Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

JBP posted:

Hello friends. I am getting a Switch for Christmas with Smash and I'll buy the other great games as time progresses along.

Main query is which controller/s should I get for Smash gaming with friends and stuff? I understand a pro controller is kind of a must and that the joycons aren't great for some things, but can I just get the cheaper wired controllers for multiplayer and have that work out fine?

Do you have PS4 controllers, Xbox One S controllers, or any other Bluetooth controllers? You can use this adapter to play with any Bluetooth controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

JBP posted:

Hello friends. I am getting a Switch for Christmas with Smash and I'll buy the other great games as time progresses along.

Main query is which controller/s should I get for Smash gaming with friends and stuff? I understand a pro controller is kind of a must and that the joycons aren't great for some things, but can I just get the cheaper wired controllers for multiplayer and have that work out fine?

This is a good video that goes over a bunch of options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsiE8D2fZw4

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I've played Smash mostly handheld and haven't had any control issues (aside from trying to break like 17 years of muscle memory with GC controllers)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's because normal people can use most any controller without difficulty if it had the right buttons

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Did anyone else pick up Katamary Damacy? If you liked the original this is basically the same thing with all the weirdness and rolling you love.

The music is great too. A made a wad of girls last night and it was a real hoot.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Wildtortilla posted:

I use the Wii U stand. I use that and for everything. Holding the Switch next to my bed and on my computer desk, holding my phone behind the sink so I can watch stuff while I work in the kitchen, I could keep going but you get the idea. It's a handy little stand and I didn't have to buy something that would become clutter in a few years.

Sounds like you bought a Wii U though?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Did anyone else pick up Katamary Damacy? If you liked the original this is basically the same thing with all the weirdness and rolling you love.

The music is great too. A made a wad of girls last night and it was a real hoot.

It, uh, is the original

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

It, uh, is the original

;)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Waterbed Wendy posted:

I did, but I'm not opening it until Christmas. Can't wait, it's been too long.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm ready to triple dip for OoT and MM on the Switch

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I will buy every Katamari title they decide to rerelease in hopes they make a new one

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kashuno posted:

I will buy every Katamari title they decide to rerelease in hopes they make a new one

I remember one where you're making islands instead of stars, and the size of your Katamari determined how nice the island was. That gave a great incentive to go back to stages you'd already beat so you could make the islands better. I hope they port that one to the Switch

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It, uh, is the original

Only basically

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Gripweed posted:

I remember one where you're making islands instead of stars, and the size of your Katamari determined how nice the island was. That gave a great incentive to go back to stages you'd already beat so you could make the islands better. I hope they port that one to the Switch

That was the psp one, Me and My Katamari. They won't port that one because it used all the same stages as 1, just with a different framing device

It's also why I was a little disappointed when I got reroll. I already played this game on portable twelve years ago

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

This is going to be the only supported way to play the Crystal Chronicles port.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Sounds like you bought a Wii U though?

Several years ago, yes. Now the stand I never used with the Wii U has a purpose. 😀

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I'm just thankful Nintendo did such a terrible job marketing the WiiU because when my house was burgled three years ago they took the Gamepad but didn't actually take the console

that’s funny, the exact same thing happened to me. but also they took a ps4.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
Any homebrewing talk for the switch?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Defenistrator posted:

Yeah I mean it's been done, just look on YouTube or Reddit

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Defenistrator posted:

It has its own dedicated thread, since most people don't care for it.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

What's everyone's preferred stand for their Switch? There's the Hori one, the Amazon knockoff of the Hori one, the official Nintendo one, I've seen one made of metal that also looked kind of precarious, I'm not sure what to get.

I like this stand because it lifts my Switch up a little bit so it's easier to see. I have the Hori, it packs flatter but is longer. I generally just leave it at home. The official Nintendo one doesn't lift a Switch just angles it. However, I'm getting old and need glasses

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Got Fast RMX last night. Enjoying that a lot. Welp, that's my story.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

It has its own dedicated thread, since most people don't care for it.

Most people are cowards.

Come to the homebrew thread and understand the true potential of your hardware.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837908

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

RandomFerret posted:

Most people are cowards.

Come to the homebrew thread and understand the true potential of your hardware.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837908

Thank you master ferret

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I wish Capcom would get its poo poo together and announce the RE2 remake for the Switch. It’s right there Capcom, it’s perfect for your game. People would poo poo themselves over a portable RE2 why you gotta be trash like this?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I wish Capcom would get its poo poo together and announce the RE2 remake for the Switch. It’s right there Capcom, it’s perfect for your game. People would poo poo themselves over a portable RE2 why you gotta be trash like this?

the only way the RE7 game could run is through that weirdass streaming function. What on earth leads you to believe the Switch could handle an even more refined game built on that same engine? You'll get RE4 in 2019 and like it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Nevermind.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Are there any first person dungeon crawler Wizardry clones for switch? I think the only one I know of is Labyrinth of Refrain. Is that even a Wizardry clone? Anything on the horizon? I'm playing Demon Gaze right now and it's pretty drat fun, even if I can't play it in public.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

gariig posted:

I like this stand because it lifts my Switch up a little bit so it's easier to see. I have the Hori, it packs flatter but is longer. I generally just leave it at home. The official Nintendo one doesn't lift a Switch just angles it. However, I'm getting old and need glasses

How stable is it? I like that one but it doesn't look like it would resist falling over.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

DLC Inc posted:

the only way the RE7 game could run is through that weirdass streaming function. What on earth leads you to believe the Switch could handle an even more refined game built on that same engine? You'll get RE4 in 2019 and like it.

Yes.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

:yeah:

I'm not interested in RE2 but I'll definitely buy RE4 yet again

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

How stable is it? I like that one but it doesn't look like it would resist falling over.

It's heavy as hell. The only times it's been unstable is when I have it leaning low and forward, as one might expect.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Andrast posted:

:yeah:

I'm not interested in RE2 but I'll definitely buy RE4 yet again

You're buying the better game, so :toot:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Lol, and then miss out on the good old double dip? You'll get it a year later and like it

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

JBP posted:

Should I get Octopath Traveler? I hear mixed things but I'm at the tail end of DQXI and have enjoyed that a lot.

Dragon Quest XI is great. I am almost at the end, but any game that basically plays itself is fine by me. Once I just met the main guy be automated too I got so much more painting done.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Oscar Wild posted:

Are there any first person dungeon crawler Wizardry clones for switch? I think the only one I know of is Labyrinth of Refrain. Is that even a Wizardry clone?

I'm not too sure what makes a Wizardry clone but let me know if you find any worthwhile -- those kind of things tend to be my jam.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Fairly stable, I don't worry about it on planes where I primarily use it. The Hori one is probably more stable (it's pretty long) but I value having my Switch closer to my face and being able to pick a good angle.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Hammer Bro. posted:

I'm not too sure what makes a Wizardry clone but let me know if you find any worthwhile -- those kind of things tend to be my jam.

First person dungeon crawler, mostly customizable party. Demon Gaze, Strangers of Sword Coast, Etrian Odyssey, and Eliminage Gothic are what I'm talking about. I'm not as big a fan of Dungeon Travelers.

I dunno if Labyrinth of Refrain is closer to one or the other.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Oscar Wild posted:

Are there any first person dungeon crawler Wizardry clones for switch? I think the only one I know of is Labyrinth of Refrain. Is that even a Wizardry clone? Anything on the horizon? I'm playing Demon Gaze right now and it's pretty drat fun, even if I can't play it in public.

Labyrinth of Refrain and The Lost Child are the main ones so far that I'm aware of. I really hope Exp Inc jumps ship soon and/or stops making kind of mediocre visual novels with base exploration in them. Or at least ports some of the back catalog. Or Dungeon Travelers 2-2 gets put on switch so I can play it in English and not be lost on what the hell is going on half the time.

If I was going to get one or the other I'd get Labyrinth of Refrain. I think both have price cuts around 30 bucks right now and you're going to get more bang for your buck out the former than the latter. It has two stories sort of going on at the same time and it gets pretty silly after a while. Not like Drakengard insane or anything but it gets out there. The dungeon crawling is alright, nothing amazing but it was a satisfying experience and I think 30 is fair. I wouldn't call it Wizardry or anything, it's not exceptionally mean or archaic so if you're looking for that experience that ain't it. If you like Demon Gaze though it'll probably be fine.

The Lost Child is still a hard ask at 30 unless you're hard up though, it has a lot of problems. The gearing system is atrocious, there's like maybe ten music tracks the entire game, and if you're expecting something like SMT with the demon/angel/whatever system you'll be disappointed since its more like Pokemon than anything. Maybe somewhere around 15-20 is fair, I paid full and was pretty annoyed by the experience. Also the postgame dungeon is a goddamn nightmare and not in the fun sort of way. A 100 floor dungeon that starts to grate around 50 and very cryptic puzzles.

In other things, I hope Ys 9 eventually hits switch, playing 8 was a treat and I'm so used to playing Ys on a handheld at this point that not having the option seems weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I would love to play RE2ake on Switch but I guess some goon said it wasn’t possible.