Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

peer posted:

I would have agreed if bretonnian generals had access to a bigger mount than a hippogryph. Having a whole unit of dudes riding the same thing as your leader is lame.

I agree, but why did you quote my post :confused:

hippogryph knights own you weirdo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Frog Act posted:

The Enpire is dope as hell and it’s only problem, lore wise, is that it isn’t clear how many people live there other than exactly as many as the narrative requires

Sigmar's Heirs for WFRP 2E has a complete census of the Empire, at roughly 460K people after the Storm of Chaos

It is a very small number of people in comparison to the historical HRE post 30 Years War. Cue fantasy writers having no sense of scale.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Demigryph Knights are fine, but nothing past that, thanks. I can deal with a top-level elite cavalry option for Empire because Reiksguard aren't quite it, and Demigryphs are still very vulnerable to getting shot at and not as dominating as they seem. Hippogryphs should only be character mounts for Empire though, I'd legit be peeved if they got a squad of flying monsters because that's just too much.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

peer posted:

I would have agreed if bretonnian generals had access to a bigger mount than a hippogryph. Having a whole unit of dudes riding the same thing as your leader is lame.

That even sort of fits. Brettonia lore has its biggest badasses retreating from the regular world and becoming warrior monks who guard shrines or wander around doing quests and righting wrongs.

Thats what Grail Knights/Guardians are and Hippogryph Knights fit within it. Your lord might be a holy warrior blessed by the Lady but Brettonia has 300 year old living saints who can be called into action and really show you how its done

SickZip fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 19, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ZearothK posted:

Sigmar's Heirs for WFRP 2E has a complete census of the Empire, at roughly 460K people after the Storm of Chaos

It is a very small number of people in comparison to the historical HRE post 30 Years War. Cue fantasy writers having no sense of scale.

What's hilarious is that's also with its most populous provinces untouched by the war, so that isn't even 'oh man we're really turbofucked' or anything.

They do similar for the Skaven in their book, with the teeming metropolis of Skavenblight having like 250k rats.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ZearothK posted:

The Empire is also supposed to be far bigger then the HRE was, nearly the size of Europe.

Half a million people in an area the size of Europe is a population density below what hunter gatherers would have

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

SickZip posted:

That even sort of fits. Brettonia lore has its biggest badasses retreating from the regular world and becoming warrior monks who guard shrines or wander around doing quests and righting wrongs.

Well sure but I don't see why pegasus knights couldn't already fill this role: they're fancy heroes riding monsters that would be considered rarities and star attractions in any other human civilisation. I don't think you need the additional tier of "these guys are even MORE badass and ride even COOLER monsters" on top of it. It reeks of radious-style OTTness

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

peer posted:

"these guys are even MORE badass and ride even COOLER monsters"

Hello, welcome to the Warhammer drive-thru, may I take your order?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yup that's what he said, you aren't experiencing a severe case of white fragility friend. he hates them because of their skin colour.

don't worry, they will still be white and lame even after Kislev runs around being white and cool.

no one is going to take away your white guys.

E: also if the concept is normal humans but fantasy world, the whole "only the HEAD HONCHO who is THE BEST can ride this fantasy monster" is dumb as gently caress.

Karl Franz didn't get elected because he's the bestest at monster riding and orc punching.

In Warhammer, there are monsters that get tamed and ridden by humans. But the Empire still votes based on human standards and Bretonnia still has a hereditary monarchy. I don't get how you can be in favour of human ingenuity in the face of all this crazy poo poo, except they better not have monster knights. That is too ingenious. They should fight the magic hordes of satan wit regular knights because...???

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 19, 2018

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

yup that's what he said, you aren't experiencing a severe case of white fragility friend. he hates them because of their skin colour.

don't worry, they will still be white and lame even after Kislev runs around being white and cool.

Your posts make me nostalgic for the days when people with brain problems and evangelizing impulses had to knock on doors or hand out fliers on streetcorners instead of being able to use the internet to insert themselves everywhere

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh my god just shut up. None of you are interesting.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

E: also if the concept is normal humans but fantasy world, the whole "only the HEAD HONCHO who is THE BEST can ride this fantasy monster" is dumb as gently caress.

Karl Franz didn't get elected because he's the bestest at monster riding and orc punching.

In Warhammer, there are monsters that get tamed and ridden by humans. But the Empire still votes based on human standards and Bretonnia still has a hereditary monarchy. I don't get how you can be in favour of human ingenuity in the face of all this crazy poo poo, except they better not have monster knights. That is too ingenious. They should fight the magic hordes of satan wit regular knights because...???

I can't decide if you're pointing out the problematic nature of fantasy narratives minimizing or erasing people of color, and how that contributes to the same in real life because it is actually a real and Not Good thing in good faith, or if you're trying to use it as what you perceive to be an asinine argument to respond to another asinine argument and I don't even know what to be triggered by anymore :(

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I look forward to southern realms being released because when it’s about Italians it’s never racist and always funny

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

NeurosisHead posted:

I can't decide if you're pointing out the problematic nature of fantasy narratives minimizing or erasing people of color, and how that contributes to the same in real life because it is actually a real and Not Good thing in good faith

It's that, it gets me worked up. It's not an asinine argument, it's a real thing that pervades Warhammer and that even GW itself is starting to push against these days.

I think the Empire is kinda lame besides that, but not because of their whiteness.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

My god I thought something interesting happened and it turns out that people are instead trying to out edgelord each other or something.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's that, it gets me worked up.

I think the Empire is kinda lame besides that, but not because of their whiteness.

You’re an elf fan shut the gently caress up

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

peer posted:

Well sure but I don't see why pegasus knights couldn't already fill this role: they're fancy heroes riding monsters that would be considered rarities and star attractions in any other human civilisation. I don't think you need the additional tier of "these guys are even MORE badass and ride even COOLER monsters" on top of it. It reeks of radious-style OTTness

Hippogriff knights have a different tactical role to (royal) pegasus knights and it's better to give them a visibly different unit model than make them a palette swap.

Pegasi in general are fast glass cannon, hippogriffs are more sustained get-in-there AP terror causers.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 19, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

You’re an elf fan shut the gently caress up

guilty as charged :(

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
"Geez, can't wait to nerd it up and chat about Warhammer. Let me just open the SA thread about it so I can read some game discussion"

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

For a moment I thought I was in TWC.
So I guess nothing new?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SickZip posted:

"Geez, can't wait to nerd it up and chat about Warhammer. Let me just open the SA thread about it so I can read some game discussion"
So I'm completely new to the Warhammer Total War games but an old Medieval/Rome Total War vet. Being new I played as the Empire so I could get familiar with the game with units that perform like units the previous Total War games I've played.

I secured the Reikland and saw all of the Brettonian Kingdoms getting clowned on by Vampires and Norsca - Brettonia itself lost L'Anguille, the Red Duke owned 3 settlements and the Barrow Legion owned 2, and one settlement was razed by a roving Chaos army - each of the Brettonian Kingdoms I could see was down to one settlement. So I said "this will not do, and I will not stand idle" so now its turn 56 and I own all of Brettonia:

My friend who introduced me to the game says I am doing it wrong :mad:.

Now its like turn 60 and I have an army up in Norsca razing settlements, an army encamped in Castle Artois to guard the Western Front, and two armies marching into Vampire controlled Empire territory to rescue my hapless Elector Counts from themselves. Kislev killed Nordland so I am thinking of recruiting an army to send up north to help raze the Vanaheimling/Norscan civilization to ashes and/or kick Kislev out of their Empire controlled lands.

Am I really doing it wrong? :ohdear:

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm literally shaking.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Bretonnia is rich as gently caress and unlikely to be attacked from the west, since it’s pretty much just high elves out that way. Sounds like you’re going to have a very easy time conquering the eastern and northern parts of the empire.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Well, you'll unfortunately probably have to deal with the Wood Elves permanently at some point. Always hated fighting them as Empire.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mukip posted:

I'm literally shaking.
:gonk:

litany of gulps posted:

Bretonnia is rich as gently caress and unlikely to be attacked from the west, since it’s pretty much just high elves out that way. Sounds like you’re going to have a very easy time conquering the eastern and northern parts of the empire.
Yes my income has like tripled and I have all the fancy buildings in my fully-upgraded Altdorf. When I recruit Reiksguards they are double gold Chevrons now :woop:

Karl Franz's army is all gold chevrons because I've had a high level Empire Captain in the army for a good 40 turns, which is why I am replacing my Reikland farms with more Barracks, so every army can have a Captain.

So it would be smart to conquer Empire lands back from Vampire Counts and Kislev, and try to confederate Empire ELECTOR COUNTS as I am able? None have been will yet, but we will see how they feel after I kick Mannfred out.

toasterwarrior posted:

Well, you'll unfortunately probably have to deal with the Wood Elves permanently at some point. Always hated fighting them as Empire.
I left Parravon and Carcassone alive, then bribed them for NAPs and Trade Agreements :v:

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You're not wrong at all. You've taken high quality territory with lots of big settlements and trade goods, nipped a significant vampiric threat in the bud, all done really quickly. You should be throwing up fast moneymakers in the new provinces, centralizing your investment on your capital so you gain access to the Empire's high quality units, and maybe sending a diplomatic unit to the elves or southern human realms to open up trade options. From the look of your map the eastern vampires have been busy and you should be scouting them constantly so that when they come, you are ready and in an ambush posture.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Holding both Bordeleaux and Marienburg is extremely loving good. So much cash.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The Empire has one of the most fun and diverse rosters in the entire game, with the ability to hang to some degree in virtually every type of combat the game offers; they've got decent infantry, skirmishers, cavalry, bows, gunpowder, artillery, magic, some light monsters, the works. They're also a little more interesting than the other factions that do this(both flavors of elf) because their individual units are quite underpowered on a pound for pound basis compared to many other races so they have to adopt a combined arms strategy to survive, which dovetails nicely with the whole "normal dudes working together to fight monsters" faction theme.

Basically if they had more varied starts available and some massive quality of life changes done to their research, buildings, and campaign mechanics to reflect how much the game has moved on since TWW1 they'd be my favorite faction in the whole game.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's that, it gets me worked up. It's not an asinine argument, it's a real thing that pervades Warhammer and that even GW itself is starting to push against these days.

I just want to point out that the fourth edition of the Warhammer Fantasy RPG has POC Imperial citizens as the norm now.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I was reading the description for Swordmasters of Hoeth and it mentions how they’re master swordsmen who have spent centuries training. So it’s funny to imagine some 19-year-old Empire yokel blowing a dozen of them up with a rocket.

The description for the Phoenix Guard says they all know when they will die. “Oh in a couple centuries my general is going to forget about me on the flank and then I’ll get blown up by a cannonball.”

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

kidkissinger posted:

I just want to point out that the fourth edition of the Warhammer Fantasy RPG has POC Imperial citizens as the norm now.

Which, unless they're explicitly immigrants from Araby or from Osternark, is dumb

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Whorelord posted:

Which, unless they're explicitly immigrants from Araby or from Osternark, is dumb

whew lad

edit: that rapsheet tho

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 19, 2018

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Trillhouse posted:

The description for the Phoenix Guard says they all know when they will die. “Oh in a couple centuries my general is going to forget about me on the flank and then I’ll get blown up by a cannonball.”
"It's a living!"

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I like the idea of the empire being a bunch of islands in an ocean of forests. In our world we clearcut most of the forests in Europe, but didn't have to deal with the insane monsters in the warhammer fantasy world.

Also, when I read on the fantasy wiki about the history of men in the old world, it says they migrated west over the worlds edge mountains due to greenskin migrations from further east. Does this mean they were living in the dark lands prior to that? Was it a nicer place to live at some point in the distant past?

The chaos dwarves have been living in the north of the dark lands since like at least the first daemon invasion so I kind of doubt it. There were also the kingdoms of nehekara in like, -2500 IC?

Maybe the human race originated in Cathay and migrated en masse like immediately after the daemons were all gone. Or maybe they came out of Africa, but that feels unlikely since it's either desert or jungle in the south lands.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

kidkissinger posted:

whew lad

edit: that rapsheet tho

What I'm saying is trying to rescue a setting whose depictions of black people are literal pygmies with bones through their noses and blackface lips by shoving in random poc into a setting based of medieval Germany makes no sense in the context of the world.

Go mad in 40k though, it definitely needs it

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
medieval germany had pocs so why can't fantasy-medieval-germany without it being "shoved in"

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I look forward to southern realms being released because when it’s about Italians it’s never racist and always funny

"We're walkin, here!" shouts the 160 man strong spear militia as the order to move is issued.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

peer posted:

medieval germany had pocs so why can't fantasy-medieval-germany without it being "shoved in"

I feel like there's way more barriers that stop people migrating in the Old World.

Sure the Silk Road was no picnic but I'd take trading through Central Asia vs Chaos Dwarfs, Orcs and Ogres

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
taking brettonia as empire is fine and will help you get mega rich, but chaos supplementary armies do spawn in the ocean and will attack you. youll need 2+ armies to defend that territory once the chaos invasion begins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Dandywalken posted:

"We're walkin, here!" shouts the 160 man strong spear militia as the order to move is issued.

"It issa mucha disputed as to what are da besta weapons fora making de siege. You gotta de stona throwers anna de bolt throwers, anna alla kinda cannons. Gunpowder is a greata invention. Iffa you can getta holda of a few mortars or bombards, you canna make de big holes in de walls. But you gotta have de right ammunition. So a stona thrower canna be justa as good. For ammunition, you can digga uppa de rocks 'an de stones, our use de big balls, or you can shoot dayd peoples over the wall to make the place stink. You canna even maka de spaghetti and shoota dat, or de razor-edged pizza." - official lore