Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oxxidation posted:

probably means the moment-to-moment dialogue and character writing

dishonored has some excellent setting and worldbuilding concepts but all of the people populating that world have so little life and charisma that they're basically scruffy pullstring dolls, so it's all wasted

Yeah dishonored 2 was terribly written, which is a pity since its such an evocative setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

sebmojo posted:

Yeah dishonored 2 was terribly written, which is a pity since its such an evocative setting.
It also ruined a bunch of the interesting lore the first game had, namely what The Outsider was. First game implied that he was a space whale which tied into the underlying lore that all the whales in the Dishonored world are actually a fully sentient species and humans are just using them for fuel to kickstart their Industrial Revolution. 2 just changed it to The Outsider being some kid that got sacrificed by some no name cultists centuries ago.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 18, 2018

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Can you guys suggest me good relaxing games on Steam? Any genre goes! I've been playing Glass Masquerade while listening to some of my favorite ambient albums and it's such a good way to unwind.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Mystic Stylez posted:

Can you guys suggest me good relaxing games on Steam? Any genre goes! I've been playing Glass Masquerade while listening to some of my favorite ambient albums and it's such a good way to unwind.

All 3 Hexcells. I like Farming Simulator and Truck Simulators as well, not too overly complex but enough to just get into it.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Mystic Stylez posted:

Hero of the Kingdom and the sequel are two of the chillest games I know on Steam. Avoid the third one, though, they lost sight of what made those games good when they put that one together.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mystic Stylez posted:

The Quell series. Chillest puzzle games ever.
Also Anno 1404 but that's a bit more complex.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mystic Stylez posted:

Graveyard Keeper
Stardwe Valley
Anno 1404

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Mystic Stylez posted:

Obulis. Logistical. Mirror Drop.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

It also ruined a bunch of the interesting lore the first game had, namely what The Outsider was. First game implied that he was a space whale which tied into the underlying lore that all the whales in the Dishonored world are actually a fully sentient species and humans are just using them for fuel to kickstart their Industrial Revolution. 2 just changed it to The Outsider being some kid that got sacrificed by some no name cultists centuries ago.

That was the lore in the first one too though? It wasn't as explicitly forward but it was clear that that was what had happened.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

Graveyard Keeper

I'd give this a negative recommendation for a relaxing game actually. Graveyard Keeper becomes about balancing a LOT of plates even if it, iirc, doesn't have a lose condition.

I'd also like to add the obligatory Cities: Skylines.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
You don't need to balance any plates in Graveyard Keeper. You can just drop all plates except one and just concentrate on doing that for some hours and then come and pick up any other plates you want, they don't break or anything. You can spend as much or as little time on any of the aspects as you want, as long as you eventually at some point do it. There's no penalties for procrastination or, like, loving off from civilization for two weeks straight to go Hobo In The Woods and do nothing but mine the quarry.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

HenryEx posted:

You don't need to balance any plates in Graveyard Keeper. You can just drop all plates except one and just concentrate on doing that for some hours and then come and pick up any other plates you want, they don't break or anything. You can spend as much or as little time on any of the aspects as you want, as long as you eventually at some point do it. There's no penalties for procrastination or, like, loving off from civilization for two weeks straight to go Hobo In The Woods and do nothing but mine the quarry.

yeah this, theres no fail, no "oh poo poo i'll miss that event". Stardew can be way more stressful if you're trying to accomplish X by someones birthday or party. you can literally just do one thing without any consequence and theres not even a "Day" coutner to make you feel bad that you're at day 452 with only being 1/10th done.

i'd say its pretty much the perfect chill game just because there's no balancing acts you need to do and no timers or anything. gently caress around as much as you want, it doesn't matter

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Too Shy Guy posted:

:tfrxmas: Roguemas IV: (D)eck the Halls :tfrxmas:

It was the last entry, but I gotta also recommend Card Quest. It is just a genuinely great game. There's a lot of content for the price too.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I thought Graveyard Keeper was supposed to be kinda bad? Have they patched it or I'm remembering wrong?

Also thanks for the suggestions and keep 'em coming, most of them I already have but I added some to my wishlist!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mystic Stylez posted:

I thought Graveyard Keeper was supposed to be kinda bad? Have they patched it or I'm remembering wrong?

Also thanks for the suggestions and keep 'em coming, most of them I already have but I added some to my wishlist!

It's very good and added a way to have zombies do automated tasks for you, so you can have a giant farm n mining n tree chopping operation all fully automated and heavily sperg out if you want to. or you don't have to. but it cuts down on menial work and adds a lot.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Graveyard Keeper has a lot of questionable design choices that do not respect your time as a player, but if you're playing it to just chill and interact with something anyway then I think that's not a big deal. It's like cilantro, for some people it's fine but absolutely there are people for whom it just tastes like soap.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

"does this game respect my time" is the new "does this game have a jump button"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mystic Stylez posted:

Wandersong
LYNE
GRIS

I weirdly get the most relaxation from certain parts of games that can otherwise be extremely un-relaxing: billiards, karaoke, or Club Sunshine in Yakuza 0; using the recyclers in Prey; long horse rides in Assassin's Creed Origins; crafting and inventory management in Alien: Isolation; any unoccupied rooms in ECHO.

If you don't mind fifty hours of anime rear end JRPG, then I've always found Trails of Cold Steel to be a very relaxing game too. The atmosphere on free days is always cozy as hell and even the combat has this kind of anti-challenge where you're looking for new ways to break it over your knee instead of ever struggling to win.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Its the new "I have a job and don't have time for pointless bullshit"

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Sorry about all video games

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Mystic Stylez posted:

Relaxing games are what I'm all about lately.

Everyday Genius: SquareLogic
A relaxing puzzle game with a really huge number of puzzles. Makes a really great podcast or TV game.

My Time at Portia
An atmospheric and cozy life-sim game with light combat, mining, farming, NPC quests, decorating, etc. It's still in EA so it's had some really funky bugs but it's a very enjoyable experience IMO.

World's Dawn
Similarly, a life-sim and farming game that had the misfortune of releasing the month before Stardew Valley. Also made by a solo dev, it takes completely different parts of the Harvest Moon DNA to provide a game that's really light on farming but big on charm and character, nice events, and I enjoy the writing. The dev also has another game out soon, A Story Beside, which looks very nice.

Slime Rancher
Collect and breed the cutest slimes! The game was already very chill from the beginning, but they've also added a Casual mode for people who just want to relax and not deal with any threats.

Castaway Paradise
Kind of like having Animal Crossing on PC. While it's obviously not a $60 Nintendo product, it's cute enough, and the PC version removes all the microtransactions, making it a pleasant little town experience, with quests, museums, decoratable house, etc.

Plenty more I'm sure but those are the first ones that came to mind! I definitely second Hero of the Kingdom!

e: i forgot to note that you can be gay in Portia and World's Dawn, castaway is just full of animal people and you're human so no dating

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 18, 2018

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

hemale in pain posted:

It's one of those games I will 100% finally have to upgrade my PC for (referring to Cyberpunk 2077)

Its going to be on consoles right? You won't have to upgrade anything if you can run current gen stuff. Nobody makes games that exceed current console hardware.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Nominees for Game of the Year
PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
HITMAN™ 2
Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Wow 2018 loving sucked

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Just put Witcher 3 up there again.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
Red Dead Redemption 2 gets loving robbed once again

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Grapplejack posted:

Nominees for Game of the Year
PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
HITMAN™ 2
Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Wow 2018 loving sucked
Play more indie games.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Accordion Man posted:

Play more indie games.

Any suggestions? Like, truly GOTY stuff, not just stuff you found mildly interesting.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Any suggestions? Like, truly GOTY stuff, not just stuff you found mildly interesting.

Celeste, Into The Breach, Obra Dinn, to name the blatantly popular ones, there's probably some obscure stuff that the more well-informed goons know about.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

GRIS is incredible.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Unavowed, Dusk, The Missing, Obra Dinn, Lamplight City, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, Deltarune, and on the more AA side of things Pillars of Eternity 2.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

CrossCode
Into the Breach
La Mulana 2
Synthetik
Obra Dinn

not truly GOTY but really liked:
The Messenger
Timespinner
Graveyard Keeper
Dungeon Warfare 2
Overcooked 2

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Samuringa posted:

Its the new "I have a job and don't have time for pointless bullshit"

i think all the "games should be shorter" takes over the last few years are more or less because a large generation of gamers just got out of college and got full time jobs

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think all the "games should be shorter" takes over the last few years are more or less because a large generation of gamers just got out of college and got full time jobs

And also, games should be shorter.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
No game is too long or too short- only poorly paced. - Feels Villeneuve

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Pretend i posted Guybrush here but he says "Never play a game for more than an afternoon"

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
There isn't a single jRPG in the world that can justify its length

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Samuringa posted:

There isn't a single jRPG in the world that can justify its length

Final Fantasy X. :colbert:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I want more bang for my buck like I spend 5 bucks on a game and I want it to last 200 hours.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Meanwhile, I'm still salty that Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 added a jump button :kratos:

Dead Cells

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Final Fantasy X. :colbert:
-II