Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

BattleMaster posted:

Trade in price on my equipped DBX and Vulture are both far far higher than the purchase price though.

Did you upgrade your ship? If so that supports my statement that selling price is 90% of the actual value of the ship, including upgrades/parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

chaosapiant posted:

Did you upgrade your ship? If so that supports my statement that selling price is 90% of the actual value of the ship, including upgrades/parts.

Yes, all core and shields are A or D in addition to other stuff and the dealer will give in excess of 20 million for the vulture and 10 million for the DBX. I'm not interested in selling them but I took note of this when I carefully choose to swap into a ship rather than sell it at the shipyard.

It definitely counts equipment price.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I cannot for the life of me find any of those astroids in this metal rich ring which are supposed to be crackable - I can't even find any with the cracks that show up in night mode (which is a big help, that I hadn't realized people were using), and it's frustrating me so much that I've had to put the game down for a bit and go do something else.

Meanwhile, I'm having lots of fun learning to move around in three-dimentional space again.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I would suggest focusing on the shape to give them away, I could not find visible fractures on some of the asteroids I've cracked

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blimpkin posted:

So until I'm able to afford the rest of the components I need for my Type-10, I'm stuck using my Krait Mk II for my deep core mining, which is awesome. After getting used to the lethargy of the Type-10, I can zip in and out of the rocks with incredible precision. Being a long-range explorer-miner is also kind of a viable play style now too, which makes me excited for the possibility of using my ~40Ly jump range to find good systems to sell my minerals, once EDDB starts updating with the new rocks.

I set up a long exploration fare in my T-6 because I couldn't quite afford a Type-10 fitted out like I want to for mining, but that's my plan too.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
During my long trip back from Maia I'm trying to visit "road to riches" systems. I dropped into a system, scanned the first high value planet, and when I went to lock the second one (orbiting a second star) I realized it was 455k ls away.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Speaking of the Type-10, how is the jump range on that? Is it at all compatible to the better explorations ships?

And speaking of long range mining, wouldn’t as ASP Explorer do ok in that role?

Edit: Just looked it up and the Elite-Wiki says the T10 gets up to 25ly jump range. I hope that doesn't count engineering. I'm guessing the average for a well built mining vessel is between 15-20.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 18, 2018

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

D. Ebdrup posted:

I cannot for the life of me find any of those astroids in this metal rich ring which are supposed to be crackable - I can't even find any with the cracks that show up in night mode (which is a big help, that I hadn't realized people were using), and it's frustrating me so much that I've had to put the game down for a bit and go do something else.

Meanwhile, I'm having lots of fun learning to move around in three-dimentional space again.

You just have to keep looking, captain. My strategy of using third-party tools to locate a Pristine Metallic Ring, dropping in 100km from the hot spot, and flying towards the Nav Point yields 3-4 crackable asteroids per trip (64 limpets). Sorry you're having poo poo luck, but I've had more than a few empty trips myself as well.

Also, I find that when I think I've finally found a crackable, it is one. It's that iconic a shape that I've identified them visually from a great distance. Maybe this clip of me finding a motherlode asteroid will help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB3H-EcBu0E&t=2131s

e: Please disregard the earlier portions of the clip where my power management leaves me dead in the water. Kind of a pantshitting moment when I enter the ring and move to deploy my Pulse Wave Scanner only to go dark, and then get scanned.

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 18, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dick Trauma posted:

During my long trip back from Maia I'm trying to visit "road to riches" systems. I dropped into a system, scanned the first high value planet, and when I went to lock the second one (orbiting a second star) I realized it was 455k ls away.

You only need to fly out to it if you want to do a detailed surface scan. The FSS scanning gets you the amount that Road to Riches says you get. The jury is still out though on how much the surface scanning with the probes gets you.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

iospace posted:

You only need to fly out to it if you want to do a detailed surface scan. The FSS scanning gets you the amount that Road to Riches says you get. The jury is still out though on how much the surface scanning with the probes gets you.

Oh! I didn't realize that. The first few systems I was able to reach the planets so I did the DSS. FSS is that new interface that lets you scroll around looking for literally everything in the system, right?

I was in one of these middle of nowhere systems and brought up the FSS to look at an unidentified signal that was close to my jump in point, and it turned out to be "non-humanoid threat level 6" so I scarpered.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

iospace posted:

I think the point of the surface probing is to locate hotspots for rock collecting, and doesn't really otherwise contribute to the road to riches work.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dick Trauma posted:

Oh! I didn't realize that. The first few systems I was able to reach the planets so I did the DSS. FSS is that new interface that lets you scroll around looking for literally everything in the system, right?

I was in one of these middle of nowhere systems and brought up the FSS to look at an unidentified signal that was close to my jump in point, and it turned out to be "non-humanoid threat level 6" so I scarpered.

Yup, FSS allows you to quick scan an entire system in minutes, it's great.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

iospace posted:

dang i was reading up on the new exploration stuff and was just about to ask this exact question. the FSS scanning can all be done just from where you arrive in the system, no flying out to planets required right? hot diggity daffodil will that speed up a road to riches trip. so the detailed surface scanner is completely unnecessary now?

chaosapiant posted:

I think the point of the surface probing is to locate hotspots for rock collecting, and doesn't really otherwise contribute to the road to riches work.
edit: asked and answered looks like!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

chaosapiant posted:

You get a first mapped credit if you’re first, not sure if you get a payout...

My other question would be if you do get a payout for mapping, is that only landable worlds or do I get cash for mapping HMCs and Water Worlds and whatnot?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I haven't seen any major rock clusters that have shown up, but it'll show volcanoes and such on it!

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

Edit: Just looked it up and the Elite-Wiki says the T10 gets up to 25ly jump range. I hope that doesn't count engineering. I'm guessing the average for a well built mining vessel is between 15-20.
Does that include a Guardian FSD Booster? Cause that could probably get up to 35Ly then.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I started doing core mining last night and I had trouble finding the right asteroids too. What I found though was that once I had found one, I got way more tuned in to others. It took me almost an hour for the first, 30 minutes for the second, and then I could find one every 10-15 minutes or so (plus the time it took me to crack and collect everything).

My strategy became looking for deep gold on the pulse scanner. No part of the asteroid should be reddish or orange. It’s notably more gold. Still, some of those weren’t crackable - and that’s where the shape mostly came in. I still got in the habit of doing prospector flybys just in case my internal radar was off, but once you’re tuned in you know what to look for.

I messed up my approach to the belt and was 200km from a low temp diamonds hotspot, but I still found plenty of rocks of Opal and some other expensive rock I don’t recall the name of, so you can absolutely still hunt outside of a hotspot with good luck. I spent about 2 hours (I think?) and got roughly 80 units that was about 17million in profit. I’m pretty sure my next two hours could be at the very least 1.5x that if not a lot more.

Don’t forget an ablation laser to scrape the “surface” deposits from inside the cracked rock. Also highly recommend a Python. It was the perfect mix of enough collector limpets, cargo space, and maneuverability (for getting between the pieces to scrape up after a blast). I can share my loadout if anyone wants it, but it’s pretty much what you’d expect.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

D. Ebdrup posted:

Did you install a Pulse Wave Scanner in one of your utilities? I didn't when I tried mining last night.
I've also heard that crackable asteroids are more rare in metalic rings.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Mike the TV posted:

Did you install a Pulse Wave Scanner in one of your utilities? I didn't when I tried mining last night.

I’ve also heard but not tested that Rocky rings are actually better for crackables because they have fewer “normal” mineable rocks.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I don't think that's right about not needing to do Detailed Surface Scanning when exploring. From all the research I've done on it and my own experience (~12 hours of road to riches exploration) the big money comes from DSScanning rare planets. Specifically: Terraformable High Metal Content Worlds, Water World's, Earth Like World's, and Ammonia World's. Doing the full DSS on those can give multiple millions per planet and it's a way higher payout than just using the FSS. I'm still fairly new to the game but that's been my experience and it's what all the 3.3 exploration guides mention doing.

The other main thing I've been doing is mining, so I have some advice on that too. From what I can tell, just searching for crackables is a significantly higher payout if all you want is credits. I prefer Ice Rings for cracking for two reasons: there's only really high payout stuff in Ice cores (LTDs are the lowest payout) and also you can search for good prices on LTDs on EDDB and you'll probably get good prices on all the other Ice core stuff at the same station. I've been making round trips to a station that is buying LTDs for 700k and everything else for even more and getting about 70-100mil an hour just cracking Ice Cores. I don't even think the planet I'm using has pristine deposits.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I haven't played since the engineering rework, so does selling exploration data still rank up Farseer, or is it strictly about buying upgrades now?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

You so get a big payout. If you find any water worlds or earth like planets you should detail surface scan them. I got 550k for a water world not too far from the bubble. It’s kind of insane.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I earned around 28 million for a 120 jump trip where I scanned almost every system, but only surface scanned a handful of water planets I found. :getin:

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Doing a surface scan defintiely has an impact on payout prices, although I have no clue how much. I did a run using Roads2Riches last weekend where I should have gotten 28m, and ended up close to double that because I thought when R2R indicated a specific planet that mean go out and surface scan it, not just tag with the FSS.

Edit:
That doesn't mean surface scanning is worth double. I would occasionally surface scan a moon or another planet if they were right next to each other, sometimes I'd scan the wrong planet because I was distracted watching something else, and there are all the FSS planets identified while looking for the right planet on the R2R site.

nessin fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 18, 2018

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'd mentally committed myself to surface scanning the worlds specified by the R2R route so I'm fine with that. Most of them are not so ridiculously far from the jump in point as that one I mentioned. It's going to be a long trip back to Porsche Dock in Unegak Maru but if I don't get blown up along the way it should be very profitable.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Montalvo posted:

I earned around 28 million for a 120 jump trip where I scanned almost every system, but only surface scanned a handful of water planets I found. :getin:

I think that supports surface scanning, since I had a 96 jump RtR route where I DSScanned all nearby (within ~2k LS) valuable worlds and the route was worth about 74 million. It slows things down a bit but it's a huge increase in value. I've seen planets worth 4-5 million by themselves (if you stack the efficiency bonus for using fewer probes, you're the first mapper, or even better the first discoverer).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So I'm out in the black again, because I'm space mad. My current goal is LGM-1, with a stop at the Black Widow Pulsar (IG: PSR J1959+2048) and Cygnus X-1 (IG: V1357 Cygni). Unlike the rush home, this one is being taken a bit more slowly, so I'm stopping to sniff the roses, per se. Some highlights so far:

The DSS Yuyuko Saigyouji, aka "The Cow". Not fully engineered, but engineered enough to get a 66.04LY range with a full load of fuel. Has 2x 5A AMFUs, 1x 3A AFMU, a 6A scoop, and a 5H FSD Booster. She can get out there.

Earth-like I found (not first discovered though, unfortunately).

Purple ship by a purple star

A brown dwarf and 2 gas giants in a trinary system with satellites for each. It's not as apparent without the orbit lines how interesting it is.

Lucky warp-in

Planet side exploration, with some silicate geysers in the distance.

iospace fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 18, 2018

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I'm thinking of dipping back into E:D after a long time out. I'm interested in whatever's new, including ships/lighting.

The last time I played for more than an hour must be about a year ago. I have a 'conda and Corvette on my savegame.

I was using an Xbox One controller and keyboard with the PC but feel the need to try a proper joystick. What's the recommended joystick and throttle combo for E:D?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

apropos man posted:

What's the recommended joystick and throttle combo for E:D?

get one of these: https://www.radiosidewinder.com/product/hotas-for-elite-dangerous/

it's surprisingly okay for the price, and you will know within a couple of hours of using it if you want to return it and upgrade to something silly.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I used a joystick originally but for this go round I'm using an old Xbox 360 controller and I'm finding it a more comfortable option. With both I still had to hit keys on the keyboard but this feels less cumbersome.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

You can get away with a controller if you're doing hauling or exploration. Mining maybe, combat only if you're a masochist or have no other option.

e: I've also been told it's much easier to do SRV work with a controller compared to a HOTAS.

iospace fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 18, 2018

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

iospace posted:

Lucky warp-in

Planet side exploration, with some silicate geysers in the distance.

Owns.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

boar guy posted:

get one of these: https://www.radiosidewinder.com/product/hotas-for-elite-dangerous/

it's surprisingly okay for the price, and you will know within a couple of hours of using it if you want to return it and upgrade to something silly.

Thanks. That price point looks about ideal for me. Buying one of those for PC. Cheers!

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Combat is totally doable on a gamepad. Not as nice as a joystick but hardly worth the negatives reputation it seems to have gotten recently. I played a long time with my 360 pad mapped to do everything without using the keyboard. This was even before the existence of the built-in context menu that was created for the console release of the game.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

AttackBacon posted:

I think that supports surface scanning, since I had a 96 jump RtR route where I DSScanned all nearby (within ~2k LS) valuable worlds and the route was worth about 74 million. It slows things down a bit but it's a huge increase in value. I've seen planets worth 4-5 million by themselves (if you stack the efficiency bonus for using fewer probes, you're the first mapper, or even better the first discoverer).

Yeah, definitely. I was only scanning important planets because I was in a rush to get back to the bubble and outfit my ship for Distant Worlds 2, which sets off on Jan 13th.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mike the TV posted:

Yep, I've been using that to hilight everything with little success. Thank gently caress it doesn't use ressources, that'd suck.

And now for something completely different, namely a trip report:
Since I was having a bit of trouble with an NPC that would warp out despite me out both of its drive engines (which I would think would cause it to not be able to accelerate to FSD speed, but apparently didn't because NPCs cheat), I called in the cavalry.

Despite it being a bit of a hectic situation while I got to learn on-the-spur-of-the-moment wing-configuration with beacons while staying on the tail of a bogie to not let him fire on me, eventually DonVincenzo and pigeon of the Diamond Frogs jumped in on me and took out the Big Baddie in a couple of nanoseconds, because when I requested the big cavalry they didn't take it lightly.

And then it was time for :glomp:
They decide to have a little hug because why not:

And so I didn't get left out, I got invited into the snuggest of hugs too:

All in all, it was a good day in Elite today.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 18, 2018

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

D. Ebdrup posted:

And then it was time for :glomp:
They decide to have a little hug because why not:

And so I didn't get left out, I got invited into the snuggest of hugs too:

All in all, it was a good day in Elite today.

Mods?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I’ve also heard but not tested that Rocky rings are actually better for crackables because they have fewer “normal” mineable rocks.
I'll try this out, probably tomorrow after I get home from finding out I'm still cancer-free, if I'm not too tired.

Also Elite: Dangerous has been helping me keep my mind off that, which it's apparently great for, since I only just remembered it now.

As they were quick to point out, this isn't lewd because it's only the bridges that are touching, not scoops.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

StuG Jeebus posted:

I would suggest focusing on the shape to give them away, I could not find visible fractures on some of the asteroids I've cracked
While that's probably an excellent hint, the pictures I've seen so far have done little in the way of helping me find them since I seem to find nothing but those kind of astroids which when I prospect them turn out not to have any kind of fractures for me to shove charges into. :(

Blimpkin posted:

You just have to keep looking, captain. My strategy of using third-party tools to locate a Pristine Metallic Ring, dropping in 100km from the hot spot, and flying towards the Nav Point yields 3-4 crackable asteroids per trip (64 limpets). Sorry you're having poo poo luck, but I've had more than a few empty trips myself as well.

Also, I find that when I think I've finally found a crackable, it is one. It's that iconic a shape that I've identified them visually from a great distance. Maybe this clip of me finding a motherlode asteroid will help you.
It's probably just my luck that's running dry yet. I found a ring that's metal rich, but I'm not sure that's what I'm supposed to be looking after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children

Here's a closer look. Everything is fine.