Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Jetpacks when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lord Stimperor posted:

Catapults imo

:hmmyes:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Bip Roberts posted:

lol drive anywhere on the west side 4-7 pm. it once took me a full hour to get from UCLA to the 405 (maybe 5 blocks)

Drove south and north, it was faster (despite way more tiring navigation) than the highway.
That was in the summer, quite a while ago.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Musks devotion to quality extends beyond the concrete rails to the bricks made from the dirt:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shifty Pony posted:

Musks devotion to quality extends beyond the concrete rails to the bricks made from the dirt:

imagine it being your job, spending days, weeks even, designing or building this stupid loving thing because the owner of your company likes a gag from a 43 year old movie

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm trying to parse the pictures, but is that bricks mortared to metal panels/sheet that are then put up? I don't see how the panels are attached or how one is expected to go up it besides a cherry picker or something.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?

Shifty Pony posted:

i love it, the much touted "bricks for affordable housing" aren't even structural

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
just laughed out loud remembering when elon kept going on with all the cool stuff he was putting in his rescue pod so the kids didnt get bored while the kids were actually getting rescued

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm trying to parse the pictures, but is that bricks mortared to metal panels/sheet that are then put up? I don't see how the panels are attached or how one is expected to go up it besides a cherry picker or something.

they're hung like curtain wall, which is pretty bog standard building technique. presumably there's no way to go up the tower because there's no reason to go up the tower. there might be enough space for stairs inside though

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Just look at those panel gaps :eyepop:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I was more laughing about how the bricks aren't even laid flush.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

infernal machines posted:

imagine it being your job, spending days, weeks even, designing or building this stupid loving thing because the owner of your company likes a gag from a 43 year old movie

What movie is it supposed to be from?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shifty Pony posted:

Construction, how does it loving work?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

What movie is it supposed to be from?

The watchtower was inspired by the French guards in Monty Python's The Holy Grail

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

this is incredibly analogous for elon musk as a whole :stare:

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Holy loving poo poo. Please go to Mars you idiots. I'll stay here and wait for the inevitable and well deserved death of the human race.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I fart in your general direction!
*bricks fall off*

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Main Paineframe posted:

can't find it again but I saw one tweet along the lines of "capacity could be even higher if people carpooled, but then you'd be sharing a vehicle with a psychopath"

Elon is giving rides now?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Hub Cat posted:

Elon is giving rides now?

He took a lot of people for a lot of rides.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

donoteat posted:

i love it, the much touted "bricks for affordable housing" aren't even structural

They aren’t even bricks.
They’re decorative panels.

These wouldn’t fly at all in Seth Ifrika, you’d have rebelling slaves coming in through the walls in the middle of the night.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

PANEL GAPS

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

donoteat posted:

That was always going to be the case unless you happen to be digging through something like London Clay which can be made directly into bricks. Otherwise you're just making mud bricks or, at best, very, very low-quality cement.

I'm 99.9% certain Musky read a report about companies competing to remove Crossrail's tailings for brickmaking and used his giant brain to completely ignore boring things like geology and basic materials science, to say "Hmm, tunnel... make bricks... housing problem solved, Musk you're a genius!".

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Lord Stimperor posted:

Catapults imo

https://i.imgur.com/lpk4jx5.mp4

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That was always going to be the case unless you happen to be digging through something like London Clay which can be made directly into bricks. Otherwise you're just making mud bricks or, at best, very, very low-quality cement.

I'm 99.9% certain Musky read a report about companies competing to remove Crossrail's tailings for brickmaking and used his giant brain to completely ignore boring things like geology and basic materials science, to say "Hmm, tunnel... make bricks... housing problem solved, Musk you're a genius!".

his infinite genius extends to using the extracted dirt as aggregate for the tunnel concrete too, because who gives a poo poo about aggregate chemistry right? sure, the poo poo will look like melted swiss cheese in a couple years because half of it never set and the other half is gas pockets, but whatever, i'm sure it's not structural or anything

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

his infinite genius extends to using the extracted dirt as aggregate for the tunnel concrete too, because who gives a poo poo about aggregate chemistry right? sure, the poo poo will look like melted swiss cheese in a couple years because half of it never set and the other half is gas pockets, but whatever, i'm sure it's not structural or anything

I'm willing to bet that he actually thinks the reason there's a housing crisis is a shortage of bricks, if it comes to it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Here's how HR Giger planned the same thing for Switzerland. In 1993. Using maglev trains going at 600 kmph.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

donoteat posted:

unreinforced masonry structures are illegal in california because they don't work during an earthquake

ofc this still didn't prevent ol musky from claiming that they're "seismically rated"

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1040139968843145216

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/978140940241059840

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
This is what he built right?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sometimes less is more

Kraanerg
Aug 17, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

This would be better if he had just decided that people should should ride roller coasters to work

if he was trying to sell us on a vast network of monorails that would at least be something that could actually be implemented effectively. an interwoven network of above-and-below-ground roller coasters is closer to a feasible idea than what he's proposing

Kraanerg
Aug 17, 2013
WHy does it require the vehicles to be equipped with bumper-skates??! Just make a loving tunnel and drive through it! All these cars are going to be 100% fully automated next generation right? So why bother with a physical guidance appliance? Holy gently caress

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

What movie is this? :stare:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Iron Crowned posted:

What's even more amusing to me about these tunnels is Musky boi seems convinced that cities are built directly on top of dirt.

It's not like there's power, sewage, data, water, and subway lines that could extend quite deep beneath them. Not to mention there's other things like underground parking lots and other sub-levels of buildings.

The genius Elon Musk invented putting infrastructure underground.

scopes
Jun 5, 2004

The last guy has it right. To these people, thinking truly is weird.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
dont think, just elon

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wheany posted:

The genius Elon Musk invented putting infrastructure underground.

New York and London have some pretty old subways.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

tenderjerk posted:

dont, elon

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Does that tunnel he had made have ventilation or did they skip it because they think without exhaust they don't need it?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sab0921 posted:

This is what he built right?

lmao i forgot about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kraanerg posted:

WHy does it require the vehicles to be equipped with bumper-skates??! Just make a loving tunnel and drive through it! All these cars are going to be 100% fully automated next generation right? So why bother with a physical guidance appliance? Holy gently caress

so the cars can't crash even if autopilot fails a driver falls asleep in their seat and pulls the wheel to the side, ruining the brave and perfect autopilot's attempts to keep it going steady