Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

You can't just mention that scene then not post a video clip of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJmuHNDcXLQ

I wanna rewatch this show, is there a cheapish way to do it that's not over amazon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Check your local library? Mine has the DVDs for season 1-5, though it seems to be missing the movies.

Other than that, :filez:?

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Galvanik posted:

You can't just mention that scene then not post a video clip of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJmuHNDcXLQ

I wanna rewatch this show, is there a cheapish way to do it that's not over amazon?

Londo’s grimace is almost beautiful.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

mllaneza posted:

Nifty !

Not to steal your thunder, but some people may not know that there is a complete space sim based on flying Starfurys.

Free (legal) download
http://babylon.hard-light.net

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTFj4AuokaQ

Yep played with it the other day as well. Good chance it's the original source of the models I grabbed.

Too deep into sim territory for my tastes and probably better with a flight stick, but I'm just fiddling around with unity really for mine.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Hexyflexy posted:

Londo’s grimace is almost beautiful.

I think the Narn Genocide and the death of Urza have really challenged his idea of what the Centauri Empire was and is. He was probably raised hearing stories of their past glories but never had to face the ugly realities of court and colonialism.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

ThingOne posted:

I think the Narn Genocide and the death of Urza have really challenged his idea of what the Centauri Empire was and is. He was probably raised hearing stories of their past glories but never had to face the ugly realities of court and colonialism.

It's really encapsulated in his favorite joke:

How many Centauri does it take to screw in a light-bulb?
Just one, but in the great old days of Republic hundreds of servants would change a thousand light-bulbs at our slightest whim!

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Welp, just started a re-watch of Babylon 5 for the umpteenth time and it's all this thread's fault.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I watched the season 4 finale on my ride in to work. This is where they weren't sure if they were getting picked back up for another season, right? I think I would be satisfied if the series ended right here. Not everything is tied up and resolved, but there is still a good feeling of closure. I don't know how to describe the finale as anything but delightful, especially that dedication at the end.

One glaring omission though: Sheridan didn't jump off anything high.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

wizzardstaff posted:

I watched the season 4 finale on my ride in to work.

Deconstruction of Falling Stars or Sleeping in Light? The latter was made at the end of S4, but was shown at the end of S5; the former was made at the start of S5, but shown at the end of S4.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Oh, good question, I wasn't aware of that production order. It was Deconstruction of Falling Stars; I'm watching in the order presented by Amazon.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Wait until you get to Sleeping in Light, then!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Galvanik posted:

Do you get digital antenna sub-channels? The scifi channel Comet is playing B5 daily, they should be getting back around to season 1 sometime in mid-January by my estimate.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

hangedman1984 posted:

Welp, just started a re-watch of Babylon 5 for the umpteenth time and it's all this thread's fault.

Same. Started a few weeks ago.

Currently rewatching The Fall Of Night, which is still probably my favorite episode in the entire show. The scene with Zach and the Nightwatch rep is just so uncomfortable and is a great example of how societal pressure can make good people do bad things.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

As it turns out my local Library does have all 5 seasons :)

I never would have guessed that they'd have anything old like that. With books they're usually just whatever current stuff was released, then as soon as they're a few years old they get tossed.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Come the Inquisitor was interesting, at times it felt more like I was watching a play than a TV show. I'm not entire sure what the Vorlon's angle was. I guess they wanted to make sure Delenn and Sheridan weren't doing it for their own glory?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m eight episodes into season four and I have to say that the mincing Centauri major domo guy is giving Draal a run for his money as best tertiary character. The actor seems to be taking inspiration from Are You Being Served, and I love it.

Cartagia gets some points for excessive camp.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

lol, thanks, I can already see and hear him saying "you've all done very well"

Edit: oh jeez I just realized you meant Mr. Humphries :doh:

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 20, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Draal is just the best. Zathras is close. Does Morden count as tertiary? He’s up there too, if so.

Centauri chamberlain is also great but not on the level of any of those. I mean I can’t even remember his name.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The depiction of Cartagia was clearly... let's say inspired by John Hurt's Caligula in I, Claudius, so if you liked that, go watch it. Bonus: Patrick Stewart with hair and Brian Blessed without a beard.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

ConfusedUs posted:

Draal is just the best. Zathras is close. Does Morden count as tertiary? He’s up there too, if so.

Centauri chamberlain is also great but not on the level of any of those. I mean I can’t even remember his name.

I don't think he ever gets a name.

ThingOne posted:

Come the Inquisitor was interesting, at times it felt more like I was watching a play than a TV show. I'm not entire sure what the Vorlon's angle was. I guess they wanted to make sure Delenn and Sheridan weren't doing it for their own glory?

Basically. The Inquisitor says something like So, what if you do this and you die alone, forgotten and unremembered, in the dark where no one knows you did anything at all?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’m eight episodes into season four and I have to say that the mincing Centauri major domo guy is giving Draal a run for his money as best tertiary character. The actor seems to be taking inspiration from Are You Being Served, and I love it.

Cartagia gets some points for excessive camp.

I really love Draal for just being the least Minbari-esque Minbari. He's so old and wise he just does not give two shits about decorum and tradition anymore.

"I rather liked the song..."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Yeah, there's clearly an attempt to do I, Centauri showing through quite clearly. JMS pulled it off too, the Centauri plots were some of the very best parts of the show.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Well that escalated...everything.

So Earthgov has decided to drop the act and go full fasc and of course that means they're cozying up with the Centauri. Meanwhile the Centauri are so high on their own success they think they could've attacked Babylon 5 and gotten away with it. They're going to overreach eventually and get burned bad and I doubt Space Satan is big on helping out failed minions. I'm not sure if Londo not being able to see Kosh is a sign of how far he's fallen or if it means that the Vorlons never tampered with the Centauri.

Edit: The fact that the Vorlons have apparently conditioned younger races to see them as angels is a bit odd in it's own right. If the Shadows are such bad news it seems like you wouldn't need extra prodding to accept the their help.

ThingOne fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 20, 2018

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really love Draal for just being the least Minbari-esque Minbari. He's so old and wise he just does not give two shits about decorum and tradition anymore.

"I rather liked the song..."

I recall Dukhat having some similar characterization the few times we saw him in flashbacks. There were a couple points he basically told the rest of the Grey Council to quit being assholes, assholes.

Maybe it's the beard.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Anyone talking about tertiary characters needs to wait until the series is over and then talk to me about Neroon.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Anyone talking about tertiary characters needs to wait until the series is over and then talk to me about Neroon.

TER-ti-AARRY

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I don't think he ever gets a name.

His name is Virini, but I think it’s only said once, in his last appearance.

quote:

Basically. The Inquisitor says something like So, what if you do this and you die alone, forgotten and unremembered, in the dark where no one knows you did anything at all?

And this comes back in a later season.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Also, RIP space-fighter dude. I'd say you'll be missed but I don't think you actually did anything.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ThingOne posted:

Also, RIP space-fighter dude. I'd say you'll be missed but I don't think you actually did anything.

The studio mandated a "Hot-shot pilot" character. JMS just showed them what he thought of that idea.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

I'll admit I was wrong about Zack, even if it did take him way too long to figure out that maybe the black armband wearing informant network might not be on the up-and-up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The depiction of Cartagia was clearly... let's say inspired by John Hurt's Caligula in I, Claudius, so if you liked that, go watch it. Bonus: Patrick Stewart with hair and Brian Blessed without a beard.

Go watch it anyway. It's one of the greatest dramatic presentations the BBC ever did, and that is not a low bar to clear. You'll come away thinking (HBO's) Rome was poo poo.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Oh Neroon, you magnificent bastard. I scanned your ship.

Admittedly, in his last scene the director should have slapped JMS with a rolled up copy of the script until they got a version that wasn't... aggressively theatrical. Neroon is still a great character.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Is there any point where when presented with a chance to get aggressively theatrical, B5 says 'no'? It's one of my favourite things about the show, there's few things I love more than an actor with a good chunk of scenery in their teeth.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

ThingOne posted:

Well that escalated...everything.

So Earthgov has decided to drop the act and go full fasc and of course that means they're cozying up with the Centauri. Meanwhile the Centauri are so high on their own success they think they could've attacked Babylon 5 and gotten away with it. They're going to overreach eventually and get burned bad and I doubt Space Satan is big on helping out failed minions. I'm not sure if Londo not being able to see Kosh is a sign of how far he's fallen or if it means that the Vorlons never tampered with the Centauri.

Edit: The fact that the Vorlons have apparently conditioned younger races to see them as angels is a bit odd in it's own right. If the Shadows are such bad news it seems like you wouldn't need extra prodding to accept the their help.

Understanding is a three edged sword

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Finally got back to moving through season 3 and just finished And The Rock Cried Out No Hiding Place. Nothing on this Earth could have prepared me for Refa getting offed to that song and I wouldn't have it any other way. That was buckwild.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That episode is one of my favorites

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
One of the moments I look forward to when watching with new viewers. :D

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

nerdman42 posted:

Finally got back to moving through season 3 and just finished And The Rock Cried Out No Hiding Place. Nothing on this Earth could have prepared me for Refa getting offed to that song and I wouldn't have it any other way. That was buckwild.

I think this is the very moment, for me, where the show takes the last turn from excellent, and becomes sublime.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I think this is the very moment, for me, where the show takes the last turn from excellent, and becomes sublime.

I've said it before, but I also think it's the moment when B5 changes from "Trek-esque 80-style thinky sci-fi" to "prestige drama that I'd expect to see on AMC"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Neroon and Ta'Lon were two characters with...maybe a dozen appearances each that fought way above their weight class for character development and importance versus time allowed.