Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

nessin posted:

If you explode with engineered modules, does the rebuy give you same engineered modules as replacements or do you have to do it all over again?

Rebuying recreates all of the engineering, so make sure you always have enough credits for a rebuy when you undock!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

chaosapiant posted:

How do you like the Oculus compared to the Monoculus you'd bought previously?

Well, other than being able to walk around the ship, they’re honestly mostly the same. Not really because of the headsets, but because of how much Elite relies on being seated and doesn’t really use 6dof headset features. It’s a pretty 3dof game. Which is why it was perfect for the monoculus

The Rift has better tracking and isnt locked to 60fps like the monoculus, so those are niceties with it.

Don’t get me wrong, the Rift is great, but the monoculus wasn’t bad at all for Elite, in reality. All you really gave up was walking around the deck of the ship.

I really do like my newfound ability to play motion controller games though. I spent a solid two hours throwing things at people in pokerstars VR, which is hilarious to me for some entirely juvenile reason.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
New Full Spectrum Scanner, once you get decent at it; you can fully map a system super-quick compared to previously.

I guess the tradeoff is now you don't get detailed surface scans at the same time as your 'regular' scans; so, pursing detailed surface scans are even more time consuming than they were before. Probably just not worth doing, honestly.

The 'honk' marking the stars is a nice QoL change though.

Pretty good patch.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Shine posted:

I've had a few instances with jack poo poo, even in pristine hotspots. I fly around now for like three minutes pulsing, and if I see no yellow, I leave. Dunno if it's a bug, or the game being like "we didn't generate fun this time, try again."
I left the ring and came back and found some deep cores, so (anecdotally) you might be on to something. :v:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

https://twitter.com/blind_rasputin/status/1074826933316116481?s=21

timn
Mar 16, 2010
1 pip in ENG, didn't even boost out of the slot, nice flying grandma

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

timn posted:

:iceburn:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
They didn't do anything at all to fix mining's biggest problem: limpets make me want to drink bleach.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

timn posted:

:thurman:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Blind Rasputin posted:

Mining is good

Always has been. :colbert:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Alehkhs posted:

Always has been. :colbert:

Now it's good and has explosions!

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Helianthus Annuus posted:

are you taking a different ship to the guardian site?

i think you're going to have a hard time landing the corvette, because the terrain is rough and the corvette is huge. also its jump range is low.

I’ll most likely take my krait.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i located the shape of the metallic crackable asteroids today:

https://imgur.com/a/yfqhNrZ

sorry for how bad the screenshots are, but you can see in there its kind of a like 'flint arrowhead' shape with a very detailed surface. the cracks on them are much harder to see than the ones on crackable rocky asteroids.

some things ive noticed while experimenting:

- the glow of an asteroid when its scanned is basically done as a kind of area around each feature on the asteroid, so a tiny asteroid with three subsurface deposits will glow like the sun, even if its worthless, but a big asteroid (that might be crackable) is going to glow a bit more dimly than that because its all more spread out. the bright bright yellow metallic asteroids ive found have all been poo poo, its the more consistent orange-yellow ones that i find are crackable.

- you can test how the glow works by mining out features then rescanning the asteroid, it'll glow less and less and only in the regions where there are still features (this doesnt work if you prospect it though, that seems to override the glow, find one with the surface abrasion deposits and blow those off and see how the scanner responds)

- if you are having bad luck finding crackable asteroids, warp out and back in again, like Shine said above. and dont be afraid to wander far from the actual marker of the hotspot, that seems to have nothing to do with where the valuable minerals actually are. I went to a serendite hotspot and the first crackable asteroid I found was 30k out from the marker.

- you dont need to prospect to abrasion blast, so if you want to get a troublesome asteroid out of your scanner view, blast the chunks off it so it wont glow any more.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

timn posted:

https://twitter.com/blind_rasputin/status/1074869183773429760?s=21

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:perfect:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

This is fine.

Fenom
Mar 23, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

Mining is better than it was but it's still tedious as gently caress. I'm in a monazite hotspot in a pristine metallic ring and I've used 32 limpets to get 13 tonnes of ore because 90% of what I've found has been worthless poo poo like bertrandite or indite and about half the deposits I did want to collect were immune to the abrasion blaster. I found one crackable asteroid but the transaction server booted me when I started planting charges. :argh:

Is there a half decent guide anywhere to exactly how the pulse wave thing works? Because I see people claiming there's some level of information imparted by how bright a rock is and as far as I can tell that's horseshit - they can be bright loving yellow and have like, one surface deposit on them.

Look for these:

And look for this color:
https://old.reddit.com/r/EliteMiners/comments/a6g1al/asteroid_spotters_video_summary/

After 3-4 hours of core mining about 50% of the ones I think are crackable actually are.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

:discourse:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

So I googled a bit to see if other people had this issue with multi crew: 100% disconnect rate on my crew mate when we exit super cruise. when we entered supercruise it then DC'd us both

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

If I want to change some engineering I've done, can I simply overwrite it or do I need a fresh module?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

clone on the phone posted:

If I want to change some engineering I've done, can I simply overwrite it or do I need a fresh module?

You can overwrite it or just buy a new mod.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
My recommendation for anyone mining, don't go in a big ship and don't fit for anything but blowing them up. All you need is an Abrasion Blaster, a Seismic Charge Launcher, a 1A Refinery, Prospector Limpet, and as much cargo tonnage as you can fit. Collector limpet and a shield highly recommended, although not strictly necessary. You won't burn through a lot of cargo space so long as you don't pick up any non-core materials that will eat your refinery bins and you'll have the speed to rapidly find asteroids with the maneuverability to quickly place charges and blast away internal chunks. Since you need a medium hard point I think the cheapest you could go is an Adder, but a Cobra Mk 3 does the job well and a Mk 4 is just perfect.

Edit:
Also need a Pulse Wave Analyser.

nessin fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 18, 2018

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
Admittedly I haven't had a ton of time to play with the new mechanics, but I've really enjoyed using a Keelback for mining for the hour or so that I've had to do it. It's just barely nimble enough to use any of the mining tools and you've got enough hardpoints to fit all of them plus a mining laser if, like me, you don't actually know what you're doing and so just throw everything at a rock and see what sticks.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think once I get back from my sojourn to Colonia and back and sell the data, i'm going to outfit a Type 10 for boom boom mining.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I originally was gonna use an Anaconda for mining, but downsized to a Python and I'm glad I did. I had never mined before and only found one of those crackable ones (with Serendibite) and made a few million, plus a few other asteroids that I couldn't crack open, but it was fun testing out all the mining tools.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Finally reached my first guardian site and I gotta say navigating it in the buggy is a huge pain in the rear end. Having point defense on my ship was a pro tip though.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

does anyone know why the trade-in value of my Krait is only 11 mil? i think the guns on it alone are worth more than that

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

juggalo baby coffin posted:

does anyone know why the trade-in value of my Krait is only 11 mil? i think the guns on it alone are worth more than that

Are you trying to buy a new ship? The cost of the new one is substracted from the sell value of the old one.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Trade in doesn't count modules. It's just the cost of the ship you paid at 90%. Strip it before you sell it and sell the modules separately. You get 100% back from them.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

oh it turns out my ship is worth much less because of my evil 250 credit bounty

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

clone on the phone posted:

Finally reached my first guardian site and I gotta say navigating it in the buggy is a huge pain in the rear end. Having point defense on my ship was a pro tip though.
When I did it, I flew out there in an Anaconda, drove around for half an hour trying to find a parking spot, and it ended up being so far away that the point defense wouldn't work against the missiles. After spending another 30 minutes figuring out how do engage (find) all the pillars and being flipped constantly I ended up blowing up the SRV. I flew all the way back home, got my DBX, flew back and found a good parking spot... didn't bring an SRV. Flew back to the bubble and bought that SRV, flew back again. Now that was a pain in the rear end, but so worth it to not have to deal with the friggin' missiles sending me to Flipadelphia.

Are they going to do anything about Combat rank moving so slowly? I did a whole medium CZ last night and got 1% rank despite not using an NPC and not muticrewing. I mean Exploration goes wicked fast now thanks to higher payouts and free honk money for everyone. Passenger missions payouts buff Trade rank progression. Getting to "Dangerous" in Combat still requires you to just shoot thousands of higher-ranked space mans as its only means of progression?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Trade in doesn't count modules. It's just the cost of the ship you paid at 90%. Strip it before you sell it and sell the modules separately. You get 100% back from them.

I thought trade in counts everything in the ship, and offers 90% of that value? Meaning if you put a billion dollars into the ship and sell it without stripping the parts, you get 900 million back?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

I thought trade in counts everything in the ship, and offers 90% of that value? Meaning if you put a billion dollars into the ship and sell it without stripping the parts, you get 900 million back?

Nope

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

so i'm kind of in between games at the moment and i heard that there was a massive overhaul update to elite dangerous and was considering picking it up again. i left off burning out trying to get the 500 tons of ore or whatever to unlock the mining engineer. would the new mining system make that faster, or is it just easier to find valuable minerals to sell so the rate at which you're processing ore is kind of unchanged? for exploration, can i still use the little java applet thing to generate a road to riches list to make some decent cash, or is that obsolete now too?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

CapnBry posted:

Are they going to do anything about Combat rank moving so slowly? I did a whole medium CZ last night and got 1% rank despite not using an NPC and not muticrewing. I mean Exploration goes wicked fast now thanks to higher payouts and free honk money for everyone. Passenger missions payouts buff Trade rank progression. Getting to "Dangerous" in Combat still requires you to just shoot thousands of higher-ranked space mans as its only means of progression?
I think xenocide is how you get combat rank now

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Combat rank seems to be a bit better recently but I'm not sure if anything actually changed. Killing thargoid scouts still seems to be the quickest but I got most of my gains from doing combat zones. I'm still only Deadly but it seems to have been coming faster lately. For reference I also have a crew member so it's extra extra slow for me.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

so i'm kind of in between games at the moment and i heard that there was a massive overhaul update to elite dangerous and was considering picking it up again. i left off burning out trying to get the 500 tons of ore or whatever to unlock the mining engineer. would the new mining system make that faster, or is it just easier to find valuable minerals to sell so the rate at which you're processing ore is kind of unchanged? for exploration, can i still use the little java applet thing to generate a road to riches list to make some decent cash, or is that obsolete now too?

If all you want is volume of ore, the old system is probably faster. If you want cash, the new mining system is way better.

Road to riches is still there and better than ever.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
So until I'm able to afford the rest of the components I need for my Type-10, I'm stuck using my Krait Mk II for my deep core mining, which is awesome. After getting used to the lethargy of the Type-10, I can zip in and out of the rocks with incredible precision. Being a long-range explorer-miner is also kind of a viable play style now too, which makes me excited for the possibility of using my ~40Ly jump range to find good systems to sell my minerals, once EDDB starts updating with the new rocks.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Trade in price on my equipped DBX and Vulture are both far far higher than the purchase price though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BattleMaster posted:

Trade in price on my equipped DBX and Vulture are both far far higher than the purchase price though.

It factors in the upgraded modules, I believe.