Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Clean the wax off your desk what the hell friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
Braces on the desk legs keep you from sliding your legs underneath and force you to adopt a goony, hunched over position. Perfect!

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Just got a gas-lift VESA mount! So dope. Also added a RGB LED strip on the back of my monitor, very cozy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If it's addressable, you should set up edge matching with your monitor.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Finally got around to taking a bad photo of my desktop.

Need to do something about the cables. It's a sit-stand desk but I am too lazy to drill some holes and mount a tray under for power and such.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Wasn't there a desk megathread somewhere at some point? I need a new one and I searched through all of A/T and most or all of SHSC for "desk" and didn't find it.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
idk but im in the process of building a 2-person desk right now for my wife and i. still need to put a few coats of poly on it, install a couple of those ikea cable baskets and 4 grommets, but it should hopefully be ready to go in a week.

i am putting 2" black trim around the edges it to hide the ply and it was in the process of drying when i took this pic. also i hadn't painted the little box/stabilizer thing or drilled the 120 holes in it for ventilating the towers

its just made with some kind of not-ultra-lovely pine that cost $35 for 8'x4' and 4 metal ikea legs that i painted. the box is made of MDF

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

owl_pellet posted:

Wasn't there a desk megathread somewhere at some point? I need a new one and I searched through all of A/T and most or all of SHSC for "desk" and didn't find it.

buy a big ikea butcher block, stain/seal it (i used danish oil) and get whatever legs/drawers float your boat and drill some holes to mount them to the desk. ezpz

Parachute
May 18, 2003
here's how the top turned out. going to move it from my dads shop to my house this weekend.

it's about 7.5 feet long and 30" deep

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
Nice work.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
New desk! Need to paint where the shelf used to be. Torn on whether I want to keep the modmat or just use the bare desk

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
Legit question, but for those that don't have an adjustable height desk or a lack of space under the desk, why do people put their midtowers+ up on the desk surface?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Jack Forge posted:

Legit question, but for those that don't have an adjustable height desk or a lack of space under the desk, why do people put their midtowers+ up on the desk surface?
limited contact with the opposite sex

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Jack Forge posted:

Easier access to ports/drives, cleaner fans/filters because dust tends to accumulate near the floor. If you like to tinker or upgrade it's easier to get into it or perform visual inspection (water loops sometimes drip). Maybe you want to see your light show. Some cases have buttons that are way too easy to accidentally hit, maybe you gotta keep them away from pets or your Roomba.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Jack Forge posted:

Keeps rugrats from loving with them.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

When it's cold my gaming computer exhaust keeps me hand warm.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

New desk! Need to paint where the shelf used to be. Torn on whether I want to keep the modmat or just use the bare desk

paint your walls

or put up a shelf i guess for fewer points

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Jack Forge posted:

Cats.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Jack Forge posted:

Here's a reason not to: desk space is precious and it's way quieter under the desk.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Dust intake is far worse when a tower is on the ground.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

concise posted:

Dust intake is far worse when a tower is on the ground.

This is why we have filters and regularly clean our homes.

Stop living like poo poo :haw:

isndl
May 2, 2012

Wibla posted:

This is why we have filters and regularly clean our homes.

Stop living like poo poo :haw:

Why spend time cleaning when you could spend time gaming!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I just thought it looked neat on my desk :shobon:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I just thought it looked neat on my desk :shobon:

TenementFunster posted:

limited contact with the opposite sex

A play in 2 parts.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Jack Forge posted:

I don't know, I've always had my PC on the floor.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
My megahuge celibacy tower (Define XL R2) is sitting on a little filing cabinet next to my desk. Does that make me a good goon or a bad goon?

Also, I have plush luxurious carpets that would block all of the bottom intakes. If my floors were hardwood I'd probably leave it on the floor.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

KillHour posted:

A play in 2 parts.

no one who owns a custom desktop is attractive in any way

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde

carry on then posted:

no one who owns a custom desktop is attractive in any way

drat :stare: first my Uplay keeps crashing and now I'm ugly too. At least I can play...drat it.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Terry Crews has a custom desktop gaming PC. Is he not attractive?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

monsterzero posted:

My megahuge celibacy tower (Define XL R2) is sitting on a little filing cabinet next to my desk. Does that make me a good goon or a bad goon?

Also, I have plush luxurious carpets that would block all of the bottom intakes. If my floors were hardwood I'd probably leave it on the floor.

A define is not a Celibacy tower. It's literally restraint.txt, at least by large case standards.

I feel like goons go through 3 stages in their Gaming PC owning lives.

As teenagers, with their own money for the first time in their lives; they buy a super blinged out gaming pc with leds everywhere; and they want to show it off. It becomes the decorative centerpiece of the room; and so it goes on the table.

Eventually; most people will evolve into Goon Stage 2. They realise that there is nothing attractive about a huge obelisk covered in god drat fairy lights, and so they shift towards the minimalist black box designs. Since the PC is no longer screaming 'Look at Me!' it tends to be shifted to the floor, unless there are practical reasons why the floor is unsuitable -see: Cattes; kids; Carpets.

Finally, some people will achieve their final form. I like to call it Goon Stage 3. Here we see a further evolution to m-ITX boxes. These are designed to be tucked discreetly away; or they're sleek brushed metal that can be put on a shelf to blend discreetly into the background like just another modern art sculpture.

It's been observed in the wild that the presence of a female mate can significantly accelerate this evolutionary process.

isndl
May 2, 2012
That gaming goon lifecycle curiously follows the pattern of hardware development. Is goon stage four buying a gaming laptop?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Probably a NUC in 2020 when the GPUs are powerful enough.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Lord Bude posted:

It's been observed in the wild that the presence of a female mate can significantly accelerate this evolutionary process.

or you could just have a partner who’s ok with your goofy hobby poo poo or keep it somewhere discrete and appropriate like a home office.

Like you’re probably not wrong in a general sense but this whole “W.A.F”/“ :females: don’t like x goofy nerd poo poo” is reductive and kinda sexist and often untrue.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

or you could just have a partner who’s ok with your goofy hobby poo poo or keep it somewhere discrete and appropriate like a home office.

Like you’re probably not wrong in a general sense but this whole “W.A.F”/“ :females: don’t like x goofy nerd poo poo” is reductive and kinda sexist and often untrue.

Yeah, I kinda was wondering about all of that. My girlfriend is ok with it, we have our separate hobbies. Computer is in the basement along with the daughter's Xbox, it all works out.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yeah, I agree. My wife doesn't care about my stupid nerdy gaming poo poo as long as it's contained in my office. Hence I still have a tower with pretty lights and a 65" tv with like ten consoles hooked up to it in a cannibalised wardrobe.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

The Lord Bude posted:

It has been observed in the wild that the presence of a female mate can significantly accelerate this evolutionary process.

My wife doesn't care as long as stuff is tidy. I have shitloads of consoles hooked up to a projector, a htpc, surround sound, etc. We boh have dual-screen setups.

It'd be pretty tiring to have someone nag all the time about the things you like. RGB unicorn vomit rigs are not anything either of us want around, though.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
i'm 35 and my latest build has fuckin purple LED fans in the front and the video card has an LED thing on it that changes colors* i do not give a gently caress

*supposedly, i still haven't bothered to find the software to do it

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Light Gun Man posted:

*supposedly, i still haven't bothered to find the software to do it

My EVGA 1070ti card has that software in the overclock tool > "LED Sync"

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

iajanus posted:

Hence I still have a tower with pretty lights and a 65" tv with like ten consoles hooked up to it in a cannibalised wardrobe.

Gonna need some pics here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I love all y’all with life-consuming hobbies that have spouses or whatever that aren’t 100% into that poo poo themselves.

Find you a nerd and share Steam libraries, people. Gift each other consoles. It’s pretty fuckin rad not having to be all *~my wife~* when it comes to tech poo poo.