Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Lindsay has a master’s in this stuff, right? I imagine some of these creators are well-read, but are limited to keeping it at a 101 level to make it accessible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Most titles that get dropped in videos and video description fields are worth reading. There’s always going to be less engagement with texts in videos because they unfold over time and have to fill the video with something, unless they’re straight lectures.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Pants Donkey posted:

Lindsay has a master’s in this stuff, right? I imagine some of these creators are well-read, but are limited to keeping it at a 101 level to make it accessible.

To be clear I didn't mean that as a criticism of Lindsay, she obviously knows her poo poo.
Just I would hope that Lindsay's videos could inspire people to be like "these ideas are interesting, where can I read more about them" instead of "I know everything about Structuralism now because of Transformers, and now I'm an authority on Media Criticism." [sets up webcam]

[edit: I also have a Master's not in film studies but one that focused mostly on literary criticism, and I flatter myself to think I can tell when someone's touting the exact wrong amount of knowledge without having (m)any primary sources under their belts. I don't want to rag on Sarah Z since she seems intelligent and sincere, and I'd give her video an A if it was a class project or whatever, but also that's what it felt like. Just, y'know, don't rely on Youtube for your education.]

Bonaventure fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 18, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

is mr pudding still doing the thing where he calls everyone else a bunch of race obsessed sjws but he still literally markets himself as 'the leading hispanic sci-fi writer' or whatever?

It's been fun watching Ian Cheong stumble in like CG's drunk uncle and do his thing, because he is suddenly very passionate about comics apparently.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Quinton is getting flak because he gloated over Mumkey Jones losing his channel. Which is kind of hosed up. Mumkey put all his videos on private to try to save his channel and the final guideline strike was on a private video with no views, so youtube themselves wanted to kill his channel. I know he's not this thread's kind of channel but it's obviously satire. Basedshaman and Cuestar already deleted all their incel videos over this but I wouldn't have a channel anyway if I did that so I'm probably not going to. I liked Quinton's videos before this but his reaction to being criticized is pretty bad.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I don't know who any of those people are

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

quinton reviews is a bearded fellow that reviews youtube stuff like their bad movies.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Bonaventure posted:

That Sarah Z video ought to have ended not with "learn about media criticism by watching better youtube channels on it" but "learn about media criticism by reading better books on it," which I suspect most internet critics haven't done. I love Lindsay Ellis and her videos on critical theory especially, but they're just a starting point. Like, there's been roughly 2,400 years of this stuff.

Any good ones you wanna suggest?

Though I tend to stick with the video essays because I can do housework and work on art while doing them, which doesn't tend to be the case with books. Also most of the critics on YT tend to make sure to make things accessible to people who aren't already eyeballs-deep in academia, which also doesn't tend to be the case with books. Like, yeah, I'd like to educate myself but if everything is built on an entire college major's worth of reading it just ain't worth it.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

It kinda seemed to me that this Mumkey Jones thing (not that I've heard of him) was what set Boogie off, being that the alternatives were him being set off by the banning of Laura Loomer or Amos freakin Yee. Not that I wouldn't expect Boogie to look at anything beyond a total surface level.

I've never really watched Quinton Reviews but he's kinda in with the people who basically get on with everybody regardless of stance (folks like shoe for example who seem to get on with everyone. Chris Ray Gun kinda seems like he's close to being there too)

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Who is Mumkey Jones and why should anyone care about them

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Puppy Time posted:

I think he plays guitar for KoRn

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

I'm sure you wouldn't care about his channel but he was taken down in a single day by three nonsensical flags that youtube themselves initiated, seemingly. One was for graphic imagery. He reached out to Trusted Flagger and Keemstar (I know, he sucks) and they both couldn't help him. Youtube is, I guess, deleting edgy channels now.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Good.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Does Keemstar hang out in a storm-drain or is that just an invention of Content Cop?

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
As edgy as Mumkey Jones was, he didn't seem like he was flirting with the alt-right that much. Then again, I only watched a handful of his videos, so I may have missed some lovely views. That E;R guy PewDiePie :airquote:accidently:airquote: boosted is a way more grosser and dangerous YouTube edgelord.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

I should have been more specific. He's edgy but he's not political. And it's clear he plays a character that he doesn't in his live streams. He mostly built his channel off making fun of Elliot Rodger.

Edit: As did I, yes. So I might have been paying a little more attention to this.

my parents boyfriend fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 19, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Equeen posted:

Sarah Z put out a pretty decent video on bad media criticism on YouTube. She mentions a lot of familiar names:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsIKdZZxmZ8

this is a very good video

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Does Keemstar hang out in a storm-drain or is that just an invention of Content Cop?

He’s the Perez Hilton of the e-famous generation, a dude who got rich and famous* by being an amoral gawker and fart amplifier, with the added bonus of being a complete rear end in a top hat too. So maybe?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Bonaventure posted:

[edit: I also have a Master's not in film studies but one that focused mostly on literary criticism, and I flatter myself to think I can tell when someone's touting the exact wrong amount of knowledge without having (m)any primary sources under their belts. I don't want to rag on Sarah Z since she seems intelligent and sincere, and I'd give her video an A if it was a class project or whatever, but also that's what it felt like. Just, y'know, don't rely on Youtube for your education.]

that's a weirdly patronizing way to compliment and agree with the video?

Puppy Time posted:

Though I tend to stick with the video essays because I can do housework and work on art while doing them, which doesn't tend to be the case with books. Also most of the critics on YT tend to make sure to make things accessible to people who aren't already eyeballs-deep in academia, which also doesn't tend to be the case with books. Like, yeah, I'd like to educate myself but if everything is built on an entire college major's worth of reading it just ain't worth it.

this is a big issue i have with literary criticism as an academic field at large, honestly, a lot of it feels incestuous to me be that on purpose or just the 'natural' result of being locked behind walls of money and time. I took a class on visual literacy last year and I thought the text book "Visual Literacy' by David Moore was really good at being accessible eeeexcept it's out of date, out of print, and i'm pretty sure the pdf copy the teacher gave us was technically piracy, haha.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

AriadneThread posted:

that's a weirdly patronizing way to compliment and agree with the video?

my condolences

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Puppy Time posted:

Youtube recommended a video from him to me one time where it was like him reviewing some loving children's book movie or whatever. I randomly clicked it to see what he had on his channel and it was basically filled with elliot rodger videos lmao. I distinctly remember this because it was the first time I had seen someone anywhere online praise and defend that guy.

Anyway yeah gently caress that dude (id dint watch any of his poo poo so I may be wrong lmao)

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 19, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
nah dude it was super weird to be all 'heh, not bad for an amateur' and act like somehow the youtube video about other youtube video needs to present a study course of books when the entire point of the medium is to make things accessible and easy for anyone to get.

Plus the general academia fetishizing thing where people are all 'yea but unless you read this book by some old white dude who probably thought some crazy poo poo but there's one really solid chapter so it keeps getting passed around you're not really doing it' can die super fast.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

sexpig by night posted:

nah dude it was super weird to be all 'heh, not bad for an amateur' and act like somehow the youtube video about other youtube video needs to present a study course of books when the entire point of the medium is to make things accessible and easy for anyone to get.

Plus the general academia fetishizing thing where people are all 'yea but unless you read this book by some old white dude who probably thought some crazy poo poo but there's one really solid chapter so it keeps getting passed around you're not really doing it' can die super fast.

sorry for discussing the YouTube video in the YouTube video discussion thread instead of posting a tweet from somebody loathsome

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Apparently the people in this thread aren't the only ones sick of Star Wars chat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QENPSTkTeSw&t=26s

Linkara's normally pretty chill during his intros, for him to get this worked up (even in character) takes a lot :stare:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

sexpig by night posted:

i believe their point was less that it's amateur but more often than not the medium itself necessarily limits discussion to introductory analysis (because otherwise it's not accessible and easy for everyone to get) and as a result doesn't serve as an accessible entry point into analysis for many people but a summary of all there is. like how everyone does 101 psych and immediately becomes an unlicensed therapist.

there's a good reason people are like "you should probably read this book by some old white dude" and when it's not just because the lecturer wrote it, it's usually because that old white dude's ideas form the basis for where people read that book and went "wait, that's not quite right" and then built on those ideas and modes of thinking with the assumption that readers would be familiar with the earlier work, much the same way that, say, the gospels assume the reader's familiarity with the tanakh.
certainly there can be an over-adherence to one particular way of thinking in a field of study, but the answer to that is not to eschew reading a book - it's to read more books.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr.Radar posted:

Linkara's normally pretty chill during his intros, for him to get this worked up (even in character) takes a lot :stare:

That is the most out of his entire mind I've ever seen Lewis be about anything.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr.Radar posted:

Apparently the people in this thread aren't the only ones sick of Star Wars chat:

he is right and i know that feeling. i get sick of the last jedi debate and everyone turns it into some sort of political Rorschach test or how some dipshit made a fully illustraited "kids" book on twitter about how the movie was bad. like i can't even find groups to talk about star wars anymore because it turns into a poo poo throwing deal everytime.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Reading books is good imo. An ok bridge into reading books might be Doug Lain’s Zero Books youtube channel and podcast, which starts with dumb culture detritus like everyone’s favorite ahedonic frog Jordan Peterson and works toward good ideas and titles. Also, just reading the titles and authors that come up in a video you like can be a great way to get into ideas worth thinking about. The Managed Heart, for example, came up in (I think) Lindsay’s last transformers video, and that book is fantastic, timely (moreso than when it was written), and accessible.

Philosophy Tube used to have a monthly-ish feature where he’d talk about 3-5 books he read that month, and that was a great way to get good book recommendations.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

AriadneThread posted:

this is a big issue i have with literary criticism as an academic field at large, honestly, a lot of it feels incestuous to me be that on purpose or just the 'natural' result of being locked behind walls of money and time. I took a class on visual literacy last year and I thought the text book "Visual Literacy' by David Moore was really good at being accessible eeeexcept it's out of date, out of print, and i'm pretty sure the pdf copy the teacher gave us was technically piracy, haha.

It's kind of an issue within academics in general. Like, it's understandable, because the academics all have basically the same knowledge base and thus can easily jump into the deep end, but if you're not in college and just trying to figure poo poo out as a neophyte, it gets real difficult to find a good starting point.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Reading books is good imo. An ok bridge into reading books might be Doug Lain’s Zero Books youtube channel and podcast, which starts with dumb culture detritus like everyone’s favorite ahedonic frog Jordan Peterson and works toward good ideas and titles. Also, just reading the titles and authors that come up in a video you like can be a great way to get into ideas worth thinking about. The Managed Heart, for example, came up in (I think) Lindsay’s last transformers video, and that book is fantastic, timely (moreso than when it was written), and accessible.

Philosophy Tube used to have a monthly-ish feature where he’d talk about 3-5 books he read that month, and that was a great way to get good book recommendations.

god, i miss idea channel for this kind of thing

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I don't know if this is the right thread for this but Potential History did a second video on why Nazi Germany could not have won WW2. He's a channel that mostly makes humor videos about WW2 but also makes the occasional serious video to tell wehraboos that they're wrong.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Lily Orchard sounds insane.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Puppy Time posted:

It's kind of an issue within academics in general. Like, it's understandable, because the academics all have basically the same knowledge base and thus can easily jump into the deep end, but if you're not in college and just trying to figure poo poo out as a neophyte, it gets real difficult to find a good starting point.

It depends, Academics is still riddled with factions and orthodoxies. Its not uncommon for the same modules on the same courses to be incompatible because of the lecturers or the universities or even region they're taught in.

This is why a lot of new ideas are given names like "Chicago School Economics" and "Continental Philosophy" its a recognition that they grew out of a subcurrent.

There isn't really a global community of thinkers debating and discussing from every angle, with access to all the information. its largely gated off and students are dependent on their faculties, the library and what ever online journals and archives that Uni has a deal with.

Its an atmosphere that's ripe for stimulating consensus and in some cases groupthink.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Baka-nin posted:

It depends, Academics is still riddled with factions and orthodoxies. Its not uncommon for the same modules on the same courses to be incompatible because of the lecturers or the universities or even region they're taught in.

This is why a lot of new ideas are given names like "Chicago School Economics" and "Continental Philosophy" its a recognition that they grew out of a subcurrent.

There isn't really a global community of thinkers debating and discussing from every angle, with access to all the information. its largely gated off and students are dependent on their faculties, the library and what ever online journals and archives that Uni has a deal with.

Its an atmosphere that's ripe for stimulating consensus and in some cases groupthink.

It varies between departments. Anthropology as a discipline is rather cutthroat and egotistical, so much so that it was breath of fresh air when I switched over to Neurology. Quickly realized that openness seems to correlate with how much money you are getting.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Puppy Time posted:

I think that's fine! Not everyone needs a full and comprehensive background in this stuff -- but if you're going to be a YouTube critic and make videos talking about "bad media criticism" and such or want to engage in that kind of analysis, that's when it might be a good idea to have a deeper dive.

That said I've been trying to think of recommendations, but I'm being stymied by how long it's been since I was involved in academia (I've internalized a lot of what I know and forgotten where I learned it from), plus everything Baka-nin said which is correct. My own "school" of criticism is syncretic but I definitely have my biases against Continental Criticism and similar schools, and so recommending individual authors has the danger of advocating one particular school to the exclusion of others. A big problem that criticism post-1930 or so has is ignoring much that came before it, and each school sort of pretending that they "solved" or "disproved" the earlier schools they were made in reaction to. So you have misconceptions arising like the idea that authorial intent is a settled debate with absolute consensus.

Given all these issues I think if you really want to learn more in-depth about academic criticism, you'd really want to look for a textbook that contextualizes things and contains excerpts from or whole primary documents. Since I'm not an educator, I can't say what's any good unfortunately. Like, maybe the Norton Anthology of Theory, but I'm not sure if it's accessible or if the editors have annotated the sources enough to be useful for someone just getting into it. (I'd say look for something with foundational texts like Longinus' On the Sublime at least, but I'm old-fashioned).

Sorry for the non-answer and again I think having cursory knowledge of academic criticism from folks like Lindsay is fine if you're not aiming to get involved in the field or creating essays where this kind of thing is helpful. Like, going deep into academic criticism is not going to change your life for the better. In fact, nobody should do it. oh jesus what is my life

Bonaventure fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Dec 19, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Baka-nin posted:

And abuse. Don't forget abuse.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Mr.Radar posted:

Oh lordy, watching that introduction was supremely satisfying. For a whole year, the Star Wars fandom on YouTube has been a toxic garbage dump, and Linkara just put into words and tone how I feel about it, the frustration that the hate started and never stopped and I am so so loving sick of it. It feels good to hear someone literally screaming at the YouTube comments section for once.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
So The TRY Channel had a video go viral earlier this week, "Irish People Try America's Strongest Alcohol (95%, 190 Proof)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsUtcrQ7M0c

I thought that the best part of that video was Leather Jacket Guy. I looked him up and he has a YouTube channel called AreYaHavingThat. I'm just getting sucked into the wacky stuff on his show and the drink "reviews" (I'm sure it's just an excuse to have fun and get drunk on camera). I know it'll probably be grating for some people, but I'm into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4bB9HoXQ2E

https://twitter.com/AreYaHavingThat/status/1074727103088787456

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
STAND BACK SUPERMAN! ICEMAN, SPIDERMAN! BATMAN AND ROBIN TOOOOOOOO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kX3ISAPAug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

volts5000 posted:

So The TRY Channel had a video go viral earlier this week, "Irish People Try America's Strongest Alcohol (95%, 190 Proof)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsUtcrQ7M0c

I thought that the best part of that video was Leather Jacket Guy. I looked him up and he has a YouTube channel called AreYaHavingThat. I'm just getting sucked into the wacky stuff on his show and the drink "reviews" (I'm sure it's just an excuse to have fun and get drunk on camera). I know it'll probably be grating for some people, but I'm into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4bB9HoXQ2E

https://twitter.com/AreYaHavingThat/status/1074727103088787456

Leather Jacket Guy is the best and his videos are a half hour of nonsense and I love them.