Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
My main party the first time I beat the game was: Celes, Locke, Strago, and Setzer. I would leave Gau and Relm on the flyboat. I was also an idiot pre-teen.

Fun fact: Umaro is a beast when you don't grind and purposefully try to break the game. Jumping too; Dragoon Edgar saved my rear end against Kefka in my last no-grinding playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Setzer being good is way less tedious work, stick the Fixed Dice and an Offering on him and off you go

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

agradine posted:

My main party the first time I beat the game was: Celes, Locke, Strago, and Setzer. I would leave Gau and Relm on the flyboat. I was also an idiot pre-teen.

Fun fact: Umaro is a beast when you don't grind and purposefully try to break the game. Jumping too; Dragoon Edgar saved my rear end against Kefka in my last no-grinding playthrough.

I'm 90% sure that Relm has the highest natural magic stat in the game, giving her a place in a low level game. Everyone is a bit better if you allow magic in low level runs but that effectiveness is handicapped by their stats still.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My reaction to Gau was "there's clearly some great stuff here. Figuring out which ones are good is too much work. Looking up which ones are good is boring. I'll bring someone else." Mog for example had just the right amount of picking the ability to the situation for my tastes, even if his dances weren't as broken.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Everyone and everything is broken in FF6 is just a question of how far you want to push the system

You can set up normally worst character Cyan to chain retaliate against every enemy until they are dead, and that's not even in the top 10 list of horribly broken things you can do to ff6

Its great

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm 90% sure that Relm has the highest natural magic stat in the game, giving her a place in a low level game. Everyone is a bit better if you allow magic in low level runs but that effectiveness is handicapped by their stats still.

Rather than run "low level" which is honestly a fairly boring run (except when it's frustrating as hell, looking at YOU Ultros), when I want a challenge in FF6 I institute a "no grinding" rule. This, along with my tendency to switch out characters fairly frequently, means I never really get into the good magic. I hit Kefka in the low 30's and nobody's learned any level 3 magic. The final boss (and most of the Kefka Tower bosses, honestly) were actually pretty hectic. I'm sure that Magimaster would have been impossible if I had bothered to run Fanatics Tower all the way through.

I usually have a bunch of other restrictions when I play as well (Blitz, most Tools, Dispatch, Thrown shurikens (the cheap ones), Gau). Sometimes I restrict certain god-mode relics, like the Gem Box, Offering, and Economizer in particular; I may do the same with Dragon Horn next time I do this because it's honestly just ridiculous. Maybe Genji Glove too?

You have to do a lot of work to make FF6 not ludicrously easy, and even then the game resists your efforts most of the time.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Feldegast42 posted:

Everyone and everything is broken in FF6 is just a question of how far you want to push the system

You can set up normally worst character Cyan to chain retaliate against every enemy until they are dead, and that's not even in the top 10 list of horribly broken things you can do to ff6

Its great

The original SNES/SF release is probably one of the most broken and poorly coded games that still actually manages to somehow work (for the most part). I love the part in the GBA release where they fix most of the technical issues but then make a bonus dungeon that's utter garbage, and to make matters worse they forgot to code either of Edgar or Mog's weapons as proper spears, thus missing out on the Jump multiplier which is the only reason either of those characters would be using a spear in the first place. It's like the game resists competent design.

And yet it's still somehow addictively fun to play.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

agradine posted:

The original SNES/SF

The very first Super Famicom release has bugs no following version did.

FF6 is wild.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bruceski posted:

My reaction to Gau was "there's clearly some great stuff here. Figuring out which ones are good is too much work. Looking up which ones are good is boring. I'll bring someone else." Mog for example had just the right amount of picking the ability to the situation for my tastes, even if his dances weren't as broken.

Honestly, Gau is the FF5 Chemist of FF6. Disgustingly broken if you take the time to grind out your toolkit and know exactly what to drop at any given time, but also stupidly overcomplicated for a game that can be cleared almost as easily by a bunch of really dumb buff dudes swinging sticks.

Relm is the Geomancer in that she's useless but she's a fantastic chassis to staple magicite onto.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I remember playing FFVI back in college and liking how there were so many characters I could pick whoever I wanted for my party.

Then I got to Kefka's Tower and realized I was expected to use pretty much everybody, only half of them were severely under-leveled from me never using them, and the prospect of leaving the tower to grind everyone else up was too much so I watched the ending on Youtube and called it a day. I still have a lingering irritation for FFVI because of that.

And yes, I'm sure one or several of you could have easily beaten the tower with whatever composition I had, weak characters and all; no need to rub it in my face. I didn't know better at the time. I just remember wishing someone had told me I'd be expected to use everyone when I'd been maining the same 5-6 characters relative to whatever the plot required.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bad Seafood posted:

And yes, I'm sure one or several of you could have easily beaten the tower with whatever composition I had, weak characters and all; no need to rub it in my face. I didn't know better at the time. I just remember wishing someone had told me I'd be expected to use everyone when I'd been maining the same 5-6 characters relative to whatever the plot required.

Yeah it doesn't matter if someone could beat the game with what you had, it's still a dick move to pull on someone who isn't prepared.

It's a small mercy that it's slightly more forgiving about it than Suikoden 5 was - you're eased into the multi-team concept with the Floating Continent and Phoenix Cave, and more importantly, even though the game is super bad about pointing it out to you, there is still a way to leave Kefka's Tower. Suik 5 just drops you into the final dungeon as a point of no return and expects you to have three full six-character parties not just ready but in fighting shape.

Chrono Trigger, on the flipside, actually let you use whoever you wanted (aside from occasionally restricting access away from certain characters or requiring certain others for sidequests/plot) for most of the game, and actually balanced the game so that it didn't matter if you wanted to play Team No Magic with Ayla and Robo, you'd do just as good as Team Ultramage.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

In defense of the game, it makes it very clear from the start of the final dungeon that you have to use 12/14 characters.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Yeah, they tell you. That's when I realized it, when I was informed: when I went to enter the tower, after having completed most everything in the overworld I'd thought to do, meaning any further leveling would require farming random encounters for XX hours as opposed to leveling up naturally in the pursuit of other goals.

If they were gonna ask me to use everybody, I'd have preferred instructions like that well in advance of the final dungeon's welcome mat. I remember stumbling upon the Phoenix Cave and thinking it was a one-off gimmick for an optional dungeon.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, they tell you. That's when I realized it, when I was informed: when I went to enter the tower, after having completed most everything in the overworld I'd thought to do, meaning any further leveling would require farming random encounters for XX hours as opposed to leveling up naturally in the pursuit of other goals.

If they were gonna ask me to use everybody, I'd have preferred instructions like that well in advance of the final dungeon's welcome mat. I remember stumbling upon the Phoenix Cave and thinking it was a one-off gimmick for an optional dungeon.

You can check the tower from the moment you get the airship, and the devs maybe just thought players would do that. Likely didn't occur to them players would know its the final dungeon and reset/avoid it thinking they'd get stuck inside it.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/revenantkioku/status/1075191959969562624
a bit more clarification

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That still allows equipping espers, right?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The idea is not to use the one command everyone but Umaro shares that is crazy overpowered in its own right.

The problem is it still leaves all the other overpowered commands that most characters have, but that's more Square having no concept of balance in their games.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

ultrafilter posted:

Seems so, which makes the game completely trivial.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

No summoning them, though, since you do that through the magic menu. But magicite shards are OK, I guess!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Cattail Prophet posted:

No summoning them, though, since you do that through the magic menu. But magicite shards are OK, I guess!

Most people care more about the stat boosts espers provide on level ups than they do about summoning.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ultrafilter posted:

Nope!

http://blog.fourjobfiesta.com/post/181233871233/ff6fcc-questions-that-have-been-asked

quote:

Is the 22nd the start date or the prereg date please?

THE EVENT WILL START ON DECEMBER 22, 2018.
what about the use of stat-boosting espers?

YOU MAY NOT EQUIP ESPERS.
I was wondering if you would chime in on Gau’s Rages, Setzer’s Slots, Mog’s Dances, and Strago’s Lores. I’m going to guess the Rages and Slots are ok, but the Dances and Lores not.

IF IT IS ACCESSED FROM A MENU LABELED “MAGIC” YOU MAY NOT USE IT IN THE EVENT.
If you don’t have all of your characters available, do you just use someone else, or do you stay short a party member?

THIS IS THE FIRST TIME WE’RE DOING THIS EVENT, SO LET’S BE FLEXIBLE. HAVING TROUBLE? USE WHO YOU HAVE. WANT A CHALLENGE? KILL OFF CHARACTERS FORCED INTO YOUR PARTY THAT AREN’T PART OF YOUR SELECTED CHARACTERS (UNLESS OF COURSE THAT MEANS YOU COULD NOT PROCEED WITH THE GAME.) TRY YOUR BEST TO FILL YOUR PARTY WITH YOUR FOUR CHARACTERS WHEN YOU CAN.
how is kefka’s tower gonna work?

AH, THE SPLIT PARTY DUNGEONS.
THIS DEPENDS ON A LOT, HUH? YOUR ASSIGNED PARTY, WHO YOU HAVE, AND SO ON.
ALL I CAN SAY IS DO YOUR BEST. I MEAN, IT IS POSSIBLE TO BEAT THE GAME WITH JUST CELES, EDGAR AND SETZER, SO HEY, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO THIS.
What about rods/staves?

LET’S PUT THIS IN THE “OPTIONAL” CATEGORY. IF YOU WANT MORE OF A CHALLENGE, NO ROD/STAFF BREAKING. IF YOU FEEL YOU NEED TO DO IT, GO AHEAD.

That sounds pretty drat un-fun to me, but :shrug:.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
it is very boring. the ff4 randomizer might have been better..? i wont do this, maybe next year will have better rules

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It's been awhile since I last played 6. Don't you basically have to get to the WOR before you can choose your party? I remember that you can do it at a few points before then, but that it never lasts for very long...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

From Narshe until Thamasa (though your party is locked in for Vector) and then for the floating continent. Of course, your options are limited for most of that time with a few required characters here and there.

This isn't really going to work that well but whatever. I might just hack my party in or something, don't know if FF6's sanity checks are as thorough as CT's. Probably not because it's FF6.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I'll do it just because FF6 is really good and I haven't played it in a while

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I don't see this being much fun. I think it'd work better if you had one esper per character and that was assigned at random.

Mega64 posted:

I might just hack my party in or something, don't know if FF6's sanity checks are as thorough as CT's. Probably not because it's FF6.

You're going to end up with some hilariously broken parts if you hack early enough.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

I don't see this being much fun. I think it'd work better if you had one esper per character and that was assigned at random.

Oh man now that sounds like a fun challenge.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Oh man now that sounds like a fun challenge.

Let the Wheel Of Fate decide for you!

Random Character Select
Random Esper Select (SNES)
Random Esper Select (GBA/Steam/Mobile)

All of them will remove the selected Character/Esper as you spin.

My test spins to make sure they worked assigned the Espers as follows:
Edgar - Phoenix
Umaro - Ragnarok
Locke - Fenrir
Setzer - Crusader
Shadow - Odin
Strago - Kirin
Gau - Zona Seeker
Relm - Shiva
Sabin - Bahamut
Mog - Golem
Gogo - Catoblepas
Celes - Seraph
Terra - Ramuh
Cyan - Midgardsormr

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

quote:

Q: Is use of Magic allowed for Terra and Celes? They learn it naturally and I’d argue it’s kinda their primary special thing.

G: HEY, THEY HAVE RUNIC AND, UH, MORPH. LET’S PUT THIS INTO THE OPTIONAL CATEGORY LIKE RODS. TRY NOT TO, BUT IF YOU GOTTA, YOU GOTTA.

Update from Gregbot. It's not like Terra/Celes' natural magic is more broken than, like, Tools/Blitz/Rage. At least not at any sane levels.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Kheldarn posted:

Random Character Select
Random Esper Select (SNES)
Random Esper Select (GBA/Steam/Mobile)

All of them will remove the selected Character/Esper as you spin.

My test spins to make sure they worked assigned the Espers as follows:
Edgar - Phoenix
Umaro - Ragnarok
Locke - Fenrir
Setzer - Crusader
Shadow - Odin
Strago - Kirin
Gau - Zona Seeker
Relm - Shiva
Sabin - Bahamut
Mog - Golem
Gogo - Catoblepas
Celes - Seraph
Terra - Ramuh
Cyan - Midgardsormr

I ended up with this party:
Shadow - Odin
Locke - Zona Seeker
Gogo
Cyan - Carbuncle

Which is just... not great. At least Atma Weapon won't be an issue!

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I'm trying to imagine something where you randomize at particular points in the game, basically giving you a random party among the available cast at any particular point. So you roll for (open slots in parenthesis):

-Narshe to Zozo (4)
-Opera House through Magitek Factory (2)
-Sealed Cave (3)
-WoB end (4)
-WoR (4)

I think that's it but I'm sure I'm missing some weird parts of the WoB. I can't remember if you get to pick anyone when you go to Thamasa or if it's just Terra and Locke. Either way, it might be kind of neat to re-roll every time you have a party option and couple that with the idea to randomly assign Espers.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I mean, Natural Magic is fun, and Celes/Edgar/Setzer with natural magic is fun, so I assume random characters with natural magic will be fun?

I figured the random characters only apply to parts where you can choose your party, but now that hacking has been mentioned that might be better . . .

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Just think of it like a four job fiesta except it's a four character fiesta, I suppose. Though I do think that natural magic wouldn't break the game unless you forcefully grinded your way to level 99 for Terra and Celes to get their screen nukes, but at that point you've already won anyway thanks to level adding to your power. I think the idea is to try and think outside of the box for strategies to win fights. People have successfully beaten the game with single character runs (I've done Edgar, for example), so having a full party doesn't seem too difficult for experienced players.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Kheldarn posted:

I ended up with
Cyan - Valigarmanda
Edgar - Maduin
Umaro
Celes - Midgardsormr

Which seems ok

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Alxprit posted:

Just think of it like a four job fiesta except it's a four character fiesta, I suppose. Though I do think that natural magic wouldn't break the game unless you forcefully grinded your way to level 99 for Terra and Celes to get their screen nukes, but at that point you've already won anyway thanks to level adding to your power. I think the idea is to try and think outside of the box for strategies to win fights. People have successfully beaten the game with single character runs (I've done Edgar, for example), so having a full party doesn't seem too difficult for experienced players.

The only thing leveling without Espers gets you is HP/MP. Granted, depending on which version you use, you can easily get perfect defense and magic defense on multiple characters.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

So do I pick my own characters or do they get assigned? Seems like you just build you own team of 4.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Levels do influence your damage like in FF5, but in a less clear way. From an algorithms FAQ on the SNES version:
code:
Step 1b. Attack = Battle Power + Vigor * 2 [capped at 255]
Step 1d. Damage = Battle Power + ((Level * Level * Attack) / 256) * 3 / 2 [Physical]

Damage = Spell Power * 4 + (Level * Magic Power * Spell Power / 32) [Magic]

Damage = (Damage * (255 - Defense) / 256) + 1 [Defense or Magic Defense]
There are some other subtleties like equipping certain accessories, having certain statuses, etc. But that's the gist of it, broadly similar to FF5's way of doing things except that defense acts as a percentage reduction rather than subtracting from Attack before multipliers.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Levels are also one of the main part's of Setzer's Dice damage algorithm

poo poo maybe I should run with Setzer on this

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I wanna do this, but I've also never touched ff6 before. I feel like it's gonna be a weird time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

If you're like me and used cheat codes to get to level 99 at the beginning of the game you definitely noticed that you were doing near-cap damage with your physical attacks. So it does affect you even if your literal stats aren't rising.