Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Tab8715 posted:

Tell me where to find these insanely high-paying Financial Positions.

I'm not entirely sure I would (or even could) work that for a year to stock up cash. I might go insane or just straight up die.

e: quoted for new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I mean I have no wife, no kids, and hardly any friends. All it means is less time for video games.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I couldn't work that much for any amount of money. No one should. It's not worth it. You only have one life on this planet, my dudes.

My last job I was getting extreme with 50-55 hours/week, now that I have union-mandated 7.25 hour work days life is just wonderful. We had a prod ADFS issue last night and I had to run some tests for 20 minutes or so, instant 4h overtime at 2x hourly pay :smug:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
You gotta find the finance people who know that they can make ridiculous money even if they don't work until midnight every day. I don't know if that's even a thing anymore (all the ones I know who are like that are my dad's age at least) but that firm I was talking about earlier, the guys in the NYSE floor post had a drawer full of pre-tied ties they only put on when the opening bell rang (the first time I saw this was like a Wayne's World "We are not worthy!" moment), and everybody in their office was gone within 10 minutes of the closing bell.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I really don't think it's as bad as some people are making it seem. If you're single, relatively young, by all means, do it for a year, make an insane amount of money, get a huge headstart on your nest egg, and then move on. It's not a job for a 36 year old father of 2, but not every job needs to be.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
I am willing to try one of these jobs for a year.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
yeah it is very much "get that paper for a year, get the gently caress out" kind of space. That's why turnover is so high

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I really don't think it's as bad as some people are making it seem. If you're single, relatively young, by all means, do it for a year, make an insane amount of money, get a huge headstart on your nest egg, and then move on. It's not a job for a 36 year old father of 2, but not every job needs to be.

Wasting your life away at a job like that isn't automatically okay if you're young and single. Not by any means. It's not remotely worth going a year without a social life, friends, relationships, healthy activities, etc.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's not remotely worth going a year without a social life, friends, relationships, healthy activities, etc.

I've been doing this for most of my adult life and I don't even have a high-paying job as an excuse!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

H110Hawk posted:

Look up any high frequency trading jobs. They pay astronomical amounts of money and will cover all of your expenses, including some that do like laundry service etc. The trade off is they own you. You get time to sleep and maybe a few hours off on Sunday. Period.

My buddy does python coding (maybe other stuff now) for an HFT place, they paid him 120k starting and he had no knowledge at all; my assumption is he's up to 200k or more at this point since he's been there a bit and is probably one of the senior coders.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
The very existence of those places is distasteful to me on a gut level. I can't even imagine giving up my waking life to them, huge stacks of money or not, even before I had a family.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My dream is to be like the kid from the documentary Chasing Bubbles

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ibP5IQxId34

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

MF_James posted:

Offer accepted! :yotj: 25k raise and moving into a 100% engineering/project role :yotj:

So much yes! Congrats!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Got an offer finally! I am moving up to the mid five figgies and bennies club! Even though I bombed that hour long interview but they said,I knew a lot but I didn't have much depth so while the job I applied for I wasn't really qualified for, they liked me enough as a person and thought I was trainable enough that they created a new position as an apprentice dude who they're gonna train up to eventually take the position.

Sorry if the above doesn't make sense, I feel all rambly and giddy.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's really great. Congrats!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

Got an offer finally! I am moving up to the mid five figgies and bennies club! Even though I bombed that hour long interview but they said,I knew a lot but I didn't have much depth so while the job I applied for I wasn't really qualified for, they liked me enough as a person and thought I was trainable enough that they created a new position as an apprentice dude who they're gonna train up to eventually take the position.

Excited for mid 5 figures? Apprentice? Must be your first IT job, congrats.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

chin up everything sucks posted:

Basically, yes.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MF_James posted:

Offer accepted! :yotj: 25k raise and moving into a 100% engineering/project role :yotj:

Defenestrategy posted:

Hell yeah

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

chin up everything sucks posted:

Small shop IT kept me closer to 30,000/year, but yea first actual IT job where I'm gonna have a manager, and co-workers who are tech savvy.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Congrats on the new jobs, goons :yotj: :guinness:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Straw poll: should I go home and drink heavily this evening? I know it's only Wednesday.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Vargatron posted:

Straw poll: should I go home and drink heavily this evening? I know it's only Wednesday.

I'm in.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
No, you should go home and drink heavily right now.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

you hosed up by coming in

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Compromise and drink heavily at work

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Bonuses came out today!

Half of a percent of salary.

Doesn't speak well to the health of the company, to be honest. Also doesn't speak well to my motivation to go above and beyond in the next few months.

Maybe I'm just being grumpy.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Bonuses came out today!

Half of a percent of salary.

Doesn't speak well to the health of the company, to be honest. Also doesn't speak well to my motivation to go above and beyond in the next few months.

Maybe I'm just being grumpy.

You get bonuses in IT???

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I got my bonus last week, at 8% of salary. Can't complain too much about that.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
It's always a fun exercise, to see how my company is going to not pay me my bonus every year. I'm reasonably sure my VP was smoking a cigar in a hot tub while wearing a monocle last year while he explained that money was just too tight.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I am curious what my FTE counterparts bonus are this year. According to the CEO this was the most profitable year in company 80+ history

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure my company had their worst year in a while but I don't give a poo poo give me my money I did my part!!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I got a bonus three times larger from the MSP 4 years ago, when I was making 1/4 the salary.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I have extra reason to turn up tonight: I got accepted into the computer science program at the college I work for. And it's free!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Vargatron posted:

Yes.

Though I'm just headed home from a concert, so... Might be biased!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I fully believe that 100% of humanity takes for granted the feeling of not being sick. Trying to work from home as I succumb to a head cold and I’m just a massive miserable grump who just wants to die.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

George H.W. oval office posted:

I fully believe that 100% of humanity takes for granted the feeling of not being sick. Trying to work from home as I succumb to a head cold and I’m just a massive miserable grump who just wants to die.

Not those of us with young kids. I’ve simply forgotten what it feels like to be healthy or well rested at all!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

George H.W. oval office posted:

Take the day off sick, you dummy. That's what sick leave is for.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Tab8715 posted:

What did an actual day look like? What kind projects, tickets and what else came at you?

I had several things daily:

1) Reports to the various markets. NYSE, Nasdaq, CME, Liffe, Brut, Inet, they all had various things we had to do/file/send in by very strict times every day, so making sure those were done and filed and accepted. This was mostly on my DBA team.
2) Support the traders. whatever they needed, didn't matter, just get it done faster and better.
3) Normal IT poo poo. Figuring out when to do maintenance, email, desktop poo poo, that stays the same no matter what.
4) Keeping the lovely in house application happy and running. Java on Linux in 2002 wasn't awesome. Running a global real time distributed trading platform across 4 countries on Java on Linux was less awesome.

CLAM DOWN posted:

You get bonuses in IT???

We got 7.3% of salary last year. 8% the year before. We should get around that this year.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Having lived it, I disagree. I walked away from a base salary of 250k and I've never looked back. The stress, hours and everything could have actually killed me. No amount of paper is worth that.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
I won't get my bonus until march. But I did just get my leave loading paid out, which was a nice $500 surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

CLAM DOWN posted:

You get bonuses in IT???

Nearly hit 20% last year. Plus maybe a few other awards.