Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

ilkhan posted:

13 seems like a lot for an electric.

He is counting every little bit that moves, including the bearings in that figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
No idea how it affects fuel economy but humans are really bad at maintaining a constant speed unless they're really paying attention (they're not). It's a big contributor to traffic.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

stevewm posted:

He is counting every little bit that moves, including the bearings in that figure.

Bearings, reduction gears, differential gears, and rotor.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

drgitlin posted:

Getting a pilot's license is actually difficult and involves some training, unlike your average US driver's license.

Any idiot with 3 semi functional brain cells and 15 grand to throw at an instructor at a county airport can get a pilots license in less than 2 weeks. Getting that thing is just as easy as a drivers license. Paying for it is the only hard part.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

I don't think this number is right everything I read has been higher, but I suppose you might be able to get that if you change the tires.

Motortrend tested it at 6.3, most other articles say 6.5 with stock tires. Could probably get less with better tires.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the problem with most L3 autonomous driving systems right now is that they handle all the easy stuff and expect the driver to jump back in, prepared and ready to react, when there is a situation that the the ADS does not understand - and usually those are the most difficult situations for a human driver to handle as well. this is not long-term viable as a safety feature.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Warrior Princess posted:

Any idiot with 3 semi functional brain cells and 15 grand to throw at an instructor at a county airport can get a pilots license in less than 2 weeks. Getting that thing is just as easy as a drivers license. Paying for it is the only hard part.

Lol

Lol

ratbert90 posted:

Huh, it looks like a driver was on the phone and the Tesla was constantly bugging them to look up, and they didn't.

The correct behavior in that situation is for the car to immediately decelerate and pull to the side of the road. Every car manufacturer, including Tesla, very clearly* states that their ADAS cannot be used if the driver is not focused on the road and immediately ready to take over. Failure to respond to "wake up" prompts is an emergency situation and having the car continue barreling happily forwards with a driver that it knows is not paying attention is criminally negligent.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Which is why I was talking about consumer perceptions. When you're writing marketing materials, you absolutely need to be aware of how what you're saying will be received by your intended audience. There's no way that Tesla was surprised when people saw "autopilot" and thought "self-driving car".

Yes. Splitting hairs about what an autopilot in a plane actually does is meaningless. People think that autopilot means "press butan go to sleep" so that's what they'll do. you may notice that no other manufacturer uses terms that imply anything other than "this helps you, the driver, drive the car."

we do not have self-driving cars, probably won't for decades, and advertising anything otherwise is, again, criminally negligent

*Actually, Tesla is not very clear about this and in fact their marketing appears to intentionally obfuscate this fact

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 18, 2018

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the problem with most L3 autonomous driving systems right now is that they handle all the easy stuff and expect the driver to jump back in, prepared and ready to react, when there is a situation that the the ADS does not understand - and usually those are the most difficult situations for a human driver to handle as well. this is not long-term viable as a safety feature.

What L3 system is on the market? AFIAK Audi's Traffic Jam Pilot might not even be active in Germany; it's certainly not coming to the US.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Sagebrush posted:

The correct behavior in that situation is for the car to immediately decelerate and pull to the side of the road. Every car manufacturer, including Tesla, very clearly states that their ADAS cannot be used if the driver is not focused on the road and immediately ready to take over. Failure to respond to "wake up" prompts is an emergency situation and having the car continue barreling happily forwards with a driver that it knows is not paying attention is criminally negligent.

How would a Tesla even know? Their DMS is a torque sensor on the steering column that people can (and do) defeat with fruit.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think semi-autonomous cars should deliver a reasonably powerful electric shock to the driver should their attention wane.

Enough of this binging and bonging. Make the drivers put some skin in the game.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

drgitlin posted:

What L3 system is on the market? AFIAK Audi's Traffic Jam Pilot might not even be active in Germany; it's certainly not coming to the US.

You know perfectly well that Tesla repeatedly claims their system is L3.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Where?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Powershift posted:

I think semi-autonomous cars should deliver a reasonably powerful electric shock to the driver should their attention wane.

Enough of this binging and bonging. Make the drivers put some skin in the game.

I mean when you barrel into a barrier at 70 you'll have lots of skin in the game. And some on the concrete too.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I mean when you barrel into a barrier at 70 you'll have lots of skin in the game. And some on the concrete too.

Reminds me of the driver safety device that consists of a sharpened steel spike in the middle of the wheel, to make sure you're paying attention.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Reminds me of the driver safety device that consists of a sharpened steel spike in the middle of the wheel, to make sure you're paying attention.

It's called Tullock's Spike.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Tullock#Tullock%27s_spike

Thanks for remembering that and not any important poo poo, brain.

Musk has been saying autopilot driving itself coast to coast is only a few months out for like, 2 years now, if that counts.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Powershift posted:

Musk has been saying autopilot driving itself coast to coast is only a few months out for like, 2 years now, if that counts.

True, and Tesla’s page about autopilot is not exactly clear on what is implemented and what is coming in Tesla time, but I don’t know of anywhere they’ve claimed to be shipping L3 software.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrYenko posted:

True, and Tesla’s page about autopilot is not exactly clear on what is implemented and what is coming in Tesla time, but I don’t know of anywhere they’ve claimed to be shipping L3 software.

Didn't they already charge a bunch of people 5 grand for it though?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Powershift posted:

Didn't they already charge a bunch of people 5 grand for it though?
With a quite large "pending it being ready and regulatory approval" warning.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

drgitlin posted:

sorry, typo, L2

edit: point holds for future L3 as well though

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

You think I’m joking I guess, but there’s one of those “PPL fast!” joints here that literally gives it out in two weeks for 15K. I know two people who’ve done it and they’re the sort of person you’re amazed are still alive because you’d think they’d have forgotten how to breathe by now. Like the Phoenix university of flight school.

Warrior Princess fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 18, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Warrior Princess posted:

The private pilot exam is a *lot* harder than any US driving license exam (admittedly a low bar), and requires quite a few hours of actual flight time at the controls (unlike most state's auto driving licenses.) I've done the exam, but not the hours, many years ago.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I did the exam for the PPL back in high school. It's been a while.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

ilkhan posted:

I did the exam for the PPL back in high school. It's been a while.

I remember doing both the PPL written and my drivers written at around the same time as well when I was in High School. I had to study about the same for both tests. I don't remember the PPL written being any more difficult than the driving written, just a different topic. And the hours I did at a rural non-towered airfield were absolutely laughably trivial. It was the equivalent of going into the DMV and being told by the instructor to drive around the block.

Slightly related but not really: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180814-norways-plan-for-a-fleet-of-electric-planes

Warrior Princess fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 18, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yes, Norway's aviation infrastructure will soon be proudly electric-ready. We'll do all the difficult stuff, like figuring out how to plug in, and then some manufacturers can do the simple stuff, like building the planes.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

Ola posted:

Yes, Norway's aviation infrastructure will soon be proudly electric-ready. We'll do all the difficult stuff, like figuring out how to plug in, and then some manufacturers can do the simple stuff, like building the planes.

That was my favorite part.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I watched a video of an electric two-seater trainer airplane awhile ago. I seem to recall that once it was in the air and cruising, it used less power per mile than a Model S does.

Of course, there's a big difference between a prop trainer that only needs maybe a couple of hours of endurance and, say, a 737.

EDIT: duh, should've read the article. I'm almost certainly thinking of the Pipistrel Alpha Electro.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

You know perfectly well that Tesla repeatedly claims their system is L3.

No one from Tesla has said that to me in any interaction I’ve had with them. They always (rightly) stress that the human is always responsible for situational awareness.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Warrior Princess posted:

I remember doing both the PPL written and my drivers written at around the same time as well when I was in High School. I had to study about the same for both tests. I don't remember the PPL written being any more difficult than the driving written, just a different topic. And the hours I did at a rural non-towered airfield were absolutely laughably trivial. It was the equivalent of going into the DMV and being told by the instructor to drive around the block.

Slightly related but not really: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180814-norways-plan-for-a-fleet-of-electric-planes

My US drivers license written didn't actually have words, it was all pictures and multiple choice. I think you're underselling the PPL process just a little bit.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Swerve to the left has never failed me.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Lol shut the gently caress up about ppl written and dmv tests being anywhere close, or for that matter a drivers test vs a cert checkride by a DPE. Not even on the same planet.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Warrior Princess posted:

Did you actually complete the license, though? You're not describing the entire process.

A US PPL certificate requires:

- acceptance as a student by an accredited FAA flight school or flight instructor
- a medical examination and certification by a flight surgeon
- a minimum of 40 hours of flight time, 20 hours dual instruction, 10 solo, 10 either, 3 hours night, 3 hours simulated instrument conditions (tne national average is something like 70-80hr though)
- three cross-country flights, including one of more than 50 nautical miles radius (150nm total distance) that lands at three separate airports (these must be planned by the student)
- in-seat training in a long list of specific topics, including basic flight, takeoffs and landings, combination maneuvers, ground-reference maneuvers, emergency procedures, navigation, airspace regulations, radio operation, etc.
- passing of a written test that includes all of the above topics as well as aerodynamic theory, aircraft mechanics, engine operation, instrument operation, weather theory, flight planning, aeromedical concerns, legal and regulatory frameworks, etc.
- demonstration of your skillset in both an oral exam and a practical flight exam, which may test you on any topic covered in training

When you have completed that, you have an VFR ASEL PPL, which lets you fly a single-piston-engined aircraft for personal recreation or transport in visual flight conditions only. Instrument training is comparable in time, cost and effort to doing the whole thing again. A commercial license is additional training. Type-ratings for complex aircraft are additional training. It goes on and on.

There are certainly schools that advertise getting a pilot's license in two weeks and I don't doubt that some people have done it. There are technically enough hours to do it. I think the vast majority of people cannot actually pull that off, and even if they do, they absolutely won't be as safe and competent as someone who learned at a more relaxed pace.

But most importantly: you are a loving lunatic if you think that getting a US driver's license is anything like what I've described above. In most jurisdictions it's going to be a multiple-choice test with 40 questions along the lines of "what do you do at a red octagonal sign," followed by a 20 minute long drive around the block where you demonstrate that you know what to do at a red octagonal sign. It's not even in the same galaxy of complexity.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 18, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

drgitlin posted:

No one from Tesla has said that to me in any interaction I’ve had with them. They always (rightly) stress that the human is always responsible for situational awareness.

And they tell you every time you activate Autopilot as well.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

And they tell you every time you activate Autopilot as well.

is that before or after you stuff an orange into the steering wheel

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I passed the PPL written when I was 12 but didn't pass the DL until I was 16.

Tbf I am super brain geniuous though.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

The correct behavior in that situation is for the car to immediately decelerate and pull to the side of the road.

I'm pretty sure at least one manufacturer (possibly either Audi or Volvo) has looked into implementing that. Though the problem there is that you're crossing a line from "driver assistance" to "full-on autonomous driving" - opening the same legal can of worms as Audi's Traffic Jam Pilot.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
You guys weren't kidding when you said the Volt is a gateway drug to a full EV. I want to always be in electric mode. Luckily unless I'm visiting my mom or extended family I'll pretty much always have battery

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Yes... Yes it most certainly is. I long for warmer months when I get my full 50-60 miles back.

Have you tried Sport mode yet? :D

My next car will definitely be full EV. Not sure I could go back to ICE full time. When I have to use our ICE company car... it just feels so.... primitive.

Tyrgle
Apr 3, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

Yes. Splitting hairs about what an autopilot in a plane actually does is meaningless. People think that autopilot means "press butan go to sleep" so that's what they'll do. you may notice that no other manufacturer uses terms that imply anything other than "this helps you, the driver, drive the car."

Ford Co-Pilot, named after a person who sits in the seat next to you with an identical set of controls, is clearly just something that helps you, the driver, drive the car. This is obvious to any normal person, while an autopilot, literally a device which just keeps the plane level at a particular speed and heading, is obviously a self-aware robot butler who will drive the car for you.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They really called it “co-pilot”? Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tyrgle posted:

Ford Co-Pilot, named after a person who sits in the seat next to you with an identical set of controls, is clearly just something that helps you, the driver, drive the car. This is obvious to any normal person, while an autopilot, literally a device which just keeps the plane level at a particular speed and heading, is obviously a self-aware robot butler who will drive the car for you.

Lol, I didn't know that Ford had done that. That's also pretty dumb.

However, again, you're splitting hairs about what the machines actually do versus what people think they do. People hear "co-pilot" and think "right, like he sits beside the pilot and they work together" but they hear "autopilot" and think "ah, the machine that flies the plane by itself." Co-pilot is psychologically less misleading than autopilot.