 2 to go with it. :v:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Edge & Christian posted:

Chichester's Daredevil has its moments! Scott McDaniel made Fall From Grace look really pretty even if the story was a mess.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I love this Detective Comics #1000 variant by Michael Cho.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Poop Batman?

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Guanoman

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Animal-Mother posted: