Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

You fools don't realize this is the entrance ride to muskworld opening in 2022

I want to get off Mr. Musk's whompy ride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
its just so god drat stupid holy poo poo

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Should I post the Johnny Canal link again, or can I trust you guys to search for it on your own?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Schlubway is a good name for it

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm dense and haven't read too much about this, but are you supposed to install/remove those bumpers on your car every time you go in/out of the tunnel?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
nah, they just fold in under the car body somehow. that's not really explained in any way, because like everything else they just made it up to address the obvious unworkability of the idea

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

FAUXTON posted:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

This is dumber than I thought. Maybe for mining operations or for intra-property transport would something like that be useful, but as is, it's extremely worthless for anything other than covertly going to and from your secret compound/lair/hideout.

Obviously this is meant to be some sort of proof of concept rather than some sort of beta model, but the idea of using cars for transitioning onto roads is basically a whole bunch of jacking off by Musk so he doesn't have to wait in traffic. Of course, people of his position tend to use helicopters or hire drivers instead rather than driving themselves.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

They probably could have gotten someone outside a Home Depot who could do better concrete work

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Xelkelvos posted:

This is dumber than I thought. Maybe for mining operations or for intra-property transport would something like that be useful, but as is, it's extremely worthless for anything other than covertly going to and from your secret compound/lair/hideout.

Obviously this is meant to be some sort of proof of concept rather than some sort of beta model, but the idea of using cars for transitioning onto roads is basically a whole bunch of jacking off by Musk so he doesn't have to wait in traffic. Of course, people of his position tend to use helicopters or hire drivers instead rather than driving themselves.

That tunnel is literally for Musk to get to work quicker in the morning

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

infernal machines posted:

nah, they just fold in under the car body somehow. that's not really explained in any way, because like everything else they just made it up to address the obvious unworkability of the idea

Under the body? That's bonkers. Having them fold up would be easy, if ugly. Folding into a compartment in the doors seems sensible, but under the body would require a lot more work and checking for clearance, especially to prevent any bottoming out issues. Where it's positioned over the wheels doesn't work for the intent of hiding it under the body, but positioning where it'd retract under the doors would. Mind, there's now an issue where they might trap the doors if they don't go down.

Edit:

Jamsta posted:

That tunnel is literally for Musk to get to work quicker in the morning

Like I said, most sensible people figured out the solution via personal driver or helicopter. Musk is obviously not those.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Under the body? That's bonkers. Having them fold up would be easy, if ugly. Folding into a compartment in the doors seems sensible, but under the body would require a lot more work and checking for clearance, especially to prevent any bottoming out issues. Where it's positioned over the wheels doesn't work for the intent of hiding it under the body, but positioning where it'd retract under the doors would. Mind, there's now an issue where they might trap the doors if they don't go down.

You already thought more about this than they did

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I wonder how many bullets they'll find this time!

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Streak posted:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Kraanerg posted:

I was expecting this to at the least be like a Disneyland world of tomorrow type of thing

Instead, it's a Disneyland rollercoaster ride through Elon's mind.
It's featureless, gray, overpriced, the basis is bumpy, and it's completely useless.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1075238526566916101?s=19

:shuckyes: Precisely

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

FAUXTON posted:

stealing this

Kraanerg
Aug 17, 2013

orcinus posted:

It's featureless, gray, overpriced, the basis is bumpy, and it's completely useless.

the tunnel scene from Willy Wonka but Elon Musk

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

orcinus posted:

at least it would be a smooth ride

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

"If the world comes to me and contorts itself just perfectly to fit my crappy idea, this maybe might work with staggering inefficiency."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

"If you do things you're not capable of doing, with perfect precision and nothing new going wrong, you could match mid-twentieth century mass transit technology at only two or three orders of magnitude the cost!"

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
I think i'm losing my mind.

Is this some kind of a bizarro parallel universe?
Why are bazingas *and loving media* fawning over a *tunnel for car traffic*?!

We've had those, and underpasses, for years.

How is lifting a car with a lift more efficient than a ramp?
How is a lift supposed to service a car per second?
loving FREE FALL WILL TAKE A SECOND.

What is going on?

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just learned that elon musk tried to buy the Onion after it made fun of him, and when he wasn't able to, launched his own version which no one reads

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God drat I can’t believe they released that loop video and thought people would go “cool” instead of “wow this is stupid as gently caress”

Kraanerg
Aug 17, 2013

paul_soccer10 posted:

I just learned that elon musk tried to buy the Onion after it made fun of him, and when he wasn't able to, launched his own version which no one reads

he’s trump

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

Streak posted:

It's in LA too where holy poo poo do we not need stupid ideas

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
What's even more amusing to me about these tunnels is Musky boi seems convinced that cities are built directly on top of dirt.

It's not like there's power, sewage, data, water, and subway lines that could extend quite deep beneath them. Not to mention there's other things like underground parking lots and other sub-levels of buildings.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

God drat I can’t believe they released that loop video and thought people would go “cool” instead of “wow this is stupid as gently caress”

Unfortunately, there are people that do think it's cool. They're dumb as gently caress, but what else is new?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
why didn’t he cancel the event? is he that confident the press will ignore that nothing about the tunnel was as promised?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Xelkelvos posted:

Obviously this is meant to be some sort of proof of concept rather than some sort of beta mode

what part of driving a car through a tunnel requires a proof of concept? the concept was proven 155 years ago

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

I would fight to the death to not be put in this

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Iron Crowned posted:

What's even more amusing to me about these tunnels is Musky boi seems convinced that cities are built directly on top of dirt.

It's not like there's power, sewage, data, water, and subway lines that could extend quite deep beneath them. Not to mention there's other things like underground parking lots and other sub-levels of buildings.

Just dig deeper.

No, deeeeeeper.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ymgve posted:

Just dig deeper.

No, deeeeeeper.

Then you have to contend with balrogs

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

infernal machines posted:

what part of driving a car through a tunnel requires a proof of concept? the concept was proven 155 years ago

It's presumably more a proof that his company is actually capable of building the tunnel nad the lift system. The quality is obviously still an issue and the logistics obviously haven't been figured out, but something has been made and for a number of investors, that's good enough to keep throwing money on the bonfire.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

orcinus posted:

I think i'm losing my mind.

Is this some kind of a bizarro parallel universe?
Why are bazingas *and loving media* fawning over a *tunnel for car traffic*?!

We've had those, and underpasses, for years.

How is lifting a car with a lift more efficient than a ramp?
How is a lift supposed to service a car per second?
loving FREE FALL WILL TAKE A SECOND.

What is going on?

It's a cult, op. Between the wealth worship, false background (he lifted himself by his bootstraps!!!!), his big talk about the future, and huge threat of climate change, people are desperate for a hero and Musk is willing to be paid a lot of money for it. Also he enjoys doing meth in his robot factory of death.

Kraanerg
Aug 17, 2013
When I was five I thought it would be so awesome if there was an underground mag-lev trolley that only we used that went directly from my parents’ house to my grandparents’ house. I spent a lot of time thinking about how to implement it and fantasizing about it then I turned six. Basically what I’m trying to say is

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Iron Crowned posted:

Then you have to contend with balrogs

That's what the flamethrowers are for.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

orange sky posted:

There is no way in hell that tunnel only cost 10mil

I assure you, and we will find this out later, that Elon managed to spend at least 50 million dollars on this

according to the arts technical article, the $10 million figure excluded such minor things as the cost of equipment, R&D, etc., so yeah.

(I’m keeping the dumb autocorrect)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
also, media wasn’t allowed to shoot pictures or video without Tesla’s consent so the disco sewer pic was literally the best thing they had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

pushpins posted:

It's in LA too where holy poo poo do we not need stupid ideas

You know what fascinates me about LA?

Everyone's perfectly fine being stuck in traffic on the highway for hours at a time, while small roads are almost completely free of traffic.
They're deteriorating in a lot of places, and are not being serviced properly, because no one is using them, because everyone's on the highways, talking how there should be more highways, or some other means of making the traffic more efficient. While like 75% of the total surface area of LA roads stays underused and mismanaged.