Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

My other question would be if you do get a payout for mapping, is that only landable worlds or do I get cash for mapping HMCs and Water Worlds and whatnot?
You get extra spacebux for mapping, even if it isn't a landable planet. In fact, the best planets to map are ELW (Earth-Like World), WW (Waterworld), AW (Ammonia World) and anything that shows as Tereformable (HMC or Rocky Body). I got 4M for a single Tereformable Water World where I was first to map it with under the probe limit.

If you're doing R2R, you should definitely map the planets too but don't do anything further out than like 10kls. There are hundreds of planets in the list-- there's no need to go to the out-of-the-way ones to make every possible credit. Also don't do it for more than an hour just to grind money unless that's your idea of fun. Everything in this game is best taken a little bit at a time to stave off that Space Madness. The game can be a real un-fun grind if you sit down and spend hours at a time to just max out your cash try to get 100x Pharmaceutical Isolators in one go for no reason. Is the Hauler your (not you specifically) second ship, that you bought just to do R2R, and you're grinding it for 20 hours to buy an Anaconda? Don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Seconding that. I’ve had the most fun bouncing between small bits of things.

I’ve quit for long periods every time I decided “I’m going to totally engineer this ship for <x>” where X required 20 hours of material hunting. If I had just played for those 20 hours, I probably would have gotten more than half the materials and left myself with a more reasonable goal, but structuring yourself for grinding is failure.

That said, Elite is a great game to pick up and put down. It’s hard to become totally lost as to what you were doing.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

boar guy posted:

get one of these: https://www.radiosidewinder.com/product/hotas-for-elite-dangerous/

it's surprisingly okay for the price, and you will know within a couple of hours of using it if you want to return it and upgrade to something silly.

oh noooo why did I read this post.

I told myself I wouldn't buy a HOTAS just for Elite because all the ones I saw were like $150+, but $60 with some really good reviews sounds just right.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Speaking of HOTAS; I gifted myself an X52 for christmas. Does anybody have a reference card or a good button layout for it?

I know it'll come down to my preference, but it's always nice having a base to go from.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Any suggested newb mining builds for a Keelback? Only ones I've found on Coriolis don't seem to be updated for 3.3.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

DonVincenzo posted:

Here's a closer look. Everything is fine.

Lmao. This is a good thread.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

DonVincenzo posted:

Here's a closer look. Everything is fine.

"Do you have any Grey Poupon?" :wotwot:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

If anyone is looking for a good starter HOTAS, Saitek X45 is drat near indestructible and can be found for ~30 shipped on ebay.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Edmond Dantes posted:

Speaking of HOTAS; I gifted myself an X52 for christmas. Does anybody have a reference card or a good button layout for it?

I know it'll come down to my preference, but it's always nice having a base to go from.

There are sooooo many buttons. HMU on discord and I'll send you my profile, but honestly, just bind each button to whatever you panic-press when you think about doing a thing.

Easy choices for me were primary fire on the trigger, secondary fire on the C-button. Pinky trigger is mode-switch. Lower hat is direction thrust. Boost is the I-button on the throttle.

Don't forget to (carefully) take out the throttle detent!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TrDCO-FMBI

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

a mysterious cloak posted:

Any suggested newb mining builds for a Keelback? Only ones I've found on Coriolis don't seem to be updated for 3.3.

Depends if you want to do strip mining or only search for new stuff.

Edit: to be helpful, I will throw a build together for you once I get home.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 19, 2018

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

I use this setup it works well. You will have to bind the new features like FSS and such.

X52: https://github.com/X52EliteSetup/X52
X52 Pro: https://github.com/X52EliteSetup/X52-Pro

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Keelback build. (Beware, though, that I have never flown a Keelback so don't trust these.)

Fancy mining - crack the big rocks, surface ablate the tasty bits and collect the core, move on quickly. Featuring a pulse wave scanner, core cracking missiles, and surface ablator. Replace the shield booster with the scanner, the missile launcher with core crackers, and the frag cannon with the surface ablator. Places to cut if you need to save cash - downgrade the shield and/or thrusters and/or FSD. If you're comfortable with some power priority fussing, you can downgrade to a B-rated power plant. You can also drop the turrets or swap to multicannons to downgrade the power plant as well. Those changes will save you a bunch of cash.

I wish I could give you a second size 3 limpet controller.

You can swap the collector and prospector limpet's sizes depending on your needs. If you're finding you only use one prospector limpet at a time, having two collectors is probably better.

For standard mining, just use one of the builds you found online, possibly swapping a laser for a seismic charge launcher, or adding one if the build doesn't use all the hardpoints.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 19, 2018

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

iospace posted:

You only need to fly out to it if you want to do a detailed surface scan. The FSS scanning gets you the amount that Road to Riches says you get. The jury is still out though on how much the surface scanning with the probes gets you.

surface scanning alone gets you a poo poo ton of money. I made over 9 million by doing surface scans in a discovered system with like a dozen planets.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Edmond Dantes posted:

Use the default button layout and just switch things around one at a time until you have a binding you get behind.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

I ended up finding this set of keybindings and joystick profile really useful as it binds all the buttons in something that approaches a sensible setup. It also comes with a handy sheet that lets you familiarize yourself with the controls (though you do need to know what each of the buttons are called, for it to make sense).

The one big downside of it is that it uses regular keybinds instead of DirectInputXinput for the mappings, but this is what makes the pinky button function properly as a mode-switcher (which it doesn't in 99.9999532% of games I've tried so far.

Dick Trauma posted:

"Do you have any Grey Poupon?" :wotwot:
Being in the middle of a hug is one of lifes finer pleaures.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 19, 2018

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
Elite is one of those games that I ended up spending a lot of money on!

Like a HOTAS.
Or cool skins.
The loving LEP.

Boy, that was totally worth the money. *insert extreme sarcasm*

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Dogeh posted:

Like a HOTAS.
Or cool skins.
The loving LEP.

:qq:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dogeh posted:

Like a HOTAS.
Or cool skins.
The loving LEP.

Me too!!! I bought two different HOTASs, tons of skins, the Lifetime pass, and even an Oculus just for this game! And while it’s not the best “game” per se, it is one of the best virtual experiences you can have right now and I think, with no sarcasm, it was worth every penny!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Looking back, I kinda wish I had backed back in the day instead of putting my money into Store Citizen (came out ahead, when I sold my original ship that ended up paying for the other ship also bought and still have).
Having spent 12EUR for the game plus the season pass feels pretty great when money are extremely tight, though.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

D. Ebdrup posted:

Store Citizen (came out ahead, when I sold my original ship that ended up paying for the other ship also bought and still have).

no you didnt come out ahead in anything tbh

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’ve talked two buddies into playing who are getting a HOTAS/VR for Christmas and I want to set up to hunt Thargoids with them. In all likelihood we will multicrew, since I don’t think one wants to risk his rebuy and another is very new.

I’m thinking of kitting our a double-fighter Crusader. Thinking of going as much guardian stuff as possible: 3C Shard, 2B Gauss, 2B Remote Flak, 3x1D Gauss. 6D fighter hangar for them.

Any suggestions or pitfalls?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Trip Report: Drop in 200km from a hotspot and cruise at 180m/s so you can fire limpets and use the navpoint to keep you oriented so you dont double back. Cracked three Monzanite asteroids in 25 mins.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Statutory Ape posted:

When it's actually 3304 (in real life and not just in Elite) and Star Citizen finally drops we will see who has the last laugh.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Dogeh posted:

I'm frankly surprised at how understocked their store is. Basically just skin packs (which seem pretty uninspired) and a handful of bobble head things. They could be making even bigger bucks, ffs where are the hats??

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Now I really need to get good at remembering what the crackable asteroids look like. Spent an hour or so burning through 60 limpets in a pristine icy ring and I got real good at getting fooled by the subsurface/surface asteroids which glow pretty well...

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Arcturas posted:

Now I really need to get good at remembering what the crackable asteroids look like. Spent an hour or so burning through 60 limpets in a pristine icy ring and I got real good at getting fooled by the subsurface/surface asteroids which glow pretty well...

The glow is based on the proportion of subsurface deposits (including crackable ones) vs the size of the asteroid. You are being tricked by small rocks. You're better off chasing faint yellow asteroids.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

chaosapiant posted:

Me too!!! I bought two different HOTASs, tons of skins, the Lifetime pass, and even an Oculus just for this game! And while it’s not the best “game” per se, it is one of the best virtual experiences you can have right now and I think, with no sarcasm, it was worth every penny!

ED is still the "killer app" for VR in my opinion. The sense of scale you get in VR really has to be seen to be believed. I still remember the first time I fired up the game with my headset on and realized, holy poo poo, the Asp Explorer is HUGE.

Anyway, yes, I've spent an embarrassing amount of money on this game, including a cool outfit for my CMDR and a Halloween bobble head. No regrets.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I mean, most of us have played for multiple years and have >2000 hours so even with a HOTAS and a bunch of cosmetics you're still looking at <$0.15/hour of entertainment.

:ohdear:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

mekyabetsu posted:

ED is still the "killer app" for VR in my opinion. The sense of scale you get in VR really has to be seen to be believed. I still remember the first time I fired up the game with my headset on and realized, holy poo poo, the Asp Explorer is HUGE.

Anyway, yes, I've spent an embarrassing amount of money on this game, including a cool outfit for my CMDR and a Halloween bobble head. No regrets.

Yep, the first ship I was flying when I first popped on my Oculus was a little ol' Vulture. I couldn't not believe just how enormous the windshield alone was in the cockpit. Or the first time I warped to a star and almost poo poo myself.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Metal rich bodies are weird colors

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I just finished the tutorials for the first time. They were good enough to get by but don't teach a whole lot besides how to kinda fly.

Do you folks that use a gamepad use the default controls? I'm finding it to be kinda awkward but it might just be my lack of practice.

And do all the ships turn so slowly...

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

So after discovering it earlier today, I kinda want to see if I can't swing the money to pick up Voice Attack and one of those fancy voice packs you can get. I asked some frogs in the discord, but I figure it can't hurt to ask if anyone has experience using all of that?

edit: if you're talking the flat out turning left and right, yes. it's like planes, you turn by making that side your 'up' and pulling back on the stick.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 19, 2018

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Do you folks that use a gamepad use the default controls? I'm finding it to be kinda awkward but it might just be my lack of practice.

I found it tricky at first but after a bit of practice I don't have any real issues. Considering how many commands there are in the game, I think they've done a pretty drat good job mapping the DS4 in a way that isn't a giant mess.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I just finished the tutorials for the first time. They were good enough to get by but don't teach a whole lot besides how to kinda fly.

Yes, for all of us old Tie Fighter/Freespace nerds the yaw is a difficult transition. Roll is your primary means of turning, then pitch up/down to align. Keep your throttle in the middle of the sweet spot (or hit the boost) in newtonian space for best maneuvering. In supercruise, set the throttle to 50% for the tightest turns.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

More or less, but you'll add and drop bindings based on what you're doing. I recycle my shoulder buttons pretty regularly. Also note that there's a alternate control scheme that you can drop into and out of.

As for turning speed, never yaw. Always roll and pitch.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
OK thanks for confirming what I was thinking. I figured out roll and pitch in the first 30 seconds so I guess the starting ship is just a pig.

I'll have to check in that alternate scheme next session. The biggest problems I had were with low speed precision movements. With yaw and thrust up/down on the same stick I was constantly accidentally moving up or down when docking. And I never did find thrust left/right.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Statutory Ape posted:

Welp, you're right. I'm not ahead in so far as ahead of everyone else, but as it is I've been paid a small surplus for getting to laugh at how it's going, so I feel like I'm getting away with something even if I'm not.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

OK thanks for confirming what I was thinking. I figured out roll and pitch in the first 30 seconds so I guess the starting ship is just a pig.

I'll have to check in that alternate scheme next session. The biggest problems I had were with low speed precision movements. With yaw and thrust up/down on the same stick I was constantly accidentally moving up or down when docking. And I never did find thrust left/right.
The Sidewinder is actually a decent ship for its size, but if you're used to other space flight games like X-Wing, Tie Fighter, or the X series, then you'll definitely find that ED has a slower and more deliberate pace when it comes to maneuvering your ship. There are improved thruster modules that you can eventually purchase that will increase your rate of turn, and there are fighter class ships like the Eagle that are designed for maneuverability. Also, as others have said, keeping your throttle in the blue zone is critical for minimizing your turn radius. It can take awhile to build that instinct to reduce throttle when trying to stay on the tail of a ship or quickly correct your course.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I jumped in to one of the unpopulated systems I'm visiting on my way home and almost immediately received an interdiction alert. Nothing was on the radar. Scared the crap out of me but I managed to escape, scoop and run to the next system. I thought there was no one else out here because the systems are unpopulated. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005
Soooo this is probably a bug, you might wanna get on it before Frontier discovers you're having fun making money.

Viktorenko Holdings in CD-33 8748 says it has 0 demand for all the deep core gems, but is buying them anyways for stupid amounts. Did I say stupid amounts? 1.6m per Opal is the craziest, Benitoite 1.1m. Serendibite 942k. Even pirated Low Temp Diamonds will sell for 550k in the Black Market.

Delkar is 22ly away, has Pristine Reserves, and all 4 ring types just to save you the EDDB lookup.

24 Iota Crateris is the Independent/agricultural anarchy system from the piracy video a few pages back, population 13 billion, if piracy is your thing. Its 42ly away.

Better 'get cracking' before Frontier fixes it. :rimshot:

edit:

Fuzzysocksucker fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 19, 2018