Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

EthanSteele posted:

You can heal them with spirits and also they don't move until certain turns and will defend before then so the later one is not the worst it could have been.

I'm still mad about that stage on 2ndOGs where the solution is two pair up and cast confuse and then split again.

I'm frightened because I have no idea on how to do that or what it does, I'm still in the "drowning in menus" stage, but I'm going to do my best with the advice I was just given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm also making my way through Moon Dwellers with only like 1 other games worth of SRW experience under my belt and what i've learnt is if there's an SR point that looks really annoying or overly difficult it's best to just ignore it completely. Sure you can spend an extra 5 turns bringing bosses as close to the retreat point as possible switching out twins and manoeuvring Support Attacks to maximise damage while save scumming a 50% chance to hit because you're out of SP and somehow forgot to bring anyone with Inspire, but it never feels completely worth it.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Lol nope, strike works with the regular grunts but then the spy black cannon units are in defense formation with high evade, so even if it lands, the only attacks my units have that have "barrier penetration" can't be picked because there's never enough Will available. They're usually the finisher attacks, the big flashy ones. Kota and Akemi usually hit hard but run out of will in Compatible Kaiser and Soulsaber FF. Calvina is useless and has terrible defense, the HagWane's cannons are useless, Josh can deal damage but misses 50/50.

This is only mission 10 on Touya's route! I believe it's called Larseilam. To get the SR point you must defeat all grunt enemies in 4 turns, which would be doable but Orgone Cloud is broken as gently caress, plus you start too far out so there's a complete turn where no damage is being dealt.

TL;DR: black cannon spy grunts are impossible, my units do not yet have the tools or upgrades to defeat them within 4 turns. And I wanted to keep playing so bad.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sometimes you just have to accept that it's too much of a pain to get the skill point on your first playthrough and you'll get it on NG+ with all that extra cash.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Ka0 posted:

Lol nope, strike works with the regular grunts but then the spy black cannon units are in defense formation with high evade, so even if it lands, the only attacks my units have that have "barrier penetration" can't be picked because there's never enough Will available. They're usually the finisher attacks, the big flashy ones. Kota and Akemi usually hit hard but run out of will in Compatible Kaiser and Soulsaber FF. Calvina is useless and has terrible defense, the HagWane's cannons are useless, Josh can deal damage but misses 50/50.

This is only mission 10 on Touya's route! I believe it's called Larseilam. To get the SR point you must defeat all grunt enemies in 4 turns, which would be doable but Orgone Cloud is broken as gently caress, plus you start too far out so there's a complete turn where no damage is being dealt.

TL;DR: black cannon spy grunts are impossible, my units do not yet have the tools or upgrades to defeat them within 4 turns. And I wanted to keep playing so bad.

Set it to easy, enjoy extra funds every stage and not having to deal with stupid allied grunts unless you actually want to.

Also, Calvina is ridiculously amazing, especially once you get her a partner with an ALL attack on a similar range-band. Yon was my go-to partner for her, using the Ashsaber (:v:) once I got it, and the new ranged unit you get when Calvina upgrades as her partner afterwards. Be aware, she will eat everything on the map if you let her loose, because anything that stubles into ALL attack range dies hilariously.

Also also, you've reached the combined route now, all the stages from 10-22 happen the same way no matter what choice you made at the start.

One note about the spies, IIRC they don't gain will as their allies die, unlike regular Fury grunts, so the most common reason for Orgone Cloud activation isn't an issue with them (namely regular Fury grunts you get to kill only o many before the rest get pissed enough to actually use their barriers)

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Ka0 posted:

For that SR point in particular I believe pairing up your units so you can use Raid/Violent Assault or whatever the twin spell is that gives you Smite is the key, Ing and Kai have it so having them paired with different people and having enough SP on both members means you have four people that ignore all the nonsense. Smite makes you ignore barriers, support defends and any other defensive skill like Guard and Prevail/Potential (and maybe double-images too?) so its super useful for hell formations like that. Rai has Smite as a spell, but I don't know if he has it at that point or if he needs more levels. Maximum Break is also a really strong mechanic but can be pretty tough to get your head around.

Its possible to complete every SR point without upgrades to pilot or mech but there's usually a particular strat or trick to it and upgrades mostly give you leeway, though there are some that seem pretty savescummy sometimes and SR points for stages that have units join are usually the trickiest because you'll never have any upgrades on them no matter what run you're on. There's no true ending for getting a certain amount in MD, its purely for the bonus resources so I wouldn't stress out about getting them, especially if you don't know the general strats for going fast and bopping nerds.

A common mistake is to overspend on SP when you don't really need to Concentrate or Strike every turn because defending and using supports is way stronger than you think and being damaged isn't the worst thing in the world. Will management can also be rough and there are SR points where you really need a core unit to do enough work to get its finisher at the right time without draining so much that everybody else is still in baby mode.

I'd also advise changing some of the default pair setups. Kyosuke + Excellen and Arado + Seolla as pairs are incredibly suboptimal. Arado and Seolla's strength is their super cheap combo attack and having them paired together means you get to do it once a turn + 0 other attacks, whereas if they're separate you can get 2+supports which helps a lot on dealing with Orgone units because all combo attacks pierce barriers iirc. Kyosuke and Excellen are similar except their movesets are completely incompatible on top of the rad combo move being wasted. I've spent way too many hours crunching move speeds and weapon ranges to get strong twins because I'm a dipshit.

Good luck and get rid those dang moonmen.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

SRW DD is out in beta right now and footage is coming out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5GXi9rUEHc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-UM52UYe4g

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Animations looking surprisingly not bad. Not up to mainline or anything, but pretty good for a mobile game. Everything looks weirdly fast though.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

What are the chances of it getting any kind of English translation, even if we have to sideload it or something?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Hunter Noventa posted:

What are the chances of it getting any kind of English translation, even if we have to sideload it or something?

In light of the fact that their initial announcement mentioned Hong Kong and Taiwan releases but not a SEA release, not great.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

EthanSteele posted:

Good luck and get rid those dang moonmen.

I nearly did it, it came down to one missed attack on turn 4 but I'm getting the hang of it so I know it's possible. Thanks for the tips.

e: Did it. I chained Kai to Katina and Ing to Latooni. Rest was all Raid+Strike and all the annoying black spy robots went down in exactly 4 turns.

Ka0 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 16, 2018

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was thinking again today about Fantasy Maiden Wars (while listening to the soundtrack, as I still do regularly) and wondering if anyone SRW staff has played it. I'm more excited about SRWT than I thought I would be, but I would be even more excited about any news about that, either a new game, or a remake of the first one, or even just a console port of one or more of them. But as others have said, maybe Sanbondo is just done with that and on to other things.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Samurai Sanders posted:

I was thinking again today about Fantasy Maiden Wars (while listening to the soundtrack, as I still do regularly) and wondering if anyone SRW staff has played it. I'm more excited about SRWT than I thought I would be, but I would be even more excited about any news about that, either a new game, or a remake of the first one, or even just a console port of one or more of them. But as others have said, maybe Sanbondo is just done with that and on to other things.

Sanbondo recently announced that FMW Complete Box (working title) is in development. Full compilation of 1-4.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hokuto posted:

Sanbondo recently announced that FMW Complete Box (working title) is in development. Full compilation of 1-4.
For PC? Playing PC games is just a pain in the rear end for me these days.

I'll probably buy it anyway though. Besides being some of my favorite SRW games they are one of the three Touhou fan things I care about anymore, alongside M-1 Grand Prix and Mysterious Gensokyo (of which the next game will start out on the PS4/Switch).

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 16, 2018

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Samurai Sanders posted:

For PC? Playing PC games is just a pain in the rear end for me these days.

Yeah, so far there's zero indication that they'd publish their game outside of being a doujin PC game.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I saw that an FMW4 LP had started so I need to get back on to finishing 2 and 3.

Ka0 posted:

I nearly did it, it came down to one missed attack on turn 4 but I'm getting the hang of it so I know it's possible. Thanks for the tips.

e: Did it. I chained Kai to Katina and Ing to Latooni. Rest was all Raid+Strike and all the annoying black spy robots went down in exactly 4 turns.

Hell yeah!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Do you have any tips for maps where enemies start off away and it's necessary to kill them as quick as possible? I could pick pilots with the "extra move" buff, or I could pick robots with better mobility, or robots with superior terrain handling so they aren't as affected by hills or buildings.
Or I could pick transforming robots. Or maybe board everyone into the Hiryu/HagWane and then unload when arriving, I wonder which one is best.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ka0 posted:

Do you have any tips for maps where enemies start off away and it's necessary to kill them as quick as possible? I could pick pilots with the "extra move" buff, or I could pick robots with better mobility, or robots with superior terrain handling so they aren't as affected by hills or buildings.
Or I could pick transforming robots. Or maybe board everyone into the Hiryu/HagWane and then unload when arriving, I wonder which one is best.

It depends on the size of the stage. If you can get into counterattack range on the first turn, rush ahead. If it's any further than that, load up on the battleship, cast accel, rush in. On the second turn, drop off each of your units at their optimal range.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Ka0 posted:

I try and make sure every twin has accel.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
What would be the best place to get the FMW games? I am kind of interested and I thought I heard there were translation patches for the first three games.

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
You can get them digital from dlsite.

The patches are here.

Unfortunately I'm not sure if the dlsite versions of the first two games are compatible with the English patches. You may end up having to find older versions of them through the usual touhou means to play them in English.

KoB
May 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/1074980911957958656

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Full Shuffle Alliance attack in HD hell yes.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
HD Master Gundam

HD Gundam Spiegal

these things can and will happen, it will be glorious

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm still sad we'll never see the Master Asia/Grahf villain team up.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

God I hope Square lets this happen one day. It needs to.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
And here I am merely hoping for the return of the Master/God Gundam brofist combo attack from A portable.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yes, this would be amazing. Devil Gundam + Deus for an epic boss battle while we're at it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Raxivace posted:

God I hope Square lets this happen one day. It needs to.

Unfortunately Square-Enix went with gacha and defunct robot PC games for the Xeno 20th anniversary celebrations :(

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

And Grahf giving "the power" to minor antagonists suddenly making them real threats.

Like Jerid.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

MonsieurChoc posted:

And Grahf giving "the power" to minor antagonists suddenly making them real threats.

Like Jerid.

Master Asia already gave Jerid "The Power" in dynasty warriors gundam and it was glorious.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ryoga posted:

Master Asia already gave Jerid "The Power" in dynasty warriors gundam and it was glorious.

See!? Their evil frindship is destined to be.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

It's not too important but once you acquire them, in Moon Dwellers, who do you usually assign to the Ashsaviour, Fortegigas, Vaisaga and Garmraid Blaze?
Don't really care since I'm only focusing on PTs based off real robits.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Fortegigas, Garmaid, and Vaisaga can only be used by the characters from their original games so they can't really be assigned to anyone. Ashsavior is basically Nu Gundam, or any Gundam unit with funnels, so it might fit into you criteria of being based on a real robot

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Ka0 posted:

It's not too important but once you acquire them, in Moon Dwellers, who do you usually assign to the Ashsaviour, Fortegigas, Vaisaga and Garmraid Blaze?
Don't really care since I'm only focusing on PTs based off real robits.

I found myself sticking Yon into the Ashsavior, but anyone with a good ranged stat would work there.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

I relied on Calvina a little too much in MD. I had to purposely feed kills to the others.

No regrets though.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I've also started upgrading some robots, Belzelute for instance, higher accuracy so Calvina won't miss half of the time. Mobility for the Granteed. I assume spending money on Gilliam's gespenst which is made of paper is not a good investment?
On the topic of increasing pilot skills, when do you actually start to have enough AP to actually upgrade pilot skills, or is it all a pipe dream.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I hope the next OG remembers to give Gilliam an upgrade.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

MarsDragon posted:

Can't wait for Kamen Rider Jaeger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

MarsDragon posted:

XN-Geist! XN-Geist!